• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

RGIII Rookie of the Year:

Pro Football Weekly, along with the Pro Football Writers of America, announced that Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III has been named their overall Rookie of the Year and Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Griffin III, 22, finished the season having completed 258-of-393 passes (65.6 percent) for 3,200 passing yards, 20 touchdowns, only five interceptions and a passer rating of 102.4, all team rookie records.

In addition, he rushed 120 times for 815 yards with seven rushing touchdowns in 2012, all three of which are team records for a quarterback. His 102.4 passer rating, 1.3 interception rate and 815 rushing yards are all NFL records for rookie quarterbacks.

Griffin III also led the NFL in yards per pass attempt (8.14), yards per rush attempt (6.8) and least interceptions thrown among players with 300-plus pass attempts (5).

Griffin III began and finished his rookie campaign making history. With a season-opening win against the New Orleans Saints, he became the first player born in the 1990s to start at quarterback in NFL history.

In the victory he completed 19-of-26 passes for 320 yards and two touchdowns and finished with a passer rating of 139.9, becoming the first player in NFL history to compile 300-plus passing yards, two or more passing touchdowns and no interceptions in an NFL debut.

Griffin III finished the regular season helping the Redskins defeat the Dallas Cowboys in Week 17 to win their first NFC Championship since 1999. He surpassed 800 yards rushing for the season in the game, becoming the first rookie quarterback with 800-plus yards on the ground and 3,000-plus passing yards in a season.

Griffin III also earned his first career Pro Bowl selection, becoming the first Redskins offensive rookie to earn a selection since Larry Brown in 1969.

Griffin III is the first member of the Redskins to be named Pro Football Weekly/PFWA Offensive Rookie of the Year since Mike Thomas received the honor in 1975.

Pro Football Weekly's annual awards are all selected by PFW editors and contributors along with members of the Professional Football Writers of America.

In addition, Griffin III and running back Alfred Morris were named to the PFW/PFWA 2012 NFL All-Rookie Team, becoming the franchise's 30th and 31st members on the list.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-ev...6-2ec40b35313b?campaign=was:fanshare:facebook

Hopefully he isn't broken. :(

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
As far as Mannings playoff record, it is what it is. John Elway is 2-3 in the Superbowl, but that doesn't hurt his legacy. So that playoff record doesn't hurt Manning's in my mind.

I don't think people seriously put Elway as their top all time QB though like people do with Brady, Manning, or Montana. So when you're talking about "greatest ever", your playoff records and such do become more important.

I often think Peyton Manning is the greatest of all time for doing the whole player-coach thing. It's not an easy argument to make however. I even have trouble putting him above Montana so I can understand why people would say Montana is the greatest.

TheFatOne

Peyton has:

More probowls
More MVPs
102 More TDs
~15,000 More Yards
1.5% better career passing pct
More career wins
Not involved in any scandals

As far as Mannings playoff record, it is what it is. John Elway is 2-3 in the Superbowl, but that doesn't hurt his legacy. So that playoff record doesn't hurt Manning's in my mind.

Like I said with Cassel, when Painter was slid into place it didn't go so well. To me it shows that Manning is considerably more important to his team than Brady was at the time. I'm not going to go full retard and say that Brady is a system QB, but he has certainly benefited from better coaching, defenses, and players around him than Peyton has.

You can't state all of Manning stats and then just wave off his playoff record as it is what it is. Part of a QB's legacy is how they perform in the playoffs. If Brady makes it to another super bowl this year I don't want to hear the excuse about Manning not having good defenses. Brady would have taken one of the worst defenses in the NFL to the super bowl twice. You may not put an emphasis on his playoffs performance, but his record is inexcusable. Especially what he has done as the one seed. Although I will concede that Brady has had the far superior coaching his entire career. 2-3 in the super bowl is one thing. At least you made it to the big game. Manning has been one and done now 8 times. You can't just wave that off.

Tom Penny

Godslay

Banned
Manning apologists are funny. He never had good coaches or players yet magically won enough games to make the playoffs, get bye weeks etc....Then he wets himself in the playoffs but it doesn't matter. Gotcha. His first SB run winning run was as fantastic as Brady's 1st. 3 TD's and 7 INT's..but he never had good defenses !!!!

The teams that Brady won with have always been better in terms of coaching staff, complimentary football, and in general players. That's the thing, on one hand a guy is propping up his team, and on the other a guy is being propped up because of the franchise as a whole. I'm not apologizing at all for Manning, and if you look closely it's even a compliment to the Pats as a whole. Manning is the better QB, and Brady is a great QB because he is plays for a franchise that builds their success with him. It's a subtle difference.

Godslay

Banned
I don't think people seriously put Elway as their top all time QB though like people do with Brady, Manning, or Montana. So when you're talking about "greatest ever", your playoff records and such do become more important.

I often think Peyton Manning is the greatest of all time for doing the whole player-coach thing. It's not an easy argument to make however. I even have trouble putting him above Montana so I can understand why people would say Montana is the greatest.

You can't state all of Manning stats and then just wave off his playoff record as it is what it is. Part of a QB's legacy is how they perform in the playoffs. If Brady makes it to another super bowl this year I don't want to hear the excuse about Manning not having good defenses. Brady would have taken one of the worst defenses in the NFL to the super bowl twice. You may not put an emphasis on his playoffs performance, but his record is inexcusable. Especially what he has done as the one seed. Although I will concede that Brady has had the far superior coaching his entire career. 2-3 in the super bowl is one thing. At least you made it to the big game. Manning has been one and done now 8 times. You can't just wave that off.

QBs are ultimately judged on stats, and Superbowl wins. What is John Elway's complete playoff record? Hell if I know! I know he's 2-3 in Superbowls, and carried his team. To be entirely honest, I don't even know Brady's playoff record right now. I know he's 3-2 in Superbowls, Manning is 1-1, etc, etc. I know that these statements fit my argument, but outside of ESPN jerking off over playoff victories/losses, I have never in a conversation heard one mention playoff win/loss records outside of SBs. I think you guys are blowing it up much more than it will be down the line. You know in your heart of hearts that when it's all said and done, that will not be Manning's legacy.

Spinluck

As shit as Pats D can be at times. They usually aren't on the field long.
They have been like top 3 in turn overs for what? Like 3yrs now? Defense is also still ranked by yardage which I think is terrible, so usually ppg isn't taken into account.

I'm probably one of Manning's biggest fans, and used to be against the notion that the post season was a huge determining factor in a QBs legacy. But I've grow out of the ignorance, and come to accept that that's the way it's been since the beginning. Although I do not think it's all that matters when critiquing a QBs legacy.

Anyway, some of the games we lost, were definitely on him without a doubt. But even when he played shitty or well, and gave us a shot to win or tie. Some shit would happen. Like. Vanderchoke and Harper against the Steelers 05. Or how Edge would disappear in the PO's, or Harrison would get butter fingers. A QB needs his team to rally behind him to make a clutch effort, and we didn't most of the time. We were a bunch of chokers, including PeyPey.

That 9-11 does not tell the whole story, even if it does stain his legacy. The AFC Championship in 07 definitely showed he had some clutch in him, so did the AFC Championship in 10. It's just not consistent enough.

I still consider him top 5, fuck the haters.

Spinluck

Nope.
I just finished seven day work week and this fucker called in on what would have been their first day back.
Second week in a row he's done this.
I have had zero sleep since 4 pm on Monday.

Jesus, what a dick.

You say no, but it sounds like something only a Pats fan would do. Are you sure you don't work with Gator and are totally unaware of it?

TheFatOne

As shit as Pats D can be at times. They usually aren't on the field long.
They have been like top 3 in turn overs for what? Like 3yrs now? Defense is also still ranked by yardage which I think is terrible, so usually ppg isn't taken into account.

I'm probably one of Manning's biggest fans, and used to be against the notion that the post season was a huge determining factor in a QBs legacy. But I've grow out of the ignorance, and come to accept that that's the way it's been since the beginning. Although I do not think it's all that matters when critiquing a QBs legacy.

Anyway, some of the games we lost, were definitely on him without a doubt. But even when he played shitty or well, and gave us a shot to win or tie. Some shit would happen. Like. Vanderchoke and Harper against the Steelers 05. Or how Edge would disappear in the PO's, or Harrison would get butter fingers. A QB needs his team to rally behind him to make a clutch effort, and we didn't most of the time. We were a bunch of chokers, including PeyPey.

That 9-11 does not tell the whole story, even if it does stain his legacy. The AFC Championship in 07 definitely showed he had some clutch in him, so did the AFC Championship in 10. It's just not consistent enough.

I still consider him top 5, fuck the haters.
Both ppg, and turnovers are a function of the Pats offense. Teams make stupid mistakes because they know the Pats offense is elite. Don't be fooled by looking at ppg, and turnovers Pats defense was horrific last year, and most of this year. With Talib they have gone from horrific to just bad.

MechDX

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli

WR DeVier Posey tore his left Achilles tendon. He'll be out most, if not all, of next season with that. #Texans

Here Houston have another kick in the nuts.

Thank tebow I have handsome Tom to fall back on.

Godslay

Banned
Both ppg, and turnovers are a function of the Pats offense. Teams make stupid mistakes because they know the Pats offense is elite. Don't be fooled by looking at ppg, and turnovers Pats defense was horrific last year, and most of this year. With Talib they have gone from horrific to just bad.

One could argue that all 5 Pats SB teams had Superbowl caliber defenses. Good enough to get them to the last two times anyways.

As expected and reported way earlier, NY Giants executive Marc Ross pulls his name out of contention for the Jets GM job.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/15/marc-ross-withdraws-from-jets-g-m-contention/

The list of candidates for the New York Jets general manager job has apparently shrunk by one.

According to Brian Costello of the New York Post, New York Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross has pulled his name out of contention for the job.

Ross reportedly interviewed for the job last week before deciding he didn’t want to pursue the job further. Ross was one of nine candidates to have been linked to the job.

cajunator

Banned
Im sure i could do his job, I'll step in.

edit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zce-QT7MGSE

lolz

I dunno.
Its dispatching trucks.
Do you get migraines easily?

Jesus, what a dick.

You say no, but it sounds like something only a Pats fan would do. Are you sure you don't work with Gator and are totally unaware of it?

Possibly.
He has had more days off work than anyone in my ten years of being here.
I think they are scared to fire him.
He has been nothing but a headache for four years now.

RBH

sf-cover-1-21-13.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis hang out on Facetime to watch Seahawks/Falcons game:

SANTA CLARA -- While the Atlanta Falcons' pulled out Sunday's win and advanced to face the 49ers for the NFC Championship, 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis watched the dramatic ending with Baltimore Ravens' Ray Lewis through their phones' FaceTime application.

"I was on my way home, he FaceTimed me and we watching the end and how crazy it was," Willis said on 95.7 The Game.

If the 49ers and Baltimore Ravens win their respective conference finals Sunday, Willis and Lewis will be able to see each other in person in New Orleans at Super Bowl XLVII. They'll be the guys wearing No. 52.

Top Bottom