• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

eznark

Banned
Squicken, have you read your BFF Chris Brown's book? I bought it yesterday by accident and skimmed some of it, seems pretty good. He is a bit breezier than I would like since there are just a collection of essays but for like $5 or whatever it was its fine. I'm really looking forward to some of the papers on defensive innovation which is totally overlooked.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I'll take Gus I guess. What to do about Gabbert now..

Keep him and let him compete for the starting job, like Caldwell said. If there's an upgrade out there in free agency or the draft (unlikely) then go for it, otherwise accept that we'll probably have Gabbert starting next year and that the fix at QB is either for him to develop or another year down the line.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

jakncoke

Banned
Keep him and let him compete for the starting job, like Caldwell said. If there's an upgrade out there in free agency or the draft (unlikely) then go for it, otherwise accept that we'll probably have Gabbert starting next year and that the fix at QB is either for him to develop or another year down the line.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

On the bright side you'll have another top 5 draft pick next year :)

Wes

venison crêpe
Where's my fellow Browns fans at? What are your opinions on Raheem Morris as DC? I had heard Pagano, but I don't know if he's going to be let out of his contract.

Reading wiser heads than me seem to confusing. Some say our current personnel fit the style of D he plays but there are probably better coordinators out there.

Striker

Good thing about these post-giant rookie contracts is getting out of these early picks. Gabbert can compete for a job, be it against Henne, Tebow, or a new QB if they trade for one (Flynn, Vick, whomever).

Jake Locker is similar, although I don't think Hasselbald has much time left.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
On the bright side you'll have another top 5 draft pick next year :)

Maybe, maybe not. That's the way these things go. Even with things as bad as they were this year, the Jags were only a few plays away from being out of the top 5 draft picks. If they get lucky breaks rather than unlucky ones, they could easily be 7-9 next year without any actual improvement.

Would be typical to miss out on the best top draft picks by doing better than the team deserves. :p

jakncoke

Banned
This isn't about sex.

right..

So I guess you've got your MLB 13: The Show Cover Athlete Andrew McCutchen voodoo doll ready?

The only thing that can get Andrew McClutchen is 2nd halfs of seasons!

WTF dude? Why would you wish that on anyone and especially a guy like Johnny who seem like a genuinely nice guy.

Tim Tebow probably a nice guy too and I wished a train on him and that was before the playoff game

Edit; Before you bring up Andrew Luck, the fact that he looks like a caveman and speaks like a goony nerd is punishment enough

USA today has an article up about what Chip might do at QB. They think Dennis Dixon is a possibility. I thought he showed some flashes with the Steelers but they cut him with only Sandwhich and Batch as backups so he must have done something wrong. The 1 thing he has going is it would be easy to get him and he and Chip have worked together before.

"Vick could be the right guy. That's one of the guys. Another guy is on our team right now: No. 10 (Ravens practice squad quarterback Dennis Dixon, another former Duck). I'd be going after those guys."

Link

jakncoke

Banned
USA today has an article up about what Chip might do at QB. They think Dennis Dixon is a possibility. I thought he showed some flashes with the Steelers but they cut him with only Sandwhich and Batch as backups so he must have done something wrong. The 1 thing he has going is it would be easy to get him and he and Chip have worked together before.

Link

Really? Also if they make Dennis Dixon the starter that's clearly a collusion at trying to get Johnny Football

krzy123

I am really curious how he got to the position he is at. Hopefully this petty shit by him will blow up in his face.

Huge grain of salt, but la canfora use to work at the washington post, and was basically shitlisted at redskins park by Snyder. Anyways most fans ignored his stories because they were pretty much all wrong and he had no access. The story is that Snyder loves/wants to control the DC media so much that he recommended La Canfora to the NFL Network to get rid of him (sounds stupid to me).

eznark

Banned
Again, you guys are looking at it wrong. He needs a throw first guy. Like I said earlier, the threat of the run is just as good as an explosive runner as he just wants to control how a defense reacts. People act like he is going to come in and run a power veer.

Really? Also if they make Dennis Dixon the starter that's clearly a collusion at trying to get Johnny Football
He's mobile and he has a big arm, but you are right that I could definitely see the Eagles tank this year and try to get Johnny next year. Easpecially if they witch to a 3-4, it will take a few years to replace the guys on D with guys more suited to a 3-4.

Huge grain of salt, but la canfora use to work at the washington post, and was basically shitlisted at redskins park by Snyder. Anyways most fans ignored his stories because they were pretty much all wrong and he had no access. The story is that Snyder loves/wants to control the DC media so much that he recommended La Canfora to the NFL Network to get rid of him (sounds stupid to me).

Thanks for the info. I had no idea he used to cover the Skins.

jakncoke

Banned
He's mobile and he has a big arm, but you are right that I could definitely see the Eagles tank this year and try to get Johnny next year. Easpecially if they witch to a 3-4, it will take a few years to replace the guys on D with guys more suited to a 3-4.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea he used to cover the Skins.

I don't know, the few instances I seen him he looked really lost.

eznark

Banned
He's mobile and he has a big arm

At some point you're really overthinking it. Dixon wasn't a practice squad QB who couldn't beat out Favre (a la Kurt Warner) he was a practice squad QB who couldn't beat out Charlie Batch.

This is a Joe Webb, be careful what you wish for, scenario.

The Philadelphia Eagles' stunning hire of Oregon coach Chip Kelly raises a lot of questions. The natural first question: What changed over the last 10 days after Kelly decided to stay at Oregon?

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport helped fill in the details.

A team source told Rapoport that the Eagles learned at 10 a.m. ET Wednesday that they for sure had Kelly. The source said Eagles general manager Howie Roseman was the biggest factor in landing Kelly, playing the last 10 days "incredibly. ... No one was more prepared and aggressively pursued." Roseman's approach was similar to what a college coach would use to recruit a player: push, push, push, know when to pull away and give the person time to think.

The Eagles continued to sell Kelly on the people in their organization, even after he turned them down. They told Kelly he'd remain their top priority even as they interviewed other candidates. They previously sold to Kelly that they had two quarterbacks (Michael Vick and Nick Foles) who could run his system.

While it's an open question whether Vick or Foles fit what Kelly does, the Eagles' continued pursuit of Kelly clearly paid off.

Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News wrote that Roseman first heard Kelly could be persuaded on Jan. 8, when Roseman was in Nashville, Tenn., at a coaching convention to meet with Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly. After Brian Kelly said no, the Eagles again touched base with Chip Kelly, and things heated up in the last 24 to 36 hours.

If Chip Kelly didn't come aboard, Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley would have been the Eagles' pick, Rapoport reported. So we can put Bradley at the top of men unhappy to hear Kelly's news, right after Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

LOL at all the shots Kiffin has been taking since this hire was announced.

jakncoke

Banned
The Jaguars finished 2-14 in 2012, the worst record in franchise history, and lost eight games by 16 points or more. Not even Jacksonville's inaugural team in 1995 -- a group comprised of mostly rookies and street free agents -- was overmatched as often. Coach Tom Coughlin's rag-tag bunch finished 4-12 back then, losing four games by at least 16 points. The 4-12 record had been the worst in franchise history.

:me

Edit; Also wtf does a defensive quality control coach do?

squicken

Squicken, have you read your BFF Chris Brown's book? I bought it yesterday by accident and skimmed some of it, seems pretty good. He is a bit breezier than I would like since there are just a collection of essays but for like $5 or whatever it was its fine. I'm really looking forward to some of the papers on defensive innovation which is totally overlooked.

Isn't it just a collection of his website's best stuff? If I stare at play diagrams I fall asleep. I need photos and video and not whiteboards!

eznark

Banned
Isn't it just a collection of his website's best stuff? If I stare at play diagrams I fall asleep. I need photos and video and not whiteboards!

Probably, but it's like $5 so to have it in a nice collection of essay from in the Kindle app on an iPad it's worth it.

squicken

Super hype makes me wish bad things on those getting hyped.

That Alabama team that wrecked Notre Dame couldn't tackle him. Can't teach that. If he keeps get better at throwing he could be a candidate for one of these new fangled offense the kids like today. Assuming he doesn't get arrested

jakncoke

Banned
That Alabama team that wrecked Notre Dame couldn't tackle him. Can't teach that. If he keeps get better at throwing he could be a candidate for one of these new fangled offense the kids like today. Assuming he doesn't get arrested

Or maybe Notre Dame was just overrated trash and didnt belong in the NC to begin with!

jakncoke

Banned
Wishing an injury on a player? Good thing he's not a Patriot player or you would be blasted on here.

bitch-please-allready-did.jpg

eznark

Banned

So who the hell knows what actually happened. All we really know is that a bunch of people who are way too old to be getting into fistfights after college football games got into a fistfight after a college football game, and one of them used to be a shitty quarterback.

You write garbage like that and how can you really complain when people call you a shitty basement blog that apparently sometimes find a nut? It's obviously what they are going for.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Well, they eventually learned how to tackle him. After the first 3 or 4 touchdowns :lol

:p Browns have a huge fanbase. They've just been dormant since we've been garbage forever, Ravens should have been the true expansion team.

New coach, new hope, blah blah, whatever.

Anyway, I've also heard Mel Tucker on our short list too. Wasn't he already here and nothing to write home about?

Another Browns fan checking in! I had heard a rumor that there might be some on NFLgaf...good to see it's true. I grew up a little south of Sandusky and still a lifelong fan despite now living in DC.

I like the Chud and Norv hires. Out of the DC options I've read about, I like Tucker the best...not sure what to think of Raheem Morris. But no matter what happens I'll be keeping any optimism firmly in check and expectations low.

jakncoke

Banned
jakncoke grew up south of Sandusky too. It's why he is so angry all the time and can't stand human contact.

Im unsure what you're getting at here, but its probably a personal attack so I cant wait till Steelers fans impregnate your girls and wife!(then we'll be square for the super bowl)

bionic77

Im unsure what you're getting at here, but its probably a personal attack so I cant wait till Steelers fans impregnate your girls and wife!(then we'll be square for the super bowl)
Weird response.

Pretty sure that ez's wife is going to be strictly doing Bears fans once they get divorced. A ex-wife is always going to go for what will hurt the most.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Another Browns fan checking in! I had heard a rumor that there might be some on NFLgaf...good to see it's true. I grew up a little south of Sandusky and still a lifelong fan despite now living in DC.

I like the Chud and Norv hires. Out of the DC options I've read about, I like Tucker the best...not sure what to think of Raheem Morris. But no matter what happens I'll be keeping any optimism firmly in check and expectations low.

Welcome brother!

Next season is going to be so hot. Won't just be me, BG and Wes yelling trent truck. :)

bionic77

If we are divorced why would I give a shit?
Because she will get the kids and your beloved daughter and son will be surrounded by filthy Bears fans and might even grow up to be lifelongs.

The lesson to be learned here? Be nice to your wife. And buy her a Lexus and expensive purses every once in awhile.

Top Bottom