• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

eznark said:
I guess I get it but...why? Those runs happen.
Sort of what I got out of it as well. I suppose it's attempting to measure consistency of a back outside of the "explosive" plays but it's very much in the abstract and not sure why it needs to be measured. Figured it would generate some conversation though...

LevelNth

Banned
Can't believe this is going to happen...but I side with ez on the new stat. I get the attempt to eliminate outliers, but it's essentially pointless. Is 10 runs of 10 yards each more impressive than 9 of 1 yard and 1 more of 91 yards?

Sure I guess, but who gives a shit.

Now excuse me while I go brush my teeth with pure baking soda and shower in my clothes.

squicken

Why does it make a difference? What should we infer from this complete abstraction of the game?

FO has a similar stat but they created it for a purpose: Which back is the most successful at getting first downs.

In baseball SABR has done a great job at keeping the analysts focused. Everything revolves around runs and marginal improvements. Football metrics are getting to be abstracted bastardizations of meaningless data.

Yeah this stat seems odd. It is essentially doing what success rate does. I'm more interested is their charting stuff. Dropped INTs. Time to pressure, sack, etc. They have that, but it's this binary more or less than 2.5s. Needs more granularity

Godslay

Banned
Who is Capt Yamato?

9ers fan. I only know this because I mistakenly put him on ignore I think, and it was meant for devolution. I just never took him off. They were they only two on the list, so unless that's devo, it's Yamato. I could tell cause it was blocking the posts he made as kaeptain.

Anton Sugar said:
Couldn't this be extended to every position/stat, though? Why just RB's?
I'm not sure how that would work though. I suppose you could apply to WR's/TE's but for what purpose? Are you attempting to measure YAC as a means of identifying the consistency of the player in question or the abilities of the QB? (i.e. Drew Brees threw for 400 yards but was that 4 80 yard bombs and some short passes or a whole bunch of little passes that his receivers turned into longer gains?)

jakncoke

Banned
Is there anyone with quick hands on data of time of possession leaders win pct historically or at least over the past few years? Im curious just how much teams who led the game in time of possession won overall.

9ers fan. I only know this because I mistakenly put him on ignore I think, and it was meant for devolution. I just never took him off. They were they only two on the list, so unless that's devo, it's Yamato. I could tell cause it was blocking the posts he made as kaeptain.

dude you fucked up, timedog going to eat your wifes eggs.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AdamSchefter
Jets plan to hire Seattle Seahawks executive John Idzik as their general manager.

AdamSchefter
Jets and John Idzik still working through "details" according to source but two sides finalizing deal. Idzik will be Jets GM, as expected.

Good luck buddy! Gonna need it.

Jets suck.

I like the Hamilton hire, but I hope we still aren't afraid to stretch the field. Sounds like the assumption is we'll move to a West Coast offense, but I don't think we have all the personnel for it yet.

(i.e. Drew Brees threw for 400 yards but was that 4 80 yard bombs and some short passes or a whole bunch of little passes that his receivers turned into longer gains?)

This is mainly what I was thinking, but I should probably finish the article, because it can't be that simple, I suppose.

It's funny that someone as seemingly easy going as you has her on ignore. I love it. Even nice guys have limits. I think the only people on my ignore list come from Popgaf. I can't stand the way they talk. It hurts my brain.

AdamSchefter
Jets plan to hire Seattle Seahawks executive John Idzik as their general manager.

If he took that job knowing that he had no say in who the coach was going to be next season, he deserves all the shit he's about to experience.

hiryu

We switched to a 4-3 the last few years. We do not have any really great linemen though.

Uhh our D-line is one of the strengths of our team. Probably have Hughes and Taylor at the ends with Rubin and Hughes at NT. We shouldn't have any problems switching back to a 3-4 though especially a hybrid like Horton runs. We definitely need an outside linebacker though and I'm betting our first pick is one. Probably someone like Jones or Jordan.

JCizzle

racist against Niner fans, I see how it is

AndresON777

shooting blanks

Did you see this?

original.gif

Wes

venison crêpe
Don't keep it for yourself, post it brah!

I've read some combination of Mallett, the Pats first rounder plus another mid rounder for our 6th overall pick.

Doing some further research Lombardi has had a huge crush on Mallett for the longest time.

hiryu

I've read some combination of Mallett, the Pats first rounder plus another mid rounder for our 6th overall pick.

Doing some further research Lombardi has had a huge crush on Mallett for the longest time.

Barf, although Lombardi does have a thing for drug addicts at QB. One thing you can be sure of is if Belichek is willing to trade someone there is a reason.

Dragon

Banned
Ænima;46601281 said:
With a competent coordinator plus a year of NFL experience under his belt Luck will be a top 10 (borderline top 5) qb next year imo.

In no order:
Rodgers
Brady
Peyton
Big Ben
R Wilson
Brees
Romo
Eli
Newton
Ryan

I think a running game would help more so he doesn't have to throw the ball 40 times a game.

Splooge-worthy

Bowser

Panthers promoted Shula to OC. Fuck me.

Joe Person ‏@josephperson
For those asking, Pat Shurmur and Hue Jackson wanted the job. Panthers went w/ continuity and someone who's worked well with Cam.

Oh my god fuck me.

Fuck this team god damnit.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

I hope this isn't true since the Pats would actually get a great pass rusher that high.

Spinluck

I like the Hamilton hire, but I hope we still aren't afraid to stretch the field. Sounds like the assumption is we'll move to a West Coast offense, but I don't think we have all the personnel for it yet.

Naw, with the guys we have, we'll definitely stretch the field.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Everything was so good today too...

tumblr_m9bnozf1up1rtmazu_zps77f58b3a.gif

Dragon

Banned
Nah, you, slo, Drakeon, fmt, and the like are all good in my book. As far as kaeptain, he's fine too. I wont get into devo though.

I've never understood GAF's fascination with her, but then again I try to stay out of off topic after my recent banning posting anywhere but this thread!

Bowser

@RapSheet Ian Rapoport
Covered Mike Shula as play-caller at Bama. Stunned he is an NFL coordinator. But that was 6 years ago. Interesting to see what's he's learned

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer
Will say I'm surprised that Mike Shula got the call over Pat Shurmer and Hue Jackson in Carolina, given the track records of each

nRO2i.gif

Drakeon

Why are teams weary of Hue Jackson as oc? Yeah, hes a shit head coach, but he did some good things with Oakland when he was running the offense.

man I love coconut stuff. Just licorice is shitty shit shit. But the jelly bellys arent bad.
I had some real licorice from Norway once and it tasted like sweat. Fucking gross.

I have a giant jelly belly container with like 50 flavors and I can't really tell the difference between awful licorice and the tasty ones. Sometimes I don't want to eat it but I'm not really in a position to spit it out so I just have to swallow it down

Top Bottom