• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

Greg

So much of the problem is just how little action there actually is. Even when I watch the Rams, I've got Red Zone going on another screen. Most of the initiatives I've seen are basically cool stuff that could easily be sent to home viewers, but are being walled off to in-stadium viewers.

Stuff like multiple replay angles on your tablet or phone, the replay cam on the jumbotron, or interactive apps that only work on the stadium network. Supposedly the 49ers stadium is going to be this techno wiz-bang structure that's going to make all the other owners demand an upgrade for their buildings
p0uaC.gif

edit: the ultimate vision for this gif was to have comic book text WIZ! and BANG! appear during each part of the explosion, but you can settle for the mental image

Tailgating is the only real reason to head to the games. NFL has created the ultimate sports product made for television.
Yeah in all honesty I don't even really get excited to go to Home games anymore. The only thing that really excites me is tailgating with friends before the game. I must rather sit home and watch all the games

Fox318

So much of the problem is just how little action there actually is. Even when I watch the Rams, I've got Red Zone going on another screen. Most of the initiatives I've seen are basically cool stuff that could easily be sent to home viewers, but are being walled off to in-stadium viewers.

Stuff like multiple replay angles on your tablet or phone, the replay cam on the jumbotron, or interactive apps that only work on the stadium network. Supposedly the 49ers stadium is going to be this techno wiz-bang structure that's going to make all the other owners demand an upgrade for their buildings

edit: Not sure how it's a monitor if it has a tuner. I used to have a 32" Samsung that worked great as a monitor when used in DVI-PC mode. But iirc, all models below that size used inferior panels. My advice is to buy from Amazon/Costco so you can get a no hassle return if it doesn't work for you

edit 2: Candlestick is such an awful stadium. It's always been bizarre seeing that corner of section of seats empty
Wellington is gonna add pizza makers in all of the seats.

RBH

Running back Arian Foster and outside linebacker Brooks Reed left practice early today because of injuries.

Neither is believed to be serious, however, both were added to the injury report as being limited in practice.

“Arian has a sore knee, and Brooks has a sore hip,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. “They missed the last quarter of practice.”

Kubiak sent them to the dressing room early as a precaution. He said he thinks both are OK, and they should be able to play in Sunday’s regular-season opener against Miami.

Foster and Reed were undergoing treatment after practice and were unavailable to the media. They’ll be available on Friday.
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/09/foster-reed-leave-practice-early-with-injuries/

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Im really diggin nfl am. A hero like eric davis and a hot iitalian lookin broad, so good. I remember when I had to watch the weather channel just to get live tv and not watch mike and mike

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Is it Sunday yet? No it is not, I know this but it is still driving me crazy.

Wednesday night football was a cruel joke, it should have been Thursday so we would at least be a day closer.

Instead we still have to wait through all of Friday and Saturday, terrible.

bud23

Interesting story on LA Times

"Peyton Manning jerseys not allowed in Colorado school district"

But certain people who like to wear the new Broncos quarterback's jersey number -- No. 18 -- apparently are. So no one attending school in Weld County District 6 is allowed to wear a Manning jersey because of a dress code that went into effect long before the four-time league MVP came to Denver during the off-season.

A spokesperson for the district explained that jerseys with the numbers 13, 14, 18, 31, 41 and 81 are not allowed because of gang affiliations.

eznark

Banned
The stadium experience is inferior to watching all of the games at once. Cell phone connection is terrible, everyone stands, the seats are shitty. The NFL has a long way to go to improve that experience.

I can't really imagine a stadium experience better than a living room, unless it was a living room overlooking the game as it happened.

I don't disagree, especially with the way I watch games (TV, laptop and ipad all at once) but I feel the need to go to at least one game every year. This year I'm going to go to the Packers - Colts game at Lucas which should be pretty much wrapped up after the first quarter so I'll just watch the rest of the games on the ipad!

Milchjon

Mankins is one of seven players on the active roster who has celebrated his 30th birthday, joining quarterback Tom Brady [stats] (the only player on the team born in the 1970s), offensive lineman Dan Connolly, wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, wide receiver Wes Welker, linebacker Tracy White and defensive lineman Vince Wilfork [stats].

“This locker room is starting to make me feel old now, but it’s been good,” Welker said. “There’s a lot of energy, a lot of energetic-type guys and young guys.”

In a strange twist, the 30-year-olds are nearly matched by the amount of players who were born in 1990. That list includes running back Brandon Bolden, linebacker Dont’a Hightower, defensive end Chandler Jones, cornerback Sterling Moore and safety Tavon Wilson.

I am fucking old. Retirement home, here I come.

bionic77

3DS XL and Kid Icarus are so fucking awesome. Just wanted to share this.

After I finish this game what should I get next on my 3DS? Not interested in Kingdom Hearts or Resident Evil (both series peaked last gen), how is the new Mario game? Anything else I might like? The online store seems like shit currently. Wonder when/if they will put up GBA/SNES games?

Might fire up Chronotrigger and see what it looks like on this bad boy. That game never gets old...

bionic77

I still like PTI when Wilbon isn't being an unbearable chicago homer.
PTI is well done, but it is boring to me know. Two non-retarded sports writers debating the issues of the day. I know what both guys are going to say before they say it.

I get more entertainment @ GAF talking about sports then watching those guys.

After I finish this game what should I get next on my 3DS? Not interested in Kingdom Hearts or Resident Evil (both series peaked last gen), how is the new Mario game? Anything else I might like? The online store seems like shit currently. Wonder when/if they will put up GBA/SNES games?

Might fire up Chronotrigger and see what it looks like on this bad boy. That game never gets old...
I picked up an XL but I still haven't played Kid Icarus on it yet, mostly since I played so much of that game on the original 3DS when it was new. I might have to give it a shot.

What else do you have on the 3DS? If you're new to the system I would suggest Super Mario 3D Land or Mario Kart 7 (if you're into that). NSMB2 is solid fun but it's about what you'd expect from the next NSMB game; there isn't really much about it that's surprising or anything.

bionic77

Getting back to football, Raider fans we signed some guy named Van Dyke, a cornerback.

Is this guy going to be the next Nnamdi and make our pass defense respectable again?

bionic77

I picked up an XL but I still haven't played Kid Icarus on it yet, mostly since I played so much of that game on the original 3DS when it was new. I might have to give it a shot.

What else do you have on the 3DS? If you're new to the system I would suggest Super Mario 3D Land or Mario Kart 7 (if you're into that). NSMB2 is solid fun but it's about what you'd expect from the next NSMB game; there isn't really much about it that's surprising or anything.
All I have is Kid Icarus and like 20-30 DS games.

I will probably get NSMB but I have zero interest in Mario Kart. That series peaked on the SNES (what a fucking game that was).

Expected. Be curious to see who they pick up and who they end up either cutting or putting on IR.

Patricia Traina @Patricia_Traina

No surprise here given injury situation. Giants are conducting workouts this morning for DBs, per @JennyVrentas.

Draxal

I liked Super Mario 3DLand, be warned it only gets really hard in the end. They definetely have gba support, as the early adopters got some of the gba games for free (the second american Fire Emblem for example).

In all honesty, I'd clear out your DS backlog ad I'd actually try out the Residen Evil 78demo, people said it was a return to form for the series

Fox318

Renowned isn't gonna start. Sanchize will return

@jimirsay

I hired "The Gimp" from Pulp Fiction 2 clean my reading glasses;he lives in a trap door in my Owners Suite,but also does my grocery shopping

Top Bottom