• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

tmdorsey

So, as y'all can imagine, my heart is broken. Stewed on a two hour plain ride right after the game, after enduring a Ravens and 49ers bandwagoner (yes, both teams, what the fuck?) gloating for thirty minutes.

Sports fandom is a weird beast. We get so emotionally invested in a result that you yourself cannot control in any way, and your team's failures feel as bad as your own personal failures.

Second half is on the offense. You score 2 FG, you trot into the Superdome. I take a very small amount of solace in the fact that these are the growing pains felt by a team trying to establish a new identity. Hell, both the 49ers and Ravens had heart breaking losses in the same round last season.

But, after years of frustration, this loss hits harder than the 2004 loss in the Linc. We have absolutely no history in a transplant city, and we've come a long way as a fanbase (despite my perpetual disgust with bandwagoners of all stripes).

Feelings are too raw for me to talk about the X's and O's quite yet. Offensive Line played above and beyond the last two weeks. Aldon was winning the battle with Baker all day, but Koetter obviously schemed to have Baker push him out and let Matt step into the void. Unfortunately, the last two drives, Baker couldn't hold up as much. Most clear example of that was when Matt had to reset on that seam route with Julio on the left side. I won't be sad seeing Konz take McClure's place in the coming years, though.

I don't know if Tony was open on that last play, but I don't like the idea of Roddy playing low across the middle. There will always be contact in that part of the field late in games, at least give him secondary action. I was less happy with moving the pocket on third down. For five years our go-to play on crucial third downs has been Roddy on a sideline comeback route with a TE on that side clearing out. Use the entire field, not just the down marker.

I will say that, overall, for the season, the defensive personnel and scheme were built around containing Brees, Eli, and AGod - frustrating pocket passers. We just happened to run into the two guys that can make shit happen on their legs in the playoffs. That was shown clearly the last two weeks - we don't have enough difference makers in the front 7 to keep the opposing offense engaged. Peters played the game of his life for the first half, but Abe was ineffective with that ankle and having to keep the edge contained. Spoon has been overrated for two seasons - Nicholas does about the same job shedding blocks.

TL;DR This loss hurts, but I know that Ravens, Packers, 49ers, Patriots, Colts, Panthers, etc. fans have all felt this shit. I have confidence that this FO will bounce back. Coming from the start of the season, I've been impressed with the strides made by the two new coordinators in one season. Hard to maintain continuity or improve by this margin after swapping out both guys.

Congrats to 49ers GAF.

Yeah man tell me about it. :-/ I seriously don't give a shit about the Superbowl now.
Those turnovers in the second half were back breakers and I for the life of me still don't understand calling that roll out on the 3rd down in the series.

10 yards away from a possible trip to the Superbowl. Fuck me.

This Superbowl is making me feel old as shit. I can remember so many details from the night of our last Superbowl, and now....it's 12 fucking years later. Damn.

Niners fans, I know most of you are new to football, but your team has actually won several times. You can read about it on Wikipedia.

Narag

This Superbowl is making me feel old as shit. I can remember so many details from the night of our last Superbowl, and now....it's 12 fucking years later. Damn.

Niners fans, I know most of you are new to football, but your team has actually won several times. You can read about it on Wikipedia.

I was talking to someone today that was glad that the Ravens beat the Patriots as he wanted a team that had never been there to get to the Super Bowl.

Godslay

Banned
Alright I don't really care about other pats fans... people sit here bitching about classless boston, so on so forth, but all of a sudden it becomes ok to cheer for pats injuries and the ill of those people. That's fine obviously we won't see eye to eye on this, your a classless asshole.

Damn dude, pretty much a whole page of whining. Let it go. DK is a good guy.

If you can't take a little internet shit talking I think you need to find a different hobby. Better yet, don't read the posts during game time. You're bound to be offended by something someone says. I've dealt with hearing noodle arms, people wanting to snap Peyton's surgically repaired neck, as well as many others. So has every other team that posts in here. If it's not a taco joke, it's a rapist joke, so on and so forth. Take a step back.

Narag

If you can't take a little internet shit talking I think you need to find a different hobby. Better yet, don't read the posts during game time. You're bound to be offended by something someone says. I've dealt with hearing noodle arms, people wanting to snap Peyton's surgically repaired neck, as well as many others. So has every other team that posts in here. If it's not a taco joke, it's a rapist joke, so on and so forth. Take a step back.

The Chefs get off easy thanks to that damned Snickers commercial.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
t-brady-b-pollard.jpg

A real American hero.

In addition to Romo, pretty sure there was jubilation when Favre went out on the cart.

I recall making fun of the guy who laughed at Gonk's injury because it wasn't the fact he was laughing at the injury, it was how he did it. See, laughing at injuries requires a bit of gallows type humor or snark. Something clever.

I don't think anyone really empathizes with these players beyond the game and frankly, their level of compensation for playing the game puts them beyond empathy. Injury is a natural risk of the sport and they are paid very, very well in return.

On the other hand, amateur athletes especially at the collegiate level will almost always get more sympathy when they are injured, and the high school players more so, and so on and so forth. I wouldn't rejoice the injury of some college player but some people might if it meant that their team would have a better chance at winning a title.

etiolate

Banned
Supah Bowl memories?

My best Super Bowl memory was watching Super Bowl XXIII. I watched it at my Grandpa's house with my Dad and that side of the family. They were all originally from Ohio and mostly Bengal fans. When John Taylor caught that late TD pass there was a lot of groaning from them and dancing on the couch from me.

But the big memory was the following year when the Niners blew out the Broncos. Same house, same people, except they were all alright with the Niners winning. My dad had just sold his old Chevy to my Grandpa's neighbor. As the game went on, this neighbor got more and more drunk. As they got drunk, they began spray painting onto the newly purchased car. Pretty soon their yelling and stomping on top of the car was louder than the game itself. I'd peek out there and the neighbor would be shirtless, drunk and stomping on top of the hood of a Chevy Chevelle with a spray paint can. Each time the Niners scored, he'd paint the updated score onto the car. By the end of the game both he and the car were a mess. Then the neighbor drives off, whooping and hollering.

The next day my Dad gets a call from the police asking about his car. My Dad informs him that he had just sold the car. The police inform him that they had found the car burning in the middle of an empty field with "Elway sucks" painted on the remaining un-scorched parts of the car.

The neighbor was okay. Nobody was hurt. We had no idea how he got home or how he ended up in the middle of an empty field or why the car was lit on fire. It was like he was having his own little celebratory riot.

Talon

Yeah man tell me about it. :-/ I seriously don't give a shit about the Superbowl now.
Those turnovers in the second half were back breakers and I for the life of me still don't understand calling that roll out on the 3rd down in the series.

10 yards away from a possible trip to the Superbowl. Fuck me.
I don't get it either, man. Must have been even worse being at the game. :( I had hoped that Mularkey had taken all that malarkey away with him.

At least it wasn't two straight Turner hand offs up the middle for no gain.
Supah Bowl memories?

My best Super Bowl memory was watching Super Bowl XXIII. I watched it at my Grandpa's house with my Dad and that side of the family. They were all originally from Ohio and mostly Bengal fans. When John Taylor caught that late TD pass there was a lot of groaning from them and dancing on the couch from me.

But the big memory was the following year when the Niners blew out the Broncos. Same house, same people, except they were all alright with the Niners winning. My dad had just sold his old Chevy to my Grandpa's neighbor. As the game went on, this neighbor got more and more drunk. As they got drunk, they began spray painting onto the newly purchased car. Pretty soon their yelling and stomping on top of the car was louder than the game itself. I'd peek out there and the neighbor would be shirtless, drunk and stomping on top of the hood of a Chevy Chevelle with a spray paint can. Each time the Niners scored, he'd paint the updated score onto the car. By the end of the game both he and the car were a mess. Then the neighbor drives off, whooping and hollering.

The next day my Dad gets a call from the police asking about his car. My Dad informs him that he had just sold the car. The police inform him that they had found the car burning in the middle of an empty field with "Elway sucks" painted on the remaining un-scorched parts of the car.

The neighbor was okay. Nobody was hurt. We had no idea how he got home or how he ended up in the middle of an empty field or why the car was lit on fire. It was like he was having his own little celebratory riot.
Te'o's girlfriend drove him home.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

This is what's getting me frustrated though, none of this has to do with the loss. I've been posting here since I've joined... I was there for the 07 superbowl loss. I've seen a t on of hate and shit talk, and I've seen some awful reactions, and for the most part I can ignore it, but I thought it was a bit ridiculous Knowing where everything is with CTE and Junior Seau, and all the other palyers who had it, and reports had Ridley out for a full 30 seconds to a minute, and the guy couldn't walk straight to save his life. And here are people cheering this, and responding to my legitimate question, which started it all... when did it all of a sudden become ok to cheer an injury. I argued it for the night and some agreed most, just said "oh you so mad", but it really has NOTHING to do with that, I just think at the end of the day these are people's lives, people celebrating serious head injuries are the one who need to step back.

I dropped it, then come back to see a pats fan posting a picture of RGIIIs knee, which is a pretty sick gesture IMO, and I see it all over the internet, but generally gaf is a fairly controlled place with this trash. I had to give my opinion on what the thread became during the "celebration", which IMO it sucks right now. Not because of the trash talk, but because we are forgetting this are real people, with real lives, all because it's a team you don't like. Normally would just keep my mouth shut, just think it's pretty ridiculous given the circumstances.

edit- I was pretty insulted when people were excited about hearing Peyton might be all done. This isn't just about quality of life, and don't get me wrong that's a big part of it, but wanting the person to not be there to make winning easier? That's such a bitch move.

Fox318

Nothing is worse than buttfumble. Sanchez's legacy.

You're not getting off that easy. Buttfumble is eternal.

Not even close.

No way. Sage was trying to get a first down, like a man. He had heart.

Sage at least aspired to be like Elway. Brady doesn't have the stones for that aspiration.

image.php

cdyhybrid

This is what's getting me frustrated though, none of this has to do with the loss. I've been posting here since I've joined... I was there for the 07 superbowl loss. I've seen a t on of hate and shit talk, and I've seen some awful reactions, and for the most part I can ignore it, but I thought it was a bit ridiculous Knowing where everything is with CTE and Junior Seau, and all the other palyers who had it, and reports had Ridley out for a full 30 seconds to a minute, and the guy couldn't walk straight to save his life. And here are people cheering this, and responding to my legitimate question, which started it all... when did it all of a sudden become ok to cheer an injury. I argued it for the night and some agreed most, just said "oh you so mad", but it really has NOTHING to do with that, I just think at the end of the day these are people's lives, people celebrating serious head injuries are the one who need to step back.

I dropped it, then come back to see a pats fan posting a picture of RGIIIs knee, which is a pretty sick gesture IMO, and I see it all over the internet, but generally gaf is a fairly controlled place with this trash. I had to give my opinion on what the thread became during the "celebration", which IMO it sucks right now. Not because of the trash talk, but because we are forgetting this are real people, with real lives, all because it's a team you don't like. Normally would just keep my mouth shut, just think it's pretty ridiculous given the circumstances.

These posts are meaningless. Someone pretending to cheer an injury on the internet doesn't make anyone more or less injured. Photoshopping RG3 into funny pictures using the image of him tearing his ACL doesn't add an extra 6 months onto his recovery time. Getting excited by a violent collision doesn't decrease the chances that a concussion just occurred.

You're getting offended by things posted on the internet.

Talon

Jesus.

Msdtc must get really salty when there are 50 straight posts of "TAINT TAINT LOL LOL :JNC :JNC"

Who cares? It's an Internet board. This isn't serious invisible made up girlfriend death business.

mr2xxx

Banned
Earliest Superbowl memories have to have been when the Cowboys were dominant in the 90s which is a damn shame. If only I proclaimed my love a few years earlier I could of enjoyed a Redskins championship before the 20 years of pain started. But maybe it was for the best, it's just cruel to peak at such a young age.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
A real American hero.

In addition to Romo, pretty sure there was jubilation when Favre went out on the cart.

I recall making fun of the guy who laughed at Gonk's injury because it wasn't the fact he was laughing at the injury, it was how he did it. See, laughing at injuries requires a bit of gallows type humor or snark. Something clever.

I don't think anyone really empathizes with these players beyond the game and frankly, their level of compensation for playing the game puts them beyond empathy. Injury is a natural risk of the sport and they are paid very, very well in return.

On the other hand, amateur athletes especially at the collegiate level will almost always get more sympathy when they are injured, and the high school players more so, and so on and so forth. I wouldn't rejoice the injury of some college player but some people might if it meant that their team would have a better chance at winning a title.

I can tell you I definitely do. Biggest injuries I feel for are Brandon Roy, being told if he keeps playing will have to use a wheelchair in the future. I feel for Marc Savard not remembering what he had for breakfast. I felt for Junior Seaus last few years of confusion, anger, depression, etc. I'm a little OCD about my health myself, you can tell that if you check my thread history I always get nervous what the next thing is. Got cartilage damage in my right knee, and I've gotten past it, but you're never 100%, but I'm completely ok with this, but I can't imagine being at Brandon Roys level of pain, I mean that's permanent, just walking down the stairs is probably a constant reminder of what he can't do anymore. Head injuries are a whole different beast though. Who knows how it'll affect him down the road.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Jesus.

Msdtc must get really salty when there are 50 straight posts of "TAINT TAINT LOL LOL :JNC :JNC"

Who cares? It's an Internet board. This isn't serious invisible made up girlfriend death business.

Ughh last time I'll say it, has nothing to do with the game. Check my post history in these threads, admit when the pats are outmatched or outclassed- frustrating that people think the game is the source of my frustration.

edit- not saying this as a slight, but do you post in the thread a lot? I post in here a fair bit, so you would be able to recognize me if I was bitching about it. I do get pissed at the pats, rage a bit, but definitely not angry about fans cheering against the pats. Comes with the territory when a team is good no matter if they're likable or not.

JABEE

dude i was absolutely emotionally obliterated after last years loss to the giants. i didn't watch NFLN or espn until probably mid-march. i didn't watch the superbowl. i can't ever remember being more dejected than i was last year. you go through a whole season, you have a lot of things fall your way, you get a home playoff game with a chance to go to the superbowl, you are so close to getting there and then it just doesn't happen. there isn't a shittier feeling and i wish i could say you will get over it but you never will. you will feel better about it in a month or two or whenever but i am still pissed about last years NFC championship game and that is a day after we won this years!

football is a strange beast. i always think back to the speech from any given sunday that al pacino gives and although its kind of sappy and you can laugh at it with the dramatic music and so on it really does hold true in football. tough loss brotha and even with all my fuck you's to all the falcons trying to get a rise out of falcons-gaf i feel your pain and a lot of other fans do too

Went through that for three consecutive seasons. The fourth season was pure euphoria. Then the Patriots beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl and we've never returned since. At least the Eagles got to the NFC Championship in 2008 only to choke it away against the freaking Kurt Warner, Larry Fitzgerald, and the Arizona Cardinals.

Talon

Went through that for three consecutive seasons. The fourth season was pure euphoria. Then the Patriots beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl and we've never returned since. At least the Eagles got to the NFC Championship in 2008 only to choke it away against the freaking Kurt Warner, Larry Fitzgerald, and the Arizona Cardinals.
The Braves run was frustrating, too, but at least we won in '95. I fucking hate Leyritz to this day.

Dragon

Banned
These posts are meaningless. Someone pretending to cheer an injury on the internet doesn't make anyone more or less injured. Photoshopping RG3 into funny pictures using the image of him tearing his ACL doesn't add an extra 6 months onto his recovery time. Getting excited by a violent collision doesn't decrease the chances that a concussion just occurred.

The whole idea that because it doesn't affect Ridley means you can say whatever you want about it is extremely misguided. You come off as a petty punk, hiding behind the Internet and would never say that to his face. You know why not? Because most people would want to kick the teeth in of a person using a serious head injury as a way of continuing an agenda of hating a football team.

If you do those sorts of things you're an immature child who'd rather be an asshole than a decent human being. All for the sole purpose of hating on a football team. Not that I think any person would do such a thing unless they have severe mental illness.

On the game: fucking ugh and Brady is a punk.

i've been a niners fan since 1991 (season after the roger craig fumble) and i just remember not understanding why the 49ers weren't in the playoffs when we won 10 games. i was so pissed about that and then losing in 92 and 93 made me fucking hate the cowboys. i remember distinctly wishing that alvin harper died a horrible death. then finally in 8th grade we won the superbowl (which i have on VHS somewhere back home). i still vividly remember just going crazy with all the early touchdowns.

i didn't watch it with my best pal (who is still my best friend that i work with and we are both life long niner fans and lovers) because my mom/dad wouldn't give me a ride over to his house so i watched the superbowl alone because none of my family liked football although my brother liked to talk shit to me when we lost to dallas for some reason.

then i collected every newspaper article, every magazine and taped all the stuff i could on VHS. i also remember after beating the cowboys in that nfc title game i watched espn all day and all night reliving the game over and over again. then after sportscenter ended for the 3rd or 4th time they said come back for more sportscenter or tune into ESPN 2 to see every 49ers superbowl replay! so i said fuck off school its niner time! and i watched those old school 30 minute highlights of all our superbowls and went to sleep past midnight.

then coming into school that monday was so awesome. i talked so much shit to my english teacher since he trash talked the niners all the time. i had my sweet ass niners gold jacket that i used to wear every fucking day to school. i loved that jacket!

a5bbbf813359a173edc07cb731d72edc_view.jpg

it was a more innocent time.... before the internet!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Yeah that makes sense... you know racism is just words right? It doesn't physically affect people does it? How could my racism being posted on the internet affect anyone?

(sad I gotta put a disclaimer, but I'm NOT racist, this is sarcasm)

Eagles fans will regret getting rid of Reid.

Godslay

Banned

edit- I was pretty insulted when people were excited about hearing Peyton might be all done. This isn't just about quality of life, and don't get me wrong that's a big part of it, but wanting the person to not be there to make winning easier? That's such a bitch move.

My advice would be to let it go.

When Brady went for the leg kick, he became free game in some people's opinions. I think that's where it all started to be honest.

As far as player health and safety, these guys choose to play the game, and rarely if ever regret doing so. They typically are cared for better than you or I ever will be.

Whatever though, I just try to enjoy the game with the understanding that they are grown men, who choose to play the game, and understand the risks that they take with their health. I know if I had the shot to play in the NFL, I would take it, even if it meant injury.

Brady>Manning

1 > 0

Math. How does it work?

eznark

Banned
If you do those sorts of things you're an immature child who'd rather be an asshole than a decent human being. All for the sole purpose of hating on a football team.

3455371-student-handsome-boy-with-his-hand-raised-up.jpg

Patriots fans have no idea how to handle a loss. It's amazing and beautiful and I absolutely love them for it.

Top Bottom