• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Rooney rule was brought on by Rooney's own racism. He was like "oh shit, turns out if you give coloreds a chance, they might do a decent job! I almost didn't interview this guy because he was black, but now I want everyone to try it. Try interviewing a black!"

Meanwhile, Al Davis had the first black head coach decades ago. :cool:

didnt he have the first hispanic head coach, tom flores? And the first female executive in the nfl?

bionic77

Yeah, it's good now. I'm just sayin'. There's still hope for Boston. Maybe.
I actually rooted for the Pats against the Raiders in 2001. I didn't what they were but it was wrong and I will take that shame to my grave.

I wont tell my kids about it. I want them to respect me.

Fox318

texans 9-7 season, oddly enough the season he jumped ship. Can't take winning!
zXboQ.gif

Milchjon

I actually rooted for the Pats against the Raiders in 2001. I didn't what they were but it was wrong and I will take that shame to my grave.

I wont tell my kids about it. I want them to respect me.

Busted.

What would you do if one of your kids became a Pats fan, and the other a Steelers fan?

Talon

How come the Eagles and Falcons (or, hell, Broncos) don't have Limited Jerseys available, but the goddamn Browns, Vikings, and Jaguars do? What in the hell, NFL Shop?

Please God, let this be a sign that we're getting uni redesigns!

Milchjon

I am a good father so none of my kids will be Pats fans.

Why do you Pat fans love these sick hypotheticals so much?

We're just hoping for a brighter future for your kids. Can you blame us? Rapists and thugs just aren't the right company to keep.

God bless their innocent souls.

Pimpwerx

didnt he have the first hispanic head coach, tom flores? And the first female executive in the nfl?

Yes. Al Davis was a rather progressive guy as far as sports owners are concerned. It's actually the reason the Raiders are my mom's favorite team. PEACE.

Marvin Austin expects to practice next week. As does Prince Amukamara who started hopping on his ankle but hasn't run yet. We need both desperately. No word on Michael Coe as of yet but he's saying his hammy is mild and he shouldn't miss any time.

Coughlin went straight up fire and brimstone during his press conference today saying his decision to bench Wilson was purely in an effort to win the game and "this isn't preseason anymore. This is serious business". He gave the rookie credit for being emotional about the fumble and his passion but he can't have it. He rattled off the record of the Giants when they win the turnover battle 46-9 in nine years of Coughlin tenure.

He had some choice quotes about the run game as well and the teams preparation:

Coughlin: "Two or three practices last week quite frankly weren't good enough. Grind a bit. Forget about all the smoke being blown. Don't look backwards. Look forward."

Coughlin: "Right now, our playaction passes don't do anything to anybody. They just drop back and play pass."

Great insight on Dwilson, Bradshaw and teh running game by a guy on another board. It's kinda FF-related, but he makes good points.
Went back and watched it over again, here is what I saw. Up to Wilson's fumble..

Bradshaw was in on 9 plays / had 3 touches
Wilson was in on 3 plays / had 2 touches

Of Wilson's 3 plays, all 3 were designed plays for him. None were a part of the main offense where he had to worry about PB or audibling into something new in the playbook.

1. Toss
2. Wheel route - Wilson was Manning's 1st read on the play (2nd & 6), Eli eyed him down for a while, but he wasn't open so he threw elsewhere.
3. Toss (fumble)

IMO, it confirms what I've felt about the rook. The Giants do not trust him with the playbook or in PB, but they know he has play-maker speed that Bradshaw doesn't so they'd like to utilize it with specific plays designed just for him.

The problem here for us Wilson owners (besides a fumble), is that the Giants run a Run n' Shoot-type of offense, in other words, they don't just call a run play and stick with it. Wilson has to know the entire playbook so if Eli reads the box, then audibles into a pass play, Wilson will have to know his blocking assignment and run with it. Until he gets to that point, he'll likely end up like Donald Brown in his rookie season, only running designed plays that use his skill, but won't get the QB killed or put drives in jeopardy, maybe even a finisher role in games NY is ahead. By now we all know what will happen if he fumbles again. I think we'll see Wilson in the same role next week, especially since they play TB and will likely get a lead. Wilson had a rep for being a fumbler and tough to coach at VT, let's see if he responds well, if so, he could benefit for showing maturity after his fumble and crying episode.

Bradshaw:
They guy ran fine considering what was blocked for him. Hater or not, that 10 yard TD and stiff-arm was awesome. Then the 33 yard draw was nice as well. He showed he has speed, then juked Sensabaugh and stiff-armed Lee for an additional 18 yards. Like someone else said, cancel his funeral. Bradshaw looked fine.

On the GL stand:
Play 1 - This play was supposed to go inside, but Chris Snee was BLOWN away on the right side, when Bradshaw tried to bounce it outside, Hynoski was still in front of Bradshaw. By the time Bradshaw made it to the outside, Dallas was all over the edge.

Play 2 - Bradshaw never had a chance. 7 Cowboys were surrounding him, right away.

Wilson's rawness when it came to blitz pickup is one of the reasons I wanted Doug Martin over him. You could argue that Martin didn't have Wilson's big play ability but he was the only other "complete" back in the draft, IMO. I watched a few of Tampa's preseason games and the kid was in there picking up blitzes and he looked impressive. He had a good understanding of his assignments and what to look for.

That's not to say that Wilson won't learn these things over time. Bradshaw didn't come out of the 7th round blowing people up either and he's developed into one of the best blitz pick up running backs in the game. (Jacobs was also pretty damned great in this regard). If you think I'm overstating his abilities in this regard....

https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...rs-of-pass-blocking-efficiency-running-backs/

Awesome post man, it's going to be something that you wonder how soon teams will exploit Wilson being in. You know he can't passblock, so why not blitz to his side (Sproles Philosophy)?

UberTag

Awesome post man, it's going to be something that you wonder how soon teams will exploit Wilson being in. You know he can't passblock, so why not blitz to his side (Sproles Philosophy)?
I'm dumping Wilson to the wire next week in the one league I own him.
Still plenty healthy at RB (Charles, Hillis, Muscle Hamster, Murray) and he only cost me a $1 in an auction draft.
He's a project for next year unless Bradshaw gets himself hurt. And even in that case I wouldn't trust him.

Putting a claim in for Quizz who got let go after draft day. He was the $1 RB I wanted initially. Got sniped by a guy who wanted to deny me a value pickup.

I'm dumping Wilson to the wire next week in the one league I own him.
Still plenty healthy in RB (Charles, Hillis, Muscle Hamster, Murray) and he only cost me a $1 in an auction draft.
He's a project for next year unless Bradshaw gets himself hurt. And even in that case I wouldn't trust him.
Yikes, I wouldn't go that far. He's a home run hitter who doesn't go down at first contact, and he can passcatch (if the Giants actually would run a RB screen). I still think he'll have close to the impact Ryan Williams will have, and I think Williams will be starting at RB in the near future.

EDIT: Shonn Greene 7/63?
Mark Sanchez 72% completion percentage?

tumblr_lm0f01OBud1qdlkgg.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I knew that was her!

raiders-fans(02).jpg

I can't be the only one who thought of the old WWF tag team Demolition when I saw this. The woman even has the same look on her face.

How come the Eagles and Falcons (or, hell, Broncos) don't have Limited Jerseys available, but the goddamn Browns, Vikings, and Jaguars do? What in the hell, NFL Shop?

Good, im fucking happy about that actually. I'm sick of walking into sports stores and seeing nothing but eagle, bronco, packer, steeler, raider, and 49er gear. fuck all those teams. fuck them up the ass.

Narag

I was about to say that looked a little high for Sanchez but checking up on his career, he actually had a game close to that last year against Buffalo. Score is pretty close too!

TheFrankman said:
it's going to be something that you wonder how soon teams will exploit Wilson being in. You know he can't passblock, so why not blitz to his side (Sproles Philosophy)?
Yeah, I think that kind of goes to what that article you posted was saying. The won't expose Eli if Wilson is on the field. It's in line with what Coughlin has been saying about having specific plays/packages they want to run with him for right now as he continues to develop. If there's any chance that Eli will audible out of the run or there's a pass play - Bradshaw will be on the field.

Of course if the offensive line can't block worth a damn, it won't matter anyway. Every game will come down to Eli's arm and the receivers as it did last year. As long as Eli is healthy, I honestly don't worry much about the offense. We've lost receivers and lineman and Eli continues to produce.

Bowser

Panthers don't either, I've been holding out for one and I'm starting to get desperate and might just get a Game jersey :(

I can't believe it... but I think I give Gilbride the green light to have Eli throw 40+ a game/all 3 downs in a 1st in Goal situation. My God, I think Giants may draft O-line the 1st 3 rounds next year.

BTW my sentiments have NOTHING to do with the fact I own Eli Manning on one of my Fantasy teams. Just saying. :p

UberTag

Yikes, I wouldn't go that far. He's a home run hitter who doesn't go down at first contact, and he can passcatch (if the Giants actually would run a RB screen). I still think he'll have close to the impact Ryan Williams will have, and I think Williams will be starting at RB in the near future.[/IMG]
I agree with you that Williams will be starting at RB sooner rather than later. But I wouldn't want anything to do with him this year, either. With that terrible run blocking, anemic quarterbacking and terrible rushing sched? I won't touch any Cardinal in fantasy this season.

Puddles

Banned
I agree with you that Williams will be starting at RB sooner rather than later. But I wouldn't want anything to do with him this year, either. With that terrible run blocking, anemic quarterbacking and terrible rushing sched? I won't touch any Cardinal in fantasy this season.

Beanie Wells will have a solid year. #Believe.

Top Bottom