• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

I'll be okay with the Ravens or Falcons taking it but I'm sick of hearing about the 49'ers. I forget who the other team is but I know I don't want them to win it.

Who does everyone want to win it all?

49ers- Harbaugh needs to be knocked down a notch but otherwise the team is well run without any players I hate. If they win it all at least fans will shut the fuck up about gimmick offenses and the whole "just watch win they get more tape", NO YOU WON'T BIIIIITCHHHH!

Falcons- I enjoy Matty Ice losing for no real reason other than comic fodder but that is out weighed for my love of Tony G and hoping he gets a ring before he retires.

Ravens- Only reason I like the ravens is that they are the Steelers bitter rival, as they say the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I like Ray despite his homicidal ways and religious zealotry. He is a great leader and turned his life around so I could get behind that. Also I love Suggs and wish I could get a plushie of him with his exposed gums looking like the predator.

Pats- Fuck those cheating scum!!
At this point I don't really care who wins. I wanted a Denver-Seattle Super Bowl game but that isn't going to happen. Now all my hopes and dreams rests upon SUPER HARBOWL.

see5harp

To be fair to the Niners they have a lot more weapons than just a dynamic QB. It wouldn't surprise me if next year teams plan a lot more to stop Kaep, but they've had a super awesome defense and top 5 offensive line for a couple years now (not to mention their very solid running game). It's not like Eric Crouch was ever going to be a great NFL QB.

Godslay

Banned
Shirtless League needs a logo and a theme song.

Post more.

I think, I could pull some of that off. My Photoshop skills are mediocre at best. As far as posting more, I think I had the most posts in last weeks thread. I don't want to end up in rehab like Milchjon.

When you get the time, read Barnwell's take on it. Nothing but excuses.

It is full of excuses. I'd have to look back on all those Indy games and see how things panned out, because quite frankly outside of the games he played against Denver, I don't really remember much. I'll take that he didn't play to his potential in a lot of them, particularly his one and dones.

In terms of what he did Saturday, there were many people involved in the loss. Peyton, Moore, Prater, Champ, oline holding, stupid penalties, Fox/McCoy turtling, etc. The one play that broke the back was Moore giving up the TD. The death blow was Peyton's interception. An old hand like himself shouldn't be making mistakes like that. Maybe he is a playoff choker, but he's our QB and he will have to get it sorted out. As far as I'm concerned he is 0-1, the team is 0-1 in the playoffs, and there are no excuses going forward. Put up or shut up, the only one who can control his destiny going forward is him.

Good read.

Wellington said:
I'm jumping on the Falcons bandwagon.
I gave Falcons-Gaf my sword yesterday. Primarily on the basis of Tony G getting a ring. To hell with Falcons-Gaf.

I kid. Most of Falcons-Gaf are good people

So I'm posting this up to actually gauge real interest in an "advanced" football thread. I've been talking with chuckddd, squicken and LJ to get their opinions and here's the basics about the thread:

- Advanced and even novice talk on football: Schemes, football 101, film study/breakdown. Specific team strategy is fine as well. If you want to get into why you think your coordinator sucks that's fine but give specific examples/analysis that goes outside of "Dude doesn't make good half time adjustments!" Really? Why? Prove it!
- All-22 film breakdown ties into that. Posting articles/links doing the same is fine as well and can be discussed.
- Typical weekly thread memes are out. Not saying a little ribbing here and there is bad (and we certainly want to keep it fun) but we have plenty of that in main weekly threads already so keeping it a bit more focused is the goal. No Gatas, you people, freeman taco jokes etc. and all of that shit.
- Conversation can be as simple as "What is a 3-4" and that's ok. If it's something that folks are interested in, we can do a simple FAQ on football basics that answer such questions (I'm glad to write it and it can be added to) for newbies.
- General team or NFL related news like FA signings, GM/coach changes etc should be in the weekly or offseason threads as normal
- Draft analysis and prospect analysis is fine!

Thoughts? If there's really no interest in it, then that's fine. It doesn't hurt and if the answer is a resounding no I won't bother putting the work into it.

mr2xxx

Banned
To be fair to the Niners they have a lot more weapons than just a dynamic QB. It wouldn't surprise me if next year teams plan a lot more to stop Kaep, but they've had a super awesome defense and top 5 offensive line for a couple years now (not to mention their very solid running game). It's not like Eric Crouch was ever going to be a great NFL QB.

They do have a great team but a dual threat QB also helps the o-line and RBs perform much better. WHile SF already had a good team mainly to their defense now offensively they can put up points. Seattle, Washington, and Carolina where probably in the bottom third offensively before they got their QBs and they improved dramatically.Also none of these QBs have elite receiving cores but they manage just fine. The bar has been raised and this is the future of the QB position

ari

Banned
So I'm posting this up to actually gauge real interest in an "advanced" football thread. I've been talking with chuckddd, squicken and LJ to get their opinions and here's the basics about the thread:

- Advanced and even novice talk on football: Schemes, football 101, film study/breakdown. Specific team strategy is fine as well. If you want to get into why you think your coordinator sucks that's fine but give specific examples/analysis that goes outside of "Dude doesn't make good half time adjustments!" Really? Why? Prove it!
- All-22 film breakdown ties into that. Posting articles/links doing the same is fine as well and can be discussed.
- Typical weekly thread memes are out. Not saying a little ribbing here and there is bad (and we certainly want to keep it fun) but we have plenty of that in main weekly threads already so keeping it a bit more focused is the goal. No Gatas, you people, freeman taco jokes etc. and all of that shit.
- Conversation can be as simple as "What is a 3-4" and that's ok. If it's something that folks are interested in, we can do a simple FAQ on football basics that answer such questions (I'm glad to write it and it can be added to) for newbies.
- General team or NFL related news like FA signings, GM/coach changes etc should be in the weekly or offseason threads as normal

Thoughts? If there's really no interest in it, then that's fine. It doesn't hurt and if the answer is a resounding no I won't bother putting the work into it.
Why not set the rules for these threads? Two threads is overkill, no?

Interested.

Also, offended you didn't talk to me. :(

mr2xxx

Banned

I'm interested in it but honestly how many regulars know enough to have a meaningful conversation? Maybe combine it with college football GAF since it seems that the information could be useful to both groups and will increase the amount of discussion.

Milchjon

If I do a scientific breakdown of Brady's hotness, is that ok too?

I'm kind of torn. On the one hand, I can understand the desire to have a thread that focuses more on the game's finer points and I would certainly be interested in learning from it (and contributing what little I can). There is definitely a tendency for real football talk to get lost in this thread at times. On the other hand, I'm not particularly fond of the idea of having to keep up with two threads as opposed to one, plus there will be a constant issue of trying to maintain "rules" and not knowing what is right/wrong to post in one thread or the other. It could also serve to make the normal weekly thread even "worse" than it currently is.

Personally I'm okay with the way things are since I like the nice mixture of seriousness and goofiness that comes with the normal NFL thread, but I can definitely see where you guys are coming from and at times I share the same sentiments. So yeah, this probably wasn't very helpful but that's more or less where I'm at with the idea --- on the fence.

mr2xxx said:
Maybe combine it with college football GAF since it seems that the information could be useful to both groups and will increase the amount of discussion.
ALL football is included. Not just NFL. College and even high school can be discussed. Should have made that clear.

Novices can play as well. Hopefully the thread will help to educate.

The_Darkest_Red said:
So yeah, this probably wasn't very helpful
Compared to BS, you were a fucking well of information.:)

see5harp

They do have a great team but a dual threat QB also helps the o-line and RBs perform much better. WHile SF already had a good team mainly to their defense now offensively they can put up points. Seattle, Washington, and Carolina where probably in the bottom third offensively before they got their QBs and they improved dramatically.Also none of these QBs have elite receiving cores but they manage just fine. The bar has been raised and this is the future of the QB position

Well yea, I think he elevates the offense for sure. They look a lot more unpredictable and I actually see Randy Moss catch balls.

eznark

Banned

:|

This alone makes it worthwhile.

FV, I don't think you really need to gauge interest beyond a strong core. As long as you have 5-6 guys who are passionate about the subject matter the thread will be successful, especially in community where the thread count is small anyway. Just do it and see if it sinks or swims.

You and I will start our own thread. With blackjack, and hookers!

Ez and Deacon, you know I'm going to hit you guys up before the thread is created if there's interest. No offense intended.:(

DeaconKnowledge said:
FV, I don't think you really need to gauge interest beyond a strong core. As long as you have 5-6 guys who are passionate about the subject matter the thread will be successful, especially in community where the thread count is small anyway. Just do it and see if it sinks or swims.
That's what I'm thinking. Be a worthwhile experiment at the very minimum.

Really shitty part is PM'ing sucks. Can't do multiple users. You guys that want in at the ground level on trillian, AIM etc? Send me your usernames...

Nightz

I'd be interested in learning the finer points of football. I read portions of Take Your Eye Off the Ball a couple of years ago. I should find my copy in finish reading it.

eznark

Banned
I wonder if all-22's will be cheaper in the off-season. It'd be cool to see people go back to that and do write ups on games or plays they found meaningful. Each person does one a week or something. Probably wishful thinking but right now the cost is prohibitive to really expect a lot of interest in that.

I love reading the various gif heavy play analysis by armchair clowns like me. Always interesting to see how other people see the game. Boring as hell to most people though!

I'm kind of torn. On the one hand, I can understand the desire to have a thread that focuses more on the game's finer points and I would certainly be interested in learning from it (and contributing what little I can). There is definitely a tendency for real football talk to get lost in this thread at times. On the other hand, I'm not particularly fond of the idea of having to keep up with two threads as opposed to one, plus there will be a constant issue of trying to maintain "rules" and not knowing what is right/wrong to post in one thread or the other. It could also serve to make the normal weekly thread even "worse" than it currently is.

Personally I'm okay with the way things are since I like the nice mixture of seriousness and goofiness that comes with the normal NFL thread, but I can definitely see where you guys are coming from and at times I share the same sentiments. So yeah, this probably wasn't very helpful but that's more or less where I'm at with the idea --- on the fence.

NFL-Age doesn't need to change. This is the major thread and will probably always be the major thread. There really are no rules here.

What FV is proposing is a thread that is dedicated to high level talk. Participation isn't mandatory, but if you're interested, post.

Talon

People still use AIM?

There's a video floating around of Arthur Blank anxiously watching that last play on the sideline. Guy looks beyond ecstatic when Julio finally catches it. After being owned by that cheap sod Rankin Smith for all those years, it's amazing to have a locally-based owner that cares so damn much.

eznark said:
I wonder if all-22's will be cheaper in the off-season. It'd be cool to see people go back to that and do write ups on games or plays they found meaningful. Each person does one a week or something. Probably wishful thinking but right now the cost is prohibitive to really expect a lot of interest in that.

I love reading the various gif heavy play analysis by armchair clowns like me. Always interesting to see how other people see the game. Boring as hell to most people though!
Yep. Exactly what I'd love to see in that thread. I really need to sit down and learn how to do gifs. I watch a ton of the stuff but never do much in the post department cause I hate going through it without something visual. Creation of the thread would be a big kick in the ass for me to get with it.

Talon said:
People still use AIM?
Trillian with an AIM account I suppose for me.

NFL-Age doesn't need to change. This is the major thread and will probably always be the major thread. There really are no rules here.

What FV is proposing is a thread that is dedicated to high level talk. Participation isn't mandatory, but if you're interested, post.
Yeah, I'm probably over-thinking it. It seems like a worthwhile experiment, at the least.

Talon

Yep. Exactly what I'd love to see in that thread. I really need to sit down and learn how to do gifs.
Yeah, I would love to do this. I actually record the Falcons game and go back to chart what position groups we used, what formations were used, etc. Just for my personal edification. It's painful at times - like the 2010 GB game. I've posted those in here a few times, but they get swallowed up by Tacoman.

How about a thread where we isolate all the Patriot fans? I can see it now:

Patriots GAF |OT| It's Okay we lost to Baltimore, Tom Dreamboat Brady is still the Handsomest QB Offseason Thread 2013

Yep. Exactly what I'd love to see in that thread. I really need to sit down and learn how to do gifs. I watch a ton of the stuff but never do much in the post department cause I hate going through it without something visual. Creation of the thread would be a big kick in the ass for me to get with it.

I never started doing it because I REALLY didn't want to be consumed with scouring All-22's all day.

To be serious, I'd ask a lot of questions in that thread.

Will one of the questions be "How many favorite NFL teams is too many favorite teams to have?"

How about a thread where we isolate all the Patriot fans? I can see it now:

Patriots GAF |OT| It's Okay we lost to Baltimore, Tom Dreamboat Brady is still the Handsomest QB Offseason Thread 2013

You can't lament the memes and trash talk, and then pull this shit. Fuck you, man. Fuck you sideways.

tmdorsey

People still use AIM?

There's a video floating around of Arthur Blank anxiously watching that last play on the sideline. Guy looks beyond ecstatic when Julio finally catches it. After being owned by that cheap sod Rankin Smith for all those years, it's amazing to have a locally-based owner that cares so damn much.

Seriously. The first owner this city has had that actually gives a shit since Ted Turner.

To be fair, it kinda is. It's like the Book of Mormon and Mormonism. Held up to a high place but not really that important for rules, doctrine, and beliefs.

What happened to Hito? I always thought you were a company man.

You can't lament the memes and trash talk, and then pull this shit. Fuck you, man. Fuck you sideways.

Ah, but in THIS thread, anything goes.....well, almost anything.

squicken

At least one of the ideas was to use that thread for more in-depth draft stuff, and that will probably have to include CFB stuff. That thread will have much less traffic than the main NFL thread. Things just move to fast here to sustain any sort of conversation on a topic. It's not going to be a splinter thread. All the socializing (movies, games, scat porn) and Adam Schefter news will stay in the main community thread.

I just think the important thing is to keep it accessible, and not criticize people for asking basic question. If someone wants to know why the Saints D is so awful, but can't really be correct with terminology, it shouldn't provoke "L-O-L"

Guess an item of discussion is things like stats and grades from PFF, for instance. Do we keep those discussions in the primary or the Professor Football thread?

Top Bottom