• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

Milchjon

Amusing.

xlarge.jpg

eznark

Banned
Almost purely a deep threat? You really just talk out of your ass all the time. You have no clue what you are talking about.

15 yards per catch. It's not an insult. I'm not saying he runs nothing but goes, he runs a ton of routes. They just generally are designed to attack the safety. At least that's how he has been used most effectively in the past. With Bennett and Jeffrey, sending Marshall underneath would be idiotic.

Don't the players also put Ray Lewis in the pro bowl every year, when he's not even the best linebacker on his team?
Would you want a knife in your throat?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

It actually looks like Newton comes up looking to pass it to the wr in the flat. If he lobs it over the end, it goes for good yardage. He decides to run the original play, option left. But the line allows penetration up the middle, game over. 25 on the defense has the pitch man, which is why he isn't ganging up on Cam.

I like how NFL coaches figured out how to destroy the option game after the Jets got away with it for about 3 games, and college coaches are still clueless. Penetration up the middle/blitz a db off the edge. The Bucs did both right here.

Bread

Banned
Really excited about Jones and Hightower.
The main complaint about Jones from the draft was his upright rush style and lack of speed, and I kind of saw that yesterday, but he looked powerful and quick in his block shedding moves, I was impressed. Hightower looked HUGE, he was bull rushing the shit out of lineman, making great tackles, and generally wreaking havoc on the line. Tavon Wilson was good too, he made some really nice plays.
Gregory and Wilson could be such a nice addition to the dbackfield, especially if Chung stays healthy. Dowling looked nice, but Arrington and McCourty were so slow to react to the pass, that wasn't promising.

bionic77

:jnc, sound familiar? Get used to this. This is the Arians offense. Only difference is Ben could actually make the throws.
I can't believe anyone wanted Arians. The only thing I can thing of was that they couldn't find anyone better? But considering they just drafted their franchise qb you would think that would be an area they would want to be a strength...

Help a rookie out by getting him a great running back, or offensive line, or at the very least a competent coach/coordinator.

6 blockers for 7 rushers, that was going to end badly.

Isn't it Newton's job to sniff out the blitz and call in extra protection from the back?
Or dump the ball off. He was just looking at the rush. I will give him a pass on that one play though because you rarely see 3-4 guys coming through that quickly. I have seen Ben get caught by something similar where he evades a guy coming to one side and doesn't see the guy on the other side coming free.

Speaking of Ben, man Adams is fucking garbage. I think we can call him a bust. Why do the good players get injured?

LJ11

I really wish they'd just outlaw that type of block.
I honestly don't hold any ill will towards Johnson. That doesn't mean that I don't hope Berry fucking crushes Johnson this Sunday though.

You can't outlaw it because it would be impossible, or very difficult, to block a one or three step drop. Guess you can ban WRs from doing it but OL have to do it in order to get defensive lineman to drop their hands and open windows for slants, screens, sticks and quick outs.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Speaking of Ben, man Adams is fucking garbage. I think we can call him a bust. Why do the good players get injured?

I didn't think Gilbert was going to develop, either, but he turned out ok. Steelers are going 0-16 anyways, might as well let the rookies learn on the job. Too bad the first and third round picks are already down with major knee injuries.

eznark

Banned
I didn't think Gilbert was going to develop, either, but he turned out ok. Steelers are going 0-16 anyways, might as well let the rookies learn on the job. Too bad the first and third round picks are already down with major knee injuries.

Slash 2.0!!

Don't the players also put Ray Lewis in the pro bowl every year, when he's not even the best linebacker on his team?

Just because two of the best linebackers in the league are on the Ravens doesn't make Ray any less deserving to be recognized as the best at his position year in and year out.

Ray is the Buck Showalter of the Ravens D; he just makes them better than they are.

cajunator

Banned
Everything hurts, but my face is less swollen so that is good. I think it might have been an assassin, hired by somebody who received a Shirtless fine and didn't agree. I will hire a professional Internet detective and I will find out the truth!

What the fuck is this? How did you come up with this :jnc?

Its a dutch song by a comedian under the name Ome Henk.

Smokey

exhibit a:

seriously? who would you have them get?

Also he's hardly a noodle arm.

He has a noodle arm. I know your schaub fan number 1, but if you watch its not hard to see. When was the last time youve seen a WR run under a schaub pass and into the endzone I.e. AJ? I bet you can't remember because he's always having to stop and come back to get the ball. That's a fact.

I am fine with the deal . It's not like he is going to lose a step over the next 5 years...that's pretty hard to do when you don't have one in the first place. And he's not a dumb qb. I just question his ability to stay healthy and he has yet to prove to me he can get it done in a close game.

Talamius

It actually looks like Newton comes up looking to pass it to the wr in the flat. If he lobs it over the end, it goes for good yardage. He decides to run the original play, option left. But the line allows penetration up the middle, game over. 25 on the defense has the pitch man, which is why he isn't ganging up on Cam.

I like how NFL coaches figured out how to destroy the option game after the Jets got away with it for about 3 games, and college coaches are still clueless. Penetration up the middle/blitz a db off the edge. The Bucs did both right here.

What worries me most is in actuality only 3 Bucs got picked up on the snap, and one of those was by the TE. A 4th (#54) gets picked up towards the end of the play but by that point Cam is doomed.
And a special fuck you to Jordan Gross, who not only gets beaten on the play, he decides to pile on Cam at the end.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Game got out of hand because Sanchize took over against a young bills secondary and the 100 million dollar man couldn't get past a man who was on the practice squads a year ago. Fitz isn't the reason the Bills lost.

...dawg, he threw 3 ints and only complete 50% of his passes. He is exactly the reason we lost. You can't expect a young defense to do shit when they're on the field all game because your shithead QB makes reads like a rookie.

In college.

ESPN with some numbers on the replacement refs:

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/50762/how-did-replacement-officials-fare-in-week-1

Much of the talk going into this week's games was what kind of impact the replacement officials would have.

After looking at the numbers, there wasn’t a significant change in the rate that replacement officials called penalties compared to the four previous seasons, both on a per-game basis and in Week 1 specifically.

Through Sunday's games, an average of a little more than 14 penalties were called in the 14 games. That's about two penalties fewer per game than in Week 1 of last season.

When it comes to coaches' challenges being overturned however, there is a substantial difference from last season. Only 15.4 percent (2-13) of challenges have been overturned in Week 1 so far, the lowest percentage in the opening week since 2008.

There were 45 offensive holding penalties called in Week 1, which for the third straight year was the most called penalty.

More than 50 offensive holding penalties were called in each of the previous two seasons.

Defensive pass interference penalties were up from previous years with 25 such penalties called already with two games still remaining on the schedule.

That equals the total number of defensive pass interference penalties called during Week 1 in 2010 and 2011 combined.

Make of them what you will.

Top Bottom