• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

Bowser

Ray Horton was officially released from his contract as DC in Arizona. Arians wants Bowles but he's yet to be released from his contract in Philly.

edit: Er Ian Rapaport says Horton isn't officially released, but has been given permission to talk with other teams and that his salary partially offsets if signed with another team.

Ray Horton was officially released from his contract as DC in Arizona. Arians wants Bowles but he's yet to be released from his contract in Philly.

The Cards seem like such a dysfunctional team. Bowles might turn out to be a good DC, it is hard to judge him on the Eagles D, but there is no doubt that they lost a really good DC in Horton. I just dont see how Arians is a good enough hire to lose a guy held in such high regard.

Bowser

Panthers reached out to recently fired Titans RB coach and longtime former Panthers RB coach Jim Skipper regarding our opening. Would love to see him back:

When Skipper was in Charlotte, the Panthers emphasized running the ball, and Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams each topped the 1,100-yard mark in 2009.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/18/panthers-reach-out-to-former-rb-coach-jim-skipper/

The Cards seem like such a dysfunctional team. Bowles might turn out to be a good DC, it is hard to judge him on the Eagles D, but there is no doubt that they lost a really good DC in Horton. I just dont see how Arians is a good enough hire to lose a guy held in such high regard.

not really that hard. the eagles fired juan castillo because the defense wasnt performing well and then they replaced him with bowles and the defense got worse

Dragon

Banned
ez is racist
fmt is a fecal freak
gata pretends to be a pats fan but totally is a jags fan
coldplay is a bengals, names his user account after shitty bands then steals users names on wii u
eba is a bears fan with a hdd full of glee gifs
dez15 is 12 and tries to act 30(also a browns fan)
bionic lost his sack to his wife
harson will complain about anything and everything
greg lies about his vert.
andres is a chocha
kave became a browns fan because of derek anderson
sanjuro and cuevas fight over #1 drinkers
the entire seahawks-age is whiny bitches and still cant handle the win is forever

Beginning breakdown of nfl-age backgrounds

Jakncoke says he graduated high school but types like a 13 year old emoji lover.

jakncoke

Banned
Panthers reached out to recently fired Titans RB coach and longtime former Panthers RB coach Jim Skipper regarding our opening. Would love to see him back:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/18/panthers-reach-out-to-former-rb-coach-jim-skipper/

Being over the cap, are Panthers going to continue to have 2 high paid rbs?

Jakncoke says he graduated high school but types like a 13 year old emoji lover.

He never claimed that and fuck you for calling things I have to look up on google!

not really that hard. the eagles fired juan castillo because the defense wasnt performing well and then they replaced him with bowles and the defense got worse

Oh the D definitely got much much worse under Todd, but maybe the problem was that they didnt have the kind of guys he needs to run his defense. Juan had spent 2 years learning the guys and their strengths/weaknesses. Todd also tried to run an aggressive blitzing defense with the Eagles, which was 100% doomed to fail. We will see how he does with the Cards but it is hard to think this is anything but a backwards move for them.

Cards are the worst franchise in the NFL.

i can't think of a franchise that even approaches them in that regard. they are a horribly run franchise who lucked out with kurt warner for a couple years and have now gone right back into being irrelevant.

i'm excited about next season because i guarantee they won't put 49ers vs. cards on MNF this year in arizona. i love going to the niners cards game in arizona because the stadium is so nice and partying the night before is just a good time (all the bars/hotel are within walking distance of the stadium). but i'm not doing that shit for MNF!

thank you cards. thank you for sucking dick so i can go see an additional niners game next season. now all i need is the sorry ass rams to move back to los angeles and i'll have the hat trick every year: game in san fran, game in az, game in LA!

eznark

Banned
Cards are the worst franchise in the NFL.

jolly-fool.jpg

Bowser

Being over the cap, are Panthers going to continue to have 2 high paid rbs?

Don't really have a choice. Cutting DeAngelo before June 1st would result in a $9.6m cap hit (remaining outstanding pro-rated signing bonus), after June 1st $4.8m (with another $4.8m the season after). Trades don't really work either, as I understand it, because it's the same as cutting someone - the remaining outstanding pro-rated bonus money accelerates onto the cap for that season.

J-Stew might be easier to trade, but would still result in some dead money accelerating on the cap and prob won't garner much of a return after he had such an injury-filled and inconsistent season right after signing a $36.5m deal (with $22.5m in guaranteed cash). His deal was structured to be more cap-friendly than Williams' deal though:

Stewart received a $9 million signing bonus, and there is a $9 million option bonus the Panthers can exercise in the spring of 2014, Dogra said. The deal was designed to minimize the impact on the team’s salary cap, according to Dogra.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...ers-sign-stewart-to-5-year.html#storylink=cpy

The Panthers are projected to be $11.8m over the cap after counting for salary carryover from this year. Cutting Haruki Nakamura (clear $1.8m off the cap), Ron Edwards ($2.5m), and, sadly, Chris Gamble (a whopping $7.9m, pretty much have to cut him) would clear up $12.2m which gets us under the cap. Restructure Gross ($11.7m cap figure), Beason ($9.5m figure), and DeAngelo ($8.2m cap figure) would give us room to sign our draft class and potentially a few lower-tier FAs.

eznark

Banned

Free agents refuse to come here, draft picks refuse to sign, coaches refuse to stay. Fans refuse to go, the city refuses to deal with the team, the county has sued him on multiple occasions, rampant nepotism.

This is a franchise that is fucking rotten. You don't even have to get to the product on the field. It's one of the worst franchises in sports. Had Brown not buttfucked Cincinnati a few years ago they would have been folded.

Going from Milwaukee and Boston, where the organizations are run brilliantly, to Cincinnati, is stunning.

effzee

Sure if you only look from far away.

Juan Castillo sucks. Todd Bowles didn't perform better. But both of them might have been hampered by the stupid ass wide 9 scheme and Jim Washburn who according to reports mocked other coaches, protected his guys (Babin) and opening walked around like he ran the defense. All of that under Andy's watch with no action to put an end to it. And when they finally did make a change it was to fire Juan because Andy thought he could salvage the defense somehow and his beloved wide 9 scheme.

Bowles came highly regarded from Miami. He might or might not be terrible but judging him on his short stint on the Eagles isn't fair. Still makes no sense to take him over Horton when Horton already is there and did a great job.

And all that reminds me again what a mess this team was this past season. Logical decision would have been to get rid of Washburn for his attitude and disruptive behavior and Juan for his lack of ability to be a defensive coach. Should have brought in Bowles to run the damn D from the start.

This has been the longest day of the longest week. Can we hurry up and get to Sunday so I can watch Flacco fully redeem himself with me?

And jackncoke, how could you leave me off your list? Poop, sadness, Flacco....I have given much to this thread.

jakncoke

Banned
This has been the longest day of the longest week. Can we hurry up and get to Sunday so I can watch Flacco fully redeem himself with me?

And jackncoke, how could you leave me off your list? Poop, sadness, Flacco....I have given much to this thread.

post more
i dont know. derp moment i suppose

KingGondo

Banned
The Browns have to keep their first pick, or maybe even move up now.

If they're switching to a hybrid 3-4, they need a home run. Thankfully this draft is deep when it comes to front 7 guys.

I'd be happy with Moore or Werner, personally. Both guys project well as OLBs/DEs.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The Browns have to keep their first pick, or maybe even move up now.

If they're switching to a hybrid 3-4, they need a home run. Thankfully this draft is deep when it comes to front 7 guys.

I'd be happy with Moore or Werner, personally. Both guys project well as OLBs/DEs.

Most mocks I've seen so far have us taking either of these guys (if Werner dropped that far) or just taking Dee Millner to shore up the secondary.

I'm fine with any of these picks to be honest. If I had to choose based on limited information I want Werner who I've only heard great things about.

TheFatOne

Looks like it's going to be cold, and windy for the Pats game. The winds don't sound too bad right now, but that is something to look for.

KingGondo

Banned
Most mocks I've seen so far have us taking either of these guys (if Werner dropped that far) or just taking Dee Millner to shore up the secondary.

I'm fine with any of these picks to be honest. If I had to choose based on limited information I want Werner who I've only heard great things about.
Plus he has an awesome name.

Free agents refuse to come here, draft picks refuse to sign, coaches refuse to stay. Fans refuse to go, the city refuses to deal with the team, the county has sued him on multiple occasions, rampant nepotism.

This is a franchise that is fucking rotten. You don't even have to get to the product on the field. It's one of the worst franchises in sports. Had Brown not buttfucked Cincinnati a few years ago they would have been folded.

Going from Milwaukee and Boston, where the organizations are run brilliantly, to Cincinnati, is stunning.

Here?

You live in Ohio now? Or did your wife finally convert you?

PFF unveiled a new signature stat they are calling pulse rate for running backs.

We have used yards per carry as a statistic for decades, breaking down a runner’s total yardage by his number of carries. Adrian Peterson ended the 2012 season rushing for an astonishing 6.0 yards per carry on his way to 2,097 — but what was he realistically averaging on normal runs?

We decided to take a look, and to try and weed out the breakaway runs that otherwise skew a player’s average. When we looked at all runs on the season, there was a leveling out point for the frequency of yardage gained. This figure stood at 10 yards. This means that most runs in the NFL gain 10 or fewer yards, and anything above that is a figure that potentially skews a runner’s average mark.

So instead of chasing a blunt average, we are going to look at a player’s rushing average using only runs of 10 or fewer yards, with anything that went longer than that given a capped value of 10 yards and still included in the average. This way his average isn’t dragged upwards by one run of 90 yards, but rather we get a more accurate view of what a runner is getting every down. In short, we get his Pulse Rate.

Take a look at the charts and more here for those interested:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/18/signature-stats-pulse-rate/

Same here. Hope somehow we end up with Werner, but I'll be happy if we can just draft intelligently.

cajunator

Banned
Bears got Aaron Kromer. He might have been a lousy interim coach but he was a great Oline coach. I have no idea how they will replace him really.

jakncoke

Banned
This reminds me that one game where AP was like 11-92 and had a 80 yard run and Viking fan or 2 came 3 times and I was like sure on the surface its great but underneath the 80 yard run he's just 10 for 12

I guess I get it but...why? Those runs happen. This is the statistical equivalent of "if we hadn't given up that one touchdown we would have won!" Yeah, no shit.
Yeah, I agree. I understand why it would be appealing on the surface to have a stat that works like that but if a RB is consistently explosive and he breaks off a lot more 10+ yard runs than other RB's what is that stat really telling us about him? Not to mention, a guy runs for 10 yards and we use it in the average but if he runs for 11 we better just toss it out! It just seems too arbitrary to be very useful.

eznark

Banned
This reminds me that one game where AP was like 11-92 and had a 80 yard run and Viking fan or 2 came 3 times and I was like sure on the surface its great but underneath the 80 yard run he's just 10 for 12

but.....the 80 yard run happened.

It's kind of weird. The topic du jour in the NFL the last 3-5 years has been "explosion" plays. The four or five plays a game that are long gains or dramatically flip the field position. Now PFF is discounting these to a pass completion?

It's an illogical way to look at football. It's abstracting the stat to the point of uselessness and taking the number completely out of the context of the game.

I guess I get it but...why? Those runs happen. This is the statistical equivalent of "if we hadn't given up that one touchdown we would have won!" Yeah, no shit.

And what about goalline runs? Should you just give him 10 yards on a 1 yard goalline run? Not like it could've been more successful. It's like wanting the NFL to keep track of defensive errors. Leave that horrible philosophy in Baseball please.

jakncoke

Banned
but.....the 80 yard run happened.

It's kind of weird. The topic du jour in the NFL the last 3-5 years has been "explosion" plays. The four or five plays a game that are long gains or dramatically flip the field position. Now PFF is discounting these to a pass completion?

It's an illogical way to look at football. It's abstracting the stat to the point of uselessness and taking the number completely out of the context of the game.

Yes, but on the other 10 runs he has a 1.something average. So is it truly a great day? or merely a shit day with 1 great run?

eznark

Banned
Yes, but on the other 10 runs he has a 1.something average. So is it truly a great day? or merely a shit day with 1 great run?

Why does it make a difference? What should we infer from this complete abstraction of the game?

FO has a similar stat but they created it for a purpose: Which back is the most successful at getting first downs.

In baseball SABR has done a great job at keeping the analysts focused. Everything revolves around runs and marginal improvements. Football metrics are getting to be abstracted bastardizations of meaningless data.

jakncoke

Banned
Also, Wouldnt you want your back to be more consistent? I mean 1 great run for td gives you 7 points but those 10 runs for 12 yards likely stalled 3 maybe 4 drives out unless you're qb bailed you out. Im not really sure what point I'm trying to get at. But I for one am i a little more impressed with a back get chunks of yards left and right during the game than breaking 1-2 long runs hiding a mediocre game stats.

Edit: Also this isnt a AP sucks argument, he's great. But during that game at that moment his game wasnt as epic as the Vikes fans were fapping too.

Adrian Peterson sucks, duh.

Future stat-padding for RB's: fall down after running 9 yards.

That article says how they count all 10+ runs as 10 yard runs. They don't throw it away.

Still stupid, though.

Also, Wouldnt you want your back to be more consistent? I mean 1 great run for td gives you 7 points but those 10 runs for 12 yards likely stalled 3 maybe 4 drives out unless you're qb bailed you out. Im not really sure what point I'm trying to get at. But I for one am i a little more impressed with a back get chunks of yards left and right during the game than breaking 1-2 long runs hiding a mediocre game stats.

Edit: Also this isnt a AP sucks argument, he's great. But during that game at that moment his game wasnt as epic as the Vikes fans were fapping too.

He did an entire TD drive the length of the field on 1 play. His stats should get a hefty padding for such an achievement, imo. And who cares if your running back averages 4+ yards a carry when your team scores no TDs? I'd say AP had a better game that day in comparison.

Top Bottom