• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

wbsmcs

SEPTEMBER 5
DAL at NYG

SEPTEMBER 9
IND at CHI
ATL at KC
PHI at CLE
WAS at NO
STL at DET
NE at TEN
JAC at MIN
BUF at NYJ
MIA at HOU
SEA at ARI
SF at GB
CAR at TB
PIT at DEN

SEPTEMBER 10
CIN at BAL
SD at OAK

AFC East: Patriots
AFC North: Baltimore
AFC West: Oakland
AFC South: Houston
AFC Wildcard: Kansas City
AFC Wildcard: Cincinnati

NFC East: NYG
NFC North: Packers
NFC West: 49ers
NFC South: NO
NFC Wildcard: Atlanta
NFC Wildcard: Bears

RBH

SEPTEMBER 5
DAL at NYG

SEPTEMBER 9
IND at CHI
ATL at KC
PHI at CLE
WAS at NO
STL at DET
NE at TEN
JAC at MIN
BUF at NYJ
MIA at HOU
SEA at ARI
SF at GB
CAR at TB
PIT at DEN

SEPTEMBER 10
CIN at BAL
SD at OAK

Doorman

Someone in our work league drafted the San Francisco defense in the second round...

There were a few kind of baffling selections throughout. Still I guess that's what happens in a 16 team league and everyone's filling their rosters with who-knows-what after the first four or so rounds. Fantasy football is still kind of weird to me.

Then again, NFL football is also kind of weird to me still, so maybe I shouldn't be all that shocked.

Bowser

Someone in our work league drafted the San Francisco defense in the second round...

There were a few kind of baffling selections throughout. Still I guess that's what happens in a 16 team league and everyone's filling their rosters with who-knows-what after the first four or so rounds. Fantasy football is still kind of weird to me.

Then again, NFL football is also kind of weird to me still, so maybe I shouldn't be all that shocked.

Someone in my work league (10 teams) drafted the SF defense at the top of round 4, and this is a person that has played fantasy before and keeps up with football (unlike the guy in my work league who took Tebow #2...)

Rorschach

So I guess FF has reached that point in popularity, huh?
People in the workplace are retarded when it comes to football. The most knowledgeable fans will just regurgitate whatever ESPN pundits say and watch about 5 games a year.

It's easy money if you start a weekly pool or workplace FF league.

Dragon

Banned
People in the workplace are retarded when it comes to football. The most knowledgeable fans will just regurgitate whatever ESPN pundits say and watch about 5 games a year.

Not when your workplace is a sports company :(

squicken

NFL Films fills A Football Life with bosses like Landry, Davis and Belichick, then starts off season 2 with fucking Tim Tebow?! Seriously?

It is a bit silly to start the best one, but maybe viewers will watch and then be intrigued by some of those no names ;)

Looking forward to the DeBartolo one and wonder if he'll admit to paying players under the table

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

g98na.jpg

The worst. I generally don't let customers and coworkers know I'm into sports of any kind. It just makes things easier

motherfucker niners placed parys haralson on season ending IR. and it's not one of those where he can come back. he's gone for the year.

this is a major blow. even though aldon is starting, we now have 2 "healthy" (i use the term loosely because both aldon smith and ahmad brooks are banged up anyways) OLB's. we signed hagans but he is probably going to be suspended 4 games.

haralson was so good against the run in our base formation as well. not so much at getting to the QB but great at holding the point. i have to imagine we're going to scour the league for possible OLB's. cam johnson isn't ready to get promoted from the practice squad

squicken

motherfucker niners placed parys haralson on season ending IR. and it's not one of those where he can come back. he's gone for the year.

this is a major blow. even though aldon is starting, we now have 2 "healthy" (i use the term loosely because both aldon smith and ahmad brooks are banged up anyways) OLB's. we signed hagans but he is probably going to be suspended 4 games.

haralson was so good against the run in our base formation as well. not so much at getting to the QB but great at holding the point. i have to imagine we're going to scour the league for possible OLB's. cam johnson isn't ready to get promoted from the practice squad

So you are saying that the 49ers are having injuries this year, unlike last year where they had very few missed games by starters? And this injury regression to the mean was cited as one of the reasons they would fall back to the pack in the NFCW? Russel Wilson is going to wreck that division

chuck. well done

So you are saying that the 49ers are having injuries this year, unlike last year where they had very few missed games by starters? And this injury regression to the mean was cited as one of the reasons they would fall back to the pack in the NFCW? Russel Wilson is going to wreck that division

chuck. well done

we had injuries last year, you just don't want to remember them. gore was banged up all year, patrick willis missed 1/4th of the season with an injury, dashon goldson missed the first few weeks of the season, delaine walker missed the end of the season and the playoff game against the saints, isaac soapoaga missed 2 games, ray macdonald missed 2 games, teddy ginn missed the NFC championship game, braylon edwards was injured in week 2 and basically didn't come back all year (and was eventually released right before the playoffs), michael crabtree missed all of pre-season with a neck injury and played like 3 snaps in the first/second week of the season

so if your definition of "injury free year" is that we didn't really have anyone on IR then i won't argue with it. but if you are saying we didn't have injuries that impacted the team then eat a bag of dicks

squicken

so if your definition of "injury free year" is that we didn't really have anyone on IR then i won't argue with it. but if you are saying we didn't have injuries that impacted the team then eat a bag of dicks

Everyone gets banged up in football. Your starters, especially your impact players, were amazingly healthy. You're going to be crying about those fumbles and what might have been for a long time

Everyone gets banged up in football. Your starters, especially your impact players, were amazingly healthy. You're going to be crying about those fumbles and what might have been for a long time

lol i guess patrick willis isn't an impact player. the rams had 0 impact players miss any games last year so i dont know what you're complaining about

cajunator

Banned

chuck. well done

Jumping off the niners bandwagon already?
I expected (slightly) better of you Squicken.

squicken

Jumping off the niners bandwagon already?
I expected (slightly) better of you Squicken.

I was never on the 49ers bandwagon as much as the Harbs' bandwagon. But he's sort of like Belichcik. Great coach. Total douchebag. Hard to like if he's not coaching your team. And the 49ers aren't on the list

I can't help but chime in when someone is spouting stupid shit. Especially if they're putting other people down when they're the ones who are misinformed.
I let the stupid shit fly and just snicker to myself later. In Michigan, the fans are so naive they generally just swing their dicks around and high five, especially about the Lions. Idl of I have ever had a case in real life where someone is putting someone else down. I've also never run into a real life crazy like FMT or someone who has tried to tell me Suh will be better than Reggie White.

UofM fans, on the other hand....

I was never on the 49ers bandwagon as much as the Harbs' bandwagon. But he's sort of like Belichcik. Great coach. Total douchebag. Hard to like if he's not coaching your team. And the 49ers aren't on the list

why admire harbs when you have a great coach like jeff fisher? he has proven that he's a great coach with his 2 playoff wins in his last 10 years of coaching and he is also an astute business man given that he forces his players to use his financial advisor so he can get a commission kickback. i am jealous :(

squicken

why admire harbs when you have a great coach like jeff fisher? he has proven that he's a great coach with his 2 playoff wins in his last 10 years of coaching and he is also an astute business man given that he forces his players to use his financial advisor so he can get a commission kickback. i am jealous :(

My Rams affiliation was/is entirely Bradford based. If/when he has washed out, I'm out. Fisher's not bad. Above average. Never could get the elite QB after McNair and always had to deal with Peyton.

I would have preferred an offensive guy, but they were sick of first year coaches. After they fired Spags, that very day, Long, Lauranitis and Bradford went to the owner and begged him to hire Fisher

LOL I only see that in Keeper/Auction leagues. I usually throw a bid out on a kicker 1st round.

Fantasy newb question: What do you do if your QB plays your defense one week? Do you drop that D and pick up another one? Sit your QB and play his backup?

cajunator

Banned
You dont really do anything. theres no way to know if the QB will have a good game or if the opposing defense will. Start both and see what happens.

squicken

So I have a hypothetical based off of Grantland's thing last week. If you are the hypothetical GM(s) involved, would you trade the following guys straight up for Andrew Luck? Age and contract do matter

Eli Manning
Big Ben
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Tom Brady

The only "no" on that list is Rodgers, and I still have to think about it b/c of the age difference and payday he has coming

My Rams affiliation was/is entirely Bradford based. If/when he has washed out, I'm out. Fisher's not bad. Above average. Never could get the elite QB after McNair and always had to deal with Peyton.

I would have preferred an offensive guy, but they were sick of first year coaches. After they fired Spags, that very day, Long, Lauranitis and Bradford went to the owner and begged him to hire Fisher

lol hilarious. so the PLAYERS make the coaching decisions in st. louis, not the GM or someone who is paid. no wonder the rams organization is such a joke. did they also go to sammy and the gang to get advice on who they should draft?

cajunator

Banned
So I have a hypothetical based off of Grantland's thing last week. If you are the hypothetical GM(s) involved, would you trade the following guys straight up for Andrew Luck? Age and contract do matter

Eli Manning
Big Ben
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Tom Brady

The only "no" on that list is Rodgers, and I still have to think about it b/c of the age difference and payday he has coming

Luck hasn't played a single real game yet. He looked good in preseason against vanilla defenses, but teams know he won't be a simple guy to shut down. they will not go easy on him. would much rather go with a veteran QB, especially if they are healthy.
None of those 5 should be traded yet.

Eli Manning
Big Ben
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Tom Brady

Lets see what Luck does in real games before we crown him.

squicken

lol hilarious. so the PLAYERS make the coaching decisions in st. louis, not the GM or someone who is paid. no wonder the rams organization is such a joke. did they also go to sammy and the gang to get advice on who they should draft?

oh for sure. It's a clown show. But the owner is very hands off and likes to turn things over to established guys. He wants Fisher to be the Rams Arsene Wegner

Luck hasn't played a single real game yet. He looked good in preseason against vanilla defenses, but teams know he won't be a simple guy to shut down. they will not go easy on him. would much rather go with a veteran QB, especially if they are healthy.
None of those 5 should be traded yet.

Lets see what Luck does in real games before we crown him.

Making the choice without having all the information you want is what makes it an interesting hypothetical

Top Bottom