• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

Drakeon

Belichick and Payton. Both guys are a step ahead on creating mismatches on offense with ten million formations. Look at what Vereen pulled off last week. Lose Gronk and the Pats keep on humming.

New England's scouting suffered from losing FO guys year after year, I think, based on the number of misses on the defensive side of the ball.

I can see those two, I forgot about Payton because he was out this year.

I still think Harbaugh's in their league, but I think he needs a few more years before I go making statements like Squickens.

i don't know if he is the best offensive mind in the game but i will say he is the best coach at developing QB's in the NFL. if i told you before last year that under harbaughs tutelage alex smith would lead us to the NFC championship you would've laughed. if i told you before harbaugh took the 49ers job that he would then replace alex smith with a pistol QB from nevada and that player would lead us to the NFC championship you would've laughed again.

but with that said i realize he's not jim "the mastermind" caldwell

I'm definitely not going to defend Jim Caldwell. I think the Lesser Harbs is a great coach, and motivator, and I agree he knows how to work with QBs. I was merely refuting the claim that he is "the best offensive mind in the game". Even you wouldn't make that claim. Good coach, great motivator, great at working with QBs, but not offensive genius. Belichek, even Sean Payton are better offensive minds.

Talon

Some young gun GMs in this league.

Trent Baalke's just 48. Thomas Dimitroff is 46. Done pretty well for a couple young guys. The funny thing is that Dimitroff is probably much more of a Colorado health nut hippy than Baalke.

Remember when Jim Harbaugh was just that ex-retread backup/goofy coach that made news for getting Stanford to build a $50,000 private bathroom for him? Good times.

Doomsayer

I will say re: Harbs

He knows how to develop offensive players. Look at what he has done with Crabtree, Alex, Kaep, and to a lesser extent Delanie Walker. Walker drops a ton of passes but he is a damn good blocker and a lot of our big running plays are because he blocks like a man possessed.

Not to mention, our offensive line was probably one of the worst in the league before he came along. Not it is heralded as a top 3 unit.

In Harbs we Trust!

I'm definitely not going to defend Jim Caldwell. I think the Lesser Harbs is a great coach, and motivator, and I agree he knows how to work with QBs. I was merely refuting the claim that he is "the best offensive mind in the game". Even you wouldn't make that claim. Good coach, great motivator, great at working with QBs, but not offensive genius. Belichek, even Sean Payton are better offensive minds.

correct. harbs still has lapses in game planning judgement (sometimes they go entire quarters ignoring gore) but i think harbaugh comes up with some pretty inventive formations as well. his ideas really flourish when its a close game or we have a lead and he can utilize 2 TE's. gives him so many options and puts the defense on its heels.

that and we only have 2 decent WR's. i found it to be very humorous on crabtrees first TD against the packers that 2 packers followed AJ jenkins on the out route and no one covered crabtree on the slant. why? why would you follow AJ Jenkins? odds are even if you left him wide open he would drop it. he is fast and shifty so i suppose he's a nice decoy but i'd take my chances leaving him open over crabcakes

mr2xxx

Banned
To be fair, they were handcuff by Alex Smith. Harbaugh managed to turn around Alex Smith to play competently, and now he got Kaep setting playoff rushing records. He knows how to coach them up for sure.

In order to be best you better have a track record to back that up. You cant compare him to coaches that have won super bowls and put up offensive records. It's just too soon to crown him. I mean what makes him better than Shannahan right now or Seattles offensive coordinator?

Talon

In order to be best you better have a track record to back that up. You cant compare him to coaches that have won super bowls and put up offensive records. It's just too soon to crown him. I mean what makes him better than Shannahan right now or Seattles offensive coordinator?
Well, unlike ratface, he's never put his QB in harms way when he's clearly gimpy.

he did sell out kaepernicks future in a wildcard game?

Talon

I feel like we're letting off too easy on Kaep for claiming to be a Packers and 49ers fan as a kid.

I mean, what the fuck? That was in the heart of 49ers running a train on the league and when the Packers finally bounced back and picked up after the cold, dark 80s. The most lifelong of lifelong ambitions.

Drakeon

I'm talking about being an offensive genius, not a compassionate human being. I'll give Harbs that over Shanny.

The fact that Shanahan thought Rex Grossman/John Beck were starting caliber quarterbacks in this league disqualifies him from this conversation. Maybe he didn't want to draft someone, but it's kind of just giving up on the season if you start with those two as your best options at QB.

mr2xxx

Banned
The fact that Shanahan thought Rex Grossman/John Beck were starting caliber quarterbacks in this league disqualifies him from this conversation. Maybe he didn't want to draft someone, but it's kind of just giving up on the season if you start with those two as your best options at QB.

During the draft he didn't jump the gun Gabbert but instead traded the pick to the Jags. Smart enough to not nvest his future in Blaine. Nothing was available and he didnt get an another overpriced vet like McNabb the year before. he took risks and made mistakes but didnt drag it out. He drafted Cutler and made him into a pro bowler. He drafted RG3 and also made him into a pro bowler. Whatever happened to Jay isn't on him and Denver made out in the trade. RG3s story is just beginning. Lets wait on Harbs and see what mistakes he makes because every coach makes them with enough time. In Shannys case though he at least has some Superbowls.

mr2xxx

Banned
Such a bs statement. They've been the most consistently successful team in the league. They've won plenty of shit.
eli_manning--300x300.jpg

Drakeon

During the draft he didn't jump the gun Gabbert but instead traded the pick to the Jags. Smart enough to not nvest his future in Blaine. Nothing was available and he didnt get an another overpriced vet like McNabb the year before. he took risks and made mistakes but didnt drag it out. He drafted Cutler and made him into a pro bowler. He drafted RG3 and also made him into a pro bowler. Whatever happened to Jay isn't on him and Denver made out in the trade. RG3s story is just beginning. Lets wait on Harbs and see what mistakes he makes because every coach makes them with enough time. In Shannys case though he at least has some Superbowls.

I still think he could've got a backup from someone and at least feigned like he was trying to win some games that year then go with Grossman/Beck. I completely forgot about McNabb though.

Drakeon

What was really available last year?

Gradkowski, Hasselbeck (would've had to pay him some money, to be fair), Drew Stanton, Matt Moore (he signed with the Dolphins that year, so could've gone after him).

I guess I'm not coming up with as stellar of a roster as I thought, but at least some of these guys were unproven, whereas everyone already knew Grossman/Beck were garbage.

Thanks to whoever recommended Archer on Netflix. Just watched episode 1. God damned hilarious. And I also now want to bone Aisha Tyler.

Talon

...are we really discussing the FA backup QBs available in 2011 FA during a Championship Week thread?

Really?
Thanks to whoever recommended Archer on Netflix. Just watched episode 1. God damned hilarious. And I also now want to bone Aisha Tyler.
It get's better and better.

hom3land

...are we really discussing the FA backup QBs available in 2011 FA during a Championship Week thread?

Really?

It get's better and better.

Reminded me about hard knocks and David Garrard. Never resigned with anyone. But don't remember how bad his knee was.

mr2xxx

Banned
Gradkowski, Hasselbeck (would've had to pay him some money, to be fair), Drew Stanton, Matt Moore (he signed with the Dolphins that year, so could've gone after him).

I guess I'm not coming up with as stellar of a roster as I thought, but at least some of these guys were unproven, whereas everyone already knew Grossman/Beck were garbage.

Exactly, all those players are back ups now. At least Rex already knew the system to his credit. So no matter what route we went it would of lead to a bad record.

A3W6o.png

Although there is no doubt in my mind that we will make him look elite once again. He only needs 2 or 3 deep throws to Torrey 'The Pushoff' Smith and they are in business.
Haha!

I'll tell you one thing, being a fan of a team in the AFC East teaches you to respect the Pats. I basically never bet against them. I think they'll win Sunday in a close one.

I tried to tell people back in late November not to overlook the Pats... Of course that just ended with bionic making fun of me and talking about how he wasn't afraid of the Steelers playing them in the playoffs.

I feel you man.

I wore my SF hat to work today (which I've worn since the New Era shit was introduced) and my boss says to me, "You guys sure are coming out of the woodwork huh?"

I just shook my head. He's a Charger fan, so I can understand his propensity to go into
hiding.

oh man, you got him spot on
haha

Milchjon

Haha!

I'll tell you one thing, being a fan of a team in the AFC East teaches you to respect the Pats. I basically never bet against them. I think they'll win Sunday in a close one.

I tried to tell people back in late November not to overlook the Pats... Of course that just ended with bionic making fun of me and talking about how he wasn't afraid of the Steelers playing them in the playoffs.

Bah, we'll just lose by 1-3 points again.

(Also, why is that URL so weird?)

Haha!

the rest of the AFC East is trash.

This is the reason the Patriots are in the playoffs year in and out. They are not punished for slow starts, bad training camps, injuries, or what have you.

It's impossible to overlook the Pats because when they are vulnerable and ripe for defeat they play the dysfunctional Jets, irrelevant Dolphins or hapless Bills. It's hard as hell to be gifted 5 divisional wins a season and not make the playoffs.

They also seem to benefit yearly from easy schedules, so the other teams in the league don't pose much challenge. Here come the Jacksonville Jags!

verbum

So SF lost to MN 24-13, NYG 26-3, StL 16-13 OT, and Seattle 42-13.
Trying to figure out what the Falcons need to do, one common theme seems to be cutting down on the time the QB has to find a receiver. Which is hard to do with a contain defense.
Blitz more? Rush a LB from alternating sides? Use the amoeba scheme more?

Milchjon

One thing I like about BB/Brady is that they demonstrate that the wimpiest, oldest, slowest guy can take the field in one of the most brutal, physical sports out there and consistently beat superior physical talent with mental speed.

Parts of Boston media seem to blame the Broncos' loss on taking too much time and not overwhelming an aging defense with a quick offense, and conclude that the Pats will easily exploit that weakness.

I'd love to be so sure.

squicken

the rest of the AFC East is trash.

This is the reason the Patriots are in the playoffs year in and out. They are not punished for slow starts, bad training camps, injuries, or what have you.

It's impossible to overlook the Pats because when they are vulnerable and ripe for defeat they play the dysfunctional Jets, irrelevant Dolphins or hapless Bills. It's hard as hell to be gifted 5 divisional wins a season and not make the playoffs.

They also seem to benefit yearly from easy schedules, so the other teams in the league don't pose much challenge. Here come the Jacksonville Jags!

I've said this a few times, but the Steelers and Ravens are the two well run teams that have had the misfortune of always having another in their division in the the past decade. Pats, Colts, and Packers always had the benefit of easy division wins. I really think each would have had an extra SB had they not played each other twice every year

squicken

So SF lost to MN 24-13, NYG 26-3, StL 16-13 OT, and Seattle 42-13.
Trying to figure out what the Falcons need to do, one common theme seems to be cutting down on the time the QB has to find a receiver. Which is hard to do with a contain defense.
Blitz more? Rush a LB from alternating sides? Use the amoeba scheme more?

No point in looking at the Alex Smith losses. Seattle was just the better team, and once SF got behind it put their offense in a bad spot.

SF's problem with STL is they can't control the LoS like they do with everyone else. SEA really doesn't run the read option like SF does. That amoeba thing will get you killed

verbum

No point in looking at the Alex Smith losses. Seattle was just the better team, and once SF got behind it put their offense in a bad spot.

SF's problem with STL is they can't control the LoS like they do with everyone else. SEA really doesn't run the read option like SF does. That amoeba thing will get you killed

With a rookie QB, would using the amoeba once in a while cause confusion? It seems to have with Peyton in the first half when we played Denver. Make SF use an time out now and again?

I think random rushes from a LB or CB would help. Leaves a gap but if the QB is running to the right or left to escape pressure, that cuts down on the available receivers.

Top Bottom