• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

So Superbowl era HoF QBs to never win a Superbowl are,
Warren Moon - Won 5 Grey Cups.
Jim Kelly - Won the AFC 4 straight years.
Y.A. Tittle - Won the NFC 3 straight years.
Fran Tarkenton - Won the NFC 3 out of 4 years.
Dan Marino
Dan Fouts
Sonny Jurgensen

Bledsoe isn't hanging with this crew.

Top ten passing yards of all time without ever having a marque receiver. Testaverde? Please.

If Dan Fouts is in there then the argument is over. Again, the caliber of quarterback is different now.

Dan Fouts is first QB to ever throw for 4k yards in back to back seasons. He was also the 3rd QB to have 40k career passing yards. First two were Tarkenton and Unitas. If Bledsoe joined the HoF only Elway would have a lower career completion %.

jakncoke

Banned
If only Arians had become the Bears coach.

Cutler tried really hard in 2009 with 26, You'd think with todays increased passing(or at least perceived) that someone would get within range.

Going from 1995 to now here in the top 5 most

Brent Farve 2005 29
Peyton Manning 1998 28
Jay Cutler 2009 26
Bobby Hebert 1996 25
Eli Manning 2010 25

Bowser

Well it works better off for Te-o now if he was in on it, cause at least he looks like he pulled a fast one on everyone.

Other scenario, makes look like a complete tool.

In no way does it work out better.

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
NFL exec. this morning, "We'll draft criminals, but lie to my face and you're off our board." Some don't believe Te'o's story.

It honestly works out better for him to have been duped, found out of the hoax before the MNC game so he's preoccupied with trying to figure out how to deal with the fallout, and having that affect his play in the title game.

jmdajr

In no way does it work out better.

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
NFL exec. this morning, "We'll draft criminals, but lie to my face and you're off our board." Some don't believe Te'o's story.

It honestly works out better for him to have been duped, found out of the hoax before the MNC game so he's preoccupied with trying to figure out how to deal with the fallout, and having that affect his play in the title game.

Got a point on that I suppose.

So he's fucked either way. That dude will never live it down if his career continues.

mr2xxx

Banned
Is there something I should know about in case we hire him? I hope we don't as I want Bevell but most of what I heard about Arians was positive.

He is probably the worst possible coach for your offense considering how he runs his offense. and your weaknesses.

Is there something I should know about in case we hire him? I hope we don't as I want Bevell but most of what I heard about Arians was positive.
He loves deep passes. A guy like Cutler would throw a ton of picks in that offense. I think he is a terrible fit with the cards. Need a good ol and a tough qb to run his offense.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Stevan Ridley on that next level ish..
64641_10151198315921006_218014986_n.png

Greg

my buddy used to average 4 picks in Madden with 5-minute quarters...

we all allow him to play on pro difficulty now

Sounds like Arians is a big favorite to end up in Arizona right now. Already some talk about who he's choosing as his OC/DC. Interview apparently went well.

Greg

Does he just chuck it deep with no regard?
yeah, he'd do all kinds of dumb shit which never made sense because he actually played the position

he loved scrambling and trying to make passes across the body, or he changed every receiver to a streak just to bomb it

jakncoke

Banned
Speaking of gay football players, I wish Netflix would get Playmakers. That show wasnt that good but I watched every episode of it.

Bowser

Sounds like Arians is a big favorite to end up in Arizona right now. Already some talk about who he's choosing as his OC/DC. Interview apparently went well.

Confirmed he'd call plays as well. If they don't upgrade that line, Arians style of play will get whoever's QBing back there killed.

So defenders become unreal and do unreal things in the secondary to pick off passes? /hasntplayedmaddensince2009version

Hold Y once ball is in the air and all DBs make a break towards the ball. Its stupid.

But you guys are forgetting the best part about Sanjuro's int stats. He has Tom Brady and Larry Fitzgerald.

Another Browns fan checking in! I had heard a rumor that there might be some on NFLgaf...good to see it's true. I grew up a little south of Sandusky and still a lifelong fan despite now living in DC.

I like the Chud and Norv hires. Out of the DC options I've read about, I like Tucker the best...not sure what to think of Raheem Morris. But no matter what happens I'll be keeping any optimism firmly in check and expectations low.
The rebellion is beginning.

jakncoke

Banned
Hold Y once ball is in the air and all DBs make a break towards the ball. Its stupid.

But you guys are forgetting the best part about Sanjuro's int stats. He has Tom Brady and Larry Fitzgerald.

wow EA, which intern came up with that idea ffs

Also jesus christ another alt browns account.

So defenders become unreal and do unreal things in the secondary to pick off passes? /hasntplayedmaddensince2009version

See, you just select the guy in coverage and hold Y, then he takes the proper angle and intercepts the ball 9 times out of 10 if he's anywhere in the neighborhood of the receiver.

This includes linebackers I might add, who seem to have better hands than the corners/safeties.

EDIT: Also, what Drizzler said.

Tieing into the discussion I was having earlier with Draxal, a member over at BBI (Optimus-NY ) put together a nice breaddown of the cap with a focus on the Giants decision making moving forward to and more for those interested (it's a lengthy read). Level headed and I agree with his views:

NOTES:
• The Cap estimates I've read so far are 120.6 and 120.9 million dollars.
• Remember that there is a salary cap minimum threshold of 89% of the cap to meet this year.
• This means that teams that are more than approximately $13.3 million beneath the cap have to spend the amount of money that they have free under the cap to reach that mandated floor number.
• According to the list above, there are 14 teams that are more than 13.3 million dollars under the cap.
• Those teams will be especially active this offseason in the free agency market to meet the minimum required salary cap floor number, which is between approximately $107.334 million and 107.601 million using the numbers listed above.
• Expect those clubs with money to spare, especially those at the top, such as Cincinnati, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Miami, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Buffalo, and Tennessee to be the most active in free agency approximately 2 months from now.
• Meeting the salary floor isn’t a problem for the Giants.
• They are going to have to cut and/or restructure some players’ contracts to get under the cap (according to this chart they are $4.7 million over the 2013 cap).

REMINDER ABOUT RESTRUCTURES WORK:
• You don’t restructure overpaid players.
• A restructure is when you take salary that a given player is due to earn, & then turn it into a guaranteed bonus.
• It's something you do with a core player who you expect to be around for 3 more years, or so (e.g., players who the Giants have done this with in the recent past are Eli Manning, Chris Snee, Corey Webster, and Antrel Rolle).
• It is significant to note that teams can only do it every 12 months with a given player, so if player X restructured his contract last year in June, then he can’t restructure his contract again until June of this year.
• I suspect that they’ll do it again with Rolle, Webster, or Snee. Chris Canty is also a likely candidate for a restructured contract since his cap hit will be $8.2 million.

WHAT TO DO WITH UNDERPERFORMING PLAYERS WHO AREN'T CANDIDATES TO HAVE THEIR CONTRACTS RESTRUCTURED?:
• Flat out cut the given player with the intention of not re-signing him. Depending on how much the Giants think David Diehl has left, he may become a victim of this.
• You can threaten to cut the player with the intention of re-signing him, and then use that leverage to get him to agree to a lower salary (this happened to Rocky Bernard and Brandon Jacobs 2 years ago; Jacobs refused to do it again last year, so the Giants cut him). Once again, David Diehl is a prime candidate for this, and so may be Ahmad Bradhsaw, but it probably won’t come down to that with him since his cap hit is not big compared to the low amount of cap space that the Giants have allocated with respect to the running back position overall.
• You’ll be forced to deal the reality of your decision and deal with the mistake that you made, and hope that his play improves. This is the most difficult situation to be in. The Jets are presently dealing with this with Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes.

WHAT TO POSSIBLY EXPECT GOING FORWARD:
• Michael Boley, David Baas, and Justin Tuck merit keeping an eye on this offseason with regard to their contract situations. Boley and Tuck are entering the final years of their deals. I suspect that Tuck will remain, but the same may not be the case with Boley. Baas has 3 more years left on his deal, so he may be a candidate for a re-structured contract.
• Giants Salary cap expert, Kevin Abrams, will have his hands full this offseason for sure.

WHAT TO LOOK FORWARD TO WITH RESPECT TO FREE AGENCY AS IT HAS TO DO WITH THE SALARY CAP :
• He’ll have to deal with pending 4 RFAs, most notably Victor Cruz & Stevie Brown, and then have to see if the Giants can sign anyone in UFA at the expense of someone currently on the roster, particularly the O-Line since there are 2 starters who will be free agents in March. Money will have to be carefully allocated there.
• The Giants will look to re-sign their own players who they project decent production for going forward. As always, the Giants set a price for these players. If they demand more than what the Giants think they’re worth, the Giants will cut bait with them (e.g, see Kevin Boss and Steve Smith).
• The Giants don’t go crazy money-wise in UFA, but will identify glaring areas of need, and then act quickly to fill these needs in come March if the price is right.
• They did so right away last year when they signed Marty B to play TE after the position was depleted with the injuries in the SB 46 to Ballard and Beckum.
• They did the same in going into 2010 with Rolle, Boley, & Bernard. In 2005, most famously, they signed Kareem McKenzie, A. Pierce, and Plexico to fill glaring needs on the roster at RT, MIKE, and WR respectively.
• Look for them to do so this year on the following positions: OL, LB, TE (re-sign Bennett here), and possibly CB.
• There will free agents who are likely to not be back (Kenny Phillips and Osi), for whatever the reason, and players who may be cut (Diehl or Boley).
• The Draft is easier to deal with because of the salary slotting system now in place brought about as a result of the 2011 CBA. There isn’t as much spent on draft picks as their used to be. Especially higher first round picks.
• Don’t look for the Giant to make a lot of moves, but instead target areas of need, and players who won’t break the structure of their salary cap going forward.
• As Jerry Reese himself said last year in an interview with Bob Pap and Ross Tucker on SiriusXM NFL Radio, the Giants don’t plan ahead by a single year. They do everything looking 2 or 3 years down the line. Keep that in mind this offseason as the Giants look to secure their younger core players going forward who will be coming off of their rookie deals (e.g., JPP, Cruz, Nicks, Linval Joseph).
• Tough decisions have to be made, and it is inevitable that teams will lose players—sometimes very good ones—but such is life in today’s NFL. The plus side, is that if a team sticks to a plan, and manages the cap carefully, they’ll be able to have both short-term and long-term success. Teams like the Giants, Steelers, and Packers are excellent examples of this, since they’ve won 4 of the last 6 Super Bowls.

Top Bottom