• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

Well, at least there's a tiny bit of solace in the fact that Foles was drafted after Willy.

Yeah just sucks that they took a QB in the same round that such a great QB went. OH well nothing to do about it now.

So Mort and Chip have the same agent and people are saying thats where he got the info. Man I would have much rather had Gus.

verbum

Now I'm more interested to know how hard the ban hammer is coming down on Oregon from the NCAA.

Was it as bad at Oregon as it was at Ohio State? Free tennis shoes, free cars, or free sex ?
I can't see the NCAA doing less to Oregon than to a long time national power like Ohio State.

eznark

Banned
Someone do me a favor and go back in the old thread to the day that Kelly announced he was going to stay at Oregon. I want to laugh at the Eagles fans who have been spinning.

Browns :jnc
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php

Subitai

I think about this nonstop every single day. :(
Missing out on Wilson for Foles is the worst miss the Eagles have ever had in the draft. Foles will be out of the league in a few years and Wilson will be a superstar.
Well if you think about it, Wilson probably would have saved Reid's job, so you couldn't have him running Kelly's offense. I can appreciate it though, Philly fans probably would have not taken it well if Wilson was taken in the second round.

In any case, I can't see how Cowboy fans can feel good about the future.

Someone do me a favor and go back in the old thread to the day that Kelly announced he was going to stay at Oregon. I want to laugh at the Eagles fans who have been spinning.

Who was spinning? I dont remember any Eagles fans wanting Chip. I dont want him but if he is the coach I will totally support him and hope that he does well.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I think about this nonstop every single day. :(
Missing out on Wilson for Foles is the worst miss the Eagles have ever had in the draft. Foles will be out of the league in a few years and Wilson will be a superstar.
You guys did end up trading up one spot before the Giants to take Brandon Graham when the Giants took JPP. That was a good one too.

Talon

Everyone here and in the media is going to talk about Chip's college scheme, but he's not going to try to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Beyond the scheme, football folks have been raving about the way he runs his practices. Dungy said that Chip Kelly ran the tightest, fastest practices he's seen at either level of the game.

Now, I think it's worth noting that the length of practice (and OTAs, training camp) is not as extensive as we like to believe (or the NFL likes to say), so I don't think his guys are going to be better conditioned than everyone else in the league like they were up at Oregon.

eznark

Banned
Everyone here and in the media is going to talk about Chip's college scheme, but he's not going to try to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Beyond the scheme, football folks have been raving about the way he runs his practices. Dungy said that Chip Kelly ran the tightest, fastest practices he's seen at either level of the game.

Now, I think it's worth noting that the length of practice (and OTAs, training camp) is not as extensive as we like to believe (or the NFL likes to say), so I don't think his guys are going to be better conditioned than everyone else in the league like they were up at Oregon.

Remember when Dungy said Joe Webb gave the Vikings a better chance to win than Ponder?

Credibility killer for me. Guy is too close to this stuff, can't separate personal from professional.

You guys did end up trading up one spot before the Giants to take Brandon Graham when the Giants took JPP. That was a good one too.

That one doesn't bother me at all. We will see how both guys turn out but I am not sold on JPP being better at all yet, plus the Eagle like smaller quicker DE's while the Giants go for the bigger DE's.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Yeah a lot of coaches are pretty upset about the way practices and such are mandated now. It sounded like Mike McCarthy put a lot of blame for the Packers doing poorly on issues with practice.

Talon

Remember when Dungy said Joe Webb gave the Vikings a better chance to win than Ponder?

Credibility killer for me. Guy is too close to this stuff, can't separate personal from professional.
Well, Dungy isn't the only one to have said it. Gruden has said that. Urban's said that.

Enough qualified, known people have praised Oregon on its practices that Chip is doing something right.

Now, I know Philbin was doing something similar by focusing on rep volume.

eznark

Banned
Yeah a lot of coaches are pretty upset about the way practices and such are mandated now. It sounded like Mike McCarthy put a lot of blame for the Packers doing poorly on issues with practice.

Shameful. Everyone had the same restrictions. Clown.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ohh this is nice. LJ once gave me a link to the Pats playbook from a few years back, and I have been trying to understand that. Pats offense is no joke now. Really complicated system.
Wait until you look at the defense.

I was just reading an article that was lamenting the loss of otas. Basically, players are in charge of their own conditioning.

Hey guys what's been going on since I've been gone? Did the Redskins make it to the Super Bowl yet?
Welcome back!

Tony Bruno on 97.5 said that the Eagles were set to make Gus an offer yesterday when Chip contacted them saying he had changed his mind. Hopefully that means he didnt get the power he wanted.

Talon

Right. I think the league wants fans to believe that NFL teams are in for 10 hours every single day working their asses off. Even on playoff weeks, only Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are mandatory, and the practices aren't that long. Sure, guys will voluntarily come in on Monday and Tuesday to watch tape and lift, but the coaches are probably spending two-three as much time as the player spend prepping for a game.

Eznark, you should be happy. Wisconsin might actually win a Rose Bowl sometime soon!

I agree Ez. I am very worried about this move. Here is the official press release:

NOVACARE COMPLEX - Chip Kelly, known for possessing strong leadership skills and one of the most innovative minds in football today, will be the new head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles - the 21st head coach in the franchise’s history.

Kelly - with his fast-paced offense and aggressive play calling – has been the head coach at the University of Oregon. He met with Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie, team president Don Smolenski and general manager Howie Roseman early in the head coach search in Arizona after the Fiesta Bowl for almost nine hours with both sides engaging in a wide ranging, enthusiastic discussion of everything from football philosophy to management and organizational values and ideas. The conversations continued until Kelly decided he wanted to remain at the University of Oregon.

Still, Kelly continued to evaluate the opportunity to work for the Eagles in the NFL.

“Chip Kelly will be an outstanding head coach for the Eagles,” said Lurie. “He has a brilliant football mind. He motivates his team with his actions as well as his words. He will be a great leader for us and will bring a fresh energetic approach to our team.”

This will be Kelly’s first head coaching job in the NFL.

The 49-year-old Kelly has been with the University of Oregon since 2007, including the last four years as head coach. Kelly compiled an astounding 46-7 (.868) record as head coach of the Ducks as he solidified that program as one of college football’s elite. He also worked as the team’s offensive coordinator from 2007-08.

Before joining the University of Oregon, Kelly was the offensive coordinator for the University of New Hampshire, his alma mater, from 1999-2006. He was that school’s offensive line coach from 1997 to 1998 and its running backs coach from 1994-96.

Over the years, Kelly has developed an aggressive offensive strategy and system. Kelly is one of the most progressive thinkers in football today. A strong leader and an innovative football mind was at the top of Lurie’s list when he outlined the characteristics he was seeking in a coach when he launched the search.

Under Kelly in 2012, Oregon averaged nearly 50 points per game (49.6) and his four-year scoring average with the Ducks was a whopping 44.7 points per contest.

His first coaching job was with Columbia University where he was the outside linebackers coach and the strong safeties coach in 1991. In 1993, he was the defensive coordinator at Johns Hopkins University.

Kelly graduated from New Hampshire with a BS in Physical Education in 1990.

The Eagles will introduce the new head coach to its fans as soon as arrangements can be made.

yankeehater said:
We will see how both guys turn out but I am not sold on JPP being better at all yet
:jnc Adorable. Both three years in the league. One can't stay on the field and has barely had an impact. The other had 4 sacks in his last three games his rookie year playing spot duty, a near DPOY type of season and despite not putting up huge sack numbers this season proved a consistent disruption in the backfield and is one of the best run defense DE's in the league.

Yeah, let's wait to see how they turn out though...

Just got home and saw the info and honesty every can say :jnc browns if they want but I dot give a fuck. I'm happy with the guy we got in Chud. And I think it's kinda obviously chips heart wasn't all the way in the NFL, he'll probably pull a petrino. Congrats eagles fans, I'm not bitter at all really. But if I ever see Chip I will fight him for wasting our time. I think the Browns were really just interested in read option thats why we went after Chip, but Chud can do the same things.

Chud Chud Chud, you can tell by my avatar I'm a Chud guy now.
Ok I'm done
Edit: I'm still not bitter, but at the same time i hope he crashes and burns.....

Talon

Chip hasn't shown any Petrino-esque tendencies at all.

I just wonder how he left Oregon. If he pulled a Fatty Hoke and just sent a text message, I will turn on him!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Right. I think the league wants fans to believe that NFL teams are in for 10 hours every single day working their asses off. Even on playoff weeks, only Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are mandatory, and the practices aren't that long. Sure, guys will voluntarily come in on Monday and Tuesday to watch tape and lift, but the coaches are probably spending two-three as much time as the player spend prepping for a game.

Eznark, you should be happy. Wisconsin might actually win a Rose Bowl sometime soon!

Not only are the practices not very long, they're often just walk-throughs and not full pad practices. A young team like Green Bay needs a lot of full contact. The lack of padded practices isn't going to help the tackling get any better for most teams.

Hopefully GB figures out a way to adjust to this since, like ez said, everyone has to deal with it.

Mrbob

Wow, there are twitter reports online Chip Kelly had been recruiting in homes as recently as two days ago. Wonder what sprung the change of heart once more?

Top Bottom