• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Watching the Lake show is depressing. :(

I was looking at the lakers as the savior of the NBA this season actually. As much as I don't want Kobe to get his 6th and can't stand Dh12, The heat have to be stopped... fortunately the heat look very human this year, and the Lakers are an absolute disaster. Hinrich lighting it up right now lol, so I guess it's the best of both worlds.

mr2xxx

Banned
You're putting words in mine, too. I absolutely get what you are saying, but if it bothers someone that much, they should be talking to a mod.

You don't get it, that's the last thing we want. He was just venting about poor jokes being made and instead Gaf gets into his ass about it. Try to defend that shit we do here to a mod that isn't part of NFL Gaf and we are fucked because we say and do shit that wouldn't fly in any OT. Buuuut it's the Internet wouldn't fly.

I like how Wes Welker's wife conveniently left out that her husband's quarterback has had two wives and one where he split with her while she was pregnant.

I just think it's funny that she didn't have a problem with Ray for 17 seasons....until his team beat the snot of her's in the championship game. Suddenly then everyone needs to get educated on Ray Lewis.

YOU feel old as shit? Holy crap, I JUST saw this:

Only 91? WTF! I could've sworn you were still senior SF guy around here. I remember bits and pieces of SB XVI as a 3 year old back in 82, but it wasn't until SB XIX that I remember beyond a few faint glimpses of memories and can recall everything around SB week and the game. 19-freaking-91...my fanview of FMT, shattered! He really is just a kid!

So now I feel old, even though I'm not even 35 yet.

That only lasts like 9 more months or so :(

when you get right down to it i'm just a filthy band wagoner! like i said, none of my family watched sports so i wasn't really exposed to it much but then i got into it and they would always show the niners on TV so thats who i grew attached to. i missed most of the good years :(

Miguel

when you get right down to it i'm just a filthy band wagoner! like i said, none of my family watched sports so i wasn't really exposed to it much but then i got into it and they would always show the niners on TV so thats who i grew attached to. i missed most of the good years :(

FRAUD

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
While I don't want it to be entirely PC, I think there is a line there, but my initial argument and point came from the dramatic turn of events all because the pats lost.

I think the only part I can concede on is that Ridley is the first non-superstar I've seen treated that way.

Generally speaking I'm not happy about injuries but things like:

jkWUg.jpg

Add to my enjoyment of the game.

There are generally lines here like to my knowledge people don't laugh about Steve McNair or that chiefs player who killed himself. Haven't heard any cracks about Junior Seau either.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I just think it's funny that she didn't have a problem with Ray for 17 seasons....until his team beat the snot of her's in the championship. Suddenly then everyone needs to get educated on Ray Lewis.

That was my problem with it. Anytime somebody gets bitter after a loss, they always turn to somebodies past to try and bail themselves out, can't stand when somebody handles a loss this way. Get to use this picture twice in the same thread!

winning.jpg

It doesn't matter how it happened. This is a sad attempt at trying to take the attention away from the loss, and it won't work. Whether Ray is a good human being or not is something that often gets talked about in sports conversations, but it's painfully obvious and futile when you release it with this kind of timing.

etiolate

Banned
OKC would rather have had an expansion team then take the one with the second best player in the NBA on it? I doubt that. The only reason the Kings are the team moving up here is because they were the one that was available. If it were the Bobcats or the Hornets it wouldn't change a thing up here.

I will give you that the people most responsible for these situations are Howard Schultz and the Maloofs. They both let their franchises reach a point where they lost public favor and it became a burden to keep them there. They both knew the teams were leaving when they sold.

Don't want to drag NBA talk into here, but the only reason it's the Kings is because the Maloofs lied continuously, and while Hansen made his interest public through rumors, the Maloofs made the sale private by denying reports of them selling the team. They also weren't the only team that has been for sale lately. New Orleans and Memphis recently got new ownership that will keep the teams where they are for now. Sacramento is rushing to assemble its own bid, but it's not going to have the benefit of time that Hansen or any of the other recent new owners have had.

Sacramento is also a bigger market than Memphis or New Orleans. (People are just generally clueless about this and repeat that Sacramento is too small for the NBA when it's above nine other NBA cities in market size. I think it would be the only top 20 market without a team.)

So while Hansen wasn't directly deceptive, he was relying on the Maloofs to be deceptive. There's no logical reason for the Maloofs to not give everyone a head's up on their willingness to sale and allow equal time amongst potential buyers, and then create a bidding war for their franchise that would likely further inflate the sale price. Instead, they denied they were selling the team every moment up until the signed sheet was sent to the NBA. On some level, this is a dirty deal on Hansen's part to avoid competition as much as he can.

cdyhybrid

You don't get it, that's the last thing we want. He was just venting about poor jokes being made and instead Gaf gets into his ass about it. Try to defend that shit we do here to a mod that isn't part of NFL Gaf and we are fucked because we say and do shit that wouldn't fly in any OT. Buuuut it's the Internet wouldn't fly.

Then where do you draw the line? People want there to be standards but don't want a mod to enforce those standards? That makes it too subjective, people are always going to have disagreements when concrete terms aren't established going in.

I guess I just don't get what he's going for. I've never seen someone try to appeal to moral sensibilities to permanently change someone's posting habits and succeed in a thread as lacking in seriousness as this one.

Don't want to drag NBA talk into here, but the only reason it's the Kings is because the Maloofs lied continuously, and while Hansen made his interest public through rumors, the Maloofs made the sale private by denying reports of them selling the team. They also weren't the only team that has been for sale lately. New Orleans and Memphis recently got new ownership that will keep the teams where they are for now. Sacramento is rushing to assemble its own bid, but it's not going to have the benefit of time that Hansen or any of the other recent new owners have had.

Sacramento is also a bigger market than Memphis or New Orleans. (People are just generally clueless about this and repeat that Sacramento is too small for the NBA when it's above nine other NBA cities in market size. I think it would be the only top 20 market without a team.)

So while Hansen wasn't directly deceptive, he was relying on the Maloofs to be deceptive. There's no logical reason for the Maloofs to not give everyone a head's up on their willingness to sale and allow equal time amongst potential buyers, and then create a bidding war for their franchise that would likely further inflate the sale price. Instead, they denied they were selling the team every moment up until the signed sheet was sent to the NBA. On some level, this is a dirty deal on Hansen's part to avoid competition as much as he can.

Honestly, the only reason it wasn't New Orleans is because the timing didn't work out, IMO. Hansen couldn't shop for a team until the arena deal got approved, and the Hornets were off the market by then, IIRC. I absolutely agree that Sacramento is a much better city for basketball than New Orleans, and maybe Memphis (I dunno their financial situation so I can't say for sure). I think it's a damn shame that the Kings are leaving, but it wasn't some predatory plot by Hansen. If the Maloofs were not absolute clowns and jokes as owners and businessmen the Kings would not be at risk of leaving.

I agree that Hansen benefited from the shadiness of the Maloofs, but ultimately that falls on the Maloofs. Hansen's objective and his responsibility is to get a team, he has no obligation to protect Sacramento's interest. If you want to hate him for it I won't stop you, I don't think Sonics fans have any room to tell Kings fans how they should feel, just like Thunder fans should never have told Sonics fans to get over it. The Maloofs are the reason the Kings are leaving.

I actually wouldn't really be mad if the Kings ended up staying there and being bought by a local group. Those fans deserve better. We just want a team up here.

Talon

We need to create a criteria of when a band wagon fan can truly be considered a true fan? It should be a mix of suffering through at least a decade of being irrelevant and only being able to wear your long snappers jersey.
I put it as when said person says nothing about a team throughout the entire season...until they get to the NFC Championship game.

I unfollowed about 10 tech journalists from the Silicon Valley area yesterday.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
We need to create a criteria of when a band wagon fan can truly be considered a true fan? It should be a mix of suffering through at least a decade of being irrelevant and only being able to wear your long snappers jersey.

Wasn't there a call for birth certificates at one point?

I remember last year when the Giants made the Super Bowl. All of a sudden my Facebook news feed was filled with nothing but Giants shit. As during the regular season it was only a handful.

mr2xxx

Banned
Then where do you draw the line? People want there to be standards but don't want a mod to enforce those standards? That makes it too subjective, people are always going to have disagreements when concrete terms aren't established going in.

I guess I just don't get what he's going for. I've never seen someone try to appeal to moral sensibilities to permanently change someone's posting habits and succeed in a thread as lacking in seriousness as this one.

A mod doesn't have to do it, we have done it with each other. A simple warning that a post is too much works most of the time. That's how things have normally worked here.

squicken

Finished listening to the BS Report. Last ten minutes they spent talking about how the Browns should trade for Sanchez. Good playoff numbers and bad cast and the idea he could be redeemed w/ good coaching. Said they had no inside info. Guess Simmons won't be trolling CLE as much anymore since he has two buddies working there

Finished listening to the BS Report. Last ten minutes they spent talking about how the Browns should trade for Sanchez. Good playoff numbers and bad cast and the idea he could be redeemed w/ good coaching. Said they had no inside info. Guess Simmons won't be trolling CLE as much anymore since he has two buddies working there

Sanchez would be better in a small market area I think. But Mangini isn't the GM there anymore so its not like the Browns would be doing us anymore favors :(

mr2xxx

Banned
I put it as when said person says nothing about a team throughout the entire season...until they get to the NFC Championship game.

I unfollowed about 10 tech journalists from the Silicon Valley area yesterday.

Worst is when they come here and talk shit all of a sudden. Someone needs to digg up graverobbers post because that was on point.

Greg

Lots of lifelongs coming out of the woodwork yet?

I havent been around much.
Some Slo guy started cheering for the Vikings going into the playoffs - said he's been a fan his whole life. Yeah, ok, like anyone believes that.

edit: :jnc I legit did not see Slo post before I typed that

Miguel

Have to have been a fan of the team for their entire existence like me and :gata

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't know. Losing in the AFC Championship Game is worse than losing it in the Super Bowl.

The Patriots legacy should be seen like Barry Bonds. Yes he was a great hitter, but he could never hit 72 home runs without the juice.

The Patriots were never able to win the Super Bowl without cameras. The only difference is the league is protecting the Patriots and their legacy. Barry Bonds and the rest of the juicers were exposed at the first moment that they were no longer useful.

Meh agree to disagree. Again you often hear about Superbowl records. Joe montana is the obvious choice at 4-0, but does anyone know that his record is worse than brady's in those particular games? 4-3 versus 5-2. Other big examples

Steve Young- 1-3
Bradshaw- 4-2
Favre- 2-3

A bunch of other big names... but 4-3 is not all that impressive, but 4-0 is incredible for Montana. That's just my take though.

This is part of my frustration, you, amongst others, are FAILING to read and comprehend what my posts are all about. This thread is completely out of control, I get that I've been posting for 6 years in it so on so forth. My point is that we do have lines in here, but when it comes to the pats all bets are off, and to a degree that's ok, I get that, it's standard trash talk. However when I saw Ridley I was genuinely concerned for the guys future, his memory, his overall mental health, and here we have people posting gifs of him, laughing at the fact he was out cold, laughing that he couldn't get into the locker room, because he was bumping into the wall on the way in. If that doesn't bother you, whatever we're different, but my point is that generally it's not ok in this thread at all... all of a sudden though we can start being classless assholes. It's hypocritical, it's concerning, it's disappointing. I posted my thoughts and asked why is it all of a sudden ok, and EVERYBODY harps on me calling me salty, and they can always look forward to my saltiness... I think they're just throwing shit at the walls, because that's not who I am. I'll complain about the team when we lose, but a loss is a loss, and I'm not going to sit here and make excuses or bitch about the other team. Instead I try to look at what went wrong, who was responsible, and break down the game. Generally though this thread is above that shit, it's just stopping to a new low.

I think the only part I can concede on is that Ridley is the first non-superstar I've seen treated that way.

http://i.imgur.com/jkWUg.jpg[/ig]

There are generally lines here like to my knowledge people don't laugh about Steve McNair or that chiefs player who killed himself. Haven't heard any cracks about Junior Seau either.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I think we have to understand how those people got where they are particularly Seau. I guess I'm OCD, I get nervous wondering how it'll affect a player in the long haul, just based on performance, but when it comes into affecting quality of life it gets real serious, and Gaf seems to have an understanding of that. Not last night though. Also Jay Cutler is an idiot, an easy target, I don't think that image is in reference to concusions, I think it's in reference to him being an airhead. Similar things could be said about gronk and being such a goofball.

cdyhybrid

Niners fans, why is Crables so much better with Kap than with Alex?

Kaep can throw farther than 10 yards.

This is part of my frustration, you, amongst others, are FAILING to read and comprehend what my posts are all about. This thread is completely out of control, I get that I've been posting for 6 years in it so on so forth.

This is where our disconnect is. I haven't seen anything posted that has really offended me like it has you. Not saying it doesn't exist, but based on my time in this thread, and what posts I am able to read in my free time, nothing has really changed in the last few weeks. Yes, the Pats get more hate than most teams, maybe more than any other team, but again, it has always been that way from my point of view. There have always been off-color jokes that are toeing the line of acceptability.

My point is that we do have lines in here, but when it comes to the pats all bets are off, and to a degree that's ok, I get that, it's standard trash talk. However when I saw Ridley I was genuinely concerned for the guys future, his memory, his overall mental health, and here we have people posting gifs of him, laughing at the fact he was out cold, laughing that he couldn't get into the locker room, because he was bumping into the wall on the way in. If that doesn't bother you, whatever we're different, but my point is that generally it's not ok in this thread at all... all of a sudden though we can start being classless assholes. It's hypocritical, it's concerning, it's disappointing. I posted my thoughts and asked why is it all of a sudden ok, and EVERYBODY harps on me calling me salty, and they can always look forward to my saltiness... I think they're just throwing shit at the walls, because that's not who I am. I'll complain about the team when we lose, but a loss is a loss, and I'm not going to sit here and make excuses or bitch about the other team. Instead I try to look at what went wrong, who was responsible, and break down the game. Generally though this thread is above that shit, it's just stopping to a new low.

This is why people are giving you a hard time. Ridley's concussion was not the first severe concussion we've seen, and it's not the first time people have made tasteless jokes about one, but when a Patriots player gets hurt and people make jokes about it, a Pats fan deems that the thread is now out of control. I'm not saying I agree, but that's why people are calling you salty, I believe. At the risk of putting words in people's mouths, they didn't see you railing against this thread when Jahvid Best had just as severe an injury, or when Sidney Rice suffered a similar injury. You're only making a big deal out of it when the jokes happen to be targeting your team, so they're naturally going to assume it's just sour grapes.

Serious question: Did you disagree with it this vocally in previous instances involving potentially severe concussions?

JABEE

jkWUg.jpg

There are generally lines here like to my knowledge people don't laugh about Steve McNair or that chiefs player who killed himself. Haven't heard any cracks about Junior Seau either.

I thought Jay always needed that dry erase board?

etiolate

Banned
Niners fans, why is Crables so much better with Kap than with Alex?

Besides Kaep's stronger arm, the Pistol and Kaep's threat to run keeps a spy on him and not paying attention to coverage. It's not like Crabtree is being used as the deep threat. He gets a lot of slants and short outs, along with screens.

So the fake on the Pistol snap PA snugs the D in a little and the spy takes a LB out of Crabtree's route.

Also, Crabtree was already improving before the QB change. His first healthy, full practice season. His play was already much improved over the first two seasons while getting balls from Alex. It could just be an increasing production rate helped by the effects of a running QB.

Well since all of steelers-age has black steelers as avatars I just think in my minds eye that they are black. O_O

They're all just HarSon Alts anyway.

This made me laugh way harder than it should have.

Deac: The old, embittered Harson.
Bionic: The white Harson.
JNC: The drunk Harson
Spectral: The sober Harson.

In other news, it's cold as shitballs.

LOL. A Harson for every occasion. Kill me now.

Even I can admit the gold Niners jacket that says the words "Fourty Niners" spelled out is badass.

Good man.

I don't care what her face looks like, would.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
You guys wanna feel old? I was 4 the last time the niners won a superbowl. How would you feel been raised on mediocre to awful football teams for most of your life?

That would be junior year of high school for me. You missed out on one helluva childhood for a Niners fan - sounds like we probably had practically opposite experiences.

I was 17 when the Ravens won it all and 18 when the Terps won it all in basketball. Best age to be for rioting. As I am now staring down death (30 in April), its time for another championship.

That would be junior year of high school for me. You missed out on one helluva childhood for a Niners fan - sounds like we probably had practically opposite experiences.

I was 11. And I would probably feel like a Raiders fan if I didn't experience those first 11 years of my life.
Ya it sucked but i had the giants, right guys :(. But none of it matters cuz i watched alot of nascar.

Fuck my childhood.

Top Bottom