• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 2 |OT| The Replacements

Not sure if sarcastic, but heres my situation:

Im in an expensive 10 team league and I intentionally lost my first week matchup to ensure that I got the first choice pickup off the waivers. Everyone bitched about my strategy and called me stupid, so I need to make good use of my first choice waiver position.

My current team is this:

QB - Vick
WR - Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace, Mike Williams, Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks
RB - Matt Forte, Adrian Peterson, Isaac Redman, Mendenhall, Bernard Pierce, Turbin

Best available players are: Stephen Hill (WR), Dexter McCluster (WR/RB), and Kevin Ogletree (WR). I really wanted Alfred Morris, but hes gone, some genius drafted him.

Any suggestions on who to grab and why would be greatly appreciated. Id like to stop being the laughing stock of my league. THANKS!

I'd look at Brandon LaFell (WR from Carolina) as well. Him and Alshon Jeffrey

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
9/28/2008 is still the happiest day of my life. That's when the Brewers made the playoffs for the first time since I was an infant. I had been to hundreds (probably a thousand+) games in my life to that point and to be there for that game was something I will never ever forget. I just don't think it would have been as sweet if I hadn't suffered through the Sal Bando years.

Now, to be fair, I don't wish that kind of decades long pain on anyone outside of Minnesota, but still, sticking with it makes it so much sweeter.

I know that feel.

Blue Jays won two world series when I was around 9-10 years old. I remember it and loved it but still doesn't have the same feeling to me as I obviously wasn't as into sports as I am now.

Raptors being one shot away from the conference finals is still the highlight of the franchise. I've been a season seat holder since their last season making the playoffs. :(

Leafs I've seen 3 or 4 conference finals in my lifetime. The closest they ever were again I was 9 or 10 years old so I don't remember it as well. I just remember Gretzky high sticking Gilmour and us losing the game. I can't even remember game 7.

Browns...they beat the Saints and Pats in one season. That's been the highlight for me so far.

Rorschach

9/28/2008 is still the happiest day of my life. That's when the Brewers made the playoffs for the first time since I was an infant. I had been to hundreds (probably a thousand+) games in my life to that point and to be there for that game was something I will never ever forget. I just don't think it would have been as sweet if I hadn't suffered through the Sal Bando years.

Now, to be fair, I don't wish that kind of decades long pain on anyone outside of Minnesota, but still, sticking with it makes it so much sweeter.

The problem for LJ is that he's also a Mets fan. :(

LJ11

I'm more concerned that we're losing a great x's and o's guy here. Fuck squicken, who gives a shit about people like that. I mourn for LJ.

Nah, you just need a team to root for, which explains why squicken is still a Texans fan.

Yeah, that's true, but now all he has is Madden. WELCOME BACK LJ!

I'm going to set the int record. When Madden '03 (Faulk cover) went online I took beatings for months until I got better, kind of feels the same way and I'm actually enjoying it.

That's why you have to have a team. I lived the don't give a shit life when the Oilers left and Sooners sucked and I didn't watch much football. Even if I have to become the football fan equivalent of the girl in the Hyundai commercials it's still worth it b/c I like watching the games

Go Texans!

The problem for LJ is that he's also a Mets fan. :(

Hey, had a good time watching them the first half, and RA's been amazing. I'm a huge hockey fan too, I love the Rangers, just need hockey to start. We're winning the cup.

Realistically they have this year and potentially next (assuming everything goes their ways and they don't have any big injuries) unless they get some real superstars in the draft.

You don't have long in the NFL.

Willis shits on that thing you call a defense.

11-5 for the season

CHI @ GB
TB @ NYG
OAK @ MIA
HOU @ JAC
CLE @ CIN
KC @ BUF
BAL @ PHI
NO @ CAR
ARI @ NE
MIN @ IND
WAS @ STL
DAL @ SEA
NYJ @ PIT
TEN @ SD
DET @ SF
DEN @ ATL

Fantomex

Ed Reed is the greatest safety of all time.

ss-080302-toughestjocks-lott.standard.jpg

C'mon Son

bionic77

Ed Reed is the greatest safety of all time.
I used to prefer Troy, but now it is looking Reed is going to have the better career.

Reed has lost a step, but he still gets TOs. Troy has been invisible for much too long for a superstar player. He used to be the difference maker in our backfield, but now we just have him back over the top and he doesn't really do anything back there or on running plays he is overaggressive and is not the difference maker he used to be.

Hope he proves me wrong and turns it around later this season. :(

Milchjon

I used to prefer Troy, but now it is looking Reed is going to have the better career.

Reed has lost a step, but he still gets TOs. Troy has been invisible for much too long for a superstar player. He used to be the difference maker in our backfield, but now we just have him back over the top and he doesn't really do anything back there or on running plays he is overaggressive and is not the difference maker he used to be.

Hope he proves me wrong and turns it around later this season. :(

Troy is the only Steeler I like. But I think I'm still happy he's busted now.

Milchjon

JJ and his son-in-law are crafty SOBs

Tony Romo was great, but the MVP of the Dallas Cowboys' opening week win had to be owner Jerry Jones' personal eyeglass cleaner. Jones has clearly been amused by all the attention, so we should have seen this next step coming.

The Cowboys are going to try to make money off the story.

Jerry's son-in-law Shy Anderson, who was seen cleaning Jones' glasses, has come up with a new product that will be for sale soon on DallasCowboys.com. The product: "Jerry Wipes."

This is not a joke. (Although it begs for a few.) It is not an Onion Sports article. Anderson came up with the idea to design and order eyeglass-cleaning cloths with the words "Jerry Wipes" printed on them, according to the Dallas Morning News.

"They can also be used for spontaneous shoe shining, if necessary," Anderson cracked. "It started out as a joke, but let's see how far we can take it."

There are so many different ways this could not end well

Search your feelings Larry, you know this to be true. Next thing is you'll tell me Ray Lewis is the greatest Linebacker of all time.

Now you're just trying to be argumentative. Who is better? "Boxcar" Bobby O'Toole for the 1922 Tuskaloosa Barnstormers? Don't pull crazy names. Be real.

UberTag

Not sure if sarcastic, but heres my situation:

Im in an expensive 10 team league and I intentionally lost my first week matchup to ensure that I got the first choice pickup off the waivers. Everyone bitched about my strategy and called me stupid, so I need to make good use of my first choice waiver position.

My current team is this:

QB - Vick
WR - Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace, Mike Williams, Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks
RB - Matt Forte, Adrian Peterson, Isaac Redman, Mendenhall, Bernard Pierce, Turbin

Best available players are: Stephen Hill (WR), Dexter McCluster (WR/RB), and Kevin Ogletree (WR). I really wanted Alfred Morris, but hes gone, some genius drafted him.

Any suggestions on who to grab and why would be greatly appreciated. Id like to stop being the laughing stock of my league. THANKS!
First off, with benches that deep in a 10-team format losing on purpose in Week 1 was sheer lunacy.

Secondly, with benches that deep in a 10-team format why the hell didn't you back up Michael Vick? QB is your greatest weakness and you've got very little leverage with no reserve QB with upside who could have bailed you out there.

You're also awfully thin at running back (especially if you can start 3) which I would tend to think is likely seeing how you're rostering 6. Thank goodness for Peterson defying all medical precedent and looking like a bargain.

In terms of long-term value, Stephen Hill is the best buy but what's immediately glaring to me is that you've rostered 4 Steelers and they have their Week 4 bye looming. Both the Giants and Jets play first-rate defenses in San Fran & Philly that week... arguably the Top 2 defensive units in the league.

Based on that, I'd pick up Ogletree and hope this week's output portends a long-term trend. I would also try and pick up a backup QB and to deal AP to a crazy Peterson lover for at least 2 players. Target a high floor RB who underperformed in Week 1 like Lynch (you've already got Turbin) or Charles.

cajunator

Banned
THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 13TH
CHI @ GB - Chicago doesnt have San Francisco's defense.

SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 16TH
TB @ NYG - Giants will rebound and knock fatman on his ass all game long.
OAK @ MIA - Oakland will get past miami as long as they figure out how to punt.
HOU @ JAC - Houston is going to steamroll through their division.
CLE @ CIN - Cincinatti has a decent offense. They should win this one.
KC @ BUF - This is a tossup but I think Buffalo squeaks by.
BAL @ PHI - Philly will keep rolling. Vic goes down but Nick Foles has a good day.
NO @ CAR - Brees doesn't have two bad games in a row lately. Saints will bounce back. At least they did under Payton. I have no idea if they will with Kromer.
ARI @ NE - Evil triumphs.
MIN @ IND - Luck gets his first win.
WAS @ STL - So...yeah Washington is pretty good.
DAL @ SEA - Fuck the cowboys.
NYJ @ PIT - Jets offense regresses to normal. Pitt finds a way to win having just lost one.
TEN @ SD - San Diego is in their initial win stage. They either win a bunch or lose a bunch at first.
DET @ SF - Sorry Matt, but Frisco is going to eat you alive.

MONDAY SEPTEMBER 17TH
DEN @ ATL - fuck the falcons.

L0GIKILL

Neo Member
Based on that, I'd pick up Ogletree and hope this week's output portends a long-term trend. I would also try and pick up a backup QB and to deal AP to a crazy Peterson lover for at least 2 players. Target a high floor RB who underperformed in Week 1 like Lynch (you've already got Turbin) or Charles.

This is great advice, I like the idea of unloading AP. THANK YOU!

UberTag

This only lasts for finite period. You can distract yourself with other teams/coaches/college football/specific schemes but you'll reach a point where you just don't give a shit, at least I did. It really feels pointless.
The cure for being a Bills fan is to play fantasy football.

Then, you can tell yourself, "It's OK that my team is a big disappointment and that they made a spectacle of themselves in Week 1. It doesn't matter that Fred Jackson might be done for the season because I have CJ Spiller on my fantasy bench and FJax going down made my fantasy team better even though it made the Bills worse."

This is great advice, I like the idea of unloading AP. THANK YOU!
Just don't trade him for Chris Johnson. Certain underperforming RBs you want no part of.

Fox318

The cure for being a Bills fan is to play fantasy football.

Then, you can tell yourself, "It's OK that my team is a big disappointment and that they made a spectacle of themselves in Week 1. It doesn't matter that Fred Jackson might be done for the season because I have CJ Spiller on my fantasy bench and FJax going down made my fantasy team better even though it made the Bills worse."
Outside of the Bills secondary they still have a good team.

Don't give up after 1 game.

First off, with benches that deep in a 10-team format losing on purpose in Week 1 was sheer lunacy.

Secondly, with benches that deep in a 10-team format why the hell didn't you back up Michael Vick? QB is your greatest weakness and you've got very little leverage with no reserve QB with upside who could have bailed you out there.

You're also awfully thin at running back (especially if you can start 3) which I would tend to think is likely seeing how you're rostering 6. Thank goodness for Peterson defying all medical precedent and looking like a bargain.

In terms of long-term value, Stephen Hill is the best buy but what's immediately glaring to me is that you've rostered 4 Steelers and they have their Week 4 bye looming. Both the Giants and Jets play first-rate defenses in San Fran & Philly that week... arguably the Top 2 defensive units in the league.

What? Why would he unload AP when he has a solid RB 1 and 2 situation? You're making him settle for less when he can unload Nicks, Cruz, Wallace and Brown. It would also make more sense for him. You can't expect him to start both Steelers or both Giants receivers and expect him to have a productive week. And there are probably people in his league that want any of those receivers.

I would say offer the receivers first before you offer AP.

UberTag

What? Why would he unload AP when he has a solid RB 1 and 2 situation? You're making him settle for less when he can unload Nicks, Cruz, Wallace and Brown. It would also make more sense for him. You can't expect him to start both Steelers or both Giants receivers and expect him to have a productive week. And there are probably people in his league that want any of those receivers.

I would say offer the receivers first before you offer AP.
While I agree wholeheartedly that he should not have doubled down on both Steelers and Giants receivers, the dilemma there is that none of those 4 guys performed up to expectation in Week 1. Hence I doubt they'll command much in the way of value if he's looking to make a deal THIS WEEK. He'll get less value than what he got by drafting them before tanking his first matchup on purpose.

Whereas Peterson might well command more value this week than he will at any other point in the season. If he can turn AP into Lynch plus another RB/QB/TE mid-tier prospect I'd say do it in a heartbeat.

I have no problem with trying to trade away Cruz or Wallace for value following the first week they go off.

Fantomex

Now you're just trying to be argumentative. Who is better? "Boxcar" Bobby O'Toole for the 1922 Tuskaloosa Barnstormers? Don't pull crazy names. Be real.

Larry I just like conversating with you. But on the real though Ronnie Lott is the best man. Ray Lewis is arguably the best LB of all time but Ed Reed on most lists is still behind Rod Woodson and even Troy Poalamalu, i kid you not google it.

L0GIKILL

Neo Member
None of my WR are worth much at present. Although, I think Ill eventually end up with 2 that perform out of the 5. Im really trying to shore up my flex spot with the strongest possible option. I dont worry too much about bye weeks, in fact Im happy to get them out of the way at the same time with my WR duos.

Also, I have Andy Dalton to back up Vick. Additionally- Flacco, Gabbert, Sanchez, Palmer, and Cassel are stil available.

While I agree wholeheartedly that he should not have doubled down on both Steelers and Giants receivers, the dilemma there is that none of those 4 guys performed up to expectation in Week 1. Hence I doubt they'll command much in the way of value if he's looking to make a deal THIS WEEK. He'll get less value than what he got by drafting them before tanking his first matchup on purpose.

Whereas Peterson might well command more value this week than he will at any other point in the season. If he can turn AP into Lynch plus another RB/QB/TE mid-tier prospect I'd say do it in a heartbeat.

It would be even better if he turned one of those WRs into Lynch plus another mid tier prospect. Nicks performed pretty well this week to warrant an offer. I guess I'm basing it off how I do trades in FF and I'm not afraid to be a dick esp when money is involved. That's why he should start with a lower offer then escalate to AP should the person reject the trade idea.

But really the best idea is to wait it out a week or two.

Edit: my bad, Nicks sucked this week. Disregard that part.

Larry I just like conversating with you. But on the real though Ronnie Lott is the best man. Ray Lewis is arguably the best LB of all time but Ed Reed on most lists is still behind Rod Woodson and even Troy Poalamalu, i kid you not google it.

Polamalu and Ronnie Lott are a fair comparison to eachother, but Ed Reed, and even Woodson, don't play the same way. I'll give you this, Reed is the best safety in coverage, Lott is the best at the rest. Polamalu just got hype and rode the system, and his fellow talent. Definitely a top tier Safety all time, I can give him props, he kills us. He's really good. But he's not as good as Lott, and he's not as good as Ed Reed.

bionic77

Polamalu and Ronnie Lott are a fair comparison to eachother, but Ed Reed, and even Woodson, don't play the same way. I'll give you this, Reed is the best safety in coverage, Lott is the best at the rest. Polamalu just got hype and rode the system, and his fellow talent. Definitely a top tier Safety all time, I can give him props, he kills us. He's really good. But he's not as good as Lott, and he's not as good as Ed Reed.
Troy in his prime was as good as Reed.

But Reed's prime seems to be longer than Troy's.

That is how I see it. Lets not forget how good Troy was when he was younger.

CHI @ GB
TB @ NYG
OAK @ MIA
HOU @ JAC
CLE @ CIN
KC @ BUF
BAL @ PHI
NO @ CAR
ARI @ NE
MIN @ IND
WAS @ STL
DAL @ SEA
NYJ @ PIT
TEN @ SD
DET @ SF
DEN @ ATL

this_guy

With about half a quarter left in the first half the game was tied 3 to 3. Both teams had played decently on offense (basically starting drives well but stalling) but even better on defense. Then the disaster happened, which obviously lost the Dolphins the game and made both their offense and defense look like complete garbage. The first INT was on a slant route that Nannee should have caught and the next two were on tipped passes at the LOS. Obviously the o-line and Tannehill are partly responsible for those picks but to me they aren't nearly as egregious as the vast majority of INTs. The fourth TO was a fumble by Daniel Thomas, a guy who probably won't play next week due to a concussion. The Texans scored three TDs right at the end of the half off of those TOs which was impressive for their offense but it isn't too difficult to do with that kind of field position. So, besides the very end of the first half the Texans scored two FGs.

As far as the Dolphins offense the running game looked great (Reggie Bush had 69 yards on 14 carries) up until the end of the first half but it admittedly didn't help them finish drives. After the collapse their entire offensive gameplan was completely screwed so they had to rely on Tannehill passing for the entire second half which is obviously not something that's going to be very easy to do against a Texans D that knows exactly what to expect.

Personally I think they can hang in there with most teams (and especially average teams like the Raiders) if they can avoid disastrous bouts of turnovers like they had at the end of the first half on Sunday. They are a bad team but I'm not convinced they are as bad as most people around here seem to think. Even Tannehill showed some promise at times.

The Texans basically shut their offense down by middle of the third quarter and were just running down the clock. Texans fans hate that Kubiak goes ultra conservative way too early. They don't need to run up the score like the Saints but they should keep playing until at least well in to the fourth quarter.

eznark

Banned
Best defense is man free, it covers everything.*

*-When you're opponents receivers are terrible, or you have elite corners.

Or you don't think the opposing QB can throw further than 10 yards or past the numbers.

hahaha, 5 routes run, everyone covered and the nickel back doesn't even have to move.

Top Bottom