• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 2 |OT| The Replacements

This option is out. I don't want my wife to be happy while I'm gone, there must be tears.

You can also send your kids to that school Harry Potter went to, they stay there all year. Then you just have to frame your wife, make it look like she commited a crime that forces her to spend 8 months in jail.

When they both come back just act like you never left home.

Fox318

ibeEDWjQYru41.png

if33Pm9VegLvg.png

iK9kBEstD9k24.png

itg49awrHoaJC.png

iqdFp70ZClU8f.png

Yes I actually get the Jets game this week!!!

Slo

You can also send your kids to that school Harry Potter went to, they stay there all year. Then you just have to frame your wife, make it look like she commited a crime that forces her to spend 8 months in jail.

When they both come back just act like you never left home.

On second thought, I'm staying. If Europe was worth seeing, then Europeans wouldn't have cobbled together ricketty ass ships and blindly sailed West hoping to fall right off the end of the Earth. Luckily for you lemming-ass motherfuckers, you ran smack dab into the middle of the good ol' USA, and turned your lives around.

AMERICA. FUCK YEAH.

Fox318

Also am I the only person who hate snapbacks?

Maybe I'm starting to look old but fitted was where its at when I was younger. I feel like this is an attempt to get people to like hats that are cheaper to make and sell to every head size.

another week where i dont have to be jack sparrow for the steelers game

Monday-Saturday

jakncoke

Banned

Maybe I'm starting to look old but fitted was where its at when I was younger. I feel like this is an attempt to get people to like hats that are cheaper to make and sell to every head size.

Monday-Saturday

ok

I hate people that where them around here. they dont even fucking take the sticker off!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Oh great. California gets to suffer through Raiders Dolphins. Ill have to find a place to watch the Ravens/Eagles

Fox318

ok

I hate people that where them around here. they dont even fucking take the sticker off!

The only sticker I will leave on is the hologram.I do like some of the snap back designs but they should sell them as fitted caps and make them feel better. Often times the stitching is shitty and the design just feels like it is screen printed on.

Also I understand having different color options but if they start to mimic other teams its stupid like:

3HBpi.jpg

the only hat I wear is my cheesehead
That's not a hat. Its a bowl and cup holder.

Seda

You need to get Red Zone. It's the best thing to happen to tv football broadcasting.

I got it this year (it's $5 a month with Comcast, but goes up to $8 after the first season).

It's changes everything. Last week switching between the end of the ARI/SEA game and the SF/GB game was amazing.

Mrbob

I got it this year (it's $5 a month with Comcast, but goes up to $8 after the first season).

It's changes everything. Last week switching between the end of the ARI/SEA game and the SF/GB game was amazing.

Yup. Red Zone is amazing at always switching to the important aspects of all games. It's especially nice when I don't get a local broadcast of the Bears game. Red Zone will stay on top of the action and always be there when something is worth watching.

Fox318

Watching this Tebow thing now.

I still think that Focus on the Family commercial is a mark on his record but the show is nothing but praise for him.

SUPREME1

Banned
The only sticker I will leave on is the hologram.I do like some of the snap back designs but they should sell them as fitted caps and make them feel better. Often times the stitching is shitty and the design just feels like it is screen printed on.

Also I understand having different color options but if they start to mimic other teams its stupid like:

3HBpi.jpg

That's not a hat. Its a bowl and cup holder.

Same here. Under the brim.

Fox318

What makes people think that Peanuts(the comic strip) would make a person want to buy a product as morbid as life insurance?

You want people to buy life insurence? Have them read A Raisin in the Sun.

Alright Packers-GAF, just All-22'd our pathetic defeat. Here are my findings, mostly concentrated on defense (because offense is boring
YYvCJ.gif
):

1st half:

-Hawk was picked on extensively. It's one thing to make jokes about Capers asking LBs to cover WRs, but if an LB can't play a god damned zone your defense has bigger troubles. Hawk can't cover.

-Rush defense woes. Too many guys wussing out, having a chance to blow up the play (not make a tackle, but take out a blocker or two and the running lane), and just ... backing up. DJ Smith was the worst offender, being a goddamn linebacker. Tramon Williams gets the runner up prize for being a pansy.

-Lack of a decent coverage safety (Nick Collins) painfully evident. CBs giving SF's WRs/TEs a huge cushion at times, afraid to get beat deep, exploited early and often for easy first downs.

-Nick Perry in man coverage on WRs. WTF? Why are we in base? Our base is garbage. We can't even stop the run in base, just play nickel.

-Burnett not impressing me. Conspired with DJ Smith to get Moss wide open on the first TD, wandered away from Moss on the first drive to allow a 20 yarder...

-On the other side, Niners basically rushed 4 and got pressure. All day. Not surprising the offense looked so bad through that lens.

-Tramon, waaaay to scared of getting beat by 70 year old Randy Moss. smh.

-Packers were horrible at disguising their blitzes early. Seems like every other play some dude's creeping up to the line, Alex Smith checks to run a play to the other side, and the Niners get 5 yards. Not to mention the blitzes don't result in any pressure anyway because Clay is the only dude who seems to be able to win a one-on-one.

-Last drive of the first half, Jarrett Bush makes his presence felt. Bench that asshole, Capers, for the love of god.

-Even the damned d-linemen dance too much. I've never seen a 350 pound man juke past another 350 pound man, but some of our guys are trying to make it happen every down!

-Big 3rd and 1 stop with a minute left in the half. Signs of life! 13-7 Niners anyway.

-Easy to say that Rodgers should've taken that sack on 3rd and 8, but OTOH I'd be pretty pissed if he had and had gotten hurt. So whatever. The Akers FG was awesome, losing 3 points was worth it.

2nd half:

-The 3rd and 1 bomb was a two-man route. One of those trademark McCarthy playcalls that makes you scratch your head. Maybe he thought it was 2nd and 1.

-Alex Smith makes another perfect check to a opposite side run. 21 yards. Woodson didn't give it away until the last second, but the Niners knew it was coming anyway. Hmmm... Then again, maybe they just saw DJ Smith and Tramon on the same side and figured neither would have the balls to undercut a block. If so, they were right!

-Long completion to Vernon Davis. Burnett runs across the field (shadowing Davis) in motion, then drops off to cover no one in particular and leaves the middle of the field wide open for a 30 yard gain. I'll pitch in $20 to get Nick Collins a bionic neck, who's with me?

-Running outside at DJ Smith and Tramon is a theme. They are bad. I suspect we'll see that a lot this year.

-Nice (legal) pick play by the Niners for the TD. 23-7.

(boring offense stuff blah blah blah. Punt.)

-DJ Smith with a chance to tackle Gore at the SF 2 yard line. He misses, Gore gains 7 yards.

-DJ Smith + Sam Shields is also a potent combination (for the other team to run off-tackle against), especialy if Burnett is over the top. Gore gets 16 yards. Despite a valiant effort by Clay.

-Cobb out of the backfield: the one thing the Niners D couldn't handle. We didn't use it enough. Only 5 Packers caught a pass -- seemed like a pretty vanilla gameplan in general.

-Clay abused the Niners' LT on passing downs. It's a testament to the crappiness of everyone else that we didn't get more pressure.

-23-16, Packers ball, 1st down, Rodgers under center (a rarity). Completely misreads defense, throws INT right to a LB (in front of a safety that would've killed GJ if the LB hadn't caught it). Shotgun formation only for all future snaps until he retires.

-Next play, Perry and Hawk completely misread the offtackle run, Woodson can't make it over in time, 30-16. Game over, man. Game over.

Novid

Banned
What makes people think that Peanuts(the comic strip) would make a person want to buy a product as morbid as life insurance?

You want people to buy life insurence? Have them read A Raisin in the Sun.

It was to get there kids to force the parents to get life insurance. But because it isnt rotting the kids teeth, they got away with it.

Alright Packers-GAF, just All-22'd our pathetic defeat. Here are my findings, mostly concentrated on defense (because offense is boring
YYvCJ.gif
):

1st half:

-Easy to say that Rodgers should've taken that sack on 3rd and 8, but OTOH I'd be pretty pissed if he had and had gotten hurt. So whatever. The Akers FG was awesome, losing 3 points was worth it.

2nd half:

-The 3rd and 1 bomb was a two-man route. One of those trademark McCarthy playcalls that makes you scratch your head. Maybe he thought it was 2nd and 1.

-Cobb out of the backfield: the one thing the Niners D couldn't handle. We didn't use it enough. Only 5 Packers caught a pass -- seemed like a pretty vanilla gameplan in general.
Thoughts on those three:

- Rodgers knows he should have slid but I appreciate the offense's aggressiveness. It's worked out plenty in the past and the kickers don't make a 63-yard FG too often.

- The 3rd-and-1 is a dumb call given the situation and opponent but I think it's one of those "brilliant if it works, ultra dumb if it doesn't" plays.

- Agreed. I want to see Benson or Green catching balls out of the backfield too. It's absurd it's not used more.

This all 22 thing is the freaking rosetta stone of alantis and lemuria. god damn.

If I wasn't in college and actually had time (as it stands I barely have time to watch the games themselves, let alone the coaches' tape), I'd be all over the all-22's.

You get a much better feel for the complexity and various intricacies of the game from coaches' tape, things that the normal broadcast just can't provide.

I don't know if I'd want to see the Panthers' tape from this week though. Burn that shit.

Quixzlizx

Anyone post this story about Aaron Rodgers totally punking out of his jersey bet? Maybe it's because the 49ers didn't win the game, the Packers lost it.

tmdorsey

Don't care what you fools say, I'm in for an iPhone 5. I'm currently on a 4 and ready for LTE and the faster processor. I'm also too invested in the Apple ecosystem with iPad, iPhone and MacBook to switch to anything else besides not really a big fan of the Android UI.

I wish the free trail of Game Rewind with the All-22 ended on the 18th after our game with the Broncos.

Rorschach

Monday-Saturday

I don't like the new hats. :/ And the only good designs are non-fitted. I don't want those damn brims. I got the sideline hat, but it comes in stupid sizes like "small-medium." It's the smallest one they had and it's still kinda big. It has an elastic band all around the cap, but what's the point when you already make it too big for the average head? >:|

The stupid 59 Fiftys are fitted. I got one my size, and it fits perfectly, but I hate the look of it.

Narag

Good idea. Now why the fuck won't Google give me driving directions from Minnesota to Barcelona? I hear there's lots of Mexicans there. That true, Dutch?

Google apparently has a west coast bias. Driving directions across the Atlantic? Nope, sorry. Los Angeles to Honolulu? You get this:

XBBv1l.jpg

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
If I wasn't in college and actually had time (as it stands I barely have time to watch the games themselves, let alone the coaches' tape), I'd be all over the all-22's.

You get a much better feel for the complexity and various intricacies of the game from coaches' tape, things that the normal broadcast just can't provide.

I don't know if I'd want to see the Panthers' tape from this week though. Burn that shit.
Pretty sure it plays out just like Adam Sandler's version of The Longest Yard except without the happy ending.

Thoughts on those three:

- Agreed. I want to see Benson or Green catching balls out of the backfield too. It's absurd it's not used more.
Not sure about Benson's abilities as a receiver, or Green's on blitz pickup. For that matter, I wonder how good Cobb is at blitz pickup. If he could do it he'd be like the 1%'s version of Brandon Jackson.

Nice write up. Thanks!

So we're basically missing Bishop....Zombo....and whoever else we've got injured. Awesome!
Bishop is the one that really hurts. DJ Smith looked passable in the game or two he was needed last year, but he was an unknown then and teams weren't exploiting him. SF seemed to be targeting his side on runs, with great success.

In college and you don't have free time? Based on my recollection of college (which wasn't that long ago!), you're totally doing it wrong.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
In college and you don't have free time? Based on my recollection of college (which wasn't that long ago!), you're totally doing it wrong.

Unless he's architecture.

I used to get a good laugh walking by the architecture library on campus at 2 AM and still see the lights on. Those dudes take their sleeping bags with them!

I used to get a good laugh walking by the architecture library on campus at 2 AM and still see the lights on. Those dudes take their sleeping bags with them!
I was CS, I still found a way to slack for half the semester!

The other half was hell, but somebody's gotta do the procrastinating and I always figured it might as well be me.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Can't remember the article I read it in, but that play was money for GB throughout last season or something to that effect, and SF was the first team to not have their safety bite and stay deep.

Google apparently has a west coast bias. Driving directions across the Atlantic? Nope, sorry. Los Angeles to Honolulu? You get this:

XBBv1l.jpg

Of course they do, they're based in NorCal.

He might be on a quarter system and a heavy major like engineering or something.

Im taking Neurobiology and two independent study courses for my minor and I have more free time than I know what to do with. Admittedly not a whole lot of in class time but still.

Can't remember the article I read it in, but that play was money for GB throughout last season or something to that effect, and SF was the first team to not have their safety bite and stay deep.
It was definitely successful last year, but it's still a cocky call. SF wasn't the first... Either the Giants or Chiefs defended it properly last year, don't remember which.

Top Bottom