• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

see5harp

^ Uh, I think you must be thinking of someone else. Wilson is the quickest to go down with a slide.

The thing I like about Wilson is his ability to sense and react to pressure while continuing to look downfield. He isn't a runner. He runs out of necessity. He is always moving around the pocket with the ball in a position to throw. Kaepernick is a run second guy. If his first read is covered and he sees a lane he is gone (that's why he has those massive gains at times). Wilson doesn't run until essentially forced. It's definitely what I prefer when evaluating mobile quarterbacks. Reduces hits, takes advantage of defensive breakdowns and is effective against zones and man. The one read to sprint is often a short gain if the defense is in zone. Give receivers time to find holes against a zone and you have multiple options downfield.

In both the 49ers game and the Atlanta game, Wilson did show a ton of patience but when he does run, I've seen him take hits. Nothing crazy like head first dives, but from a casual glimse I feel like Wilson has a little Brett Favre in him. Kaep hadn't had a game where he was a threat to run like that every game. For whatever reason the read option was fooling the linebackers and safeties like every time. Even watching every game, I find it hard to definitely say that this style will carry over into next year, so I'm not trying to make a hard judgement on either guy. It's just one year and Vince Young wasn't that long ago.

eznark

Banned
lol, Vince Young never had close to the output of any of the QB's this year. He threw 30 picks his first two years!

Corrected fully or not, going through that injury twice, he'll be lucky to 90% after recovery.

But a 90% RGIII is still the fastest QB in the nfl

He will be using all of that speed to immediately run to the sideline if he wants to maintain an NFL career.

jmdajr

Houston is going crazy

I've heard calls for Colt McCoy, Vince Young, Keenum, yates..pretty entertaining day

Basically anybody who can run when stuff breaks down. I think yesterday was the final straw lol. Schaub escaping from the pocket and having nobody in front of him yet throws it in dirt. Then he escapes and fumbles the ball with nobody around him.

If you can't run you need an arm.
You can have an average arm if you can extend plays and pick up some yardage on your own if need be.

$60 million gets you none of that here lolz

Fucking LoL. I mean for the most part Matt doesn't throw it around like an idiot, but INT rate sure increased by the end.
But really, what good is running around if you are just throwing around even more INT. I don't wnat a mobile QB if he's just going to cost us more games.

RBH

130113111746-peyton-and-ray-single-image-cut.jpg

Peyton Maning and Ray Lewis had a chance to chat after their their thrilling and draining double overtime game in Denver.

I wonder how closely teams are going to watch those fucking Rams films. Between Kaepernick and Wilson they seem to have it pretty well figured out.
Same with the Dolphins. Kaep had 185 yards passing with 0 TD's against the Dolphins, and only 53 yards rushing (50 of which came on that one crazy play near the end of the game). Russell wasn't bad, 224 yards with 2 TD's and 38 yards rushing, but the Dolphins contained him enough to win that one.

^ Uh, I think you must be thinking of someone else. Wilson is the quickest to go down with a slide.

The thing I like about Wilson is his ability to sense and react to pressure while continuing to look downfield. He isn't a runner. He runs out of necessity. He is always moving around the pocket with the ball in a position to throw. Kaepernick is a run second guy. If his first read is covered and he sees a lane he is gone (that's why he has those massive gains at times). Wilson doesn't run until essentially forced. It's definitely what I prefer when evaluating mobile quarterbacks. Reduces hits, takes advantage of defensive breakdowns and is effective against zones and man. The one read to sprint is often a short gain if the defense is in zone. Give receivers time to find holes against a zone and you have multiple options downfield. Against man it's a defensive trainwreck.

Thanks for putting it more eloquently than I ever could, but your post is a major reason why I like Wilson better than Kaepernick.

jakncoke

Banned
I wonder how closely teams are going to watch those fucking Rams films. Between Kaepernick and Wilson they seem to have it pretty well figured out.

the smart teams that like winning will, losers lose and sit around wondering to themselves what to do

Wilson took a bunch of hits yesterday but usually he gets down fast.

One thing is for certain, between the niners, Seahawks and rams the NFC west has to be considered one of the top 3 divisions in football if not the best

Smokey

Fucking LoL. I mean for the most part Matt doesn't throw it around like an idiot, but INT rate sure increased by the need.

Schaub doesn't take chances though and nobody really knows why. I can only remember one big play this season and that was the Broncos game. Guess what? That big play came off of a PA and OD was WIDE OPEN. I would be ok with more INTs if dude tried to thow the ball downfield.

In a way he's like Alex Smith Sr

edit: oh i forgot we play the nfc west next year. fun

see5harp

Wilson did make the Niners look pretty silly, because even with pressure he found a way to slip away. He did take some sacks after being the initial defender yesterday though. So who knows maybe teams will figure him out as well. Kaep was basically untouched in every long run he had. I don't think he even touched the ground the entire game.

Wilson did make the Niners look pretty silly, because even with pressure he found a way to slip away. He did take some sacks after being the initial defender yesterday though. So who knows maybe teams will figure him out as well. Kaep was basically untouched in every long run he had. I don't think he even touched the ground the entire game.

Kap took one big hit right before he got the unsportsmanlike penalty

Talon

In both the 49ers game and the Atlanta game, Wilson did show a ton of patience but when he does run, I've seen him take hits. Nothing crazy like head first dives, but from a casual glimse I feel like Wilson has a little Brett Favre in him. Kaep hadn't had a game where he was a threat to run like that every game. For whatever reason the read option was fooling the linebackers and safeties like every time. Even watching every game, I find it hard to definitely say that this style will carry over into next year, so I'm not trying to make a hard judgement on either guy. It's just one year and Vince Young wasn't that long ago.
What? Atlanta didn't get a single clean lick on him. Guy was smart and slide to avoid contact every single time.

ari

Banned
Wilson took a bunch of hits yesterday but usually he gets down fast.

One thing is for certain, between the niners, Seahawks and rams the NFC west has to be considered one of the top 3 divisions in football if not the best
Yep, pretty soon the entire nfc will be tough as shit.

I remember telling you before the season started that the rams and seabitches will give you guys some go.

LevelNth

Banned

The thing I like about Wilson is his ability to sense and react to pressure while continuing to look downfield. He isn't a runner. He runs out of necessity. He is always moving around the pocket with the ball in a position to throw. Kaepernick is a run second guy. If his first read is covered and he sees a lane he is gone (that's why he has those massive gains at times). Wilson doesn't run until essentially forced. It's definitely what I prefer when evaluating mobile quarterbacks. Reduces hits, takes advantage of defensive breakdowns and is effective against zones and man. The one read to sprint is often a short gain if the defense is in zone. Give receivers time to find holes against a zone and you have multiple options downfield. Against man it's a defensive trainwreck.
I agree with this and would like to see Kap improve in this regard (though really progression reads is something you always want to see a QB improve on).

However, I also like how quick he is to scramble because his long strides combined with his acceleration speed is just insane. So many scrambles he did on Saturday for many QBs would've just been for 8 or 10 yards; Kap was going for 15-20 before he stepped out.

eznark

Banned
Yup, it is just easier for a defense (that is competent) to shut down than a guy who is moving the ball downfield. You have a decent spy or like I said, play zones and have disciplined edge rushers, and a lot of that is difficult to achieve. It's also a durability issue. You build your offense around a once of a kind athlete and you are up shit creek if he gets dinged, which is more likely in that style of play.

NFC West is certainly better than AFC West and AFC South. After that...eh.

I'd put em better than the NFCN (1 good team) NFCE (0 good teams) as well.

tmdorsey

I think we should have an extra cornerback standing right behind one of the other two. Maybe the refs will not see them.
Actually, ball control, field position, and killing the clock are the keys. Put the 49ers in a position to play catch up all the time. Maybe bring one safety up close to pick up players coming out of the back field or one of the TE's.
Asante Samuel could probably be one on one but Dunta Robinson needs help all the time. I would take a chance and use a safety in place of Dunta and let him be a third cornerback.
The DL will play contain like they did against Seattle. Holding Lynch to under 70 yards helped us quite a bit.

I think this is the key also, I just don't see us slowing down Kap.

I dont like the niners because of Saints history, but FMT is such a classy guy you cant help but want him to be happy. He just asks that we all eat a bag of dicks. Is that so much to ask?

Fuck the Niners. Them mutherfuckas got 5 rings. Move aside let somebody else try to get at least one!

I think it will be great if ATL sits back in a zone and overcompensates because of CK's good rushing game. When given a predictable defense, like the Bear's game, he's shown he can be very successful. It will be even better if ATL is hesitant to send pressure because they're worried about him slipping through into the next level. Please don't let me down Nolan, you owe us !

Nolan don't owe you shit! In fact he's probably so salty from being fired that he is going to work nonstop to create the master gameplan for stopping Kap!

Griffins situation is more of an example of incredible ineptitude in regards to coaching and player safety than it is about Griff himself.

Seriously it can't be hammered home enough how shitty the Shanahans are for what they did.

I'm expecting a full recovery personally. I'm not really worried about his long term future. He'll figure it out.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
This is why I had to scratch my head a bit when people started referring to Wilson as a running quarterback. Sure, he did a bunch of read option this year, but that's not really what he did in college and it's not really his primary strength. It's just that as a shorter-than-average quarterback he has to change how he plays a bit and when the time comes for him to run, he's more than able to.

Also, the game against the Falcons was a game where Wilson could no longer be the QB in a run-first offense like he has most of the year. Seahawks became pass-first that game out of necessity and Wilson carried the offense to 28 points with 385 yards passing (24/36) and 60 yards rushing.

cdyhybrid

It's one thing to do it, it's another to actually be disciplined enough to execute it. I imagine the urge to crush the QB is too great for a lot of guys, and will prevent them from holding back a bit and playing contain every snap.

brentech

Griffins situation is more of an example of incredible ineptitude in regards to coaching and player safety than it is about Griff himself.

Seriously it can't be hammered home enough how shitty the Shanahans are for what they did.

I'm expecting a full recovery personally. I'm not really worried about his long term future. He'll figure it out.
So people are still sticking with the "Griffin takes absolutely no responsibility for himself and his decisions because he's a young man," defense?

mr2xxx

Banned
SF couldn't stop Russel, Seattle couldn't stop RG3 for 2 possessions before he got hurt, and Wash couldn't stop Russell despite all those defenses having an equal guy to practice against. Dual threat QBs are difficult to contain no matter what. Your defense can be as disciplined as you want but you will still end up in a matchup where a defender has to stop a superior athlete one on one, you will lose those. All three of these guys haven't even hot their prime yet which is scary for any defense. When you have a QB than can potentially pass like a Brees/Rodgers/Manning type and the athleticism of a Vick then all a defense can do is pick their poison.

mr2xxx

Banned
So people are still sticking with the "Griffin takes absolutely no responsibility for himself and his decisions because he's a young man," defense?

It's on all three to some degree, but the coach and medical doctor have more blame. Shanny should of taken out Griff out due to inability to be productive as a player as another reason besides the injury. Griff is at fault but in football if you take yourself out then u get called out by the whole world , look at Cutler. When was the last time a coach got critized for taking a player out? Players do everything to stay in the game to their own detriment, that's just how it is, they are there own enemy sometimes.

man, gotta cheer for the 9ers all the way.

Moss needs that ring finally, which is my primary reasoning.

Sorry AtlantaGAF. No one is giving the Falcons a chance and for a 13-3 team it seems like you guys have been shit on all season. Gonna be tough, but hang in there. Stranger things have happened in the past.
Still pissed about the '98 NFC Championship game, though. :p

I'd like to see Ray Lewis go out on top, but Emperor Belichick and Dark Lord Brady are coming. I just hope it's at least a good game, maybe a few Brady temper-tantrums.

49ers vs Patriots SuperBowl.

SonnyBoy

Corrected fully or not, going through that injury twice, he'll be lucky to 90% after recovery.

But a 90% RGIII is still the fastest QB in the nfl

They expect a full recovery, why do you expect 90%?

He is at fault. So is Mike. You needed a layered defense to protect against stuff like this.

SF vs ATL || BAL vs NE

I need Ravens-Niners to win. Pats-Falcons SB is literally my worst nightmare. That may be the only possible scenario where I could see myself rooting for the Patriots.

mr2xxx

Banned
Who does everyone want to win it all?

49ers- Harbaugh needs to be knocked down a notch but otherwise the team is well run without any players I hate. If they win it all at least fans will shut the fuck up about gimmick offenses and the whole "just watch when they get more tape", NO YOU WON'T BIIIIITCHHHH!

Falcons- I enjoy Matty Ice losing for no real reason other than comic fodder but that is out weighed for my love of Tony G and hoping he gets a ring before he retires.

Ravens- Only reason I like the ravens is that they are the Steelers bitter rival, as they say the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I like Ray despite his homicidal ways and religious zealotry. He is a great leader and turned his life around so I could get behind that. Also I love Suggs and wish I could get a plushie of him with his exposed gums looking like the predator.

Pats- Fuck those cheating scum!!

Top Bottom