• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

Drakeon

I had the Niners as a lock until I remembered that they had Moss.

Dude is cursed. Unless they bench him i have a bad feeling the lesser Baugh will win the Superbowl.

Also over/ under: 8 murders/attempted murders committed by Niner fans on SB Sunday.

Moss and Crabtree are our only two receivers outside of AJ Jenkins (who apparently is a bust), and Chad Hall (who A) saw more snaps then AJ Jenkins sunday and B) was just elevated from the practice squad). I mean, yeah we throw to Davis and Walker a lot, but Manningham and Kyle Williams are both on IR so, we ain't got much choice.

At least LMJ seems to be doing well.

bionic77

Moss and Crabtree are our only two receivers outside of AJ Jenkins (who apparently is a bust), and Chad Hall (who A) saw more snaps then AJ Jenkins sunday and B) was just elevated from the practice squad). I mean, yeah we throw to Davis and Walker a lot, but Manningham and Kyle Williams are both on IR so, we ain't got much choice.

You will beat the Ravens by 20 without Moss but will lose by a last second FG (Aker will have missed at least 4 in the second scenario) if he plays.

verbum

On Sunday night after the Ravens had defeated the Patriots, Terrell Suggs told the New England players to “have fun at the Pro Bowl.” Soon, there may be no Patriots on the AFC roster left to enjoy Hawaii. Wes Welker, Logan Mankins and Vince Wilfork have withdrawn from the Pro Bowl, according to Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald. Tom Brady has also dropped out, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com. That leaves Jerod Mayo and Matthew Slater as the only New England representatives on the AFC roster. Rookie Andrew Luck will replace the Patriots’ quarterback. Brady has been named to eight Pro Bowls, but he’s only participated in two of them. He traveled to Honolulu for the 2001 Pro Bowl and the 2004 Pro Bowl.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/01/report-wes-welker-logan-mankins-vince-wilfork-withdraw-from-pro-bowl/

http://nesn.com/2013/01/report-wes-welker-logan-mankins-vince-wilfork-withdraw-from-pro-bowl/

Why does the NFL have a Pro Bowl anyway? Make the workers squeeze out one more penny for the rich owners. Damn rich folks, think they own everything. Maybe they do, but they don't have to rub our noses in it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Jim Schwartz: Critics of Lions’ D don’t know what they’re talking about:

Lions coach Jim Schwartz says he has no plans to change the alignment he uses on Detroit’s defensive line. And he says people who attribute the Lions’ rough season to that alignment are ignorant.

Schwartz told reporters today that he will not consider shifting from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense, and that he will continue to use the Wide 9 to give his defensive ends a leg up on rushing to the outside, and he doesn’t believe that makes the Lions any different from any other team.

“We didn’t have enough sacks this year,” Schwartz said, via MLive.com. “To be able to blame that on the Wide 9, the people that say that really don’t know what they’re talking about. Every team in league, when it’s third down, lines up exactly the way we do it. It puts guys in the best position to rush the passer.”

Schwartz said the Lions have the right personnel for the defense he runs, and he sees no reason to change.

“You always have a philosophy and the philosophy is behind your player acquisitions,” Schwartz said. “You always have a plan for every player. You don’t just pull names out of a hat and say, ‘Hey, this is where you’re going to fit him.’ . . . We predominately play a Wide 9, but we play other fronts. I think it depends on the personnel, how we go through our OTAs, everything. We’re always working to look at and tweak. You never say never, but that’s our base front.”

The Lions’ defense took a step backward in 2012, but Schwartz isn’t going to blame the scheme for that. The blame, apparently, lies with the players.

Maybe a good conversation starter in the strategy/analysis thread? ;P

Edgeward

Oh God, Niners have another Rashaun Woods on their hands with Jenkins?

Talon

So, as y'all can imagine, my heart is broken. Stewed on a two hour plain ride right after the game, after enduring a Ravens and 49ers bandwagoner (yes, both teams, what the fuck?) gloating for thirty minutes.

Sports fandom is a weird beast. We get so emotionally invested in a result that you yourself cannot control in any way, and your team's failures feel as bad as your own personal failures.

Second half is on the offense. You score 2 FG, you trot into the Superdome. I take a very small amount of solace in the fact that these are the growing pains felt by a team trying to establish a new identity. Hell, both the 49ers and Ravens had heart breaking losses in the same round last season.

But, after years of frustration, this loss hits harder than the 2004 loss in the Linc. We have absolutely no history in a transplant city, and we've come a long way as a fanbase (despite my perpetual disgust with bandwagoners of all stripes).

Feelings are too raw for me to talk about the X's and O's quite yet. Offensive Line played above and beyond the last two weeks. Aldon was winning the battle with Baker all day, but Koetter obviously schemed to have Baker push him out and let Matt step into the void. Unfortunately, the last two drives, Baker couldn't hold up as much. Most clear example of that was when Matt had to reset on that seam route with Julio on the left side. I won't be sad seeing Konz take McClure's place in the coming years, though.

I don't know if Tony was open on that last play, but I don't like the idea of Roddy playing low across the middle. There will always be contact in that part of the field late in games, at least give him secondary action. I was less happy with moving the pocket on third down. For five years our go-to play on crucial third downs has been Roddy on a sideline comeback route with a TE on that side clearing out. Use the entire field, not just the down marker.

I will say that, overall, for the season, the defensive personnel and scheme were built around containing Brees, Eli, and AGod - frustrating pocket passers. We just happened to run into the two guys that can make shit happen on their legs in the playoffs. That was shown clearly the last two weeks - we don't have enough difference makers in the front 7 to keep the opposing offense engaged. Peters played the game of his life for the first half, but Abe was ineffective with that ankle and having to keep the edge contained. Spoon has been overrated for two seasons - Nicholas does about the same job shedding blocks.

TL;DR This loss hurts, but I know that Ravens, Packers, 49ers, Patriots, Colts, Panthers, etc. fans have all felt this shit. I have confidence that this FO will bounce back. Coming from the start of the season, I've been impressed with the strides made by the two new coordinators in one season. Hard to maintain continuity or improve by this margin after swapping out both guys.

Congrats to 49ers GAF.

squicken

Damn talon, great post. That's a good point on how you have to build your team, but don't they have to change it up now that you'll play Kap and Russ next year, and Cam twice every year? It's definitely a diverse division. Couldn't be more opposite than trying to stop Brees vs stopping Cam

Talon

Damn talon, great post. That's a good point on how you have to build your team, but don't they have to change it up now that you'll play Kap and Russ next year, and Cam twice every year? It's definitely a diverse division. Couldn't be more opposite than trying to stop Brees vs stopping Cam
We definitely will have to. It's a tough league - the pendulum has swung even further towards offenses, as if that was even possible. It might be time for the 5-2 to make a comeback.

I trust Nolan a hell of a lot more than Turkeyneck. Decoud and Moore made huge strides in coverage this year, and that is all on Nolan in my estimation considering the lack of pass rushing talent on the field.

There were still plays to be made on the field yesterday by the defense. Decoud missed a tackle on third down during the second scoring drive - although, to be fair, he was caught between making a play on the ball and wrapping up. Nicholas did the same in the third quarter 2 yards short of the first down line. And then of course Matthews slap on Kaep's facemask.

The plan of holding the strong side end was sound, the second level guy to fill that hole didn't show up in the second half. All credit to Kaep, he made the right read almost every play in the last 42 minutes of the game.

Chances are that we wouldn't be talking about any of this if Matt doesn't fumble the snap (or if we bounce on top of it). But, as always, I'm never going to close the book on a player just five years into his career. What made yesterday hurt so much more is that I've seen us win in that situation so many times.

The Falcons have been sitting on a mediocre defense for years. They're like the Saints, have no impact players on defense, and all stars on offense. Fitting that their D was their undoing at the end.

The Falcons have been sitting on amediocre defense for years. They're like the Saints, have no impact players on defense, and all stars on offense. Fitting that their D was their undoing at the end.
I wouldn't say they have no impact players. Moore is a helluva safety (from what I've seen of him) and they've got some quality corners in the back field. The problem is they lack those impact players on the defensive line. Problematic when you're running a 4-3 or the hybrid 3-4 Nolan likes to field at times.

jakncoke

Banned
I think these are 2 good analogies to winning and losing

Winning is = to the feeling when you just nutted after a great fuck but its extended even further

Losing is the same kind pain you feel walking in on the your wife of 20 years fucking your brother

So, as y'all can imagine, my heart is broken. Stewed on a two hour plain ride right after the game, after enduring a Ravens and 49ers bandwagoner (yes, both teams, what the fuck?) gloating for thirty minutes.

Sports fandom is a weird beast. We get so emotionally invested in a result that you yourself cannot control in any way, and your team's failures feel as bad as your own personal failures.

Second half is on the offense. You score 2 FG, you trot into the Superdome. I take a very small amount of solace in the fact that these are the growing pains felt by a team trying to establish a new identity. Hell, both the 49ers and Ravens had heart breaking losses in the same round last season.

But, after years of frustration, this loss hits harder than the 2004 loss in the Linc. We have absolutely no history in a transplant city, and we've come a long way as a fanbase (despite my perpetual disgust with bandwagoners of all stripes).

Feelings are too raw for me to talk about the X's and O's quite yet. Offensive Line played above and beyond the last two weeks. Aldon was winning the battle with Baker all day, but Koetter obviously schemed to have Baker push him out and let Matt step into the void. Unfortunately, the last two drives, Baker couldn't hold up as much. Most clear example of that was when Matt had to reset on that seam route with Julio on the left side. I won't be sad seeing Konz take McClure's place in the coming years, though.

I don't know if Tony was open on that last play, but I don't like the idea of Roddy playing low across the middle. There will always be contact in that part of the field late in games, at least give him secondary action. I was less happy with moving the pocket on third down. For five years our go-to play on crucial third downs has been Roddy on a sideline comeback route with a TE on that side clearing out. Use the entire field, not just the down marker.

I will say that, overall, for the season, the defensive personnel and scheme were built around containing Brees, Eli, and AGod - frustrating pocket passers. We just happened to run into the two guys that can make shit happen on their legs in the playoffs. That was shown clearly the last two weeks - we don't have enough difference makers in the front 7 to keep the opposing offense engaged. Peters played the game of his life for the first half, but Abe was ineffective with that ankle and having to keep the edge contained. Spoon has been overrated for two seasons - Nicholas does about the same job shedding blocks.

TL;DR This loss hurts, but I know that Ravens, Packers, 49ers, Patriots, Colts, Panthers, etc. fans have all felt this shit. I have confidence that this FO will bounce back. Coming from the start of the season, I've been impressed with the strides made by the two new coordinators in one season. Hard to maintain continuity or improve by this margin after swapping out both guys.

Congrats to 49ers GAF.

dude i was absolutely emotionally obliterated after last years loss to the giants. i didn't watch NFLN or espn until probably mid-march. i didn't watch the superbowl. i can't ever remember being more dejected than i was last year. you go through a whole season, you have a lot of things fall your way, you get a home playoff game with a chance to go to the superbowl, you are so close to getting there and then it just doesn't happen. there isn't a shittier feeling and i wish i could say you will get over it but you never will. you will feel better about it in a month or two or whenever but i am still pissed about last years NFC championship game and that is a day after we won this years!

football is a strange beast. i always think back to the speech from any given sunday that al pacino gives and although its kind of sappy and you can laugh at it with the dramatic music and so on it really does hold true in football. tough loss brotha and even with all my fuck you's to all the falcons trying to get a rise out of falcons-gaf i feel your pain and a lot of other fans do too

verbum

We definitely will have to. It's a tough league - the pendulum has swung even further towards offenses, as if that was even possible. It might be time for the 5-2 to make a comeback.

I trust Nolan a hell of a lot more than Turkeyneck. Decoud and Moore made huge strides in coverage this year, and that is all on Nolan in my estimation considering the lack of pass rushing talent on the field.

There were still plays to be made on the field yesterday by the defense. Decoud missed a tackle on third down during the second scoring drive - although, to be fair, he was caught between making a play on the ball and wrapping up. Nicholas did the same in the third quarter 2 yards short of the first down line. And then of course Matthews slap on Kaep's facemask.

The plan of holding the strong side end was sound, the second level guy to fill that hole didn't show up in the second half. All credit to Kaep, he made the right read almost every play in the last 42 minutes of the game.

Chances are that we wouldn't be talking about any of this if Matt doesn't fumble the snap (or if we bounce on top of it). But, as always, I'm never going to close the book on a player just five years into his career. What made yesterday hurt so much more is that I've seen us win in that situation so many times.

We used up our quota of luck the week before. I think even one interception would have changed the momentum. I think Nolan was counting on Davis to be left out of the 49ers offense except for blocking.

Talon

dude i was absolutely emotionally obliterated after last years loss to the giants. i didn't watch NFLN or espn until probably mid-march. i didn't watch the superbowl. i can't ever remember being more dejected than i was last year. you go through a whole season, you have a lot of things fall your way, you get a home playoff game with a chance to go to the superbowl, you are so close to getting there and then it just doesn't happen. there isn't a shittier feeling and i wish i could say you will get over it but you never will. you will feel better about it in a month or two or whenever but i am still pissed about last years NFC championship game and that is a day after we won this years!

football is a strange beast. i always think back to the speech from any given sunday that al pacino gives and although its kind of sappy and you can laugh at it with the dramatic music and so on it really does hold true in football. tough loss brotha and even with all my fuck you's to all the falcons trying to get a rise out of falcons-gaf i feel your pain and a lot of other fans do too
Thanks dude.

I'm going to have a hard time watching the Super Bowl as well. I turned on the TV this morning, and my GF all but slapped the remote out of my hand to turn it off. Smart girl.

We used up our quota of luck the week before. I think even one interception would have changed the momentum. I think Nolan was counting on Davis to be left out of the 49ers offense except for blocking.

i don't understand the dumbass talking heads this morning saying "WELL WELL WELL THE 49ERS FINALLY GET VERNON DAVIS INVOLVED!"

do they think VD has just been running open the past 7 or 8 weeks? do they think kap is ignoring him wide open? no. teams have been taking him away. why do you thinks crabs has blown up? you want to take away VD, we'll go to crabcakes. you want to take away crabcakes we'll go to VD. you want to take away both we'll just have kap do the heavy lifting. not that you will or care to, but watch some of the stuff over the past few weeks. defense pays so much attention to VD kap would be a retard to go there in a lot of instances. are you going to throw to VD triple covered or crabtree wide open? are you going to throw to VD double covered with a CB and safety or throw to delaine walker 1 on 1 with a linebacker? kap is a smart fellow in this regard.

poll_zpsbd4ca2a1.jpg

hmm

I think these are 2 good analogies to winning and losing

Winning is = to the feeling when you just nutted after a great fuck but its extended even further

Losing is the same kind pain you feel walking in on the your wife of 20 years fucking your brother
Lol WTF :jnc

JCizzle

Thanks dude.

I'm going to have a hard time watching the Super Bowl as well. I turned on the TV this morning, and my GF all but slapped the remote out of my hand to turn it off. Smart girl.

The good news is that there is more talk of the Pats choking than the Falcons. Brady is a much bigger target for ESPN.

cdyhybrid

What made yesterday hurt so much more is that I've seen us win in that situation so many times.

Can't keep riding that train. Making furious, last-minute comebacks your M.O. is only going to lead to crapping out at the worst possible time. UW had won 11 straight games decided by 7 or less, and that streak ended in the Apple Cup with an enormous amount of momentum for the program on the line. It was the most devastating loss I've had to deal with in a long time.

football is a strange beast. i always think back to the speech from any given sunday that al pacino gives and although its kind of sappy and you can laugh at it with the dramatic music and so on it really does hold true in football.

That speech really is god-tier. I don't care how cheesy or contrived it is.

Top Bottom