• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

Talon

He turned rich gannon into a decent mvp QB and was part of some good offenses in his career. That might not be enough to turn the bears offensive woes around, but his resume is good enough to let him try.
That was John Gruden.

Besides QB, nothing kills a team like OL injuries. Hard to sustain drives when it's a crap shoot that the backup center and backup guard will handoff on blitzes properly

Elite guys like Rodgers and Peyton can still function well, but their play still dips

Biggest problem on the entire team is the o-line. Havent had a single season in the past 3 years where the same linemen played 6 consecutive games with one another. Kugler left of his own volition, but he really should have been fired. That's unacceptable.

eznark

Banned
He turned rich gannon into a decent mvp QB and was part of some good offenses in his career. That might not be enough to turn the bears offensive woes around, but his resume is good enough to let him try.

Gannon steadily improved from 1998 on. By the time Trestman got there Gannon was coming off two excellent seasons.

AFC is terrible overall + "People who would like to see the Pats challenged" = I want the Dolphins to be better.
I don't think the AFC is terrible overall. Goodness man, I was just defending the Pats this morning. They are easily one of the best teams in the NFL and have been for years. Read my posts.

Sanjuro

Come playoff time, the Patriots have worked out all of the wrinkles and blemishes in their systems and are running on all cylinders. Even still they are gifted wins. Did anybody seriously expect Tebow to walk into Foxborough and beat them last year?

I'll say again, the Patriots are a good football team, and Belichick is hands down the best coach in the league. The fact remains though, like any team they are the most vulnerable at the beginning of the season, when they run into hopeless teams like the Jets and Bills who all happen to be in their division.

It's season by season. You're division clearly has two teams who primarily play for the lead, we've had a couple obstacle seasons. Overall, it's pretty easy to make that argument, but you can just scan the overall standings at the end of the season and find that most of each conference is filled with garbage.

Bidwells gonna Bidwell

NFCW is tough but those 2 free wins are at least nice

It's Bidwill and it's because we owe Whiz 5.5 mil this next season until someone else hires him. They are likely telling each candidate that until that money is freed up, they can only offer x amount. I'm sure it will balloon after Whiz gets a position but who's willing to take the job in the mean time without knowing for sure if Whiz will get hired? Horton I'd say but that's probably it. That said, Gruden never sounded like he wanted to be HC for anyone this year but didn't want teams to think he'd be coordinator forever. I expect him to become one next off season. I find it hard to believe Haley had a high asking price. He wants to coach the Cards so bad he can taste it. Really wanted to come back as OC last year but Whiz didn't want him.

Don't worry my dear Squicken, we'll be back to feasting on the Lambs next season, you won't be getting those two wins.

Sanjuro

I don't think the AFC is terrible overall. Goodness man, I was just defending the Pats this morning. They are easily one of the best teams in the NFL and have been for years. Read my posts.

I'm not talking about the Pats. I'm simply talking about the argument of "Team X is here because Teams Y and Z / Entire league is trash". That's a NBA argument or loser sports radio.

Tiki on David Wilson:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324734904578241740231790144.html

But according to one former player who knows a thing or two about the Giants' rushing attack, the rookie running back won't realize his full potential until he corrects a serious flaw in his approach to the game.

He runs too fast.

"Once he learns to slow down, you'll see a lot more success out of him," said Tiki Barber, the Giants' all-time leading rusher. "He's a very exciting player."

"You realize that football is a dance, like a salsa or a tango," Barber said. "If I'm going too fast, then my partner is messing up. If I move too fast, my offensive line's timing is wrong. If I'm jumping the gun, then my quarterback is out of sync with me. It's going to take some time, but he'll figure it out."

Can't say I disagree with him. Lack of vision was one of the Wilson's issues at VT despite his explosiveness. That's one area where Andre Brown was a joy to watch. Aside from being a power guy, he followed him blocks and had a ton of patience before he blasted through the holes. Tough balancing act for Wilson as he no doubt feels he can outrun anybody. I'm really excited to see what he can do as the feature back next season. Both he and Andre Brown (if he makes it back completely from his leg fracture) should make for an excellent 1/2 punch.

So upon further reflection ( while fully aware of the fact that my opinion means jack shit) I'm okay with keeping Capers, which is what McCarthy and Thompson will most certainly do. I think all of the injuries kind of get glossed over because we did have a great season. But having the most injuries in the league (by far) is going to cause some problems . Capers managed to get a bunch of rookies and scrubs together and made an effective defense out of it. Not great, but effective overall. Whether its the best metric or not , we went from bottom of the league in scoring / yardage to #11. Yes he walked us into a buzzsaw and was unprepared for the option last week, and yes teams have exploited our weaknesses, but how can we say it's more an issues with Capers/scheme than it is the talent/injuries? A good QB is going to be able to target your weakest players no matter how much the scheme may try to hide them. I think Capers did a decent job, and as good of a job as you can expect when you consider injuries. I think a lot of players played above their actual talent/experience level thanks in part to him/coaching. He's moved to more dime packages to hide the weaknesses of our linebackers. Every defense has weaknesses to exploit. But just like good schemes can hide poor players, good players can help reduce the weaknesses in the scheme. We didnt have too many good players this year. Capers can outscheme the poor QBs/poorly coached team. But I think facing a team with talent along with great coaching (like the 49rs) can trump anything he can do to cover our holes.

Outside of Matthews who is great, there's noone even close to great outside of Bishop ,who was on IR by the beginning of the season. Our corners are are strength and they're not great (see: Tramon). They're good though. Casey Hayward definitely has the potential to be great and he did have a great season as a rookie.

Everything else ended up being a mess either due to injuries or talent . If AJ Hawk is your best option at ILB you know youre lacking talent or have a lot of injuries. Our safeties are pretty average. Burnett was brought in as a splash type player and he doesnt make any plays. Our Dline is average. Raji disappears for half of the season and Mike Neal hasn't stayed healthy. Our OLBs outside of Matthews are average... at best.

Even though you get shit for using it as an excuse, I think it's valid to use to explain why you might've fallen short. I'd rather the team figure out what the hell is caused such a huge divide between the injuries we had/have regularly and even the next closest team rather than firing Capers and starting over again.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Dom Capers still has a job today huh?

Feels like we haven't heard a word out of Green Bay since the night of the loss.

squicken

Don't worry my dear Squicken, we'll be back to feasting on the Lambs next season, you won't be getting those two wins.

I love your defense. They would have been the best in the league if they had an offense that helped even just a little

I also have zero faith in them getting a coach who can do well with the offense. Offense is in demand, and the lowest bidder usually doesn't win. Unless they take a flier and get lucky on a non-name guy

Bidwells have pissed off fans in 3 cities. I imagine Michael Bidwell IV will be pissing off the Melbourne Cardinals in 2050 with his cheapness as their stink keeps drifting southwest

Bidwill Sr was the cheap bastard that held the franchise back for years. Mike has been pretty good thus far. New stadium, willing to pay top dollar for our core players, ate Whiz's contract which his father would never have done. I appreciate that he wanted a football mind for gm this time around after having a numbers and contract guy in Graves. The guy actually wants to win unlike Sarver (Suns owner). He has questionable judgment at times but if he lets Keim do his job, I think we can start turning this thing around.

Talon

Rookie quarterback Y was watching a combination of NFL's best hits and a certain Joe Theismann clip.
Meanwhile, Rookie Quarterback Z was grabbing the keys because he's the guy that would drive Quarterbacks X and Y to the drive thru.

He's just that sort of guy.
Bidwill Sr was the cheap bastard that held the franchise back for years. Mike has been pretty good thus far. New stadium, willing to pay top dollar for our core players, ate Whiz's contract which his father would never have done. I appreciate that he wanted a football mind for gm this time around after having a numbers and contract guy in Graves. The guy actually wants to win unlike Sarver (Suns owner). He has questionable judgment at times but if he lets Keim do his job, I think we can start turning this thing around.
You mean the new stadium that was paid for by local residents?

ari

Banned
Gannon steadily improved from 1998 on. By the time Trestman got there Gannon was coming off two excellent seasons.
I think trestman would be a decent hire and would be that tough coach our players need. I mean, if emery fuck this up, the packers would be a couple of years ahead of us (except on defense) so why complain about our shitty coach selection?

eznark

Banned
Dom Capers still has a job today huh?

Feels like we haven't heard a word out of Green Bay since the night of the loss.

Press conferences are today then Lando Stadium is closed. McCarthy at 4 then assistant coaches after. Capers is scheduled to talk at 5. The thinking is that the team wouldn't make Capers available with advance notice if they were planning on firing him.

It's season by season. You're division clearly has two teams who primarily play for the lead, we've had a couple obstacle seasons. Overall, it's pretty easy to make that argument, but you can just scan the overall standings at the end of the season and find that most of each conference is filled with garbage.

Understand i'm not blaming the Patriots for being successful or (aside from spygate, of course) alleging that their success is ill gotten. That said there is no division in the league (after the Manning left the Colts, anyway) that has a bigger disparity of talent in the front office and on the field than the AFC East.

Even now, as the Patriots on field talent is declining, the Patriots are still crushing the division. That's Belichick. The key to postseason success is staying consistent and disciplined in your division. The Patriots have had issues, and as i've said previous that's mostly a talent problem, because Belichick has them running like clockwork yearly. I'm glad that he can't draft worth a damn, because the Pats would have won at least 2 more championships then.

I love your defense. They would have been the best in the league if they had an offense that helped even just a little

I also have zero faith in them getting a coach who can do well with the offense. Offense is in demand, and the lowest bidder usually doesn't win. Unless they take a flier and get lucky on a non-name guy

Yeah I'm nervous about that too but even with top dollar, who was a good choice? Reid is the only coach I liked this off season and he wants too much power. After KC scooped him up, who's left? After Reid, severely underwhelmed by the remaining candidates (besides a Horton-Turner combo). We'll have to get lucky or hope there are better candidates after this new hire runs his contract out. Was there anyone you'd have considered a good candidate outside Reid?

brentech

Josh Sitton at least keeping it real:

“Well, San Francisco kicked our (expletive) at home” in Week 1 said Sitton. “They were a better team twice. They beat our (expletive) at home so, who knows? We create the circumstance, and we got our (expletive) beat.”

Asked about the solid protection by the offensive line last night against San Francisco’s formidable offense (Rodgers was sacked just once), Sitton shrugged.

“I guess so, it is. But in your eyes and everybody else’s eyes, we (expletive) suck, so, what does it matter?” he said.

Also, somebody made a comment about Payton and Belichick being the best coaches in the league. The only real similarity I can find with either of them is that they don't take their foot off of the gas until 60 minutes.

squicken

Here we go, pretending like rookie quarterback X is the only player looking at film in the offseason.

I don't know if he is special, or if he has a good PR machine. But both local and national media fall over themselves praising his work ethic. Sam Farmer of LAT and Sando gush about it. Sando has said "Wilson will never be out-worked" fwiw, and Sando isn't a hyperbole guy

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Press conferences are today then Lando Stadium is closed. McCarthy at 4 then assistant coaches after. Capers is scheduled to talk at 5. The thinking is that the team wouldn't make Capers available with advance notice if they were planning on firing him.

Oh cool, thanks!

Well it's possible that TT is going to hem and haw a bit with MM about Capers. They don't often make quick decisions so it wouldn't shock me if he was fired later. I'm expecting a lot of non-answers about Capers if someone asks MM about it.

Or they might confirm his return and put the blame on personnel rather than scheme. Felt like that last game of the season was schemed right just poorly executed. No excuse for the Niner game though which was vastly more important.

mr2xxx

Banned
Also, somebody made a comment about Payton and Belichick being the best coaches in the league. The only real similarity I can find with either of them is that they don't take their foot off of the gas until 60 minutes.

Probably the most annoying thing to witness in football. Watch your team go up big only to lose it because you play scared and all the momentum goes to the other team.

eznark

Banned
Oh cool, thanks!

Well it's possible that TT is going to hem and haw a bit with MM about Capers. They don't often make quick decisions so it wouldn't shock me if he was fired later. I'm expecting a lot of non-answers about Capers if someone asks MM about it.

Or they might confirm his return and put the blame on personnel rather than scheme. Felt like that last game of the season was schemed right just poorly executed. No excuse for the Niner game though which was vastly more important.

They'll confirm his return. Rack it.

squicken

Was there anyone you'd have considered a good candidate outside Reid?

I've sort of bought into the "program builder" idea of finding guys who have gone into bad situations, either college or pro, and turned things around. So BOB from Pedo State and Marrone from Syracuse are the two guys I think I would have wanted my team to go after.

I've never been a fan of retreads, unless there's something obvious you can point to as beyond their control that got them fired

Capers staying as defensive coordinator is music to my ears.

He looked really bad vs SF. Doubt fans are too happy, but gotta trust TT I guess

Sanjuro

Understand i'm not blaming the Patriots for being successful or (aside from spygate, of course) alleging that their success is ill gotten. That said there is no division in the league (after the Manning left the Colts, anyway) that has a bigger disparity of talent in the front office and on the field than the AFC East.

Even now, as the Patriots on field talent is declining, the Patriots are still crushing the division. That's Belichick. The key to postseason success is staying consistent and disciplined in your division. The Patriots have had issues, and as i've said previous that's mostly a talent problem, because Belichick has them running like clockwork yearly. I'm glad that he can't draft worth a damn, because the Pats would have won at least 2 more championships then.

I'll never really buy into the spygate arguments, but I understand it's flammable quality. I still believe if you stuck the Patriots into most divisions in the AFC, you would see a similar record. It's hard to defend the teams in the East though. Bills are a dead franchise, Jets has a knack for building quality teams and shit them away without making adjustments, and the Dolphins just never got over Marino.

I do miss having the Colts in the division. I have a feeling if you were going to make the argument using them as the template, they wouldn't have found nearly as much success in the AFC East long term.

Talon

I don't know if he is special, or if he has a good PR machine. But both local and national media fall over themselves praising his work ethic. Sam Farmer of LAT and Sando gush about it. Sando has said "Wilson will never be out-worked" fwiw, and Sando isn't a hyperbole guy
I guarantee you that I can find that quote about every acclaimed, successful rookie QB for the last five years.

I do. You can name all the teams in the AFC that are legit good on 2 fingers. Maybe 3 if Flacco is having a good day. Pats had 4 losses this season. Only one was to an AFC team, and that team was one of the 3 teams I referred to. The NFC don't have teams that are ahead of the top couple AFC teams, but they do have more well-rounded (and more interesting) teams.

The only positive about keeping Capers is that he probably won't make us suffer such humiliation at the hands of a running QB again.

It'll be something else next time. Flea flickers!

e: Also, :lol Bob. Capers makes Cutler look ridiculous every time we play him.

Top Bottom