• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

So it all goes back to

drew-brees_1571855c.jpg
Great. The minute he brings up Katrina Saints will get off scot-free. Fuck.

Striker

Second half of the game, no doubt. Still, that Ogletree TD was a fucking killer, early on.
No doubt Web had a bad game, but people keep overlooking these Safeties. I put Rolle just as responsible for that Austin TD that Tryon gave up real late. He looked as if he had no idea what he was doing. Really frustrating. KP was quiet himself. Assuming teams are going to be hitting these quick routes and slants, the Safeties are going to have to be the ones making damage causing deflections or hits.

Also, the David Diehl thing is horrifying. I hope to God he isn't starting week after week if he continues to get clowned. I have no idea what they'll do, but Beatty at LT and Locklear at RT cannot be any worse.

cajunator

Banned
Just leave the suspensions at the coaching level for allowing it to happen and let the players back on the field. The whole thing is overblown and ridiculous. Some of them arent even with the Saints anymore.

Just leave the suspensions at the coaching level for allowing it to happen and let the players back on the field. The whole thing is overblown and ridiculous. Some of them arent even with the Saints anymore.

I don't agree. SP should be punished for the Pay for Performance, but not an entire season.

cajunator

Banned
I don't agree. SP should be punished for the Pay for Performance, but not an entire season.

It doesnt matter much at this point. the Saints have backup plans in place and should just continue as is. If the players are eligible to play, let them play immediately and move on with the season. Im so fucking sick of this whole thing. nobody actually gives a fuck about it other than Goodell. Just want to see my Saints play football again.

cajunator

Banned
I'm glad this means Scott Fujita can play again. Dude is getting older and he deserves to play out the last bit of his career without this bullshit. Anthony also has had a rough enough life and career. He turned it around so I hope he signs with somebody too.

I'm glad this means Scott Fujita can play again. Dude is getting older and he deserves to play out the last bit of his career without this bullshit. Anthony also has had a rough enough life and career. He turned it around so I hope he signs with somebody too.

Man, it sucked when Hargrove was cut. I want that dude to succeed.

eznark

Banned

Yeah, hopefully the guys who paid each other to end other players careers prematurely don't have their careers prematurely ended.

Clown.

Bowser

...is Anthony Hargrove Jimmy Graham's long lost half-brother?

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, hopefully the guys who paid each other to end other players careers prematurely don't have their careers prematurely ended.

Clown.

Dude if the league would go into investigations and suspend every player who did shit like this it would decimate the rosters.

eznark

Banned
Dude if the league would go into investigations and suspend every player who did shit like this it would decimate the rosters.

If "other people do it too" was a defense we wouldn't need jails and no one would be looking down on Grahams mom for beating the shit out of him.

squicken

Line moves leading up to game. Content from an ESPN Insider piece

May 1: Texans -6
Sept. 1: Texans -10
Sept. 5: Texans -12.5

Colbert says: "The biggest, best and sharpest bets we've taken are minus-10 and minus-10.5. I think we probably underestimated how good Houston is and overestimated Miami. We were high on Miami because of a strong finish last year, and our computer model spit them out as a good team. It still overvalues them. We can't stop taking bets on that game. It's going to go to 13. As I sit here, there are bets coming in on Houston."

Rams vs. Lions

May 1: Lions -9.5
Sept. 1: Lions -9.5
Sept. 5: Lions -7

Colbert says: "This is real similar to Saints-Redskins. Same numbers, with the smart money coming in on the Rams."

Chargers vs. Raiders

May 1: Chargers -1
Sept. 1: Pick 'em
Sept. 5: Raiders -1.5

Colbert says: "Another sharp, sharp game. The Chargers have been bet against in everything we have done."

So now we get to go through this bounty stuff again while Goofy Goodell tries to whip up some evidence? Wonderful....I'm so tired of the Goodell regime.

cajunator

Banned
If "other people do it too" was a defense we wouldn't need jails and no one would be looking down on Grahams mom for beating the shit out of him.

My point is, football is a rough sport and players are always trying to injure each other. thats the whole point of sacking a QB and tackling players. They dont want to talk about it but in the back of their mind players wouldnt mind if a tackle took out a significant player of the other team.
Whether they pay each other to do it or not has insubstantial proof one way or the other. Going back through, for example, those old america's Game videos I have interviewing old players, they openly said their intent was to hurt opposing players. They have a bust in Canton too. what I dont agree with is targeting specific players for this when entire defenses are built to do this sort of thing. You might as well get rid of the defensive end position or stop sacking QBs because the whole point of it is to take the guy out of the game, and sometimes that means injuring them. If this were to happen to Drew Brees, it would suck but thats football. Dont think Im going to exempt the thought of my own teams players getting hurt.
these guys are paid millions of dollars to play this game. They know the risks.
I would defend this whether the players suspended were Saints or not. Id even defend a Patriot players right to play if they were implicated. Maybe even a Falcon.
Why dont we just turn the game into flag football so that nobody gets hurt?

Dragon

Banned
cajunator your counterargument is so rife with strawman arguments. Do what I do when the Patriots cheating ways are mentioned, attack the other person. Much easier and more fun!

My point is, football is a rough sport and players are always trying to injure each other. thats the whole point of sacking a QB and tackling players. They dont want to talk about it but in the back of their mind players wouldnt mind if a tackle took out a significant player of the other team.
Really? You sure about that sweeping generalization?

Cagey

Banned
No doubt Web had a bad game, but people keep overlooking these Safeties. I put Rolle just as responsible for that Austin TD that Tryon gave up real late. He looked as if he had no idea what he was doing. Really frustrating. KP was quiet himself. Assuming teams are going to be hitting these quick routes and slants, the Safeties are going to have to be the ones making damage causing deflections or hits.

Also, the David Diehl thing is horrifying. I hope to God he isn't starting week after week if he continues to get clowned. I have no idea what they'll do, but Beatty at LT and Locklear at RT cannot be any worse.

My fear is that David Diehl will play slightly better in the coming weeks, raising his performance from the lulz-y levels of ineptitude it currently resides at to somewhere near bottom third of the NFL, and it'll be seen as progress enough to solidify his position on the line.

I'm willing to try any number of combinations on the line that do not involve a starting David Diehl, as the ceiling is bound to be much higher, and the floor cannot possibly be lower.

cajunator

Banned
cajunator your counterargument is so rife with strawman arguments. Do what I do when the Patriots cheating ways are mentioned, attack the other person. Much easier and more fun!

Im just questioning why this is so much of an issue in the first place.
Its kind of funny that it came out after Favre was forced to retire. Ill just take your advice and blame him for the whole thing. He ruins everything anyway.

cajunator

Banned
The most stupid thing about this, is the NFL ignored this sort of thing until it hit them in their pocketbook with ex-players suing the fuck out of them. I think thats the biggest issue I have with it.

eznark

Banned
My point is, football is a rough sport and players are always trying to injure each other. thats the whole point of sacking a QB and tackling players.

I really hate this argument but thinking about your post history and combining it with this comment it's pretty obvious you've never played football or any contact sport in your life. It's exceedingly, insanely rare for people to be attempting to injure others. When it happens, it's a big deal. Your argument is as stupid as it is insulting to anyone who has even a tiny shred of intelligence.

I get that you want to somehow protect the team you've been rooting for for a few years, but its getting embarrassing.

Top Bottom