• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

jmdajr

So I heard Aaron Rodgers is not making the bro bowl. He didn't pass his physical.

Anyone believe this?

Hell Schaub basically has polio and he's going.

mr2xxx

Banned
And why are you dismissive of a guy because he coached in Canada?

He shouldn't be In charge. It be a fine move if they made him an offensive coordinator with an experienced defensive head coach. But the dude has had multiple shots in the NFL and never panned out. He went into Canada and succeeded and the Bears are assuming its because he got better as a coach instead of being careful and considering the fact that the competition is weaker was a major part.

Mrbob

Yeah, Cutler should play out his contract this year. No reason to sign him long term. Especially when the team can franchise tag him if need be.

I'm hopeful Trestman can be the one to get the best out of Cutler.

Lawl at Texans age wanting Cutler. I will never let you guys forget it! The Bears/Texans bond grows stronger every day.

I'm bored at work; no one here, and definitely don't want to do actual work. Where can I go kill time on the internet other than GAF? No streaming allowed here.

eznark

Banned
I'm hopeful Trestman can be the one to get the best out of Cutler.

isRItlq7OMAOj.png

eznark

Banned
And why are you dismissive of a guy because he coached in Canada?

I'm dismissive of him because in the place he had the most influence, Denver with Plummer, he essentially set the kid back three years. I'm dismissive of him because in 20 years in the NFL he never once got a promotion. I'm dismissive of him because he was banished to a joke pseudo-pro league for almost a decade.

Mrbob

Are you dismissive of him because in 1995 and 1996 he had the 1st and 3rd ranked offense in the NFL as OC in San Francisco?

Capers better retire now. The days of feasting on the Bears offense is over. Those were the only two games in the past where that defense built up their stats for the whole season.

One more interesting Nugget from TMQ:

TMQ said:
The Flying Elvii's defense gave up a lot of yards and points -- Houston has a much better defense, right? That's conventional wisdom. Actually New England and Houston both surrendered 331 points during the regular season, and in this postseason matchup, it was the Moo Cows' defense that was torched.

Vio-Lence

Banned
He shouldn't be In charge. It be a fine move if they made him an offensive coordinator with an experienced defensive head coach. But the dude has had multiple shots in the NFL and never panned out. He went into Canada and succeeded and the Bears are assuming its because he got better as a coach instead of being careful and considering the fact that the competition is weaker was a major part.

So you're saying the Bears should have stuck the definition of mediocrity Life Support Lovie Smith? If you want to go 8-8 or 9-7 and just miss out on the playoffs year after year, Lovie is your guy. 5 seasons out of the past 6 with no playoff appearances isn't good enough. 2005, 2006, and 2010 were his only years in the playoffs in 9 seasons. That doesn't cut it imo. I hate the false national narrative that Lovie was a good head coach.

Ever watch a Bears game? Name one other team in the NFL that routinely blows through all their timeouts early in halves because they can't get their play calls in. The team hasn't been enjoyable to watch game in and game out in years. Shit was downright ugly.

I'm dismissive of him because he was banished to a joke pseudo-pro league for almost a decade.

5 years = decade. Wisconsin public education folks.

eznark

Banned
Are you dismissive of him because in 1995 and 1996 he had the 1st and 3rd ranked offense in the NFL as OC in San Francisco?

Capers better retire now. The days of feasting on the Bears offense is over. Those were the only two games in the past where that defense built up their stats for the whole season.

28 ppg with Jerry Rice and Steve Young. In 1994 that same team scored 31.6 ppg.

He took a team that was scoring 32 points per game and turned them into a team that was scoring 24 ppg when he left. No wonder he got run out of town.

Trestman ruins teams.

mr2xxx

Banned

Hard to fuck up when you have an experienced HoF QB already, he has Cutler now.

Mrbob

28 ppg with Jerry Rice and Steve Young. In 1994 that same team scored 31.6 ppg.

Trestman ruins teams.

51WPk5cB66L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Marshall is already reading it!

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...hall-throws-support-behind-marc-trestman.html

Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall was a vocal supporter of Lovie Smith, but he is excited about the team’s future under Trestman.
“I absolutely love the hire,” Marshall told the Sun-Times, “and the few guys I’ve talked to love it too.

“Hearing from guys who have played for him and been around him, he’s a guy that’s innovative.”

Marshall said he’s already started reading Trestman’s book, “Perseverance: Life Lessons of Leadership and Teamwork.”

Vio-Lence

Banned
I think all of the Bears HC candidates have potential risks and questions associated with them.

I'm not sure Arians, Bevell, or McCoy would be any better to be honest. You could pick apart all of their resumes for one reason or another.

mr2xxx

Banned
So you're saying the Bears should have stuck the definition of mediocrity Life Support Lovie Smith? If you want to go 8-8 or 9-7 and just miss out on the playoffs year after year, Lovie is your guy. 5 seasons out of the past 6 with no playoff appearances isn't good enough. 2005, 2006, and 2010 were his only years in the playoffs in 9 seasons. That doesn't cut it imo. I hate the false national narrative that Lovie was a good head coach.
I said experienced defensive head coach, Lovie isn't the only option here. You put a guy who never could succeed in the NFL as a coordinator and make him a head coach, don't expect he magically turns out to be a great head coach is all I'm saying

eznark

Banned
I think all of the Bears HC candidates have potential risks and questions associated with them.

I'm not sure Arians, Bevell, or McCoy would be any better to be honest. You could pick apart all of their resumes for one reason or another.

And I would have. Except Bevell. That one would have cut deep. First you dicks stole Svuem, Bevell would have been too much.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Dan Pompei reporting
Joe DeCamillis is named as the Bears assistant head coach and special teams coordinator. DeCamillis was the Cowboys special teams coordinator. He also interviewed for the Bears HC position.

Mrbob

I bet the Bears retain most, if not all, of the defensive staff. The players want these guys to stay.

Huh, so Trestman basically had no say in his assistant head coach/ST coach? That seems weird.

These two guys worked together in the past. Stop reaching.

Edit: Maybe it was Emery instead. I don't see the problem. Trestman ultimately approves or denies assistant coaches.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Huh, so Trestman basically had no say in his assistant head coach/ST coach? That seems weird.

No idea, I guess we will find out at the news conference tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. The Score670 just had Florio on and they were making it seem like this was a done deal since last Friday when the news first leaked from Jimmy Johnson.

I bet the Bears retain most, if not all, of the defensive staff. The players want these guys to stay.

Ya I expect Hotrod Marinelli to stay. Hopefully the Bears can land stud Georgia LB Ogletree in the first round to replace Urlacher.

eznark

Banned

These two guys worked together in the past. Stop reaching.

Hey, enjoy your obviously neutered CFL coach who destroyed the 49ers dynasty. At least he did one thing right!

ari

Banned
No idea, I guess we will find out at the news conference tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. The Score670 just had Florio on and they were making it seem like this was a done deal since last Friday when the news first leaked from Jimmy Johnson.
Yep, i guess they tried to bait bevell.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I have more confidence in Emery's choice. It seems like he hired the person he wanted to. He's not striking out badly like the Eagles, who keep getting rejected by the guys they interviewed, i.e. college coaches using them to get raises.

eznark

Banned
http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/081797/1c1rice_.html

Jacksonville.com: Rice happy Trestman, style gone 8/16/97

The words came at a news conference in January announcing a new head coach of the San Francisco 49ers. A reporter asked owner Eddie DeBartolo about Marc Trestman.

''He's gone,'' DeBartolo replied.

And somewhere, Jerry Rice smiled. Real, real big.

Because if there was anything Rice - the NFL's best wide receiver ever - wanted to hear this past off-season, it was that Trestman - Rice's least favorite offensive coordinator ever - was to be out of a job.

And now, as Rice enters a 13th NFL season, he says he feels more optimistic now than in a long while, particularly than the end of last year.

The absence of Trestman is the reason.

Not that Rice, who holds every major receiving record in NFL history, hated Trestman. It's just he hated the things Trestman made him do:

Run 2-yard crossing routes.

Take a physical beating.

And eventually, even consider retirement.

''That was a nightmare for me,'' said Rice, who caught 108 passes last season, but for ''only'' eight touchdowns and 1,254 yards, an 11.6-yards-per-reception average, 4 yards below his career average.

Those feelings went away withTrestman, and the hiring of new head coach Steve Mariucci, who replaced George Seifert.

''I caught a lot of balls, but it was not a fun year for me,'' said Rice, the NFL's all-time leader in touchdowns, yards receiving and career receptions, who is expected to play extensively in the first half tomorrow night when the Jaguars play the 49ers at 3Com Park in San Francisco in a preseason game. ''I had some doubts in my mind. I was saying, 'Jerry, you've been here for a long time. Maybe it's time to leave, move on.' ''

The main problem was how Trestman used Rice, as a possession receiver, an inexplicable tactic for one of the NFL's top deep threats. Trestman's explanation was the 49ers' running game was suspect, and he needed Rice for first downs in what had become a possession offense.

The strategy worked enough to get the 49ers to the playoffs, but the result was an unhappy Rice, who was so weary by season's end that in one critical goal-line situation against Carolina, he had to leave the field. Quarterback Steve Young threw into triple coverage to rookie Terrell Owens, and the pass was intercepted, killing any chance of a comeback.

In six of the last nine games, Rice averaged under 10 yards a catch. His three 100-yard games and eight touchdowns both were the lowest totals since his rookie year, and, for the first time in his career, he didn't have a catch as long as 40 yards.

''I'm used to stretching downfield, making the big plays,'' Rice said. ''After you get the defense off you, you've got the underneath routes, and that's something we didn't do. I took a lot of blows, and I took a beating.

''I was very depressed, because we didn't really attack people. We didn't run that 49er offense. Not saying anything against Marc Trestman, but it was not enjoyable.''

Marriuci said this won't be a problem. In Mariucci's offense, instead of lining up strictly as a flanker, Rice will be moved around to different spots, especially in three- and four-wideout sets, so defenses can't key on him so easily. The 49ers also will throw to him downfield more often.

''Those two things ought to make Jerry Rice's production greater,'' Mariucci said. ''When he catches the ball, most of them should be for a first down. Probably 90 percent of them will be.''

Last year, 66.7 percent of his catches earned first downs. Many receivers in the league had much higher ratios, such as Baltimore's Derrick Alexander (80.6) and Michael Jackson (76.3), Minnesota's Jake Reed (77.8), Philadelphia's Irving Fryar (75.0) and St. Louis' Isaac Bruce (71.4).

''That's just being smart with him,'' Mariucci said. ''When you catch the ball [short], there's four or five linebackers who can make that play. But if you catch the ball [farther downfield], there's fewer people who can make that play. If he breaks one tackle, maybe he scores. We have to be conscious of where he's catching the ball.''

Johnathan Joseph thinks the Texans are better than the Patriots:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...inks-the-texans-are-better-than-the-patriots/

Joseph told CSNHouston.com that he still believes that the Texans are better than the Patriots, regardless of the Patriots beating the Texans 42-14 in December and 41-28 in January.

“Obviously we had the right guys in here to win 13 ballgames to get up to that point,” Joseph said. “For whatever reason, we didn’t advance. I still can’t put that over because I think we were a better team. I think we just didn’t make the plays at the right time.”

Asked if the combined 83-42 score of the two Patriots-Texans game indicates that the Patriots are significantly better than the Texans, Joseph said he doesn’t view it that way.

“Not at all,” Joseph said. “Just four or five plays. You take a few of those plays that they made and go the other way, it’s a different ballgame.”

I'll save any comments cause I'm still trying to work out the logic...

TheFatOne

So GAF are there any good football books that explain the x's and o's of football? I have been trying to understand the Pats offense, but my lack of football knowledged is holding me back. I need some books that explain schemes on offense and defense.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So GAF are there any good football books that explain the x's and o's of football? I have been trying to understand the Pats offense, but my lack of football knowledged is holding me back. I need some books that explain schemes on offense and defense.

fv will answer all your questions with that faq he's working on.

I have more confidence in Emery's choice. It seems like he hired the person he wanted to. He's not striking out badly like the Eagles, who keep getting rejected by the guys they interviewed, i.e. college coaches using them to get raises.

He's only not striking out with the big time college coaches cause they didnt interview those guys. OBrien and the ND coach where never going to leave and only wanted raises, and Chip has now used 3 different teams to get raises. I am glad the Eagles are willing to aim high and at least try for those guys. You are making it sound like getting a CFL guy is somehow better then trying for the best.

Vio-Lence

Banned
He's only not striking out with the big time college coaches cause they didnt interview those guys. OBrien and the ND coach where never going to leave and only wanted raises, and Chip has now used 3 different teams to get raises. I am glad the Eagles are willing to aim high and at least try for those guys. You are making it sound like getting a CFL guy is somehow better then trying for the best.

See Nick Saban in miami. Even hiring the best college coach does not guarantee NFL success. I'm not saying Trestman will be great, but he's as much of a crapshoot in the NFL as any college coach imo.

Also see recent failure Bobby Petrino.

See Nick Saban in miami. Even hiring the best college coach does not guarantee NFL success. I'm not saying Trestman will be great, but he's as much of a crapshoot in the NFL as any college coach imo.

Also see recent failure Bobby Petrino.

Of course. I said all along I didnt want a college coach. I was just you saying the Bears search is some how better then the Eagles which I dont agree with at all.

Top Bottom