• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

Cagey

Banned
players dont get paid for preseason.

the owners love it, its all profit for them. Fucking season tickets force you to buy preseason and the damn tickets are the same price as regular season games.

It's why there's no chance in hell that Goodell can ever get rid of preseason games without adding regular season games. Goodell works for the owners, and the owners aren't going to shut down a hilariously lucrative moneymaking scheme just for the benefit of the fans and players.

Fox318

9hUSS.jpg

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I thought that the money from preseason went to the revenue pool that was used to calculate the salary cap. That's a good point, though. Goodell should drop the 2 games b/c it's the right thing to do, and makes his sport look bad, and not try and extract more from the players (besides more practices)
I read somewhere that a lot of teams really only make money during the preseason. They get to negotiate their own tv deals and whatnot, so the owners will fight that. I'm going to vote for 17 games, 2 preseason games, every team plays a neutral site game. Scoff if you will, but we all know that more games in Europe are on the way.

squicken

I read somewhere that a lot of teams really only make money during the preseason. They get to negotiate their own tv deals and whatnot, so the owners will fight that. I'm going to vote for 17 games, 2 preseason games, every team plays a neutral site game. Scoff if you will, but we all know that more games in Europe are on the way.

I have no problem with an extra game or two. Just add another bye week and expand the size of the practice squads and rosters significantly

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Soccer is invincible in Europe. Euros hate commercials like it's cancer. Maybe if they add sponsors to NFL jerseys?

---sweet. can't wait for my julio jones jersey with the lovely home depot logo on it... or chik fil a?

eznark

Banned
Soccer is invincible in Europe. Euros hate commercials like it's cancer. Maybe if they add sponsors to NFL jerseys?

---sweet. can't wait for my julio jones jersey with the lovely home depot logo on it... or chik fil a?

Weird. A commercial seems like it would be a welcome reprieve from soccer.

squicken

Goodell is a bastard for killing NFl Europe. Preseason's quality is not an issue, it's boring in every other sport. Deal with it.

The NFL is very worried about people not attending the games and staying home and watching on their flat panels. They don't like the idea of empty stadiums, even in preseason

Fox318

I'm thinking of picking up a small monitor (22"-24") but I was wondering if I could use a 1080p tv of the same size as well. It would mostly be used for coding, gaming, sports, and some tv/movies.

Are there anythings I should watch out for if I'm gonna use a small tv as a monitor or should I just avoid it and use a monitor instead?

Talon

I'm thinking of picking up a small monitor (22"-24") but I was wondering if I could use a 1080p tv of the same size as well. It would mostly be used for coding, gaming, sports, and some tv/movies.

Are there anythings I should watch out for if I'm gonna use a small tv as a monitor or should I just avoid it and use a monitor instead?
The response time, contrast, and refresh rates are what you need to keep an eye on. Televisions and monitors are certainly a lot closer than they used to be, but monitors are still ahead at better price points just for those options - plus the size, obviously as the TVs have tuners, speakers and such to stuff in there.

But a decent 24+" TV as a monitor is totally doable.

If you're buying a tv that size, go for a 720P instead. You'll save some money for a negligible difference in screen quality.
Not if he's using this as a desk monitor. You'd wish 1280x720 on a man that programs?

squicken

Looks like Holmgren (not Heckert) Decided to Draft Weeden at #22, pretty sure Holmgren made the decision to draft MCcoy Also 

Kind of curious that Heckert is distancing himself from the two QBs on the eve of the first game of the year and a couple months away from new ownership

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Like it has been said, if you ever plan on using it as a PC monitor, get a 1080p television.

If not, 720p is fine but you'll have to sit close since I used to play 360 on a 24" Samsung back in the day and the text was impossible to read from more than 6 feet away.

Kind of curious that Heckert is distancing himself from the two QBs on the eve of the first game of the year and a couple months away from new ownership
I wouldn't say Heckert is distancing himself at all, he hasn't said a word about it. Holmgren came out and said be build rank or something along the lines of that for the Weeden pick like yesterday on the radio. Also is just been known that Holmgren wanted McCoy with the pick

Talon

I wouldn't say Heckert is distancing himself at all, he hasn't said a word about it. Holmgren came out and said be build rank or something along the lines of that for the Weeden pick like yesterday on the radio. Also is just been known that Holmgren wanted McCoy with the pick
He's no Ron Wolf.

Fox318

If you're buying a tv that size, go for a 720P instead. You'll save some money for a negligible difference in screen quality.
I need as much real estate as I can get. 720p would be a no no.
The response time, contrast, and refresh rates are what you need to keep an eye on. Televisions and monitors are certainly a lot closer than they used to be, but monitors are still ahead at better price points just for those options - plus the size, obviously as the TVs have tuners, speakers and such to stuff in there.

But a decent 24+" TV as a monitor is totally doable.

Not if he's using this as a desk monitor. You'd wish 1280x720 on a man that programs?
I'm not worried about the refresh rate as much as I am the response time. I'd like to be able to play a faster game on the TV. I'm not going to do anything in 3D and I'm not worried about having a refresh rate that is greater than 60hz.
Like it has been said, if you ever plan on using it as a PC monitor, get a 1080p television.

If not, 720p is fine but you'll have to sit close since I used to play 360 on a 24" Samsung back in the day and the text was impossible to read from more than 6 feet away.

I'll be using it as a desk monitor so I won't be to far away when I'm playing or working.

squicken

I need as much real estate as I can get. 720p would be a no no.

I'm not worried about the refresh rate as much as I am the response time. I'd like to be able to play a faster game on the TV. I'm not going to do anything in 3D and I'm not worried about having a refresh rate that is greater than 60hz.

I'll be using it as a desk monitor so I won't be to far away when I'm playing or working.

In my experience small TVs are garbage for monitors. If you are going to spend extended time using it for PC needs then just buy a monitor. Really depends on if you have speakers for audio or need a monitor with speakers, which would limit your choices.

You can't get it. When you get a team, when the gift of hometown football is given to you, especially having it ripped away before, no rational thought can be given. I totally know that Modell fucked over Cleveland like Irsay did Baltimore.....I don't care! He gave me football!

You probably dont know or dont care that he voted against Baltimore getting an expansion team years prior though right? That wouldve been the right thing to do. There were talks of other teams transplanting to Cle. We didnt want another cities team. I guess your average Baltimore fan has no integrity.

ESPN fawning all over Modell's legacy and just glossing over the Browns move. Talking about, "Well, he was forced to do it... poor guy had no choice."

Complete nonsense. It almost feels like they are trolling us, seriously. If they do this "moment of silence" horseshit Sunday, it's gonna be ugly.

LukeSmith

The NFL is very worried about people not attending the games and staying home and watching on their flat panels. They don't like the idea of empty stadiums, even in preseason

The stadium experience is inferior to watching all of the games at once. Cell phone connection is terrible, everyone stands, the seats are shitty. The NFL has a long way to go to improve that experience.

I can't really imagine a stadium experience better than a living room, unless it was a living room overlooking the game as it happened.

The stadium experience is inferior to watching all of the games at once. Cell phone connection is terrible, everyone stands, the seats are shitty. The NFL has a long way to go to improve that experience.

I can't really imagine a stadium experience better than a living room, unless it was a living room overlooking the game as it happened.

Are you saying the future is some type of virtual reality device spliced in with live events whereby the feed into your vr machine is regulated by millions of cameras simulating any view you want as if you were at the stadium itself?

Sanjuro

Tailgating is the only real reason to head to the games. NFL has created the ultimate sports product made for television.

Fox318

In my experience small TVs are garbage for monitors. If you are going to spend extended time using it for PC needs then just buy a monitor. Really depends on if you have speakers for audio or need a monitor with speakers, which would limit your choices.

I think I may just get a monitor with a tv tuner. I can't seem to find the response times for most TVs.

I'm looking at the Samsung B2230HD now.

squicken

So much of the problem is just how little action there actually is. Even when I watch the Rams, I've got Red Zone going on another screen. Most of the initiatives I've seen are basically cool stuff that could easily be sent to home viewers, but are being walled off to in-stadium viewers.

Stuff like multiple replay angles on your tablet or phone, the replay cam on the jumbotron, or interactive apps that only work on the stadium network. Supposedly the 49ers stadium is going to be this techno wiz-bang structure that's going to make all the other owners demand an upgrade for their buildings

edit: Not sure how it's a monitor if it has a tuner. I used to have a 32" Samsung that worked great as a monitor when used in DVI-PC mode. But iirc, all models below that size used inferior panels. My advice is to buy from Amazon/Costco so you can get a no hassle return if it doesn't work for you

edit 2: Candlestick is such an awful stadium. It's always been bizarre seeing that corner of section of seats empty

Top Bottom