• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

I don't think a second thread is worth it, because that stuff is boring. Most of us here watch football to see grown ass men dance.

Spikes1stdownDance.gif

LOL just noticed Foster's disapproving head shake.

Chili

So I'm posting this up to actually gauge real interest in an "advanced" football thread. I've been talking with chuckddd, squicken and LJ to get their opinions and here's the basics about the thread:

- Advanced and even novice talk on football: Schemes, football 101, film study/breakdown. Specific team strategy is fine as well. If you want to get into why you think your coordinator sucks that's fine but give specific examples/analysis that goes outside of "Dude doesn't make good half time adjustments!" Really? Why? Prove it!
- All-22 film breakdown ties into that. Posting articles/links doing the same is fine as well and can be discussed.
- Typical weekly thread memes are out. Not saying a little ribbing here and there is bad (and we certainly want to keep it fun) but we have plenty of that in main weekly threads already so keeping it a bit more focused is the goal. No Gatas, you people, freeman taco jokes etc. and all of that shit.
- Conversation can be as simple as "What is a 3-4" and that's ok. If it's something that folks are interested in, we can do a simple FAQ on football basics that answer such questions (I'm glad to write it and it can be added to) for newbies.
- General team or NFL related news like FA signings, GM/coach changes etc should be in the weekly or offseason threads as normal
- Draft analysis and prospect analysis is fine!

Thoughts? If there's really no interest in it, then that's fine. It doesn't hurt and if the answer is a resounding no I won't bother putting the work into it.

I think this is a great idea. I've been trying to follow these threads all season now and I just feel lost with all the in-jokes and whatnot when really I just want to learn more about the game itself rather than how many tacos Josh Freeman had for breakfast.

I think this is a great idea. I've been trying to follow these threads all season now and I just feel lost with all the in-jokes and whatnot when really I just want to learn more about the game itself rather than how many tacos Josh Freeman had for breakfast.

Greg

So I'm posting this up to actually gauge real interest in an "advanced" football thread. I've been talking with chuckddd, squicken and LJ to get their opinions and here's the basics about the thread:

- Advanced and even novice talk on football: Schemes, football 101, film study/breakdown. Specific team strategy is fine as well. If you want to get into why you think your coordinator sucks that's fine but give specific examples/analysis that goes outside of "Dude doesn't make good half time adjustments!" Really? Why? Prove it!
- All-22 film breakdown ties into that. Posting articles/links doing the same is fine as well and can be discussed.
- Typical weekly thread memes are out. Not saying a little ribbing here and there is bad (and we certainly want to keep it fun) but we have plenty of that in main weekly threads already so keeping it a bit more focused is the goal. No Gatas, you people, freeman taco jokes etc. and all of that shit.
- Conversation can be as simple as "What is a 3-4" and that's ok. If it's something that folks are interested in, we can do a simple FAQ on football basics that answer such questions (I'm glad to write it and it can be added to) for newbies.
- General team or NFL related news like FA signings, GM/coach changes etc should be in the weekly or offseason threads as normal

Thoughts? If there's really no interest in it, then that's fine. It doesn't hurt and if the answer is a resounding no I won't bother putting the work into it.
I think the thread is a great idea. It would be best for the topic in terms of longevity if the OP was pitched as more of a friendly introduction to the sport though (despite the actual purpose of the topic being for higher level discussion).

It'll give the topic a better chance to attract some fresh blood instead of coming off as a more insular version of a thread where some lurkers are probably already hesitant to post.

cdyhybrid

I'd love a thread like that but honestly, other than draft prospects and Seahawks stuff, I'd probably be lurking most of the time.

jakncoke said:
Good luck with the new thread, I hope it flops so I can laugh at you nerds. DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
You'd probably just leave as soon as someone started trolling the Steelers with honest to goodness film break down. So no big.:)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
As far as the faq, leave it loose. We can amend it as it goes along. Just start with the basic rules and positions.

I'd argue adding basic formations and terminology as well. You start hearing a lot more terms on broadcasts these days, and I frequently get questions from newbies on "what's a 3-4" or "where's the A gap" and whatnot.

2nd thread is going to lead to a lot of bannings once the wussies that can't handle seeing their team lose jump ship to the technical thread and force us to track them down.

jakncoke said:
You don't read my posts :(
Because if you did, you'd see I'm brutally honest about them.
Of course I do. I'm just giving you shit cause you're hating on professorial football!

XiaNaphryz said:
I'd argue adding basic formations and terminology as well.
Both will be covered. I think keeping it basic off the bat is the way to go and expanding as we go.

chuckddd said:
Also, I can make a quick header graphic, if bucket doesn't want to.
Perfect! Forgot you did these Eli avatars for me.

A thread to just talk about football again would be nice. This thread is trending towards NBA-GAF levels of in-jokes on top of in-jokes on top of in-jokes.

I'd definitely be in for the Professor Football thread.

A thread to just talk about football again would be nice. This thread is trending towards NBA-GAF levels of in-jokes on top of in-jokes on top of in-jokes.

Yeah and there is nothing wrong with that IMO. I think its fun at times... but some dedicated football discussion would be nice too. It's really hard for them both to coexist because they are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

you clipped the part of the image that shows me holding a ball between my feet

the ball in my hand was just a diversion for my 10ft foot dunk

haha sneaky bastard :(

cajunator

Banned
Ack. the temp is down to 37F. Cold and rainy. Kind of miserable. summer when?
This is that shitty Gulf cold. Humid and damp. Chills you to the bones so layers dont matter a lot. Worst part of the year.

jakncoke

Banned
Ack. the temp is down to 37F. Cold and rainy. Kind of miserable. summer when?
This is that shitty Gulf cold. Humid and damp. Chills you to the bones so layers dont matter a lot. Worst part of the year.

37 isnt cold, but 37 and raining is quite miserble. cold rain sucks.

exarkun

I'm pretty sure one banning would go a long way. Hint fucking hint.

lolol

A second thread would probably make me cry when LJ breaks down Kubiaks repeated stupidity and I realize Houston will never win anything ever again (across sports).

Edit: Cold rain is best weather. Justifies lethargic behavior and lack of production at work.

jakncoke

Banned
lolol

A second thread would probably make me cry when LJ breaks down Kubiaks repeated stupidity and I realize Houston will never win anything ever again (across sports).

Edit: Cold rain is best weather. Justifies lethargic behavior and lack of production at work.

All your hope is in your WNBA team ;)

cajunator

Banned
37 isnt cold, but 37 and raining is quite miserble. cold rain sucks.

I know osme people who live down here from the midwest and Chicago and they said its a miserable kind of cold too. you would think they would be used to this, but it really is a shitty bone chilling kind of cold even if the temp isnt that low. It seeps into your sweaters and jackets, under your hoodies, dampens your socks, and then THE FUCKING WIND. Yall can keep this winter shit. I want my ball sweating summer back.

exarkun

All your hope is in your WNBA team ;)

People, this is how you insult someone. This works on two levels:

1.The Houston Comets own the most championship accolades of any Houston sport and they have the most recent championship.
2.They were disbanded in 2009.

Go Texans!

#GameRespectGame

Top Bottom