• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 2 |OT| The Replacements

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Can someone explained to me why that Williams catch wasn't legal in yesterday's giants/bucs game? Still heated about that.

I'll tell you why: It happened in the Giants' home stadium. I truly believe that if that call is made in Tampa Bay, that is called a catch. I think that has a huge effect on the scab refs.

TheFatOne

I found out that this isn't the case. Pats want him to take a paycut. He just wants the money he was promised with the contract he signed.

I don't get the Patriots. They re-sign Gronk and Hernando to big deals, but leave Welker out to dry and fuck Waters after a great first year.

Wilfork might be the most likable player on the team. I love that guy.

Not only that, but they throw away money on Fanene/Ochocinco. Love the way the Pats operate sometimes. I thought I read that Waters wanted a raise, but the Pats wanted him to honor the contract or some bullshit like that. Either way I don't get why they just don't pay the man.

greepoman

I'll tell you why: It happened in the Giants' home stadium. I truly believe that if that call is made in Tampa Bay, that is called a catch. I think that has a huge effect on the scab refs.

Didn't the scab refs call it a catch? Only to be overturned by the normal replay officials (there's no "scab" replay officials right...correct me if I'm wrong)?

eznark

Banned
I found out that this isn't the case. Pats want him to take a paycut. He just wants the money he was promised with the contract he signed.

I don't get the Patriots. They re-sign Gronk and Hernando to big deals, but leave Welker out to dry and fuck Waters after a great first year.

What's not to get, they pay players for potential not for past success. It's the smart way to treat athletes.

CJ probably earned 1000 yards on the Texans pathetic defense at the time.

I think that was the plan all along. Field the worst defense in history to make CJ look like a megabuck superstar. Then, once the Titans allocate large amounts of guaranteed cash to him we bring in Wade Phillips and become a top 5 defense.

Very nice troll move by Kubiak and co. The Texans front office were very forward thinking about this.

Milchjon

What's not to get, they pay players for potential not for past success. It's the smart way to treat athletes.

Recently, it has crossed the line from unsentimental to detrimental, though. Trying to replace Welker with Edelman isn't going to work, and that O-Line needs any help it can get.

Fox318

I think that was the plan all along. Field the worst defense in history to make CJ look like a megabuck superstar. Then, once the Titans allocate large amounts of guaranteed cash to him we bring in Wade Phillips and become a top 5 defense.

Very nice troll move by Kubiak and co. The Texans front office were very forward thinking about this.

When Wade Phillips becomes the head coach watch him make a Flutie-like switch at qb.

I'm reserving my shit talk to NE for the new thread. I need my Ravens GAF breathren to stand with me! We are well outgunned in this thread. But until the new thread, I'm going to talk about the game yesterday.

Joe Flacco is one bad football player with one big stupid eyebrow.

Fox318

I'm reserving my shit talk to NE for the new thread. I need my Ravens GAF breathren to stand with me! We are well outgunned in this thread. But until the new thread, I'm going to talk about the game yesterday.

I'll stand with you.

Looking at the replay, I thought it was a catch as well.

He has both feet down and control of the ball and then Rolle hits him and dislodges it out of bounds. Should have been a catch/fumble but it is what it is.

Yep. Even though I'm Mr Giants hater I think if you believe in being Fair and Balanced (TM), you have to agree that should've been a catch and fumble. He wasn't falling to the ground during the catch so the crazy Calvin Johnson rule shouldnt even apply.

Just give the ball to Ray Rice. all the time. You win and my fantasy team wins, benefits us both.

Word on Bradshaw is a neck sprain. Typical symptoms clear up in 4-6 weeks with more severe versions of the injury taking longer.

I'm guessing at least 4 games missed for him.

Flacco is just a different player on the road. I guess not having mom tuck him in the night before games really throws him off. Man Ray Lewis looked totally done yesterday. He wiffed on several tackles and every time he tried to cover either Celek or McCoy the Eagles took advantage of it. It is kind of sad to see a great player like him go out like this.

squicken

I didn't see the Lions game but I wouldn't say that the Rams "should" be anything. Either of those games could have gone in either direction. If it wasn't for a boneheaded play by Josh Morgan, they could have just as easily lost. It's not as if the Rams were stopping RGIII.

The Rams fumbled the ball before the Morgan play, remember? But I agree with the principle about "shoulda". Rams played two close games. Lost one and won one.

As far a stopping RG3, the Redskins scored with 10:23 left in the 3q then had no points after. Granted their was the Morgan play and the dropped deep pass, but there is also 4 three and outs. They had the Skins figured out a little

Flacco is just a different player on the road. I guess not having mom tuck him in the night before games really throws him off.

I do think there is something to this. It speaks to Flacco's makeup. I just think he's terrible dealing with negativity/criticism. You can see it in the media, particularly with his ELITE bullshit. On the field, I see the same. When he's not at home, getting booed, dealing with crowd noise, and doesn't have that crowd support, he can't handle it. He lacks composure, he lacks moxy, and he lacks toughness. He had copious amounts of brow hair, though.

I do think there is something to this. It speaks to Flacco's makeup. I just think he's terrible dealing with negativity/criticism. You can see it in the media, particularly with his ELITE bullshit. On the field, I see the same. When he's not at home, getting booed, dealing with crowd noise, and doesn't have that crowd support, he can't handle it. He lacks composure, he lacks moxy, and he lacks toughness. He had copious amounts of brow hair, though.

maybe less hair = more moxy?

He's very good at getting the most out of okay and bad players. He hasn't had playoff success but I'd argue that he did quite well when he had McNair, and just like most coaches, you are only consistently good when you get consistently good QB play

Yeah, he's a decent drafter and usually gets his guys to play hard, even during down years. His problem is getting over the playoff hump.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Can someone please make this avatar sized for me.

Oeyii.jpg

Xeke

Banned
Flacco is just a different player on the road. I guess not having mom tuck him in the night before games really throws him off. Man Ray Lewis looked totally done yesterday. He wiffed on several tackles and every time he tried to cover either Celek or McCoy the Eagles took advantage of it. It is kind of sad to see a great player like him go out like this.

Yeah that's what I saw too. He is really getting slow.

If we can somehow cut out these turnovers I have a lot of hope for the team going forward. I already saw improvement over last week though. Vicks 2nd interception wasn't his fault and while the handoff fumble was bad it isn't something that I am too worried about as that isn't the typical Eagles awful turnover.

Anyway, at this point in the season the NFC East is ours to lose as the only 2-0 team.

xnipx

Flacco played great in the AFC championship against new England, 10x better than he played at home against Houston. Our line just sucks donkey dick. They are way more inconsistent than flacco. And cam Cameron can eat a dick. Ray rice deserves better.

maybe less hair = more moxy?

There is definitely a correlation, but Flacco having one eyebrow instead of two is fucking up all the ratios.

Flacco played great in the AFC championship against new England, 10x better than he played at home against Houston. Our line just sucks donkey dick. They are way more inconsistent than flacco. And cam Cameron can eat a dick. Ray rice deserves better.

B...b...bu...but the media said we had the best O-Line in the AFC North!

squicken

I'm not a "why isn't the media respecting them?!" kind of reader, but it's odd that Luck is absolutely amazing at playing QB and is pretty much all you could ever want from a #1 overall and so little is written about him

The way he slides in the pocket to avoid the rush is unreal. He absolutely had Jared Allen going nuts b/c he just could get him. Kevin Williams said he was "impossible to get to". He probably avoided 8 sacks yesterday and even had a key scramble. I said by the end of year he'd be elite and stick by that. He's already a top 10-15 QB

bionic77

But Flacco said he's the best QB in the NFL
Number one in our hearts and minds.

bionic wants Brady on the Steelers
Fuck you, your family and your couch.

Real stiff competition in that category. That is like being the hottest Packers fan.

Brady will look horrible with Gronk, Hernandez and Lloyd? No wai. I'm a Jets fan and I can even acknowledge their weapons.
Who is the first down guy in that group? Gronk and Lloyd and big play guys. Hernandez is a chain mover but not in the same league as Welker.

Welker was arguably the most important piece in the Pats offense. He is the bailout that almost always netted positive yards for Tammy and even Cassell. Take him away and now you have a immobile, noodle armed qb who is afraid of getting hit trying to throw to big play receivers. I hope (with all my heart) it fails as badly as it sounds it will.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm not a "why isn't the media respecting them?!" kind of reader, but it's odd that Luck is absolutely amazing at playing QB and is pretty much all you could ever want from a #1 overall and so little is written about him

The way he slides in the pocket to avoid the rush is unreal. He absolutely had Jared Allen going nuts b/c he just could get him. Kevin Williams said he was "impossible to get to". He probably avoided 8 sacks yesterday and even had a key scramble. I said by the end of year he'd be elite and stick by that. He's already a top 10-15 QB

'Cause RG3 something something.

He failed the first week therefore he's terrible forever!

bionic77

There is definitely a correlation, but Flacco having one eyebrow instead of two is fucking up all the ratios.

Strangely enough there are a ton of Flacco apologists. Even weirder is that none of them are Ravens fans!

I love Flacco but I always felt like he was a byproduct of Rice. Rice makes him look so much better than he actually is.

LJ11

Do the Titans have a backup to CJ2K, why doesn't he touch the ball? OL problem or is CJs vision permanently impaired?

Said it during the preseason, but CJs going nowhere with that Titans interior line, it's awful. Still haven't replaced Mawae and moving over Amano weakened the team at two positions, though Amano's on IR I think.

eznark

Banned

Racism

jmdajr

We are really gonna see if my good ol' Texans are contenders or pretenders. Broncos, Patriots, Ravens, Jets all on the schedule. I don't know if people think Jets are in contention, but they do have Jesus on their side.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Damn that sucks :/

Did they at least give you some severance pay?
yea. Haven't read the exit agreement yet, so i dont know if i accept it i can't apply for unemployment or what not. First time being fired from a job. Been there almost 5 years.

Haynesworth stomping, bounty Gregg Williams, etc. Fisher's teams have always been like that.
Fischers teams are dirty as fuck. Vandenbosch was always doing extra curriculars after the play. Finnegan and their former center kevin mawae are/was one of the dirtiest around.

squicken

Do the Titans have a backup to CJ2K, why doesn't he touch the ball? OL problem or is CJs vision permanently impaired?

Said it during the preseason, but CJs going nowhere with that Titans interior line, it's awful. Still haven't replaced Mawae and moving over Amano weakened the team at two positions, though Amano's on IR I think.

Their backup (Javon Ringer) had a skin infection and said that it almost cost him his hand!

CJ is awful, and while his OL is bad, it's also that he just doesn't want to get hit anymore. Tries to bounce everything outside and won't just take the 4 yards and resulting hit from LBs and safeties

Who is the first down guy in that group? Gronk and Lloyd and big play guys. Hernandez is a chain mover but not in the same league as Welker.

Welker was arguably the most important piece in the Pats offense. He is the bailout that almost always netted positive yards for Tammy and even Cassell. Take him away and now you have a immobile, noodle armed qb who is afraid of getting hit trying to throw to big play receivers. I hope (with all my heart) it fails as badly as it sounds it will.

Ridley is actually shaping up to be a good ball mover.

Bowser

They've already written so much about him during these past two years that, frankly, there just isn't that much to write unless it's something negative.

Crisco

Banned

It's because he plays for the Colts, who no one outside of Indy cares about, and because he's not doing anything unexpected. We've been hearing "best QB prospect ever" for like 3 years now, so it would only be a big story if he turned out to be a giant bust. RG3 (and Newton last year) weren't really expected to be top tier performers from day one.

xnipx

We do. They're just inconsistent. And the browns and bengals don't get enough attention to properly dissect their lines. So between us and the steelers we easily have the better line which is what that claim basically was alluding to. If cam Cameron runs rice 25 times we win that game yesterday and that's all that needs to be said.

And that should have been intentional grounding on Vick which would have been 3rd and 10 I doubt they score as easily. But blaming the refs is weak. I'd rather blame our stupid offensive coordinator.

Which is good, because Brady is clearly done and someone is going to have to pick up the slack.

I hate that Tom is holding back Ryan Mallett, the future is now. This is Favre-Godgers all over again.

Also, does any of you want to write me a summary on a article about procrastination? I should do it now, but I don't want to.

yea. Haven't read the exit agreement yet, so i dont know if i accept it i can't apply for unemployment or what not. First time being fired from a job. Been there almost 5 years.

Fischers teams are dirty as fuck. Vandenbosch was always doing extra curriculars after the play. Finnegan and their former center kevin mawae are/was one of the dirtiest around.

They usually say you can't get another job for 60 days or you have to pay back the severance. Not sure if they go to the effort to check on that though

LJ11

Their backup (Javon Ringer) had a skin infection and said that it almost cost him his hand!

CJ is awful, and while his OL is bad, it's also that he just doesn't want to get hit anymore. Tries to bounce everything outside and won't just take the 4 yards and resulting hit from LBs and safeties

Maybe, whatever his problem is, Titans are burning money. They just don't run the ball if CJ isn't the one doing the running, so far anyway. We got a new CJ to root for anyway!

Bowser

Arian Foster on Twitter:

Same goes for the connections I've made through Twitter, even when they don't necessarily start out that way. Recently, I was on a Southwest Airlines flight. There was a delay, and we were stuck on the runway for an hour with no air conditioning. This is in Houston, so it's humid and hot, and people are getting agitated. The situation didn't bother me; I know these things happen. But I have an irrepressible sense of humor, and I couldn't resist poking a little fun at Southwest anyway. I tweeted that Southwest was terrible and made a point of noting that I was tweeting from the runway, breaking the rules because I'm a rebel. Just joking around to pass the time. Finally, we take off and I forget about the whole exchange until we land. I check my timeline and see that Southwest actually tweeted me back, saying that it wasn't their policy to keep phones on [after pulling out of the gate]. It's a federal law, and they were sorry for the inconvenience.

After admitting that it wasn't ever a problem and that I was just joking, I told them again jokingly that 'if you're really sorry, you'll fly two of my fans out for a game. I'll get them tickets and put 'em up." They tweeted back and said that it sounded like a good idea. After exchanging direct messages, we turned the idea into a contest. Something like this only comes together on Twitter.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...ter-twitter/index.html?sct=hp_wr_a1&eref=sihp

Arian's an awesome guy

SonnyBoy

Okay, we could be 2-0. Either way, the point is that the Rams are at least mildly competitive thus far.

We will still probably go 6-10

They are definitely competitive.

The Rams fumbled the ball before the Morgan play, remember? But I agree with the principle about "shoulda". Rams played two close games. Lost one and won one.

As far a stopping RG3, the Redskins scored with 10:23 left in the 3q then had no points after. Granted their was the Morgan play and the dropped deep pass, but there is also 4 three and outs. They had the Skins figured out a little

Oh, they definitely slowed their roll big time. I feel that RGIII put his players in positions to succeed but they came up short at times. My apologies if that came off as if the Rams didn't have an answer for RGIII... I guess I was more-so saying that he was still able to lead his team, keep them competitive and give them a chance. Without him, it would have been a blowout.

The missed call for the hit against Fred Davis didn't help things either.

Top Bottom