• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

K-19

Banned
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/04/pfts-week-one-picks-3/

49ers at Packers

Florio’s take: When one of the best offenses meets one of the best defenses, the game will turn on how the other offense fares against the other defense. The Packers defense has improved just enough to hold serve at Lambeau Field in the season opener.

Florio’s pick: Packers 30, 49ers 27.

MDS’s take: The NFL schedule makers gave us a potential NFC Championship Game preview in Week One, and I see the Packers’ offense picking right up where they left off last year — and the Packers’ defense looking better.

MDS’s pick: Packers 27, 49ers 14.​

Bullshit!

Vesmir

Banned
An intriguing idea.

I'll see if I can find any good deals on Beastmode jerseys.
Join us. Born and raised in L.A., but where I'm at now is full of douchebag 49er fan and was too young for Raiders. Fuck San Diego and Arizona for similar non-sports reasons, and St. Louis is not west in any way
except their win-loss record
. Plus, Seattle fan is awesome, they love their football.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Join us. Born and raised in L.A., but where I'm at now is full of douchebag 49er fan and was too young for Raiders. Fuck San Diego and Arizona for similar non-sports reasons, and St. Louis is not west in any way
except their win-loss record
. Plus, Seattle fan is awesome, they love their football.

why not just be a Niner fan? theyve always been in Sf and they dont suck like the chargers. The rams were the OC team but lol rams. They used to send players to my school to talk and we would boo the shit out of them haha

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Best thing ever.

Simpson is definitely still partaking if this video is any evidence.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/...gs-Style/ae0bc528-f624-40d7-8ad0-81313fdc4044

So a pickle dog is a pickle, wrapped in cream cheese and then wrapped in pastrami. You need to get out of there, brother.

Goddamn. Lots of fanboy rage in that thread about the Samsung phone outselling the iPhone.

It's awesome. I wish some of those guys liked football.

Hunter S.

Unlike the bears, we have a good team, not a team that totally falls apart when one player goes down. Your team is trash and your front office and coaching staff are a joke
Haha... the bears got no o-line so history would repeat itself if Hanie was still there. I predict the bears will lose 3 and not 2 quarterbacks this year.

Mindlog

GG68B.jpg

Here kitty kitty. Let's get it on.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/04/pfts-week-one-picks-3/

49ers at Packers

Florio’s take: When one of the best offenses meets one of the best defenses, the game will turn on how the other offense fares against the other defense. The Packers defense has improved just enough to hold serve at Lambeau Field in the season opener.

Florio’s pick: Packers 30, 49ers 27.

MDS’s take: The NFL schedule makers gave us a potential NFC Championship Game preview in Week One, and I see the Packers’ offense picking right up where they left off last year — and the Packers’ defense looking better.

MDS’s pick: Packers 27, 49ers 14.​

Bullshit!

Sounds about right.

cajunator

Banned
If you actually sprayed a panther in the face with that dinky ass spray bottle, you'd get mauled.

Fitting, as a mauling is exactly what's in store for Tampa on Sunday.

Definitely dont see Tampa beating Carolina. Maybe in the second meeting, but the Panthers look like a much more complete team than the Bucs.

ari

Banned
Haha... the bears got no o-line so history would repeat itself if Hanie was still there. I predict the bears will lose 3 and not 2 quarterbacks this year.
Our o-line was also injured to all hell last year, let's not forget that.
Having to do 7 to 13 drop backs a pass didn't help our cause either. fuck martz
Hanie fucking sucks, nothing else to it.
it wasn't the o-line that hurt cutler.
The worst o-line in the league last year was the rams.

This o-line thing is really overblown, our line suck, average at best. Nothing more, nothing less.

I cant believe we are like 12 hours from kickoff. This offseason flew by. I am really hoping we will get much better football this year at the start. Last year it felt like a lot of teams were sloppy due to the lockout.

I guess that is what having summers off does for you. It fells like I just started my break a few days ago. I just saw that I am the only person picking the Panthers in the GAF survival league. I dont get that at all. TB is going to be beyond terrible this year. I think that might be the biggest blowout of the week.

eznark

Banned
he's playing it off so that when they're destroyed he doesn't have to seem shocked

and in the 1% chance that Rodgers doesn't feel like winning the game, he can NINERS BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH for the entire week

It's the cowards way to approach a game.

I find it really bizarre that everyone is just assuming the Packers defense will be better. I don't see it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I guess that is what having summers off does for you. It fells like I just started my break a few days ago. I just saw that I am the only person picking the Panthers in the GAF survival league. I dont get that at all. TB is going to be beyond terrible this year. I think that might be the biggest blowout of the week.

Doug Martin will have 150 yards and 3 touchdowns. He is destined for greatness as he is plugged in as my RB #2 for this week.

It's the cowards way to approach a game.

I find it really bizarre that everyone is just assuming the Packers defense will be better. I don't see it.

They cant be worse right. Plus werent a lot of their problems last year due to injuries, so that will atleast be better at the start.

I think the Packers D will be better if for no other reason then they will be a much better rushing team this year and that will allow them to control the ball more and give the D a rest from time to time. Dillion has had 3 straight 1000 yard season with the Bengals without much threat of a passing attack. He should have a much easier time running in GB.

eznark

Banned
I think the Packers D will be better if for no other reason then they will be a much better rushing team this year and that will allow them to control the ball more and give the D a rest from time to time. Dillion has had 3 straight 1000 yard season with the Bengals without much threat of a passing attack. He should have a much easier time running in GB.

I know that you meant Benson but how did you end up with Dillion??

Cagey

Banned
I don't see why anyone asssumes they will improve to just awful though. Especially losing one of their best LB's in the preseason.

I just don't think historically awful is sustainable year-to-year. The Packers could allow the 4th most passing yards in NFL history and still have improved.

I know that you meant Benson but how did you end up with Dillion??

No idea. I am not used to being up this early yet. I dont drink coffee so I am a zombie most mornings until lunch time. I knew they signed a RB from the Bengals and my brain just jumped back a player I guess.

Holy fuck that guy is complaining that they didnt look as good as they could have in the pre-season? They should totally trade Rodgers to the Eagles, they arent going to win with him if he cant even lead majestic drives in the preseason.

eznark

Banned

Lol, no. Bob McGinn thinks a bad defense matters. It doesn't. The only thing that matters in the NFL is the quarterback. As long as Rodgers plays well the Packers are the best team in football. The only reason the Packers lost last year was because he played like ass in two games.

My question wasn't "why do people think the Packers will be good" it's "why do people think the defense will be better."

13 wins is my prediction for this team. One of those losses will be with Harrell at the helm.

JABEE

No idea. I am not used to being up this early yet. I dont drink coffee so I am a zombie most mornings until lunch time. I knew they signed a RB from the Bengals and my brain just jumped back a player I guess.

Dillon also played on the Bengals for a long time before he went to New England.

I feel so sorry for Tannehill every time I look at the Dolphins' roster. I mean, who is going to step up and be our #1 receiver? Brian freaking Hartline? I hope Davone Bess is ready to have every pass that's thrown to a WR come his way.

The only thing that matters in the NFL is the quarterback.
I know this is probably implied but you gotta give the receivers and O-line some credit too, right?

Holy fuck that guy is complaining that they didnt look as good as they could have in the pre-season? They should totally trade Rodgers to the Eagles, they arent going to win with him if he cant even lead majestic drives in the preseason.

McGinn gets like this every year. Even if you're a talented team the odds are slim that you make it to the Super Bowl, so sure...maybe they don't make it there again. But the way he wrote that you;d think this was the Miami Dolphins.

And eznark you better be wrong about the defense. I've been dreaming of an at least competent defense all off season. :(

eznark

Banned
I know this is probably implied but you gotta give the receivers and O-line some credit too, right?

No, it is not. I don't imply things. I state things in white and white. Good receivers and a competent offensive line are needed to supplement weaknesses in a QB. In today's NFL neither are necessary. Great QB's make lines and wide outs look good.

And eznark you better be wrong about the defense. I've been dreaming of an at least competent defense all off season. :(

I obviously hope I am wrong too, but we got a lot of turnovers last year so it's not like we were unlucky. I just don't see where the defense got markedly better.

The one shining hope is moving Woodson off of the corner and into a rover position. Assuming the revolving door of off side corner is competent, that will allow Capers to do a lot of interesting things on the defensive side of the ball.

Everything this year hangs on Burnett and Raji....that doesn't give me a lot of hope!

Hai guyz. I'm in a bad QB league and I wanna know which teams have the best chance of having a shitty QB depth chart. I was going to pick the Dolphins but Tannehill might have a breakout season

eznark

Banned
Hai guyz. I'm in a bad QB league and I wanna know which teams have the best chance of having a shitty QB depth chart. I was going to pick the Dolphins but Tannehill might have a breakout season

As in he will break out of Dolphins jail and go to an actual professional football team? Otherwise, they are a safe pick.

No, it is not. I don't imply things. I state things in white and white. Good receivers and a competent offensive line are needed to supplement weaknesses in a QB. In today's NFL neither are necessary. Great QB's make lines and wide outs look good.
So you'd be okay with trading every starting offensive player for the Packers minus Rodgers for every starting offensive player for the Dolphins? I mean, surely they at least make some difference?

I don't disagree with you in that QB's make lines and wide outs look good, though. That's why "star" receivers always suck on the Dolphins, they don't have anyone to throw them the ball. "Wes Welker" syndrome.

eznark

Banned
So you'd be okay with trading every starting offensive player for the Packers minus Rodgers for every starting offensive player for the Dolphins? I mean, surely they at least make some difference?

I don't disagree with you in that QB's make lines and wide outs look good, though. That's why "star" receivers always suck on the Dolphins, they don't have anyone to throw them the ball. "Wes Welker" syndrome.

Yes, 100%. I guaranty the Dolphins + Rodgers are better than the Packers + Tannehill. Without even a minor hesitation.

The Dolphins is kind of a bad example if you're trying to "gotcha" me though, since they are going to basically run the Packers offense.

squicken

Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Greg Jennings are all 2nd round picks. Finley is a 3rd. So did Ted Thompson prioritize the receiving position b/c he thinks Rodgers needed his weaknesses supplemented, or does he believe differently than you do?

eznark

Banned
Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Greg Jennings are all 2nd round picks. Finley is a 3rd. So did Ted Thompson prioritize the receiving position b/c he thinks Rodgers needed his weaknesses supplemented, or does he believe differently than you do?

Probably both. I don't really think anyone completely agree with me on this. Did I claim he feels the same as me?

They were the best players available regardless of need. This draft is the first time he has gone "need" in the first two rounds. Every other year he has drafted for value and taken guys that have generally slipped.

Plus, you may as well draft someone. To me picking for offense was a way to bolster Rodgers' strengths, not overcome his weaknesses. If you wanted to cover for Rodgers weaknesses you'd draft nothing but linemen, not speed guys and deep threats like Nelson and Cobb.

Yes, 100%. I guaranty the Dolphins + Rodgers are better than the Packers + Tannehill. Without even a minor hesitation.
Haha, that's not what I said, though. I'd possibly agree with you on that point (although the Dolphins are a special kind of terrible so I'm not sure). I'm just surprised that you think an o-line and receivers make absolutely no difference whatsoever, like they are all just completely and totally interchangeable. It seems a little drastic to me but I guess I can see why you'd feel that way given the direction the NFL has gone in the past few years.

Anyway, good to see that the Dolphins are still the on the butt end of all NFL related jokes, I was worried we might have lost that title after actually winning some games last year.

Top Bottom