• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

Florio and PFT can all eat a bag of dicks.
image.php

What are you suggesting then? Not everybody can be a 5 year starter. David Johnson was drafted when we still under the Bruce's "Tight Ends ain't shit" system.

I'm not suggesting anything, I'm saying the '09 draft three years later has been nothing to write home about. I don't understand why a person can't be critical of the Colbert/Tomlin team on this. There's several reasons why this team went from losing a SB to losing to Tebow in round 1 to out of the playoffs and it's more than just injuries.

Yes, because every player that leaves from FA is because they were so awesome that everybody wanted them. No team has ever let a player walk after his initial contract simply because they thought they could replace him with something better, right?

Do you honestly think that's the case for Lewis and Wallace?

I'm not suggesting anything, I'm saying the '09 draft three years later has been nothing to write home about. I don't understand why a person can't be critical of the Colbert/Tomlin team on this. There's several reasons why this team went from losing a SB to losing to Tebow in round 1 to out of the playoffs and it's more than just injuries.

Of course there are. I don't think Colbert or Tomlin are infallible, but I do think that Steelers fans have an unrealistic expectation for drafting talent. Every team has suffered downtime from the tail end of the core players getting old. Doesn't mean it's time to fire the FO staff.

Fantomex

I just visited Bleacher Report. ( I know) and some dude is arguing that the new Miami logo will make it harder for us to draft, come up with gameplans and dictate the offense. I'm serious.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Do you honestly think that's the case for Lewis and Wallace?

No, but his blanket statement that if players leave through FA then they must be good is bullshit.

And lets not pretend that everyone will be pissed off if the Rooneys don't unload money on Wallace and let him go.

Of course there are. I don't think Colbert or Tomlin are infallible, but I do think that Steelers fans have an unrealistic expectation for drafting talent. Every team has suffered downtime from the tail end of the core players getting old. Doesn't mean it's time to fire the FO staff.

I never said it's time to fire the FO. Wanting them to draft better doesn't mean I want everyone fired. These issues don't have to be all or nothing you know.

No, but his blanket statement that if players leave through FA then they must be good is bullshit.

And lets not pretend that everyone will be pissed off if the Rooneys don't unload money on Wallace and let him go.

No matter what happens Steelers fans will be pissed. We both know that.

I never said it's time to fire the FO. Wanting them to draft better doesn't mean I want everyone fired. These issues don't have to be all or nothing you know.
I wasn't saying you specifically. I'm just getting tired of reading about some false eventuality that we could have reloaded with the same caliber players and that not happening is on the FO. This is mostly a complaint about the general forum sentiment at the boards I frequent, not anybody here.

brentech

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/186981591.html

Not sure about live video. Follow Wilde on twitter I guess

Never really knew Rodgers radio show was available online, found it through Wildes Twitter. I only follow official Packers twitter account until now, and get most my other readable news via JSonline Packers.

Having never had the chance to listen to Rodgers on radio show before, I don't know what he's usually like on there, but I like what he has to say today.

eznark

Banned
Never really knew Rodgers radio show was available online, found it through Wildes Twitter. I only follow official Packers twitter account until now, and get most my other readable news via JSonline Packers.

Having never had the chance to listen to Rodgers on radio show before, I don't know what he's usually like on there, but I like what he has to say today.

It's amazing. Available as a podcast too. Guy is very open about football. Always bitches at Wilde for prying too much into his personal life. Wilde is such a little bitch.

harSon

Banned

Naw, this year it was because of injuries. We found out that we lack depth at the 4th and 5th string positions at the Offensive Line and Secondary. Oh, and 2nd and 3rd string at QB.

brentech

It's amazing. Available as a podcast too. Guy is very open about football. Always bitches at Wilde for prying too much into his personal life. Wilde is such a little bitch.

I wish I knew this through the season. I've been missing podcasts on my way to work...been a long time since I found one worth listening to

Naw, this year it was because of injuries. We found out that we lack depth at the 4th and 5th string positions at the Offensive Line and Secondary. Oh, and 2nd and 3rd string at QB.

Ben Roethlisberger is the reason the Steelers aren't in the playoffs now. Whether by injury or selfish play, he cost us at least 4 games.

harSon

Banned
Ben Roethlisberger is the reason the Steelers aren't in the playoffs now. Whether by injury or selfish play, he cost us at least 4 games.

What's with your Ben hatred hard on?

How about the defense's slow start and inability to stop offenses early within the season while Ben was playing lights out? How about the defense's inability to stop the pass at the tail end of the season because of injury to the secondary? Or the game where Antonio Brown went out of his way to throw the game? Or Mike Wallace's constant drops? Or the offensive line being decimated by injury, completely killing our running game and ability to protect the QB? Or the fact that the team didn't have a viable 2nd string QB to replace Ben if he were to be injured?

Ben was definitely a problem, but he was the least of our problems, and to put the season's failures on his shoulders alone is beyond retarded.

What's with your Ben hatred hard on?

How about the defense's slow start and inability to stop offenses early within the season while Ben was playing lights out? How about the defense's inability to stop the pass at the tail end of the season because of injury to the secondary? Or the game where Antonio Brown went out of his way to throw the game? Or Mike Wallace's constant drops? Or the offensive line being decimated by injury, completely killing our running game and ability to protect the QB? Or the fact that the team didn't have a viable 2nd string QB to replace Ben if he were to be injured?

Ben was definitely a problem, but he was the least of our problems, and to put the season's failures on his shoulders alone is beyond retarded.

So you admit it wasn't all injuries then? ;)

The reason i'm so hard on Ben is because when he came back from that injury he put Haley's offense in the trash. I get it - he wasn't getting to take as many deep shots, or use as much no huddle. Abandoning the system to go back to running around like a chicken with his head cut off is not the answer, but that's what Ben decided to do. No surprise the offense went in the toilet. So yes, it's on Ben.

Did the defense have a slow start? Sure. That Broncos season opener was winnable, as was the Raiders game. The one constant was Ben. At the beginning of the season I was complaining that Ben never makes that kill shot - when the Steelers get a lead, guarantee that Ben will sit down on it and screw off. The Steelers offense never puts anyone away and surprise surprise the other team comes back and burns their ass. Frankly I cut the defense some slack because even at their worst they're constantly bailing the offense out, only to come right back on the field anyway.

cajunator

Banned
Its 39F here. Not cold by any measure but shitty enough for me.
What do yall do when its like -10F outside? Stay inside and read a book?

harSon

Banned
So you admit it wasn't all injuries then? ;)

The reason i'm so hard on Ben is because when he came back from that injury he put Haley's offense in the trash. I get it - he wasn't getting to take as many deep shots, or use as much no huddle. Abandoning the system to go back to running around like a chicken with his head cut off is not the answer, but that's what Ben decided to do. No surprise the offense went in the toilet. So yes, it's on Ben.

He didn't have a choice.

The only reason Haley's offense worked before Ben's injury is because our offensive line was healthy, and as a result, we were able to keep defense's honest with the run game and capable of keeping Ben off his back. You bought into the retarded narrative that Ben was unhappy with Haley's offense, and are attempting to blanket it over the entirety of the tail end of our season.

Post Ben injury; our offensive line couldn't block worth a shit, we couldn't run to save our lives, our receivers not only failed to get separation but they couldn't hold onto a ball, our defense couldn't stop a nose bleed and we were desperate to salvage our season. Basically a recipe for a desperate situation, and it's clear that Ben wasn't healthy enough to take that level of burden.

Ben wasn't the sole reason we had a failure of a season, end of story. I typically allow people opinions, but in this case, it's clearly not even debatable. It was a team effort, and Ben was the least of our worries, unless you somehow fault him for his line's inability to keep him healthy.

KingKong

Its 39F here. Not cold by any measure but shitty enough for me.
What do yall do when its like -10F outside? Stay inside and read a book?

its not that bad, I walk 7 blocks from the bus stop to work and it was ~6 degrees in the morning yesterday, just gotta keep moving. that feel of coming in from outside into a warm building cant be beat though

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
MM makes it sound like he wants Finley to stick around.

edit: And it sounds like he's going to fight to keep Capers so that's that.

harSon

Banned
Did the defense have a slow start? Sure. That Broncos season opener was winnable, as was the Raiders game. The one constant was Ben. At the beginning of the season I was complaining that Ben never makes that kill shot - when the Steelers get a lead, guarantee that Ben will sit down on it and screw off. The Steelers offense never puts anyone away and surprise surprise the other team comes back and burns their ass. Frankly I cut the defense some slack because even at their worst they're constantly bailing the offense out, only to come right back on the field anyway.

You're just grasping for shit at this point. The defense was fucking horrible in the beginning of the season. They got destroyed by the Raiders and Titans. Carson Palmer and Matt Hasselbeck fucking had their way with us. There's no excuse for that. I mean, Jesus Christ, Ben was 36/49 for 384 yards, 4 touchdowns and 0 interceptions and our defense still couldn't stop the Raiders enough to give us a win.

And how are you going to cut the Defense some slack for past play, and subsequently throw Ben under the bus? That makes absolutely ZERO sense Lol.

brentech

MM makes it sound like he wants Finley to stick around.

edit: And it sounds like he's going to fight to keep Capers so that's that.

said he seem changed from bye week on, but said they have to evaluate everything he did.

and I just lost the feed

He didn't have a choice.

The only reason Haley's offense worked before Ben's injury is because our offensive line was healthy, and as a result, we were able to keep defense's honest with the run game and capable of keeping Ben off his back. You bought into the retarded narrative that Ben was unhappy with Haley's offense, and are attempting to blanket it over the entirety of the tail end of our season.

Post Ben injury; our offensive line couldn't block worth a shit, we couldn't run to save our lives, our receivers not only failed to get separation but they couldn't hold onto a ball, our defense couldn't stop a nose bleed and we were desperate to salvage our season. Basically a recipe for a desperate situation, and it's clear that Ben wasn't healthy enough to take that level of burden.

Ben wasn't the sole reason we had a failure of a season, end of story. I typically allow people opinions, but in this case, it's clearly not even debatable. It was a team effort, and Ben was the least of our worries, unless you somehow fault him for his line's inability to keep him healthy.
Come on Harson, GTFO of here with that shit. Ben can't take the checkdown? He purposely forwent the short stuff to gamble downfield. Haley's offense isn't just playcalling, it's also philosophy. If it's not there, THROW IT AWAY. If your o-line can't block, THROW IT AWAY.

cajunator

Banned
its not that bad, I walk 7 blocks from the bus stop to work and it was ~6 degrees in the morning yesterday, just gotta keep moving. that feel of coming in from outside into a warm building cant be beat though

How humid is it though. the problem is that down here on the Gulf it is really damp and the coldness seeps into all layers of clothing and is very hard to shield against. Layers dont really do shit. specially if the wind is present and forces that wet air into your clothing. It sucks so much.

I just visited Bleacher Report. ( I know) and some dude is arguing that the new Miami logo will make it harder for us to draft, come up with gameplans and dictate the offense. I'm serious.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Whenever I'm desperately googling for favorable rumors, I always include "- bleacher report" at the end of each search. Otherwise 90% of the results are BS guesses and opinions for or against said guesses.

harSon

Banned
Come on Harson, GTFO of here with that shit. Ben can't take the checkdown? He purposely forwent the short stuff to gamble downfield. Haley's offense isn't just playcalling, it's also philosophy. If it's not there, THROW IT AWAY. If your o-line can't block, THROW IT AWAY.

Did you even watch the fucking games? Our offense was incapable of moving the ball unless Ben scrambled and created time. Ben could have certainly taken the check down or thrown the ball away, but we would have had 3 and outs or pathetic short drives more than we already were without Ben trying to create something out of nothing.

It's not Ben's fault that Haley refused to give up the run, and constantly put us in 3rd and long situations where the defenses KNOW FOR A FACT that we're going to pass the ball, which is a scenario that our offensive line is going to fail within 99.9% of the time.

Top Bottom