• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 2 |OT| The Replacements

Talon

What does that mean?
dismemepoc.jpg

You're heartless, Ez.

squicken

From Adam Schefter about Vilma's meeting with the commissioner today:

Cue the show me the evidence Brees pics.

Gregg Williams' career is over. No player will play for him if he went stoolie for Goodell.

Weirdly his 27 year old son is the Rams de facto defensive coordinator

Milchjon

Until there's some radical technology shift like eye control or glasses the best it's going to get is just plain whelming

Not to take the smartphone wars over here, but I think it's awesome/funny/sad that Apple and their fans have convinced the public that this is the case. Others (I'm thinking Nokia specifically, but the same goes for some Android based competitors) have shown that there's still plenty of room to innovate. Not saying that everyone should switch to Windows Phone/Android, as those preferences are of course subjective and the iPhone is a good phone, but I wonder how, when Apple has little to offer beyond an incremental update with almost no innovative features, everyone is like
tumblr_m9vo0mCVee1qaxlbb.jpg

Fanotmex said:
I remember seeing Marino, Favre, Simms, Rodgers yell at receivers, linemen, Popes, Nuns, girl scouts etc all the time. I need to get my popcorn ready.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUlrCH6gLQw

Easy one to point out. Monday Night game. I remember Eli getting pissed at Bradshaw in '09 when they were playing against the Saints. Ahmad missed a blitz pickup and Eli actually pounded him on the should pads and was giving him a raft of shit for missing the play. One of the only times I've ever seen Eli show some serious emotion at a play being fucked up.

The difference is Manning and those types you mentioned get far more leeway cause they've actually won something in their careers (or were HOF type players) and don't have the reputation Cutler has for being a pouty whiner.

Gigglepoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUlrCH6gLQw

Easy one to point out. Monday Night game. The difference is Manning and those types you mentioned get far more leeway cause they've actually won something in their careers (or were HOF type players) and don't have the reputation Cutler has for being a pouty whiner.

Dan Marino was an asshole and a loser for his entire career. Those two traits seem to go hand in hand. As much as I like Cutler and Rivers on the football field, it's not often quarterbacks with that mentality win. Football is too much of a team sport and the quarterback is supposed to be a leader, so pouting leads to dissent lead to failure.

squicken

Not to take the smartphone wars over here, but I think it's awesome/funny/sad that Apple and their fans have convinced the public that this is the case. Others (I'm thinking Nokia specifically, but the same goes for some Android based competitors) have shown that there's still plenty of room to innovate. Not saying that everyone should switch to Windows Phone/Android, as those preferences are of course subjective and the iPhone is a good phone, but I wonder how, when Apple has little to offer beyond an incremental update with almost no innovative features, everyone is like
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9vo0mCVee1qaxlbb.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

I was on the fence really with the iPhone. But after reading previews for the 920 and 820 and every Android phone coming this year, I didn't really see anything crazy cool. Like the Nokia phones, I don't take pictures, and I'm not sure how the wireless charging is all the cool. What sucks about charging a phone is that you mostly can't use it. Not that you have to plug in a cord

Milchjon

I was on the fence really with the iPhone. But after reading previews for the 920 and 820 and every Android phone coming this year, I didn't really see anything crazy cool. Like the Nokia phones, I don't take pictures, and I'm not sure how the wireless charging is all the cool. What sucks about charging a phone is that you mostly can't use it. Not that you have to plug in a cord

But then you still have a higher resolution, faster refresh rate, better readability in sunlight, a touchscreen you can use with gloves, NFC, Offline Maps/Navigation, etc...

I just don't get this defeatist attitude so many people seem to show when it comes to innovation with the iPhone 5. Some of the stuff they left out is gimmicky, some is genuinely useful. What you're left with is a phone that's checking all the boxes, but that's fully unexciting. And I still prefer the design of the 4/4S to that weird two color back.

Gigglepoo said:
Dan Marino was an asshole and a loser for his entire career. Those two traits seem to go hand in hand. As much as I like Cutler and Rivers on the football field, it's not often quarterbacks with that mentality win. Football is too much of a team sport and the quarterback is supposed to be a leader, so pouting leads to dissent lead to failure.
Yeah. I think we're saying the same thing.

One only needs to look at Rodgers in the same game. James Jones ran the wrong route and Aaron had no issue giving him a peace of his mind during the broadcast which NBC was happy to get a close-up of. He didn't go shoving anyone but it's on a similar level.

The problem for Cutler (and Rivers to an extent) is that he already has a bit of an established reputation as being pouty, disagreeable or whatever you want to call it. Add in that he lacks the success of a Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers and he isn't going get away with being a dick to his lineman or walk around chest bumping people.

see5harp

Wireless charging just really isn't that necessary for me. I love the hardware and UI look of the Nokia but I want to see how everything works with Windows 8 and the next xbox along with tablets. To me it's not just the single device that needs to be good, it's the entire ecosystem. I already have a iPad and macbook and do plan on upgrading my PC to Windows 8, but it just doesn't make sense to have to manage both iTunes and windows media libraries when everything has been working out fine as is.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

One only needs to look at Rodgers in the same game. James Jones ran the wrong route and Aaron had no issue giving him a peace of his mind during the broadcast which NBC was happy to get a close-up of. He didn't go shoving anyone but it's on a similar level.

The problem for Cutler (and Rivers to an extent) is that he already has a bit of an established reputation as being pouty, disagreeable or whatever you want to call it. Add in that he lacks the success of a Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers and he isn't going get away with being a dick to his lineman or walk around chest bumping people.

Also, Cutler isn't known for taking his share of the blame. Cutler was yelling at his O-Line for him getting sacked despite him causing two of his own during that game.

Talon

Windows Phone is too nascent of a platform still for me.

The Android phones out there just don't appeal to me. If you could get a One X shell with a stock Android experience, I'd love it. For me, I prefer the hardware of the SII to the SIII, but the plastic housing is a turnoff for me. I've played around with someone else's Galaxy S III, and the screen just feels silly big and the hardware feels hollow. That's a completely subjective measure, but I don't really seeing anything innovative about the hardware. Maybe it's because I'm Korean, but I still have this image of Samsung as a maker of cheap hardware at scale with lower quality.

I thought about this recently, and Apple's done a fine job of locking in users to their ecosystem. The apps are one thing; I have a shit ton of crucial apps like Reeder, Downcast and Instapaper along with a stupid amount of games that I've "bought" over the years.

On top of that, iMessage is a killer feature for me. Most of my friends and my girlfriend have iPhones. It's not just that it's faster than texting, the best part is that the content is synced across my iPhone and iPad (and my girlfriend's MBA).

iCloud saves for apps make a big difference, even if it's not at even 70% usage right now. Just loading up a game and being at the same point across both my iPhone and iPad is worth it. I update my grocery list from my iPad on Sunday and have it on my phone on Monday when I shop. I listen to podcasts on both devices, and all the episodes are synced at the same point without me thinking about.

Is that stuff 100% crucial to me? No but it's a massive convenience for my daily driver.

Problem is, while Cutler does need to knock his jerkish behavior, most of the criticism is well deserved. If I was playing football, and I had to be behind that line every week, I cannot say I'd be very "happy", especially if I became the most sacked quarterback in the league. Add that onto diabetes that can already make you temperamental (trust me, I know), then it just isn't a good combination. At the end of the day Cutler is still responsible, but I don't blame him entirely for being so... Unrestrained with his words. However, shoving a guy is never called for.

Honestly I think Cutler is going to end up requesting a trade by next season unless some coaches are fired.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
We call that droppin the dime.

You know that Roger is trying to save that Payton affidavit as a trump card, but I sincerely hope that the NFLPA forces the NFL to play it. The Saints will be fucked for years as none of their players will trust their head coach.

Talon

I had no idea talon was such a jobs knob slobber
Never got into Macs because I built my own computers growing up, but they got this iOS thing right. I really like that apps lay adjacently in Google instead of being siloed. I just think the hardware manufacturers and carriers blow chunks.

I'm just excited about technology. We're going to see a preponderance of digital assistants increase in usability in the next 2-3 years with Google Now and Siri. The location and usage data is already out there about us. It's only a matter of time until you don't have to bother searching for the next concert of an artist you love or the latest Packers news. Contextual assistance, man. It's going to be awesome. And scary. Really scary. Get your guns.

Nightz

Rivers shouldn't even be in the same category as Cutler. Yeah, he can come off as a douchebag with the way he jabbers with the other team, and everyone already has that perception of him, but that's just the fire that he plays with. Watch any interview with him and he'll man up if he makes mistakes. He took responsibility for all 20 of his picks last year. Not once did he throw his O-line under the bus. His teammates praise his leadership skills. He isn't a pouty loser like Cutler.

I have no doubt Rivers will win a ring someday
after the Chargers move to LA.

bionic77

I dont understand where bionics FA came up with that figure. Seems so high unless you're spoiling your kid rotten and also fuck them tell them to be smart and get scholarships and jobs give a fucking work ethic. If i ever have kids im not helping with college lil rotten fuckers.
10% increase in prices/year + high prices = maybe our kids are going to be plumbers

At least that is how I think he came to his numbers. And you don't want to invest and save for 18 years and come up short so they are probably adding some on top of that.

If you think that is bad you should have seen the talk on my retirement number! :lol wait until you kids get old. Maybe Eznark is right. I should invest in bullets, spam and Packers stock. All 3 can be used to get food or at least keep me warm.

Milchjon

Windows Phone is too nascent of a platform still for me.

The Android phones out there just don't appeal to me. If you could get a One X shell with a stock Android experience, I'd love it. For me, I prefer the hardware of the SII to the SIII, but the plastic housing is a turnoff for me. I've played around with someone else's Galaxy S III, and the screen just feels silly big and the hardware feels hollow. That's a completely subjective measure, but I don't really seeing anything innovative about the hardware. Maybe it's because I'm Korean, but I still have this image of Samsung as a maker of cheap hardware at scale with lower quality.

I thought about this recently, and Apple's done a fine job of locking in users to their ecosystem. The apps are one thing; I have a shit ton of crucial apps like Reeder, Downcast and Instapaper along with a stupid amount of games that I've "bought" over the years.

On top of that, iMessage is a killer feature for me. Most of my friends and my girlfriend have iPhones. It's not just that it's faster than texting, the best part is that the content is synced across my iPhone and iPad (and my girlfriend's MBA).

iCloud saves for apps make a big difference, even if it's not at even 70% usage right now. Just loading up a game and being at the same point across both my iPhone and iPad is worth it. I update my grocery list from my iPad on Sunday and have it on my phone on Monday when I shop. I listen to podcasts on both devices, and all the episodes are synced at the same point without me thinking about.

Is that stuff 100% crucial to me? No but it's a massive convenience for my daily driver.

That's not really what I'm wondering about. I get how people could prefer the iPhone. What I don't get is why they act as if the ceiling is reached when it comes to smartphone innovation just because Apple hasn't shown a lot. You don't need to like WP to see how a touchscreen that works with gloves could be useful, and I don't get why you wouldn't egg Apple on more to include some of these niceties.

And tbh, none of the things you described would require an iPhone 5, would they?

Levyne

Banned
Rivers shouldn't even be in the same category as Cutler. Yeah, he can come off as a douchebag with the way he jabbers with the other team, and everyone already has that perception of him, but that's just the fire that he plays with. Watch any interview with him and he'll man up if he makes mistakes. He took responsibility for all 20 of his picks last year. Not once did he throw his O-line under the bus. His teammates praise his leadership skills. He isn't a pouty loser like Cutler.

I have no doubt Rivers will win a ring someday
after the Chargers move to LA.

Cutler and 2 first rounders for Rivers

eznark

Banned
10% increase in prices/year + high prices = maybe our kids are going to be plumbers

At least that is how I think he came to his numbers. And you don't want to invest and save for 18 years and come up short so they are probably adding some on top of that.

If you think that is bad you should have seen the talk on my retirement number! :lol wait until you kids get old. Maybe Eznark is right. I should invest in bullets, spam and Packers stock. All 3 can be used to get food or at least keep me warm.

Be less poor

Talon

I realized this weekend that my girlfriends' parents paid sticker price at Northwestern for her undergrad and are now paying sticker price for Med School at Michigan.

4 x $46,000
5 x $46,000

$414,000

Holy fuck.

eznark

Banned
I realized this weekend that my girlfriends' parents paid sticker price at Northwestern for her undergrad and are now paying sticker price for Med School at Michigan.

4 x $46,000
5 x $46,000

$414,000

Holy fuck.

Good ol American ingenuity, talon marrying into money.

Just a thought, but if the Cardinals had a better quarterback, they probably would have smoked the Patriots (feels so wrong to say) versus barely winning. That feels wrong to say, but tis something I thought about.

Levyne

Banned
I applied to Northwestern for grad school but didn't make it :( I really wanted to go there.

I love my work at Georgia Tech though.

Talon

That's not really what I'm wondering about. I get how people could prefer the iPhone. What I don't get is why they act as if the ceiling is reached when it comes to smartphone innovation just because Apple hasn't shown a lot. You don't need to like WP to see how a touchscreen that works with gloves could be useful, and I don't get why you wouldn't egg Apple on more to include some of these niceties.

And tbh, none of the things you described would require an iPhone 5, would they?
Who said the ceiling was reached? Where did I ever say that?

Would I like to see Apple take a bigger jump in software? Sure, but I'm not entirely sure if I can define what I want to see. Siri is clearly where Apple sees growth, and I think Google Now with its JB features has taken a higher jump at this point. I'm excited for digital assistants to keep on improving, and competition in this space is only good for us. At the same time, I understand as an organization why they haven't. They clearly felt pressure to increase the size of the display, but they also didn't want to fragment the form factor of their phones horizontally, fucking up legacy app support. The decision to extent it taller seems to me a sound decision.

The widgets, for instance. I'd like glanceable information on the phone. I like the home screen of WP. I never said I didn't like the OS; it's objectively a nascent platform when it came to application support. I have to imagine that they don't want to break the continuity of the springboard, and they don't think the battery life hit weighed against the user experience of glanceable information (i.e., if they decided to make it check on wifi instead of on a timer, meaning it'd give inaccurate information) was worth the tradeoff.

I was talking about software lock-in. I'm going to upgrade my phone anyways, the fact that those features are tied to one platform plays a big part in my purchasing decision. I've always stated the hardware reasons why I was upgrading to the 5. The cameras, the LTE, the battery life, the unibody build, and the thinner and lighter chassis all were what I was looking for. I'm interested to see how sturdy the device will be with that unibody build. Might go caseless for once.

Anyways, again, I like Android. I've played around with stock ICS on a second device. I love the fact that applications aren't siloed. What I want to see is the 5 Nexus dream with HTC, Motorola, Sony, LG, and Samsung. I've let my love of the One X's hardware known on this forum. HTC's hardware is nice; it's just sense (and those damn hardware buttons) that are unnecessary. I just want stock love on class-leading hardware.

Levyne

Banned
He still looks goofy.

He always looks so naive. Like a puppy that really just wants people to pet him, but everyone kicks him. And he still comes back everytime.

Wait, that's pretty much what he is.

Hmmm. I think he looks confident and having a good time right there. I'd rather see that than pouty Cutler or deer-in-headlights Matty Ice

jakncoke

Banned
Well,

13 years (K-5 -> 12th grade) Private school at $12,000/year: $156,000
Ancillary costs of music lessons, sports, feeding the kid: Whothefuckknows
4 years at a top 25 university (let's say $40,000 including room and board*): $160,000

Sounds about right.

*Reality is, nobody pays sticker price for school. If you've done well enough to get into a good school, you're getting Grants or Scholarships of some sort. And if you got into Harvard, and your parents make less than $70k (or whatever the ceiling is now), you go for free!

fuck private schools, rich little pricks

Top Bottom