• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 2 |OT| The Replacements

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Redskins long snapper broke arm during game, took painkiller and went back out:

A day before the Raiders special teams revealed their new speciality – long snapping the ball into the turf – the Washington Redkins were having their own kicking-game crisis.

Their long snapper, Nick Sundberg, got his arm caught between a helmet and a facemask during a punt that was blocked by the Saints and returned for a touchdown. Sundberg knew it was broken – he had had fractured the same bone in high school – and doctors on the sidelines urged him to get an X-ray. Instead, he simply asked for a painkiller.

And then went back onto the field.

He snapped the ball four times for punts, twice for field goals and twice for extra points in the second half of Washington’s 40-32 win over New Orleans. Not once did he make his punter field a grounder on two or three hops – which is probably what Shane Lechler dreamt about last night in a cold sweat.

Sundberg’s pain must have been excrutiating.

“It was terrible, but I felt like I really didn’t have another option,” he said.

Where does Sundberg gets his off-the-charts pain threshold? Well, it might have something to do with his upbringing. Unlike most children, he regularly volunteered to be shocked with a Taser.

Rick Chandler of NBC Sports notes that the Washington Post reported last season that Sundberg’s mom works at a company that makes tasers:

“First time I ever did it, I was 9. It was Bring-Your-Kid-to-Work day. My mom’s coworkers were messing with me and said, ‘You gonna take a hit today?’ And I said ‘Yeah!’ just trying to be cool or whatever, and my mom said, ‘Yeah, do it.’ I was like, ‘What?’ the only reason why I said yeah was because I was thinking she wasn’t going to let me do it. Sure enough, she did it.

“They got me twice that day. It hurts. Every time they come out with a new one, I’ve tried it. Except for this last one because I haven’t been around there a lot. But it hurts a lot. It completely incapacitates you. Usually it’s a five-second run time. All your muscles lock up. When we did it, we tried to do it as safely as possible. We’d have two guys stand there so you don’t face-plant. But the second it’s off, it’s off, and you’re like, ‘What did I just do?’ there’s no pain or anything. That’s why I was able to keep going back to it over and over again.”

Despite his ironman performance Sunday, Sundberg now must wear a bulky cast and will be out of commission for several weeks. The Redskins reportedly signed former Indianapolis Colts veteran Justin Snow as a temporary replacement.

No word yet on whether the Raiders will replace backup snapper Travis “I’m just a linebacker” Goethel, who was clearly not ready to fill in for injured starter Jon Condo.

eznark

Banned

JAY_CUTLER_SIDELINE.jpg

Oh he definitely said elite a fews times. It is amazing how much a game will change peoples opinions, then again I watched the Ravens 3rd pre-season game and the Ravens announcers kept saying he was as good as Manning in his prime so I guess this was expected.

I would absolutely put Flacco up there with
Archie
Manning in his prime. Also you should be excited to be facing the Ravens. Last time they met they gave your boy Kolb his first chance to see some action and they just may do the same for Foles. :)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
FootballOusiders already using the All-22 footage, they breakdown the 49ers OL play against GB:

http://footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2012/word-muth-49ers-packers

Muth091312-3.jpg

The Packers were in a base 3-4 over front. That meant the nose tackle was shaded to the tight end side, and the weakside defensive end was playing three-technique. The 49ers ran a basic weak outside zone to the left. The play was basic, but the execution was flawless.

FB8Tp.jpg

The first thing that jumped out at me is they got the center, Goodwin, to reach the playside three-technique (highlighted to illustrate how far he is from the center at the snap). Obviously, Iupati helps by blowing up the defensive end’s outside shoulder, but for a center to get his helmet outside on a non-stunting three-tech is really impressive -- some guards struggle to reach three-techniques. After Iupati secures the down man on Goodwin, he climbs to second level for the weakside middle linebacker.

Just outside of the combo block is Joe Staley, who releases to the safety immediately since he’s uncovered and the combo is accounting for the weakside middle linebacker. Staley latches on and drives his man all the way to the 1-yard-line. Staley did a nice job all day on the second level.

The last and most important block comes from fullback Bruce Miller. He goes to kick out on Matthews at the line of scrimmage. Matthews tried to jump inside and make a play in the backfield, but Miller redirected with him and allowed Hunter to bounce outside.

Also, of note is Alex Boone’s nice cut block on the nose (highlighted). It probably didn’t matter, since Hunter bounced it anyway, but it was a perfect cut. It could’ve been a touchdown-springing block if Hunter took it between the tackles.

It was a simple play design, with a personnel wrinkle, that was blocked as well as it could have been. Just good old-fashioned Budweiser-swilling ball right there, folks. I could’ve highlighted any number of plays that were run just as efficiently, which says all you need to know about how well the 49ers line played.

I would absolutely put Flacco up there with
Archie
Manning in his prime. Also you should be excited to be facing the Ravens. Last time they met they gave your boy Kolb his first chance to see some action and they just may do the same for Foles. :)

Kolb's first game was against the Lions in 2007. I 08 he played against the Rams and Steelers before coming that game against the Ravens.

THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 13TH
CHI @ GB

SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 16TH
TB @ NYG
OAK @ MIA
HOU @ JAC
CLE @ CIN
KC @ BUF
BAL @ PHI
NO @ CAR
ARI @ NE
MIN @ IND
WAS @ STL
DAL @ SEA
NYJ @ PIT
TEN @ SD
DET @ SF

MONDAY SEPTEMBER 17TH
DEN @ ATL

LJ11

GameRewind App had terrible reviews on the App Store, downloaded it to check it out, it's fucking brilliant. It has a telestrator, can save clips, pics. But it doesn't have Air Play so lets all trash it.

Top Bottom