• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

Talon

I imagine, as a football fan, I'd be pretty excited to go to Kansas City but really depressed at the thought of going to Jax, Oakland or Arizona.

Another SC QB failure will be fun to watch.

Sanjuro

I do. You can name all the teams in the AFC that are legit good on 2 fingers. Maybe 3 if Flacco is having a good day. Pats had 4 losses this season. Only one was to an AFC team, and that team was one of the 3 teams I referred to. The NFC don't have teams that are ahead of the top couple AFC teams, but they do have more well-rounded (and more interesting) teams.

I counted the teams in the NFC. I couldn't even finger a sconi with the fingers I counted.

Mrbob

Going to go ahead and get this out of the way now. Time to call Trestman Bestman because he is the best man for the job. My wit knows no bounds.

On a coaching sad to hear the Bears are going to lose Toub.

eznark

Banned
Going to go ahead and get this out of the way now. Time to call Trestman Bestman because he is the best man for the job. My wit knows no bounds.

MARION-BARBER-FLIP.gif

Apparently we are also eating Graves contract for over another mil. No way that guy gets hired anywhere but I'm hopeful that some team will take most of what we owe Whiz off our hands. Even if it's just OC money.

Talon

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/gil-brandt/155116

Gil Brandt first mock draft. Joeckel to KC. Warmack to Iggles at #4. Really likes him
Maybe I'm crazy, but I've seen a lot of Oregon games and Dion Jordan has never popped out to me much.
Don't think Mingo will get past the Steelers if he's still available.

Te'o's slipped on draft boards recently too.
Hmm...interesting. Interested to see how much he'll have to show off in terms of standing up leading up to the combine. He definitely rushed from the two technique a few times - helps when you're the fastest guy on the field as a defensive end sometimes.

This draft is deep in defensive linemen...and shallow at the skill positions.

LevelNth

Banned
I don't know if he is special, or if he has a good PR machine. But both local and national media fall over themselves praising his work ethic. Sam Farmer of LAT and Sando gush about it. Sando has said "Wilson will never be out-worked" fwiw, and Sando isn't a hyperbole guy
I disagree, and he is quite a subtle Seahawks homer (which honestly I don't mind if you're honest about it, which he somewhat is to his credit).

He definitely is fond of jumping to conclusions and living only in the moment, though really, who at ESPN isn't?

squicken

Ogletree top ten? fuuuuuuuuuck

Lol a Badger to Green Bay? I guess he doesn't pay attention.

As far as STL he seems to know Fishers history with RBs. One of the dinosaurs when it comes to putting 1st round grades on them. Been wraning Rams fans about that since he was hired. It's just something he's going to do.

Anyone know much on Keenan Allen. See this is the reason the Professor Football thread has to have draft talk. LJ knows all these guys, ari doesn't

I disagree, and he is quite a subtle Seahawks homer (which honestly I don't mind if you're honest about it, which he somewhat is to his credit).

He definitely is fond of jumping to conclusions and living only in the moment, though really, who at ESPN isn't?

haha he is honest about it I think. I love his podcast with the NFCN guy. My favorite thing about Sando is he refuses to go to STL. One game a year, and who could blame him? But it is sort of a blind spot b/c he is far more plugged in w/SEA than any of the other teams. No one in SF to feed him stuff on Kaep's work ethic

eznark

Banned

Wilson has gotten the same praise since High School. The people at Wisconsin raved about him. (They are saying the same things about his sister who just committed to play bball in Madison). Sure a lot of it is probably hyperbole but knowing people who know him, he is a dedicated mother fucker per every single account.

That said, most professional athletes are so who cares? Such a hollow compliment.

bionic77

Don't think Mingo will get past the Steelers if he's still available.

Te'o's slipped on draft boards recently too.
Not sure what the biggest need for us is, edge rusher or inside linebacker to hold down the middle and maybe even call some plays on defense. We really need to get it right though.

I actually think ILB is the bigger need (assuming Woodley earns his contract and Harrison squeezes out one more year) but we should take the best player at those two positions available.

harSon

Banned
Maybe I'm crazy, but I've seen a lot of Oregon games and Dion Jordan has never popped out to me much.

Hmm...interesting. Interested to see how much he'll have to show off in terms of standing up leading up to the combine. He definitely rushed from the two technique a few times - helps when you're the fastest guy on the field as a defensive end sometimes.

Perfect for us :D

eznark

Banned
As far as STL he seems to know Fishers history with RBs. One of the dinosaurs when it comes to putting 1st round grades on them. Been wraning Rams fans about that since he was hired. It's just something he's going to do.

Anyone know much on Keenan Allen. See this is the reason the Professor Football thread has to have draft talk. LJ knows all these guys, ari doesn't

I did not watch him play more than two or three games but he seemed lazy to me. Nonchalant, slowed routes down field, took plays off. But he was also pretty crisp when he wanted to be. I maybe just saw some off-games but I wouldn't want to take him. He was also banged up and Maynard sucked.

Not sure what the biggest need for us is, edge rusher or inside linebacker to hold down the middle and maybe even call some plays on defense. We really need to get it right though.

I actually think ILB is the bigger need (assuming Woodley earns his contract and Harrison squeezes out one more year) but we should take the best player at those two positions available.

Inside Linebacker, by far.

That said the talent just isn't there in the first round to draft that Position. Colbert is going for a lock so unless he takes Te'o or puts one of the outside backers inside it'll be an edge rusher.

Perfect for us :D

Shy of maybe Nose tackle DL is the one position we don't need.

bionic77

That said the talent just isn't there in the first round to draft that Position. Colbert is going for a lock so unless he takes Te'o or puts one of the outside backers inside it'll be an edge rusher.

Talent is always there, you just have to smart enough to find it. Our best player on defense for the last 5 years was someone no one in the NFL wanted and was cut by the Steelers and Ravens multiple times. Harrison went on to be a DPOY and made the greatest play in Superbowl history (IMO).

There are always gems in almost every round of the draft. We have really sucked dick though lately outside of the first two rounds.

We don't necessarily need a game changer at ILB. I will take someone who is really smart who can tackle like a mofo and is athletic enough. We do need a game changer as a pass rusher though. Going to be really hard to replace Harrison. There are not a lot of players like him.

Talon said:
Perfect for the Giants after a down year in the pass rush department. Especially with Osi leaving, Tuck playing on one shoulder and a hole at defensive tackle. Time to restock that defensive line, Reese.

eznark

Banned
Are you preparing your phone call to Jim Rome?

Listen. The thing you have to understand. Is. That. Jim. Rome. isnotgoingtoliveforever. SomeONE is going toooooooooooooooooooo have to fillthoseshoes. This youngkidfamilymanupstartasshole who is tucked away in some PO dunk town in Indy is. just. what. this. country. needs. toimprovesportstalk.

Killajew Smith. Next Great Radio Guy. Rack It.

Caller, go.

Talon

People are about to get really familiar with Bjoern Werner. Crazy that a FSU guy can seem to fly under the radar nationally.

bionic77

When they were healthy our secondary was not a problem this year. In fact I think once they got comfortable we were better without Troy. No idea what shape he is coming back in. When is the last time Troy was playing at a high level?

squicken

Lacy to the Rams?

Did Richardson not work out last year?

Edit: Just saw your other post.

If Trent Richardson, that was who the Rams wanted at #6 last year. Fisher then snapped his glasses when JAX jumped them for Blackmon. Would rather have Brockers than Trent so I'm not mad. Dunno on Blackmon. Need to see him with an NFL QB

Daryl Richardson did nothing in the second half and had fumbling and pass pro issues. Pead did nothing, which is alarming for a RB. Fisher may have decided with SJAX that having a big guy back there for pass pro is optimal

I did not watch him play more than two or three games but he seemed lazy to me. Nonchalant, slowed routes down field, took plays off. But he was also pretty crisp when he wanted to be. I maybe just saw some off-games but I wouldn't want to take him. He was also banged up and Maynard sucked.

thx ez

Talent is always there, you just have to smart enough to find it. Our best player on defense for the last 5 years was someone no one in the NFL wanted and was cut by the Steelers and Ravens multiple times. Harrison went on to be a DPOY and made the greatest play in Superbowl history (IMO).

There are always gems in almost every round of the draft. We have really sucked dick though lately outside of the first two rounds.

We don't necessarily need a game changer at ILB. I will take someone who is really smart who can tackle like a mofo and is athletic enough. We do need a game changer as a pass rusher though. Going to be really hard to replace Harrison. There are not a lot of players like him.

Yeah, Colbert doesn't draft like that though. The first round isn't for experiments. It's for guys who have proven their worth on the field in college and can go. 3-7 is where Colbert and Tomlin experiment with diamonds in the rough.

When they were healthy our secondary was not a problem this year. In fact I think once they got comfortable we were better without Troy. No idea what shape he is coming back in. When is the last time Troy was playing at a high level?

Troy is still the same player he always was - when he's healthy.

That's his problem. It really comes down to whether or not the Steelers think he can stay healthy. If they don't then they may as well cut him. Safety isn't looking overly hot in this draft anyway.

Greg

Listen. The thing you have to understand. Is. That. Jim. Rome. isnotgoingtoliveforever. SomeONE is going toooooooooooooooooooo have to fillthoseshoes. This youngkidfamilymanupstartasshole who is tucked away in some PO dunk town in Indy is. just. what. this. country. needs. toimprovesportstalk.

Caller, go.
:jnc

Caller, go.
Haha, perfect.

cdyhybrid

People are about to get really familiar with Bjoern Werner. Crazy that a FSU guy can seem to fly under the radar nationally.

The difference between playing in the ACC and the SEC. I've heard plenty about him actually as a top 10ish type, but I'm a college fan, so that might explain it.

Caller, go.

Post of the postseason.

eznark

Banned

I feel like he was way, way better last year for what it's worth. Seems like a head case a little bit. One of those guy who might really move up fast if he has a good combine.

FSU has been under the radar. I pay a fair amount of attention to college football and I was really blown away by just how talented that defense was in their bowl game.

eznark

Banned
I want the Seahawks to get Deandre Hopkins so bad. He was brilliant all year at getting open when the pocket broke down. He played his ass off 100% of the time (that I saw) and is just one of those smooth natural ball catchers. Just has a knack for finding seams and holes. Pairing him with Wilson would be really, really special.

cdyhybrid

I want the Seahawks to get Deandre Hopkins so bad. He was brilliant all year at getting open when the pocket broke down. He played his ass off 100% of the time (that I saw) and is just one of those smooth natural ball catchers. Just has a knack for finding seams and holes. Pairing him with Wilson would be really, really special.

I wasn't really familiar other than hearing that he's good, because Watkins gets most of the press. But that sounds like the perfect draft pick. He's 6'1" too, so he has decent size. Do want.

Talon

FSU has been under the radar. I pay a fair amount of attention to college football and I was really blown away by just how talented that defense was in their bowl game.
Right, and that was after Tank Carradine (who probably would've been a first rounder as well) blew out his knee against Florida.

Carradine will be interesting to watch. Juco transfer from two season ago (2011) with 11 sacks this year. Doesn't have too much of an injury history, but he's also just a one year starter after being used situationally last year. Really burst onto the scene this year, but how much of that was having Werner on the opposite side of the formation - and vice versa? Sounds like another of those sleepers that everyone will be talking about in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

Seemed hyperathletic from what I saw of him this year.
Are you about to :seachicken on us?

squicken

I think the Eagles are gonna get Geno. Either trade up if he impresses at the combine or take him at 4 if he falls. No way can they go into a season with Foles.

You do not want Geno. I probably watched 8 of his games this year, and I'm not sure he's better than Landry Jones. The guy most people seem to be curious on is Tyler Wilson. Such a disaster after Petrino's misadventure, and has concussion issue, but could be the guy to come out of this QB class. Didn't watch much Arky so don't have a strong opinion

mr2xxx

Banned
Glad this year is defense heavy because that is what we need. Our biggest needs are FS, CB, RT, ILB. We still have Tanard Jackson and Merriweather who havent played much due to injuries and suspension but are likely upgrades over our current starters Williams and Doughty. Our top two corners Wilson and Hall are average, Hall is supposed to have a big pay day this year but I'm sure he will restructure because no one will pay him big money. At RT Jamal Brown has been MIA since signing and Polumbus has been bad so something needs to be done here. ILB will need to be drafted since Fletcher is nearing retirement unless 5th rd pick Keenan Robinson develops.

Dragon

Banned

Fraud Packers fan cheering for another NFC franchise.

eznark

Banned
Are you about to :seachicken on us?

My love of Wilson cannot be squelched by frivolous things like fan loyalty.

Honestly, I just want to see how well he plays with a legit receiving threat and the Seahawks are pretty well stacked so they can probably afford a WR in the late first.

I would never, ever, ever want the Packers to take a WR in the first round so it also helps GB!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Nooooo!!!

I just realized that Sammy Watkins will be eligible for the next draft as well. Watkins, Clowney, Marqise Lee. 2014 draft will be fucking ridiculous.

This would be a great time to con some shit team out of their first pick next year. Get me the Browns on the phone!

Top Bottom