• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

eznark

Banned
lol, guy in a fantasy league I am in has the return yards set to 0.1 yard per 1 point.

lololol he can't edit it because we're in "draft state"

Rorschach

lol, guy in a fantasy league I am in has the return yards set to 0.1 yard per 1 point.

lololol he can't edit it because we're in "draft state"

Sproles, Hester, Jackson, Harvin, Tate. 2HB 3WR

Congratulations. You just won your league unless someone has a QB that returns kicks. Quick: draft Tebow and Pryor!

eznark

Banned
One of my first years doing fantasy I was in a league like this, Cribbs was a top scorer lol

I won a $5,000 pot the year Dante Hall had his monster season. I literally started 5 Chiefs that year and no one finished within 25 points of me. It was glorious.

It was also the last year we did 10 yards = 1 point for returners AND defense. My Hall/Chiefs combo dominated!

SEPTEMBER 5
DAL at NYG

SEPTEMBER 9
IND at CHI - I'm calling it, upset of the week
ATL at KC
PHI at CLE
WAS at NO
STL at DET
NE at TEN
JAC at MIN
BUF at NYJ
MIA at HOU
SEA at ARI
SF at GB
CAR at TB
PIT at DEN

SEPTEMBER 10
CIN at BAL
SD at OAK

did any one else pick Miami to accidentally play well and beat Houston or should I lay off the bath salts?
youre-youre-crazy-man-frank-the-tank-demotivational-poster-1219152399.jpg

TDK Rises

Both my Fantasy teams.

Tony Romo
Marshawn Lynch
Arian Foster
Victor Cruz
Jeremy Maclin
Antonio Gates
Miles Austin

Mason Crosy K, Jets D

Bench
Roesthlisberger, Roy Helu, Isaac Redman, Justin Blackmon, Laurent Robinson, Jacob Tamme

Team 2

Tom Brady
Antonio Brown
Torrey Smith
Marshawn Lynch
Ahmad Bradshaw
Jimmy Graham
Rashad Jennings

Akers K 49ers D

Bench
Demaryius Thomas, Mike Wallace, Matt Schaub, Brandon Pettigrew, Laurent Robinson

Any tweaks need be?

Both my Fantasy teams.

Tony Romo
Marshawn Lynch
Arian Foster
Victor Cruz
Jeremy Maclin
Antonio Gates
Miles Austin

Mason Crosy K, Jets D

Bench
Roesthlisberger, Roy Helu, Isaac Redman, Justin Blackmon, Laurent Robinson, Jacob Tamme

Team 2

Tom Brady
Antonio Brown
Torrey Smith
Marshawn Lynch
Ahmad Bradshaw
Jimmy Graham
Rashad Jennings

Akers K 49ers D

Bench
Demaryius Thomas, Mike Wallace, Matt Schaub, Brandon Pettigrew, Laurent Robinson

Any tweaks need be?

Yeah, drop Roy Helu and never have a Redskins RB ever on your team. I also think Tamme has a bigger upside than Gates, dont be surprised if you find yourself swapping later on in the season.

TDK Rises

Yeah, drop Roy Helu and never have a Redskins RB ever on your team. I also think Tamme has a bigger upside than Gates, dont be surprised if you find yourself swapping later on in the season.

Yeah, don't think Washington has announced their starter yet, as they flip flopped all last season. Will keep an eye on Tamme

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Draft that just ended with some friends who like to pretend they no stuff about football...they don't.

8OjpC.jpg

A league that has it set up so you can start 4 RBs and I was the only one that attempted to load up on them early.

that's on your commish! he could have set it for WR/RB/TE slot!

Dicked me over because I took Pettigrew as my back up. And he's playing the Lambs week 1. Now i have to decide between a backup RB (Michael Bush and Kendall Hunter) or some random WRs (D. Thomas and Decker, who I don't like playing the Steelers, and Denarious Moore, who is apparently hurt and also has Carson Palmer throwing him the ball). I could start Hunter and see if Gore gets hurt or pulled or something, but I'm leaning towards Bush hoping that Chicago uses him a lot in goal lines.

Greg

While trying to sign up for the shirtless league a while back, I somehow accidentally joined another league. I looked for a way to back out and never found it, and I just remembered about it now.

I guess it automatically picked for me and arranged my team :jnc

qiioe.png

Dicked me over because I took Pettigrew as my back up. And he's playing the Lambs week 1. Now i have to decide between a backup RB (Michael Bush and Kendall Hunter) or some random WRs (D. Thomas and Decker, who I don't like playing the Steelers, and Denarious Moore, who is apparently hurt and also has Carson Palmer throwing him the ball). I could start Hunter and see if Gore gets hurt or pulled or something, but I'm leaning towards Bush hoping that Chicago uses him a lot in goal lines.

Khunt will get you some points. best RB on the niners, you'll see.... you'll all see!

Doorman

I look at all of these FF teams people are posting here, and it makes me realize how utterly fucked I probably am for my league this year. Boy I wish I could have this draft back.

squicken

SB winners have been increasingly random

http://www.footballperspective.com/are-nfl-playoff-outcomes-getting-more-random/

But what I really want to know is whether this number has changed over time. The logical comparison I wanted to make was pre- and post-free agency, but it turns out there is practically no difference. From 1978 through 1993, the Smart fan would pick winners at a 56.6% rate (6.8% better than his Dumb counterpart), and from 1995-2011, he picks at a 56.3% clip (6.2% better than the Dumb fan). That observed difference, less than a half a percentage point, can be chalked up completely to random variation, so there’s no evidence that the playoffs have been more or less random in the salary cap era.

However, if you compare pre-2005 to post-2005, you see a major difference that cannot be explained away by chance alone. From 2005-2011, the Smart fan would have picked only 53.2% of playoff games correctly; that’s a difference of 3.2 percent from 2005-11, vs. 6.6 percent over the course of the full sample!

Let me restate this finding: the difference between an intelligent prediction of NFL playoff games and a pure coinflip has been sliced in half in the last seven postseasons. In other words, the playoffs are more random now than they’ve ever been in the last 35 years, something we’ve all season anecdotally with the 2005 Steelers, both Giants championships (especially last year, when they were actually outscored during the regular season), and the 2008 Cardinals’ unexpected SB run, among others.

Methodology at the link

ZZMitch

Fantasy Leagues are dumb and all of you people talking about it should feel bad.

None of my friends like football, let alone fantasy football, because they are hockey-loving Canadians :((

Fantasy Leagues are dumb and all of you people talking about it should feel bad.

None of my friends like football, let alone fantasy football, because they are hockey-loving Canadians :((
Bucket, we know you arn't from Canada and you arn't banned. Stop using these alt accounts

SB winners have been increasingly random

http://www.footballperspective.com/are-nfl-playoff-outcomes-getting-more-random/

Methodology at the link
Hypothesis #1: the crackdown on defensive holding/DPI ever since the Colts/Pats clashes never really extended into the postseason. So we have effectively two slightly different rulesets, one for the regular season and one for the playoffs. Different ruleset = different game = regular season is less of an indicator of postseason success now than it ever was.

cajunator

Banned
Hypothesis #1: the crackdown on defensive holding/DPI ever since the Colts/Pats clashes never really extended into the postseason. So we have effectively two slightly different rulesets, one for the regular season and one for the playoffs. Different ruleset = different game = regular season is less of an indicator of postseason success now than it ever was.

Lots of wildcard teams are winning super bowls, or teams not favored to win.

UberTag

Super Bowl winners may be increasingly random but there's a new constant in the land of the NFL. The eventual NFC Champion will defeat the Buffalo Bills during the regular season.

It's happened the past SIX seasons...

Beginning with the 2006 season through the 2011 season, the eventual NFC Super Bowl representative beat Buffalo in the regular season:

2006 — Loss @ Chicago, 40-7
2007 — Loss v. NY Giants, 38-21
2008 — Loss @ Arizona, 41-17
2009 — Loss v. New Orleans, 27-7
2010 — Loss @ Green Bay, 34-7
2011 — Loss @ NY Giants, 27-24

This is with Dick Jauron, Perry Fewell and 5Chan as head coaches; Marv Levy, Nobody and Buddy Nix as GM; Trent Edwards, JP Losman and Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB. Through all this "quality," the streak endures.

Maybe Nate Silver can figure out of the odds of this, but they must be astronomically high.

The AFC East plays the NFC West this season. I predict the 49ers, Seahawks or Cardinals will make the Super Bowl. The road to New Orleans runs over the Buffalo Bills.
Good news for your 49ers & Seahawks fans!

Top Bottom