• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 2 |OT| The Replacements

Talon

Of course, she always gets upset at me when I buy her expensive things. A girl after my own heart.

Private schools are a gigantic waste of money.
Depends on a case-by-case basis. Podunk Montessori school with 20 kids? Yes. Woodward Academy or the Westminster Schools? Nope. It's a huge competitive advantage when you're applying to the elite schools in the top 12-15. You have to realize that a school like Harvard and Stanford is only taking maybe 4-15 kids from any given state, particularly Georgia.

Obviously it's a matter of where you want to spend your resources. The strength of going to a strong undergrad is that your barrier of entry going forward is a little easier, and the level of competition in the classroom is really helpful going forward.

see5harp

I don't believe in spending that much money on primary education. If you are asian you just need a mother to beat your ass and a dad to tutor you in math.

Bowser

I don't believe in spending that much money on primary education. If you are asian you just need a mother to beat your ass and a dad to tutor you in math.

ZDyU4.gif

Public schooling, four years at a state school, no debt and gainfully employed since graduation making pretty damn good money for a 24 (soon to be 25) year old.

Levyne

Banned
I went to a private undergraduate college but had a nice scholarship. Got paid to go to school for the first year and only had a 2k differential between funds and cost for the next 3. And next to no one pays their own way for engineering graduate school; have a tuition waiver and a stipend. No debt at all. yay

Milchjon

Who said the ceiling was reached? Where did I ever say that?

Would I like to see Apple take a bigger jump in software? Sure, but I'm not entirely sure if I can define what I want to see. Siri is clearly where Apple sees growth, and I think Google Now with its JB features has taken a higher jump at this point. I'm excited for digital assistants to keep on improving, and competition in this space is only good for us. At the same time, I understand as an organization why they haven't. They clearly felt pressure to increase the size of the display, but they also didn't want to fragment the form factor of their phones horizontally, fucking up legacy app support. The decision to extent it taller seems to me a sound decision.

The widgets, for instance. I'd like glanceable information on the phone. I like the home screen of WP. I never said I didn't like the OS; it's objectively a nascent platform when it came to application support. I have to imagine that they don't want to break the continuity of the springboard, and they don't think the battery life hit weighed against the user experience of glanceable information (i.e., if they decided to make it check on wifi instead of on a timer, meaning it'd give inaccurate information) was worth the tradeoff.

I was talking about software lock-in. I'm going to upgrade my phone anyways, the fact that those features are tied to one platform plays a big part in my purchasing decision. I've always stated the hardware reasons why I was upgrading to the 5. The cameras, the LTE, the battery life, the unibody build, and the thinner and lighter chassis all were what I was looking for. I'm interested to see how sturdy the device will be with that unibody build. Might go caseless for once.

Anyways, again, I like Android. I've played around with stock ICS on a second device. I love the fact that applications aren't siloed. What I want to see is the 5 Nexus dream with HTC, Motorola, Sony, LG, and Samsung. I've let my love of the One X's hardware known on this forum. HTC's hardware is nice; it's just sense (and those damn hardware buttons) that are unnecessary. I just want stock love on class-leading hardware.

You didn't say it, but I was talking about it in the post you replied to, so I assumed you were referring to that. :)

I also didn't assume you hate the other OSs. NFL-GAF is usually above such things, from my experience. We make fun of uglies, fatties, races and racism, Browns fans, women and transgendered people, but we're pretty tolerant when it comes to competing gadgets/consoles. :-D

As for the rest, each to their own. No snark intended.

jakncoke

Banned
Of course, she always gets upset at me when I buy her expensive things. A girl after my own heart.

Depends on a case-by-case basis. Podunk Montessori school with 20 kids? Yes. Woodward Academy or the Westminster Schools? Nope. It's a huge competitive advantage when you're applying to the elite schools in the top 12-15. You have to realize that a school like Harvard and Stanford is only taking maybe 4-15 kids from any given state, particularly Georgia.

Fair enough if you wanna go to some snob top school, my kids.. yeah they better fuck think twice about that shit. lol

bionic77

I keep saying it, but the 4 was the first phone that got it right.

Android phones were shit until ICS so they looked like they advanced a shitton trying to catch up. Now they are caught up from what I can see. I except their pace of innovation to slow now as well.

People should be happy that most phones work now at their primary functions. They are fast, look decent, have good screens and decent battery. Nerds are getting way too caught up in this shit. Go try out th phones and see what is most important to you. Face unlock, fart apps or live tiles with no content.

see5harp

Don't get me wrong, if you have the opportunity to go to Stanford or Northwestern and have the money, by all means go for it. My brother's best friend got a job with a large Chicago firm and was offered 280k her first year. For her the connections she made in Chicago worked out for her.

Talon

I keep saying it, but the 4 was the first phone that got it right.

Android phones were shit until ICS so they looked like they advanced a shitton trying to catch up. Now they are caught up from what I can see. I except their pace of innovation to slow now as well.

People should be happy that most phones work now at their primary functions. They are fast, look decent, have good screens and decent battery. Nerds are getting way too caught up in this shit. Go try out th phones and see what is most important to you. Face unlock, fart apps or live tiles with no content.
Agreed. The iPhone 4 was the biggest leap since the original iPhone.

We are miles ahead of where we were just two years ago when it comes to competition. ICS and JB are objectively better than iOS in a number of areas now, whereas Gingerbread was mediocre by comparison.

I want Windows Mobile to grow because I'd rather see a three horse race than two horse race, but, knowing recent grads that work at Microsoft, the organizational structure there doesn't seem conducive to rapid development. They spend a lot on R&D on cool projects that they share internally but seemingly aren't interested in delivering consumer products.

"Mr. Orakpo the scans are back. You've torn your pectoral muscle completely. The damage is quite severe."

"Impressive!"

"Of course I'm sure you realize you will be done for the season. I'm sorry."

"H'okay"

cashman

Banned
Well,

13 years (K-5 -> 12th grade) Private school at $12,000/year: $156,000
Ancillary costs of music lessons, sports, feeding the kid: Whothefuckknows
4 years at a top 25 university (let's say $40,000 including room and board*): $160,000

Sounds about right.

*Reality is, nobody pays sticker price for school. If you've done well enough to get into a good school, you're getting Grants or Scholarships of some sort. And if you got into Harvard, and your parents make less than $70k (or whatever the ceiling is now), you go for free!

hmmm Let's see

public school - 0 dollars
4 year university - <500 dollars per semester so far
I used to play baseball when I was younger so that got pretty expensive.

squicken

Wait, why would Williams do that?

And the thing was it was reported during preseason in the STL media that he was going off the grid to do some soul searching/spirit quest or something in East Asia. Since I love a good conspiracy theory I''l just say that he's apparently in the country, he has to know that this kills his career (if it wasn't dead already), he had no reason to sign it, and his 27 year old neophyte son is calling the Rams defense on Sundays.

PFT Live: Time to get Moss more involved?

I disagree with their assessment that Moss is a worse receiver than the other three and that's why he's bumped to 4th receiver. I get the feeling that it's because Harbaugh knows that Moss just doesn't block in the running game and is a liability in the ground game..

The blood dripping down his nose kinda indicates otherwise..

thats the joke! he's bleeding but he has no time to "bleed" (i.e. worry about that). he was too busy destroying the sorry ass lions D

Gigglepoo

And the thing was it was reported during preseason in the STL media that he was going off the grid to do some soul searching/spirit quest or something in East Asia. Since I love a good conspiracy theory I''l just say that he's apparently in the country, he has to know that this kills his career (if it wasn't dead already), he had no reason to sign it, and his 27 year old neophyte son is calling the Rams defense on Sundays.

I was being serious: Why would he sign that? I'm not particularly familiar with affidavits, so I have no idea what he could have gained by signing that. Also, just because he says players were offered money to knock out Favre doesn't indict Vilma, does it?

GQman2121

Banned
I'm excited for the game tonight, but I can't lie, I'm more interested in what the refs are going to do than anything else. After a few hours of Baltimore, DC and Dan Patrick radio today, something is primed to go down tonight.

I was being serious: Why would he sign that? I'm not particularly familiar with affidavits, so I have no idea what he could have gained by signing that. Also, just because he says players were offered money to knock out Favre doesn't indict Vilma, does it?

the affidavit he signed specifically states that Vilma put up the $10,000.

Talon likes hot sauce, Sanjuro likes vinegar, Greg hates ketchup because it's not wings.

Never you mind the ketchup haters.

We see through your lies.

Talon

:jnc

Carter making fun of Rutgers:

"He lost me when he started talking about Rutgers. You only got a handful of guys in the league."

Top Bottom