• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

Spinluck

Fine, but no one in the AFC has been stopping them in the playoffs so what does it matter? The poor Texans playing in the brutal AFC South, I'm sure they would have killed the Pats if they were in the AFC East, right? And say what you will about the Dolphins and Jets but they both have fairly tough defenses that will beat you up on occasion, at least as much as the average team.

I just don't buy the excuses. There is enough parity in the NFL that I think it more or less works out by the time the SB has been played and won. You act like certain division games are guaranteed but if the Pats weren't a legitimately solid team they would lose some of those games.

Also, if you really want to criticize a team for this in this season it should be the Broncos. Acting like the AFC East is so much worse than any other AFC division just seems silly to me.

When was the last time anyone besides the Pats won that division dude? Lol.

hzHFQ.jpg
I'm really digging this new logo.
Edit: Fucking autocorrect.

This off season has such an underwhelming selection of coaching candidates :( I think McCoy was our top candidate but now that ship has sailed. Don't care, he didn't impress me anyway. He gets zero credit for this season so it really comes down to the transition from Orton to Tebow. So now I imagine it's between Horton and Haley. As I've said before, Horton I'd be happy to give a shot if he could just get a solid OC but I doubt he can draw anyone notable. He had the connection with Turner but seems he's going to CLE to coach with his son. Ugh. Oh well, at least the nightmare of ignoring the OL and championing Brown as the LT of the forever is over and we can hopefully figure out the QB situation within the next few seasons.

Spinluck

The Dolphins won it in '08. And I'm not saying the Pats haven't dominated the division for a little over a decade.

Oh yeah when Brady was hurt.

The Pats are definitely not the only team that benefits from about easy schedule. The AFC is terrible overall.

I just think people would actually like to see them contested.

eznark

Banned
Good. He can fix Cutler.I do not do not do not want Arians.

Why did he go to 11 teams over 20 years at various levels in his career and never once get a promotion until he was finally banished to a joke league?

Just seems like a bizarre choice. His last "QB guru" job resulted in cycling through three starters who had a combined TD/INT ratio of 19/26. Jake Plummer was abysmal when Trestman was his QB coach.

What's his big win?

Mrbob

Why did he go to 11 teams over 20 years at various levels in his career and never once get a promotion until he was finally banished to a joke league?
It happens. Look at Warner he got passed over until making a name in the Arena League.

Trestman also won two titles in five years as head coach in the CFL.

Oh yeah when Brady was hurt.

The Pats are definitely not the only team that benefits from about easy schedule. The AFC is terrible overall.

I just think people would actually like to see them contested.
Yeah well I'm a pretty active member of the "People who would like to see the Pats challenged" club so I know what you're saying. But it's not like the rest of the AFC is doing very well at that come playoff time either.

eznark

Banned
It happens. Look at Warner he got passed over until making a name in the Arena League.

Trestman also won two titles in five years as head coach in the CFL.

Outside of Jay Gruden who is the last guy to come out of a pseudo-pro league as a coach and succeed? Also look at my edit. Jake Plummer, Sage Rosenfels, AJ Feely...guy is a clown. Bears are going cheap again.

Sanjuro

Yeah well I'm a pretty active member of the "People who would like to see the Pats challenged" club so I know what you're saying. But it's not like the rest of the AFC is doing very well at that come playoff time either.

So, you're an active member of piss-poor arguments? You can use that nonsense against the majority of the league. It's the first segment in loser sports radio.

squicken

The other candidates are Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden and Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley. According to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Haley told the Cardinals that his asking price to become the next head coach in Arizona would be “very high.”

So that leaves Horton and Jay Gruden as the main choices, at least for now.

In the end, money could be a major factor in the final decision-making process. Rumors are making the rounds that Steve Keim will be making roughly $750,000 as the Cardinals’ new G.M., which would make him the lowest-paid General Manager in the league. It could be that the Cardinals have a firm budget for the head-coaching job — and that the guy who gets the gig will be the guy who is willing to take whatever the team offers.

Bidwells gonna Bidwell

NFCW is tough but those 2 free wins are at least nice

You morons realize the Jets beat the Pats in the playoffs in 2010? AFC West and NFC North are both worst divisions, but really who cares? Beatem in the postseason if you want to see them contested. Bill is just by far the best coach in the league, of course he's going to dominate.

ari

Banned
Outside of Jay Gruden who is the last guy to come out of a pseudo-pro league as a coach and succeed? Also look at my edit. Jake Plummer, Sage Rosenfels, AJ Feely...guy is a clown. Bears are going cheap again.

he has a lot of nfl experience, he didn't make his name in the cfl.

Edit: those guys suck, i agree and I don't think money has anything to do with it though selecting him.

Mrbob

He has proven to be a winner already as a head coach. All these coaching options are guesses. You never really know if a new coach will be good until he takes the job. Look at McCarthy. He sucked as a coordinator but has ended up a decent head coach.

eznark

Banned
The longest job Trestman held in the NFL was QB coach for the Arizona Cardinals from 1998-2000.

Jake Plummer in those years: 39 TD's 65 INT's
Jake Plummer the next three years: 51 TD's 41 INT's

Worst fucking guru ever!

Come playoff time, the Patriots have worked out all of the wrinkles and blemishes in their systems and are running on all cylinders. Even still they are gifted wins. Did anybody seriously expect Tebow to walk into Foxborough and beat them last year?

I'll say again, the Patriots are a good football team, and Belichick is hands down the best coach in the league. The fact remains though, like any team they are the most vulnerable at the beginning of the season, when they run into hopeless teams like the Jets and Bills who all happen to be in their division.

squicken

Steelers to investigate injury bug. Read: Shine up that kinesiology diploma you got at the U of Phoenix.

Besides QB, nothing kills a team like OL injuries. Hard to sustain drives when it's a crap shoot that the backup center and backup guard will handoff on blitzes properly

Elite guys like Rodgers and Peyton can still function well, but their play still dips

Oh boy. I wish I was in Chicago right now, just to read the troll columns in the Tribune.

These fuckers are almost as bad as the Smiths.

Bidwells have pissed off fans in 3 cities. I imagine Michael Bidwell IV will be pissing off the Melbourne Cardinals in 2050 with his cheapness as their stink keeps drifting southwest

Vio-Lence

Banned
For the sake of argument, I think going from the CFL is probably the same kind of jump as coming from College Football. Trestman is a question mark like anyone else we hire.

We can talk about schematics all we want, but a big problem with the Bears is the roster. Emery needs to draft well to reload the defense and fix the offensive line. The Bears can also use another WR and TE on the roster. Obviously any OC should be an upgrade over meathead Tice, but I think there is a dearth of talent on the offensive side of the football.

Look how SF Oline mauled Green Bay last weekend. That offensive line was built with high round draft picks over years of futility. 49ers were the bigger, faster, stronger, and better coached football team.

ari

Banned
The longest job Trestman held in the NFL was QB coach for the Arizona Cardinals from 1998-2000.

Jake Plummer in those years: 39 TD's 65 INT's
Jake Plummer the next three years: 51 TD's 41 INT's

Worst fucking guru ever!

He turned rich gannon into a decent mvp QB and was part of some good offenses in his career. That might not be enough to turn the bears offensive woes around, but his resume is good enough to let him try.

Top Bottom