• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

You need a solid rushing attack to win in the playoffs!!!!!!!

lol

Rushing yards:

Packers - 147
Giants - 95

Yards per carry:

Packers - 6.4
Giants - 3.5

Give me a break. The Packers lost because they ran the ball too much and Rodgers played like shit and Kuhn is a kunhnt.

I dont think anyone is saying that you have to have a great running game but it definitely helps. The Pats showed you can get to a SB without even trying to run the ball. Look at the Eagles last year. Vick was hurt for 5 games and didnt play well in the other games, and yet the Eagles had the 4th best offense, and if their D hadnt blown 5 4th quarter leads they could have been a playoff team.

Smokey

Eagles are 9 pt favorites against the Browns...and Patriots only 6 pt favorites over titans. The latter seems like an easy play to me. Texans are 12 pt favorites over the dolphins but that might be a trap..

Wise ones what do yall think

Bowser

I did!? Show me.

While you didn't say those exact words, it's sort of implied - "You need running AND defense in the playoffs." No one's going to think you meant "You need [mediocre] running AND defense in the playoffs." At worst, it's implied that you need good running.

Eagles are 9 pt favorites against the Browns...and Patriots only 6 pt favorites over titans. The latter seems like an easy play to me. Texans are 12 pt favorites over the dolphins but that might be a trap..

Texans are the most overrated team in the league

squicken

Wrong about what? Reggie Wayne was never terribly great. Sloppy routes and uneven effort marred his entire career.

Are you claiming Garcon and Collie are good?

The Colts went from 10-6 to 2-14 and really only lost one impact player. What position did he play?

You are changing the topic here. I didn't say QBs were not the most important thing. I just disputed your claim that great QBs didn't need talented WRs to thow the ball to

I hate to take big favorites on the road but people I know that bet on football always say to bet with the money. The Eagles opened at 8 and it went up to 9 so I would go with the Eagles. Texans seem like a lock, I think the Fins will be bad and they are really going to struggle at first while their QB learns on the job. I wouldnt touch that Pats game at all.

Adam Schefter said:
As @MikeReiss reports, Patriots are hosting free-agent TE Michael Hoomanawanui (Rams). Expectation is, if he passes physical, he will sign.

2roSE.gif

MORE TEs! JIIIPPIIEEEEE!

eznark

Banned
You are changing the topic here. I didn't say QBs were not the most important thing. I just disputed your claim that great QBs didn't need talented WRs to thow the ball to

I never said that. I said that great QB's make great wide outs. Obviously you need some talent, I assumed we were at least working from a foundation of common sense. You couldn't throw 4'11'' Crow out there and assume Rodgers would still be amazing. Rodgers would absolutely be successful with the Rams wide outs though.

Great wide receivers (there are exceptions to ever rule, Fitz!) disappear without a great QB. Great QB's on the other hand, don't have the same problem. Welker went to Brady and overnight doubled his production. Javon Walker left Favre and overnight his friend got murdered in his car.

Coincidence?

Wrong about what? Reggie Wayne was never terribly great. Sloppy routes and uneven effort marred his entire career.

Are you claiming Garcon and Collie are good?

The Colts went from 10-6 to 2-14 and really only lost one impact player. What position did he play?

2010 Colts point differential was 101 less than GB who was also 10-6. The Colts cast around Manning was already deteriorating.

No improvement or further slippage going into 2011 combined with replacing Manning with not mediocre QB play but garbage and that is how you have the worst record in football.

While you didn't say those exact words, it's sort of implied - "You need running AND defense in the playoffs." No one's going to think you meant "You need [mediocre] running AND defense in the playoffs." At worst, it's implied that you need good running.
i said you need running. You guys are adding the outliers 'Elite' and 'great'. This is what I said specifically:

The point i'm trying to make is that you need to be a complete team. The Giants weren't amazing with the run in the postseason, but they were better than they were in the regular season and could go to it when needed. This was in addition to their defense stiffening and Eli going into 5th gear. All three thing combined for them to come out on top.

Having an Elite quarterback is necessary for prolonged postseason success, but you're not riding one all the way to a ring alone.

eznark

Banned
2010 Colts point differential was 101 less than GB who was also 10-6. The Colts cast around Manning was already deteriorating.

No improvement or further slippage going into 2011 combined with replacing Manning with not mediocre QB play but garbage and that is how you have the worst record in football.

Colts scored more points in 2010 than 2009. Who gives a fuck how they compared to GB?

Bowser

I hate to take big favorites on the road but people I know that bet on football always say to bet with the money. The Eagles opened at 8 and it went up to 9 so I would go with the Eagles. Texans seem like a lock, I think the Fins will be bad and they are really going to struggle at first while their QB learns on the job. I wouldnt touch that Pats game at all.

What? I thought people always hate siding with the public, because Vegas always knows more than the public?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

That's really low for the Patriots unless the Titans are out to get revenge for that game they played in 2009.

Bowser

i said you need running. You guys are adding the outliers 'Elite' and 'great'. This is what I said specifically:

But I'm saying your claim that the Giants were better with the run in the postseason than the regular season is false and skewed by one game against the Falcons in which the Giants basically just ran out the clock in the 4th quarter (13 of 31 carries in the 4th).

But I'm saying your claim that the Giants were better with the run in the postseason than the regular season is false and skewed by one game against the Falcons in which the Giants basically just ran out the clock in the 4th quarter (13 of 31 carries in the 4th).

It's very clearly not false. You can't just throw out games that disagree with your point.

Regardless, i also said you need defense but oddly nobody's disagreeing there.

Smokey

Texans are the most overrated team in the league

I'm going to entertain you this one time. Tell me exactly how they are overrated. 2nd best defense after your 9ers, top 3 RB, top 3 WR, very good TEs..so id like to hear how they are overrated besides you being you.

That pats game seems like a gimme to me. Only 6 pt favs unless I'm missing something. Sanjuro are pats not playing all of their players or something?

That's really low for the Patriots unless the Titans are out to get revenge for that game they played in 2009.

Yeah I'm trying to find out info because that seems too good of a play.

gutshot

Late to the party, but I wanted to say, kudos on a fantastic OP.

I'm so ready for this season to start. Can't wait for Vick to get hurt in week 3 and Nick Foles to take us to the promised land!

Bowser

It's very clearly not false. You can't just throw out games that disagree with your point.

Regardless, i also said you need defense but oddly nobody's disagreeing there.

I'm sorry, I didn't know that 1 games' worth of data trumps the other 18 for when you need to make your point.

Just wait until we unleash Tom at the tight end position.

That sounds kinky.

I get hard just thinking about Brady catching a pass over the middle in front of Harison.

Late to the party, but I wanted to say, kudos on a fantastic OP.

I'm so ready for this season to start. Can't wait for Vick to get hurt in week 3 and Nick Foles to take us to the promised land!

Wow another Eagles fan?

There are some good dolphin memories too. Cheer up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wmf4ew9-Io
I remember going to sleep after the 3rd quarter of that game and waking up to the ESPN.com headline, "Jet fueled comeback." It's probably my least favorite memory in Dolphins history ever.

Joke's on you though, the Dolphins have reached the threshold of being terrible for long enough that I am no longer phased by the jokes and bad memories. I have pretty tame hopes for the Dolphins these days; pounding the Jets at least once a year is usually enough for me. If that fails I just revel in the glory of seeing the Jets fail at someone else's hand.

Bowser

4 games, not 18. And you're forgiven.

Even if you keep it to 4, 3 out of 4 at 3.6 ypc represents 75% of the playoffs and is unquestionably a shitty running average. But whatever, I'm not convincing you and you're not convincing me, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Greg

The Packers lost because they ran the ball too much and Rodgers played like shit and Kuhn is a kunhnt.
somehow got signed out of GAF on my Vita and my login attempts always fail, so I had to turn my laptop on just to :jnc at this

Even if you keep it to 4, 3 out of 4 at 3.6 ypc represents 75% of the playoffs and is unquestionably a shitty running average. But whatever, I'm not convincing you and you're not convincing me, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You're right, we'll never agree, because any argument in which you have to discount playoff games in an argument about a playoff run makes no sense. Throw out the Giants best running day and you have to throw out all opposing teams best day as well.

Top Bottom