• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

bionic77

You can't get it. When you get a team, when the gift of hometown football is given to you, especially having it ripped away before, no rational thought can be given. I totally know that Modell fucked over Cleveland like Irsay did Baltimore.....I don't care! He gave me football!
Baltimore fans are obviously not averse to receiving stolen goods.

It was a perfect fit.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
You need to get your OLine settled brosef.

I know; I didn't blame the refs, just brutally aggravating. I was ready to fight someone right as we hit 1st and 30/erased our 3rd down conversion at the end of the game. God, thank goodness for Romo.

Honestly, both teams sucked, but with the trunctuated preseason, I expect this to be the norm for most teams in the opening games.

Wait, what?

Anyway, Giants D entered the game banged up in the secondary and got even more banged up. Dallas took advantage, especially with Romo able to buy time and make plays. Later in the second half, they took it to a gassed Giant D with the running game. The Giant offense wasn't able to run it consistently and Cruz killed them with big drops.

As for Modell, Cleveland, the Lerners, Baltimore, Steve Bisciotti....they all suck.

I watched it a few more times and the only thing I can think is that he assumed the ball was overthrown and was trying to pick it on the back end.

Biggest loser last night was the striking refs. The new refs did a great job, let the players control the game and made no game-changing errors. Bravo.
Exactly. If they keep doing this well it puts the nfl in the drivers seat for the negotiations.

ESPN fawning all over Modell's legacy and just glossing over the Browns move. Talking about, "Well, he was forced to do it... poor guy had no choice."

Nori Chan

There were a couple of questionable calls yesterday.

The holding call I could've accepted, but the clipping call and Victor Cruz's blocking in the back one was like eehhhh?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
DEZ-TACKLE.gif

ESPN fawning all over Modell's legacy and just glossing over the Browns move. Talking about, "Well, he was forced to do it... poor guy had no choice."
Yeah, shit like that pisses me off.

The Muni was a shithole because Modell was too cheap to keep it properly maintained.

And Modell was offered a seat in the Gateway project that built new venues for the Tribe and Cavs, but he refused. He didn't want Gateway to succeed because he was making money off the Tribe by charging them rent at the Muni.

So it was the bastard's own damn fault.

Bowser

There were a couple of questionable calls yesterday.

The holding call I could've accepted, but the clipping call and Victor Cruz's blocking in the back one was like eehhhh?

Yeah, clipping call should've been block in the back, and the Cruz block in the back on that first down to Black Unicorn was minor at best. They missed the defensive holding on Cruz, but the real refs miss that 50% of the time too. The only egregious miss in my mind was the obvious pick play the Giants ran to get Cruz a first down in the first half.

DezClothesline.gif

I loled when I saw that happen last night

Bowser

Lets wait til after Sunday before we go thinking the replacement refs are doing a decent job....

Could say the same thing with the real refs. Yeah, the league put it's best replacement crew out there last night, but the NFL would've put it's best real crew out their last night anyway. The real refs miss just as many calls / make bad calls as well (Megatron TD reversal?)

BigAT

Could say the same thing with the real refs. Yeah, the league put it's best replacement crew out there last night, but the NFL would've put it's best real crew out their last night anyway. The real refs miss just as many calls / make bad calls as well (Megatron TD reversal?)

As stupid as I think the underlying rule is (and it should definitely be changed/clarified), the refs actually made the correct call on that Megatron touchdown that wasn't.

Seanspeed

Banned

I'll never complain about a few holding calls missed. But if you followed preseason, you should be legitimately worried about the replacement refs. There were some seriously baffling big calls at least once or twice a week.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Lol so bad yesterday, no secondary, it's going to be a long season at this rate... well atleast it wasn't like losing to the Redskins, the Cowboys are at least good on paper, so i'll take the opening loss for what it was a bad game from the team all together...

Reminds me, those penalties wasted more time, then a fawking touchdown to follow... nail in the coffin..

As stupid as I think the underlying rule is (and it should definitely be changed/clarified), the refs actually made the correct call on that Megatron touchdown that wasn't.

Then why did they give the lions a TD last year against the niners when burleson went to the ground and the ball came out?

Fox318

Modell could have gone in on a better arena with the Cavs and Indians but he was too cheap and he was making money off of the Indians.

Draxal

pelicansurf said:
"THIRTEEN HUGE PENALTIES WASN'T ENOUGH TO LET US WIN"
Pretty much. When as a defense you give up a TD on a first and 30 after a drive that had like 6 penalties that knocked the opposing team out of field goal range - the last thing you need to do is bitch about non-calls.

The Giants had plenty of opportunities to turn that game around and they let every one slip through their fingers.

By the way, the Giants are 2-5 against the NFC East at Metlife. Homefield disadvantage.

Top Bottom