• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

Pimpwerx

Dolphins ran a play-action fake on Garrard. Made it seem like they were gonna keep him, but released him anyway. I ain't mad. PEACE.

brentech

Wow. Hard knocks still showing Chad Johnson because he's more entertaining than their team. Never ever seen hard knocks show a player that was cut episodes after it.

Snoop bought his Dolphins jersey?

dead.png

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Looking over that coverage map....why does the San Fran area get Indy @ Chicago, compared to the rest of the west coast? Is there some logic to this that I'm not aware of? Andrew Luck factor maybe?

Most likely Luck, they're hoping Stanford folks would tune in.

MechDX

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
With Texans over cap, they used their $1.6 million salary-cap credit from Redskins and Cowboys to get under it. Houston now in compliance.
about an hour ago

Thank you Jerry Jones!

brentech

Wish some team would be dumb enough to do a hard knocks type show all season.
Just too many things like showing practice and injuries that they probably don't want to do during the regular season.

I'm sure Jerry Jones would bite though....

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Not taking away anything from the Giants but that cover is so stupid. It tries to paint some kind of massive difference between the two organizations.

Giants went 9-7 last year. Jets went 8-8. Giants are a fringe playoff team this year just like the Jets.

Cagey

Banned
Not taking away anything from the Giants but that cover is so stupid. It tries to paint some kind of massive difference between the two organizations.

Giants went 9-7 last year. Jets went 8-8. Giants are a fringe playoff team this year just like the Jets.

The eternal NY sports media narrative is the Giants are the staid, stodgy, traditional, old-fashioned, classy team for the blueblood fans... and the Jets are the loud, braggart, obnoxious, comically inept little brother. It's never going to end. Ever. Same deal with the Yankees/Mets, and the inter-sport crossover flares up now and then (see: Francesa name dropping the Rich Kotite era during his Mets rant).

It's all stupid and provides little more than WFAN caller cannon fodder... but the Post does drop the fucking hammer when they rip on the Jets.

Pimpwerx

One organization has an elite QB, the other... yeah.
One organization is well known for a classy front office, the other...
One organization has a coach hated by the media and every year is threatened to be fired, the other has Rex Ryan.
One organization has put the fear of God into Tom Brady, the other is the Jets.

There IS a massive difference between the two organizations.

squicken

The Tabris team story: I started watching football 8 years ago (don't blame me for this, I'm Canadian, it doesn't come naturally to watch football).

I was memorized by one man, this guy (isn't he dreamy?)...

http://allthingsjennifer.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/peyton_manning_biography_3.jpg[/IG]

and I decided that's my team... and thus a hate began for this guy (isn't he ugly) as he was trying to bring dreamy Peyton down...

[IMG]http://swoonworthy.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/tom-brady-crying.jpg[/IG]

When I found out there was a brother and he was championing this amazing beat the shit out of you hard nosed team and that he was on a collision course with the enemy for Superbowl, this team became my second team (even though no one else I knew believed in them):

[IMG]http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/eli-manning-super-bowl-xlii.jpg[/IM]

And I was set on my teams. But as I started to watch football more and more (every game possible on Sunday), in 2009-2010, I started watching this amazing team that beat the shit out of you more than that 07-08 Giants and they fascinated me, so I made a pact with Ray Lewis that I would cheer them on as long as it didn't affect my Giants or Colts (now Broncos):

[IMG]http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2011/football/nfl/04/30/river.death.survivors.lewis.ravens.ap/ray-lewis-getty-story.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

I used to think you were a bad fan, but I for someone w/o a childhood affiliation, the Tabris life is the best life. Pick a different team in each conference and just enjoy the games. You're an inspiration

Tabris

Ugh, I just did my fantasy draft today and we did a 2 QB format, and QBs went by so quick that I had to take Big Ben, Carson Palmer and Russell Wilson. I'm going to play Big Ben and Russell Wilson first week.

I'm happy with everything else, a lot of it being risky (Andre Johnson, Mike Wallace, Adrian Peterson) and I'll need to do some drop/adds to handle a couple bye weeks since I don't have a backup D or K.

QB - Big Ben
QB - Russell Wilson
QB/Bench - Carson Palmer
WR - Andre Johnson
WR - Mike Wallace
WR - Demaryius Thomas
WR/Bench - Robert Meacham
WR/Bench - Sydney Rice
TE - Vernon Davis
TE/Bench - Jacob Tamme
RB - Chris Johnson
RB - Matt Forte
RB/Flex - Adrian Peterson
RB/Bench - Isaac Redman (Flex for Week 1 since Adrian won't be played as much Week 1)
K - Sabastian Janiwoski
D - Denver

squicken

Wow. Hard knocks still showing Chad Johnson because he's more entertaining than their team. Never ever seen hard knocks show a player that was cut episodes after it.

This was a really weak season. I think they must have realized how stupid they looked after that first episode, b/c each successive one seemed more and more sanitized

edit:

Eli vs Romo and Clutchiness

http://www.footballperspective.com/giants-cowboys-is-another-referendum-on-manning-and-romo/

As usual with that site, lots of math so click the link for the methodology

In any event, I don’t believe we can judge much from a small sample, which is why who the “clutch” quarterback of the day changes with the wind. The consistent takeaway is that Tony Romo has been an elite quarterback over the last five years, while Eli Manning has been an elite quarterback for one season. Yes, Manning has been great in the clutch — while Romo hasn’t played nearly as poorly as is portrayed — but that’s over a much smaller sample size. Manning does have the great 4th quarter comeback record, while Romo’s is less than stellar. But Romo’s 4th quarter comeback mark is much better than Aaron Rodgers’, who would be considered a choker if the media wanted to be consistent. The one positive for Romo is that if he does manage to win a Super Bowl, his legacy will change significantly, and he will then become a legitimate Hall of Fame candidate if he can sustain his past level of play for a few more seasons. John Elway, Len Dawson, Steve Young, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning were considered stats guys for much of their careers. Manning, Young and Elway were considered elite quarterbacks who just couldn’t win the big one, while many questioned whether Brees or Dawson were truly elite because of their lack of ultimate success. But all five quarterbacks eventually won Super Bowls in their 30s, and all are current or future Hall of Famers. At 32-years-old, the book is far from closed on Romo’s legacy.

cdyhybrid

Should've begged the Seahawks to do it. TO, Kellen Winslow Jr, Braylon Edwards, Richard Sherman, Pete, the QB competition...

Would've been great TV.

Fox318

Should've begged the Seahawks to do it. TO, Kellen Winslow Jr, Braylon Edwards, Richard Sherman, Pete, the QB competition...

Would've been great TV.

Yup.

Jets might as well could have done it. ESPN was already giving them round the clock coverage.

Top Bottom