• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

Talon

Geno Smith, West Virginia: I don't know what happened to Smith, who dropped off in the second half of the season after nobody could get him out in the first half. Smith puts a lot of velocity on the ball, and I think he can run the zone-read, because he's very athletic.
What are you really trying to say, Gil?

cdyhybrid

Geno does not look like a guy that can run. What the hell.

Seahawks have 10 picks in the draft. Schneider is a draft wizard, I'm looking forward to it.

Talon

You do not want Geno. I probably watched 8 of his games this year, and I'm not sure he's better than Landry Jones. The guy most people seem to be curious on is Tyler Wilson. Such a disaster after Petrino's misadventure, and has concussion issue, but could be the guy to come out of this QB class. Didn't watch much Arky so don't have a strong opinion
I'll say this much. I've never seen someone's sphincter tighten up so quickly with the game on the line.

Is that more or less than Matt Stafford, King o' Clutch?

Wow, weird twist of the day, supposedly Dom Capers contract expired after this season.

Interesting. I feel like I remember hearing about that last year when people were really calling for his head but totally forgot.

Glad this year is defense heavy because that is what we need. Our biggest needs are FS, CB, RT, ILB. We still have Tanard Jackson and Merriweather who havent played much due to injuries and suspension but are likely upgrades over our current starters Williams and Doughty. Our top two corners Wilson and Hall are average, Hall is supposed to have a big pay day this year but I'm sure he will restructure because no one will pay him big money. At RT Jamal Brown has been MIA since signing and Polumbus has been bad so something needs to be done here. ILB will need to be drafted since Fletcher is nearing retirement unless 5th rd pick Keenan Robinson develops.

I'd love to take a chance on some big physical corners personally. Whether that's in the 2nd round or 5th I don't really care, but we're way too small in the backfield.

bionic77

What is this? Are you in the Spectral camp of hall of famer or bust?
You have to take some chances, but you can't waste all your lower picks on gambles. It really pays big dividends to have some depth at key positions (i.e. offensive line, defensive line, qb, etc.).

Right now depth is not our problem because we don't have enough quality starters, but we should be smarter about how we draft for depth.

And Jakncoke when is the last time Troy was making "splash" plays? Dude can't even tackle in the open field anymore, can't defense passes, and is not even the force at the LOS that he used to be. I love him as a player and I hope I am wrong, but I have serious doubts about his future in the NFL. He is getting paid way too much money to just play over the top and be our safety valve. A guy making that kind of money has to be making game changing plays and creating turnovers. That is what he is paid to do and recently he has not lived up to his contract.

jakncoke

Banned
You have to take some chances, but you can't waste all your lower picks on gambles. It really pays big dividends to have some depth at key positions (i.e. offensive line, defensive line, qb, etc.).

Right now depth is not our problem because we don't have enough quality starters, but we should be smarter about how we draft for depth.

And Jakncoke when is the last time Troy was making "splash" plays? Dude can't even tackle in the open field anymore, can't defense passes, and is not even the force at the LOS that he used to be. I love him as a player and I hope I am wrong, but I have serious doubts about his future in the NFL. He is getting paid way too much money to just play over the top and be our safety valve. A guy making that kind of money has to be making game changing plays and creating turnovers. That is what he is paid to do and recently he has not lived up to his contract.

Pretty sure you're calling out the wrong person here, I havent said anything about Troy or splash plays. Your wife has crossed the line and taken your ability to quote the right member :(

cdyhybrid

Radio is floating the idea that the Hawks could trade up for someone like Star Lotulelei since we have 10 picks in Falcons-esque fashion. Not sure I like that idea. I'd save that for next year.

eznark

Banned
Radio is floating the idea that the Hawks could trade up for someone like Star Lotulelei since we have 10 picks in Falcons-esque fashion. Not sure I like that idea. I'd save that for next year.

Trying to predict what he will do it futile. Pete is a flaky old weirdo.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

The entirety of the wr corp was taken 3rd round or later. Two starting corners, 3rd round or later. All of the lb depth, 3rd round or later.

Let me take a different tact. Show me a team that does better.

And Troy hasn't been the same since Madden took his calf. :(

RBH

If Trent Richardson, that was who the Rams wanted at #6 last year. Fisher then snapped his glasses when JAX jumped them for Blackmon. Would rather have Brockers than Trent so I'm not mad. Dunno on Blackmon. Need to see him with an NFL QB

Daryl Richardson did nothing in the second half and had fumbling and pass pro issues. Pead did nothing, which is alarming for a RB. Fisher may have decided with SJAX that having a big guy back there for pass pro is optimal

thx ez

Yeah, was referring to Daryl.

eznark

Banned
Keenan Allen's best comparable is Victor Cruz? Big frame slot guy?
tumblr_mclu8975oB1qzbwkjo1_500.jpg

bionic77

Pretty sure you're calling out the wrong person here, I havent said anything about Troy or splash plays. Your wife has crossed the line and taken your ability to quote the right member :(
Its not the wife this time, it is the flu.

I feel like garbage. Don't even want to be home because both my kids have it and are miserable to be around.

This is one of the few times I envy you single dudes! Even though you might have raw hands from the loneliness at least you don't have to manage two cranky and sick babies at the same time.

Ugh fuck the flu. And fuck modern medicine for not having a cure for this shit!

mr2xxx

Banned
I'd love to take a chance on some big physical corners personally. Whether that's in the 2nd round or 5th I don't really care, but we're way too small in the backfield.

That be nice but our history developing CBs outside the first round has been abysmal. Not sure if we are just bad at it or its difficult for everyone.

bionic77

The entirety of the wr corp was taken 3rd round or later. Two starting corners, 3rd round or later. All of the lb depth, 3rd round or later.

Let me take a different tact. Show me a team that does better.

And Troy hasn't been the same since Madden took his calf. :(
What LB depth?

I give you the corners and receivers. We have been lights out in the department. And our o-line might be something great if they stay healthy next year. So I am being a little hard on their drafting, but I always want more from them.

Speaking of receivers I wonder if we are going to draft a replacement for Wallace, let one of the other guys step up, or look to FA.

eznark

Banned
If a guy's upside is Keyshawn then I want Tavon Austin (assuming Amendola walks)

Tavon Austin is going to die in the NFL.

Seems like a team would be way better off backing up the money truck to Jennings than drafting these wide outs. I don't think there is anyone out there who is a sure thing.

jakncoke

Banned
Its not the wife this time, it is the flu.

I feel like garbage. Don't even want to be home because both my kids have it and are miserable to be around.

This is one of the few times I envy you single dudes! Even though you might have raw hands from the loneliness at least you don't have to manage two cranky and sick babies at the same time.

Ugh fuck the flu. And fuck modern medicine for not having a cure for this shit!

Im glad I hardly get sick.

SonnyBoy

That be nice but our history developing CBs outside the first round has been abysmal. Not sure if we are just bad at it or its difficult for everyone.

I think Raheem Morris will change that for us. I wouldn't be shocked if we make a run at Talib (might be misspelled).

Also, I expect us to resign Hall for a small fee. He knows that he won't get paid anywhere else.

Don't forget that we got a steal in the draft by taking a chance on Minnifield. I'm looking forward to seeing how good he is.

I think this year has shown that they are developing their players better than before.

Today is not yesterday though. Shanny has been great in terms of drafting.

This. And staying true to playing the best players regardless of salary implications.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
What LB depth?

I give you the corners and receivers. We have been lights out in the department. And our o-line might be something great if they stay healthy next year. So I am being a little hard on their drafting, but I always want more from them.

Speaking of receivers I wonder if we are going to draft a replacement for Wallace, let one of the other guys step up, or look to FA.

Trade the first pick of the 2013 draft for the Browns' second in 2013 and their first in 2014. Then I can root for the Browns to pee pee for Lee. Otherwise, I'm going to have to hope the Steelers go 2-14 next year.

In other words, the Steelers are bringing back Plax and then picking up a wr in the 5th.

I'll assume you're talking to me.

Against the Bungholes:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/0ap2000000116493/Steelers-defense-sack-6-yd-loss

Against the Clowns:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/0ap2000000118708/Polamalu-picks-off-Young

Still amazing a calf strain kept Polamalu out 9 gms ffs

Take it for what you will, but "off the bone" was bandied about quite a bit.

It's true, their later round drafting has been suspect. Some people want to keep reading and believing the national guys' stories about how awesome the Steelers are at drafting when the reason they've been on a steady decline since '10 is that they haven't replaced the aging stars with quality players. The '08 draft turned out to be one of the worst drafts the Steelers have had in 15 years and that's even counting Mendenhall's productive years. And the '09 one won't be much better looking if they lose both Keenan Lewis and Wallace to free agency. Jury is still out on '10, though guys like Worilds, Sylvester and Dwyer haven't proven that they can be full time starters. Still too early to judge the '11 and '12 guys though it looks like they have at least picked up some Olinemen and maybe a couple DBs that can play.

harSon

Banned
Still amazing a calf strain kept Polamalu out 9 gms ffs

Because we have a tendency to rush players back from injury.

Troy is still great around the line of scrimmage, and he's still sound in the tackling department, but he has definitely made some mistakes this year when it comes to pass coverage.

It's true, their later round drafting has been suspect. Some people want to keep reading and believing the national guys' stories about how awesome the Steelers are at drafting when the reason they've been on a steady decline since '10 is that they haven't replaced the aging stars with quality players. The '08 draft turned out to be one of the worst drafts the Steelers have had in 15 years and that's even counting Mendenhall's productive years. And the '09 one won't be much better looking if they lose both Keenan Lewis and Wallace to free agency. Jury is still out on '10, though guys like Worilds, Sylvester and Dwyer haven't proven that they can be full time starters. Still too early to judge the '11 and '12 guys though it looks like they have at least picked up some Olinemen and maybe a couple DBs that can play.

It's not exactly fair to call 09 a bad draft when the good players could be lost to FA.

mr2xxx

Banned
Today is not yesterday though. Shanny has been great in terms of drafting.

Hopefully but when it comes to CBs, especially in later rounds it seems very difficult. Not even the defensive guru Belicheck could hit on a CB. I'd have no issues if we took someone with character issues like janoris Jenkins type, high upside with character issues. Bruce did take a risk on Talib so its possible.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
As far as STL he seems to know Fishers history with RBs. One of the dinosaurs when it comes to putting 1st round grades on them. Been wraning Rams fans about that since he was hired. It's just something he's going to do.

Anyone know much on Keenan Allen. See this is the reason the Professor Football thread has to have draft talk. LJ knows all these guys, ari doesn't

haha he is honest about it I think. I love his podcast with the NFCN guy. My favorite thing about Sando is he refuses to go to STL. One game a year, and who could blame him? But it is sort of a blind spot b/c he is far more plugged in w/SEA than any of the other teams. No one in SF to feed him stuff on Kaep's work ethic

Keenan's got great athleticism, and has high end top speed. But isn't a polished WR. But was good enough to be highly sought after by Saban at Alabama. But Saban wanted him at CB and not WR. But be warned, he might not sign his contract to whichever team he goes to. Not until that team signs his half brother, Zach Maynard, to be the QB!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The 2008 Steeler draft was absolute shit. But if players leave via free agency, you can't say that was bad drafting. Those players they took late were so good they couldn't afford to resign them...terrible drafting. Pick shittier players!

harSon

Banned

I don't think we've ever been that amazing at drafting in the later rounds. We've always excelled in rounds 1-4, and I still think that's true today.

And outside of injuries, much of our issues have to do with an inability to let go of veterans, and force our young players to pick up the slack.

bionic77

I'll assume you're talking to me.

Against the Bungholes:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/0ap2000000116493/Steelers-defense-sack-6-yd-loss

Against the Clowns:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/0ap2000000118708/Polamalu-picks-off-Young

Take it for what you will, but "off the bone" was bandied about quite a bit.
The sack was old time Troy, but that INT was nothing amazing. It was a really bad decision and pass from the qb. That was from his inability to read the defense.

Troy's brain obviously still works, it is his body I am worried about.

You can argue if you want, but he has not been a great player for a considerable amount of time. I feel like ever since his injury against the Titans immediately following the SB he has been limited more often then he has been effective.

Top Bottom