• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

eznark

Banned
Haha, that's not what I said, though. I'd possibly agree with you on that point (although the Dolphins are a special kind of terrible so I'm not sure). I'm just surprised that you think an o-line and receivers make absolutely no difference whatsoever, like they are all just completely and totally interchangeable. It seems a little drastic to me but I guess I can see why you'd feel that way given the direction the NFL has gone in the past few years.

Anyway, good to see that the Dolphins are still the on the butt end of all NFL related jokes, I was worried we might have lost that title after actually winning some games last year.

Colts

I'm not arguing that a QB isn't the most important player on an NFL team. Let me put it this way: I think the Packers offense + Aaron Rodgers would be better than the Dolphins offense + Aaron Rodgers. It seems crazy to me to suggest that both would be completely equal.

squicken

Probably both. I don't really think anyone completely agree with me on this. Did I claim he feels the same as me?

They were the best players available regardless of need. This draft is the first time he has gone "need" in the first two rounds. Every other year he has drafted for value and taken guys that have generally slipped.

Plus, you may as well draft someone. To me picking for offense was a way to bolster Rodgers' strengths, not overcome his weaknesses. If you wanted to cover for Rodgers weaknesses you'd draft nothing but linemen, not speed guys and deep threats like Nelson and Cobb.

I use Thompson b/c he is one of the best in the biz. Jerry Reese is pretty good and he has taken Nicks and Randle in the first round. Both of those guys have good QBs leading their teams but seem to think it's better to have them throw to top talents than 5th round picks

Harrison and Wayne were first round picks. Polian drafted high on the OL but lost his touch at the end. The line didn't really go to shit until the last few years. A QB can excel with a shaky line or shaky WRs, but not both

Puddles

Banned
why not just be a Niner fan? theyve always been in Sf and they dont suck like the chargers. The rams were the OC team but lol rams. They used to send players to my school to talk and we would boo the shit out of them haha

I can't root for San Francisco teams. Too much bad blood between the Dodgers and Giants.

eznark

Banned
I'm not arguing that a QB isn't the most important player on an NFL team. Let me put it this way: I think the Packers offense + Aaron Rodgers would be better than the Dolphins offense + Aaron Rodgers. It seems crazy to me to suggest that both would be completely equal.

It would take a year and maybe there wouldn't be records set but a lot of that is luck. The Packers receivers had a fairly middling drop rate, it's not like they were doing Rodgers a billion favors. Jones, Finley and even Driver were real hit and miss on catch rate. Nelson is a fucking velcro wonder, but I think a lot of that is because he was targeted when he was open and not asked to get contested balls like Finley and Driver who play over the middle more.

Does the surrounding talent matter? Yes, of course it does to an extent. Defenses collapse late game and cost great QB's wins all the time. A blown assignment will result in an overtime loss to the Cardinals. But that stuff is flukey and can't really be personnelled against.

You do everything in the world to get a great QB and the rest of the stuff will work itself out.

And fuck the running game.

Harrison and Wayne were first round picks. Polian drafted high on the OL but lost his touch at the end. The line didn't really go to shit until the last few years. A QB can excel with a shaky line or shaky WRs, but not both

And Reggie Wayne disappeared without Manning. That was my point. All WR's are shaky except Fitzgerald.

It would take a year and maybe there wouldn't be records set but a lot of that is luck. The Packers receivers had a fairly middling drop rate, it's not like they were doing Rodgers a billion favors. Jones, Finley and even Driver were real hit and miss on catch rate. Nelson is a fucking velcro wonder, but I think a lot of that is because he was targeted when he was open and not asked to get contested balls like Finley and Driver who play over the middle more.

Does the surrounding talent matter? Yes, of course it does to an extent. Defenses collapse late game and cost great QB's wins all the time. A blown assignment will result in an overtime loss to the Cardinals. But that stuff is flukey and can't really be personnelled against.

You do everything in the world to get a great QB and the rest of the stuff will work itself out.

And fuck the running game.
I don't necessarily disagree with any of this. It's hard to argue against the importance of a top tier QB in the year 2012. I definitely agree that any great offense can go from great to absolute garbage if they lose their star QB.

This stuff is the reason why I'm glad the Dolphins finally picked another QB in the first round. I'm not thrilled that it was Tannehill since I don't really have much faith in him but at least they're trying.

Semi-related: Why do any teams think QBs who can run really well are more valuable than a pocket passer who just sits back and nails his throws? How many more SBs do those type of QBs have to win before people stop worrying so much about how "dynamic" a QB is? I just don't get it. Even with a guy like Michael Vick in his prime, I don't see him leading a team to a SB win.

Packers D will be better than last year by default. Defense in general in the nfl was trash last year, save for a few shining examples (Texans and Niners).

That said, their D will still be garbage. What changed over last season? They lost more than they gained. Love reading shit like "Dom Capers won't allow a bad defense twice". Like he would have allowed it the first time if he had any way to stop it?

squicken

And Reggie Wayne disappeared without Manning. That was my point. All WR's are shaky except Fitzgerald.

Just admit you were wrong. Manning's last year they were already using Garcon and Collie more as Reggie had lost a step.

Also

iQKi9hR9gKFMh.JPG

...lost the Super Bowl. Not following you.
Well I'm just saying, they did moderately okay in the playoffs for a team with no running game and a pretty terrible defense. Don't think I'm standing up for them or anything, I hate the Patriots.

I think the Pats are more of an outlier then a real example. The AFC as a whole was really down and they still needed a huge amount of luck to get to the SB.
Yeah, I'll agree with you there. I definitely think a solid defense is still important these days but I'm not as convinced about a running game. Plus, if a team is good enough at spreading the field thanks to a star QB they will usually have a running game just by the fact that the defense is always on their toes. The '07 Pats were always picking up massive yardage on draw plays but I think it was mostly due to the fact that their passing game was terrifyingly good.

bionic77

Dont let NFL Pundits and Eznark fool you. You need running and defense in the playoffs. Not so much in the regular season.
Defense yes, but not so sure on the running game. We won in 2008 when our running game was so bad we literally could not get a yard on anyone.

I think playing outdoors hurts the Packers offense late in the year. They would really benefit from having a dome and home field the way the Rams and Colts did.

Bowser

The Dolphins were higher ranked in rushing yards, defensive passing yards, and defensive rushing yards. Why didn't they win the SB? :(

I'm just responding to Deacon's (false) claim that you need a running game to win in the playoffs (as much as it pains me to say as a Panthers fan seeing as we've invested so much in the running game).

And before Deacon responds with "I said the postseason!", the Giants averaged 3.5 ypc in the postseason (102 carries, 358 yds), the exact same figure they averaged in the regular season.

I'm just responding to Deacon's (false) claim that you need a running game to win in the playoffs (as much as it pains me to say as a Panthers fan seeing as we've invested so much in the running game).

And before Deacon responds with "I said the postseason!", the Giants averaged 3.5 ypc in the postseason (102 carries, 358 yds), the exact same figure they averaged in the regular season.
Yeah, I know. I was just asking a rhetorical question that backs up what you were saying. The answer to the question, Chad Henne and Matt Moore, still stings though. :(

Bowser said:
Edit: What was their yards per game for the playoffs compared to the regular season Bowser?
The Giants were ranked last in the league in rushing so would it really prove anything if they improved slightly in the playoffs?

Yeah, I know. I was just asking a rhetorical question that backs up what you were saying. The answer to the question, Chad Henne and Matt Moore, still stings though. :(

The Giants were ranked last in the league in rushing so would it really prove anything if they improved slightly in the playoffs?

It could be worse, you could have Sanchez :(

Also the Giants were hot in the playoffs because their defense got healthy again.

What? Giants averaged 4.2 yards in the postseason. Your numbers are wrong.

BigAT

The Giants rushing in the postseason wasn't good. It just wasn't as god awful as it was in the regular season so it seemed like this HUGE revelation, but it really wasn't.

I have them at 4.16 yards/attempt in the postseason, which would be have been tied for 19th in the regular season. Not even close to an elite rushing attack.

Some stats to enlighten the difference between the Giants regular season and post season.

NY Giants 2011 defense

Regular season:

Ranked 27th
25 pts/gm allowed
376.4 yds/game allowed
Total Points allowed: 400

Post season:

Ranked 3rd
14 pts/gm allowed
328 yds/game allowed
Total Points allowed: 56

NY Giants 2011 Offense:

Regular Season:

Ranked 8th
24.6 pts/gm
385.1 yds/gm
Total Points scored: 394
Rushing avg yds/gm: 89.2
Rushing avg/carry: 3.5

Post Season Offense:

Ranked 3rd
25.5 pts/gm
402.5 yds/gm
Total Points scored: 102
Rushing avg yds/gm: 116.5
Rushing avg/carry: 4.2

Eli Manning Post Season stats:

Completion percentage: 65%
Attempts per game: 40.1
Yards: 1,219
Average per pass play: 7.5 yards
Yards per game average: 304.8
TD: 9
INT: 1
QB Rating: 103.3

-----------------------------------

Supporting the argument that some are stating that the run game improved - they would be right. It certainly did during the playoffs. The average per carry certainly showed a nice increase to help keep the team somewhat more balanced.

That having been said, in support of Eznark's claim - look at the attempts per game for Eli. Look at his statistics during the post season. I would say his play directly along with the much improved defense are bigger markers for why the Giants won the Super Bowl over a relatively small improvement to the running game.

Tieing into that is the point differential difference in the regular season and post season.

The Giants rushing in the postseason wasn't good. It just wasn't as god awful as it was in the regular season so it seemed like this HUGE revelation, but it really wasn't.

I have them at 4.16 yards/attempt in the postseason, which would be have been tied for 19th in the regular season. Not even close to an elite rushing attack.

No one ever said elite but improved. This whole discussion was about is a running game important and I just pointed out that the Giants did better once they started running better.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
wooo football tonight. fuck yea.

when did FMT get his name changed? oh hell we got two frenche's in here? wth

eznark

Banned
Just admit you were wrong. Manning's last year they were already using Garcon and Collie more as Reggie had lost a step.

Also

iQKi9hR9gKFMh.JPG

Wrong about what? Reggie Wayne was never terribly great. Sloppy routes and uneven effort marred his entire career.

Are you claiming Garcon and Collie are good?

The Colts went from 10-6 to 2-14 and really only lost one impact player. What position did he play?

Supporting the argument that some are stating that the run game improved - they would be right. It certainly did during the playoffs. The average per carry certainly showed a nice increase to help keep the team somewhat more balanced.

That having been said, in support of Eznark's claim - look at the attempts per game for Eli. Look at his statistics during the post season. I would say his play directly along with the much improved defense are bigger markers for why the Giants won the Super Bowl over a relatively small improvement to the running game.

Tieing into that is the point differential difference in the regular season and post season.

The point i'm trying to make is that you need to be a complete team. The Giants weren't amazing with the run in the postseason, but they were better than they were in the regular season and could go to it when needed. This was in addition to their defense stiffening and Eli going into 5th gear. All three thing combined for them to come out on top.

Having an Elite quarterback is necessary for prolonged postseason success, but you're not riding one all the way to a ring alone.

The Giants were the middle of the pack statistically in the postseaon. Nobody said anything about needing elite running.

eznark, how do you think the Broncos will do this year? I'm curious if you're predicting huge things for them given how much you value the QB postion, although I don't know what your feelings are on Manning's abilities these days.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Having an Elite quarterback is necessary for prolonged postseason success, but you're not riding one all the way to a ring alone.
Dan Marino refuses to let me completely disagree, although I think the running game is much less important now than it was back in his heyday.

Bowser

You're correct, I accidentally took the Falcons rushing total rather than the Giants for that game. However, that game was an outlier (31 carries, 172 yards, 5.5 ypc). In the three subsequent games, they averaged 3.6 ypc (81 carries, 294 yards). I think the entirety of the regular season performance and the postseason performance excluding the ATL game is a bigger sample size than the one game where their rushing attack looked potent.

Yards per game went from 89 to 116, I would say that is a big difference. I think they also controlled the ball better which helped keep their defense fresh.

As I said, it's because of the Falcons game (outlier). Without that game, their postseason ypg was 98.

eznark

Banned
Guess which game the Packers had the most rushing yards in all season last year.

eznark, how do you think the Broncos will do this year? I'm curious if you're predicting huge things for them given how much you value the QB postion, although I don't know what your feelings are on Manning's abilities these days.

If Manning is healthy they win the division going away. I'm not sold on him being healthy. Not a terribly bold prediction!

eznark

Banned
You need a solid rushing attack to win in the playoffs!!!!!!!

lol

Rushing yards:

Packers - 147
Giants - 95

Yards per carry:

Packers - 6.4
Giants - 3.5

Give me a break. The Packers lost because they ran the ball too much and Rodgers played like shit and Kuhn is a kunhnt.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I've made a huge mistake.

Somehow on my draft last night I ended up taking pretty much all the rookie RBs (Richardson, Wilson, Martin) This does not bode well...

I did get MJD in the fourth round though.

Packers D will be better than last year by default. Defense in general in the nfl was trash last year, save for a few shining examples (Texans and Niners).

That said, their D will still be garbage. What changed over last season? They lost more than they gained. Love reading shit like "Dom Capers won't allow a bad defense twice". Like he would have allowed it the first time if he had any way to stop it?

The way our team is run a lot of what we've gained thus far is still just unknown as our defense is going to look pretty different this year with all of the rookies. We're banking a lot of our success on our draft picks, just like we usually do. But it's even moreso this year than in recent years past.

Lot of room for growth with all of the rookies, but also the potential to be a year of development.

Top Bottom