• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 2 |OT| The Replacements

LJ11

Or you don't think the opposing QB can throw further than 10 yards or past the numbers.

hahaha, 5 routes run, everyone covered and the nickel back doesn't even have to move.

Yup. No pocket either, have to throw the ball without using your lower half aka Cam Newton mechanics.

The Texans basically shut their offense down by middle of the third quarter and were just running down the clock. Texans fans hate that Kubiak goes ultra conservative way too early. They don't need to run up the score like the Saints but they should keep playing until at least well in to the fourth quarter.
Were they running down the clock for the first 3/4 of the first half as well? Until the turnover barrage happened the Dolphins were keeping up (and actually winning 3-0 most of the time). Also, it's not like they weren't moving the ball on offense at all, even in the second half when they were forced to pass on almost every play. The Fins were 0-3 in the red zone for the game (with 2 of those being failed 4th down attempts late in the game) so it's not like they weren't moving the ball at all, they just sucked at finishing drives. And again, Reggie Bush had a great first half running, he averaged 4.9 yards per carry.

I'm not trying to say the Dolphins played great or anything, just that they played better than the final score indicates. The turnovers were the difference maker, period.

eznark

Banned
Yup. No pocket either, have to throw the ball without using your lower half aka Cam Newton mechanics.

The Lions (mind you...the Lions) covered spread and a swing with 4 defensive backs and two guys basically sitting on their thumbs.

coa_schottenheimer_brian.jpg

Jets fans were right all along!

this_guy

Were they running down the clock for the first 3/4 of the first half as well? Until the turnover barrage happened the Dolphins were keeping up (and actually winning 3-0 most of the time). Also, it's not like they weren't moving the ball on offense at all, even if the second half. The Fins were 0-3 in the red zone for the game (with 2 of those being failed 4th down attempts late in the game) so it's not like they weren't moving the ball at all, they just sucked at finishing drives. And again, Reggie Bush had a great first half running, he averaged 4.9 yards per carry.

I'm not trying to say the Dolphins played great or anything, just that they played better than the final score indicates. The turnovers were the difference maker, period.

The offense was off to a slow start - Houston fans don't think that the Texans played great. Offense started slow, the offensive line is still a work in progress, and yet they still won easily by 20 points. Against better teams it won't be this easy.

MechDX

Is this really true? I dont see how it could be. I would have taken a no necked Manning over Schaub. Hell I would take the crippled Manning brother over Schaub. That might be the stupidest decision ever if true.

According to a beat reporter in Denver who pretty much accurately predicted everything that happened during the Manning visits: yes it did. Manning approached Houston willing to sign for less than what Denver offered but the Texans said no thanks.

McNair's loyalty to payers and coaches is maddening at times to be honest.

The offense was off to a slow start - Houston fans don't think that the Texans played great. Offense started slow, the offensive line is still a work in progress, and yet they still won easily by 20 points. Against better teams it won't be this easy.
That's one way to look at it. I look at it this way --- the Texans three TDs came on drives that started at their own 46, Miami's 27, and Miami's 31. Not only that, they took place back to back to back since the Dolphins turned the ball over on three consecutive plays so the D was probably dead tired. That 6 minute span decided the outcome of the entire game and the Dolphins D held up just fine for the other 54 minutes.

Side note: I can't wait until the Dolphins get blown out by the Raiders this weekend so I can stop trying to convince myself that they aren't absolute trash.

squicken

Or you don't think the opposing QB can throw further than 10 yards or past the numbers.

hahaha, 5 routes run, everyone covered and the nickel back doesn't even have to move.

I feel like I insult Bradford sufficiently to not get considered an apologist anymore. They have nothing in the way of speed. Steve Smith is woefully miscast as an outside guy, and Gibson has always been JAG

this_guy

That's one way to look at it. I look at it this way --- the Texans three TDs came on drives that started at their own 46, Miami's 27, and Miami's 31. Not only that, they took place back to back to back since the Dolphins turned the ball over on three consecutive plays so the D was probably dead tired. That 6 minute span decided the outcome of the entire game and the Dolphins D held up just fine for the other 54 minutes.

Yes that's all true - Miami was absolutely crushed in a 6 minute stretch. It's not like those were careless Miami just gave the ball away - those were forced turnovers by the Houston D. Once Houston has a big lead Kubiak shuts it down. Texans fans saw that plenty of times last year early in the season when Schaub was healthy.

Smokey

Rams have to get better outside WRs. It doesn't matter on this play, but Lions have no respect for deep pass or really anything Gibson does. 1v1 up top and just stoned.

http://i.minus.com/iY7xr2961pZVf.gif

I'm interested to see how long you keep this up. The rams are in worse shape than the texans have been excluding those couple years after the expansion.

I think you are like me in your mehness of schaub. I saw the glimmer in your posts when TJ was slangin last year.

The darkest red: texans played like absolute shit and still won by 20. Reggie looked good tho.

Heh, totally posted this stuff in the wrong thread. The Poligaf thread to be exact. (busy with work and trying to post during a busy spell is not adviseable!)

I'm so proud.

Pro Football Focus @PFF

NYG CB Corey Webster has given up the most receiving yards in the NFL through Wk 1 - 127 on 5 catches
Retweeted by Ralph Vacchiano

*vomit*

Web had best get his head out of his ass quickly.

MechDX

330x235

This man was fucking up your passing game.

eznark

Banned
I feel like I insult Bradford sufficiently to not get considered an apologist anymore. They have nothing in the way of speed. Steve Smith is woefully miscast as an outside guy, and Gibson has always been JAG

Who is running the route on the bottom? It's funny, watch the safety. He is saying "fuck you Bradford, you cannot throw deep." Not only does he immediately roll right, he also doesn't drop.

Smokey

According to a beat reporter in Denver who pretty much accurately predicted everything that happened during the Manning visits: yes it did. Manning approached Houston willing to sign for less than what Denver offered but the Texans said no thanks.

Noneck peyton would have been so good :(. Thanks for bringing down my day

effzee

Checking in from Rome. Nice too see the Eagles barely squeak by the Browns. What a joke this coaching staff is. Vick was terrible but read he threw 50+ times in a close game while McCoy was averaging 5 plus yards per carry. The way the line run blocks, how poorly Vick reads and reacts, and how awesome McCoy is, this should be a run first team.

Never fail to learn Reid. God can't wait till he is fired. Ravens are going to obliterate us.

You speak Latin ?

No but I have read Julies Ceaser a few times.

Man that sucks. I really wanted the Eagles to go after him even though they owed Vick so much this year.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Polamalu and Ronnie Lott are a fair comparison to eachother, but Ed Reed, and even Woodson, don't play the same way. I'll give you this, Reed is the best safety in coverage, Lott is the best at the rest.

That's only because when Lott was at his best in coverage, he was still playing cornerback. All-Pro at all secondary positions!

squicken

I'm interested to see how long you keep this up. The rams are in worse shape than the texans have been excluding those couple years after the expansion.

I think you are like me in your mehness of schaub. I saw the glimmer in your posts when TJ was slangin last year.

The darkest red: texans played like absolute shit and still won by 20. Reggie looked good tho.

I just hate what Schaub represents. Gary is sooo afraid of risk. Keeps bringing back Walter b/c he can block. Who cares if he can't get open? Same with Schaub. Andre Johnson has never had a 10 TD season and people say that is somehow proof of some flaw in his game. Schaub steals 5 TDs a year from him with awful underthrows.

I liked the Yates era until he got exposed pretty badly. Solid backup but he's no answer either. And with Rick, Gary and Matt all running things for the next 3 years I just can't get too excited. That said I do love that defense. Watt is awesome and I'm glad that damn Milkman nickname is going away

effzee

Wow...

Did Jarrett even play?

LMAO!!! Knew he was a bust but everyone kept trying to hype him up simply because he was their precious pick.

And too add to it they released the only depth they had at safety during pre season. And to add another WR? So now Vick can throw 70 times? Paper thin at safety. I swear every year Reid either forgets a position or has 0 depth.

Also lol@ the Raiders fans pictures...but but only Eagles fans act rowdy.

MechDX

Noneck peyton would have been so good :(. Thanks for bringing down my day

manningtexan.jpg

Sorry I had to.

Heck it gets better: McClain tweeted before the season started that the Browns offered their 2nd first round draft pick this past draft straight up for Ben Tate and Houston declined.

So I've been thinking about this, and I've come to the only conclusion possible.
The Bucs cheated.
Think about it, Greg Schiano's hero is Bill Belichick, the Panthers had to practice in Florida.
The only logical explanation for them beating us is them spying on our practices.
Their defense sucks, and everyone knows college coaches never amount to anything in the NFL.
Martin is a bum compared to our RBs, and that lazy fuck Blount faked an injury just so he wouldn't have to play.
We should have won, Freeman is a fat fuck that throws picks, not TDs.
That bastard Barron should have been flagged for hitting Steve Smith like that, where were the refs?
Ah yes, the refs. Another guilty party, throwing bogus PI flags and giving the cheating Bucs more chances to score.
The cheating Bucs were roughing Cam all game, were they trying to hurt him like the scumbag Aints? I bet they have a bounty program, scumbags.

This game was rigged!
There is no other reason for this loss, we're the better team.
We got Belicheated, I demand an investigation!

Now, on to this week's picks.
THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 13TH

CHI @ GB

SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 16TH

TB @ NYG Your cheating won't work on Eli, Greg "Belicheat" Schiano!

OAK @ MIA

HOU @ JAC

CLE @ CIN

KC @ BUF

BAL @ PHI

NO @ CAR Fuck the Aints.

ARI @ NE

MIN @ IND

WAS @ STL

DAL @ SEA

NYJ @ PIT They played the Bills, it was a fluke.

TEN @ SD

DET @ SF

MONDAY SEPTEMBER 17TH

DEN @ ATL Manning > Cowardly

squicken

Who is running the route on the bottom? It's funny, watch the safety. He is saying "fuck you Bradford, you cannot throw deep." Not only does he immediately roll right, he also doesn't drop.

Steve Smith. Not an outside guy. It's just terrible. Wayne Hunter is the LT. Watching them play offense is excruciating

this_guy

manningtexan.jpg

Sorry I had to.

Heck it gets better: McClain tweeted before the season started that the Browns offered their 2nd first round draft pick this past draft straight up for Ben Tate and Houston declined.

McClain on 610 sports radio said he was wrong about that. I don't remember when I heard it (few months back) but I remember hearing it.

gutshot

LMAO!!! Knew he was a bust but everyone kept trying to hype him up simply because he was their precious pick.

And too add to it they released the only depth they had at safety during pre season. And to add another WR? So now Vick can throw 70 times? Paper thin at safety. I swear every year Reid either forgets a position or has 0 depth.

Maclin is banged up with a hip injury and may be out this week. The Gilyard pickup was necessary otherwise we'd go into a game with literally only 3 active WRs. Not surprised Jarrett was cut. The guy couldn't get on the field, not even as a special teamer. What a waste of a second round pick.

jakncoke

Banned

Reid boner just moved his mupa

Smokey

I just hate what Schaub represents. Gary is sooo afraid of risk. Keeps bringing back Walter b/c he can block. Who cares if he can't get open? Same with Schaub. Andre Johnson has never had a 10 TD season and people say that is somehow proof of some flaw in his game. Schaub steals 5 TDs a year from him with awful underthrows.

I tried explaining the underthrowing to captive and he called me an idiot. Anybody that follows the team can see it. Kubiak also leaves AJ out of the offense inside the 8 or so A LOT.

MechDX said:
Sorry I had to.

I knew about this one, but I can some what rationalize why they decided not to.

Slo said:
They released a 2nd round pick? Shit somebody in the scouting dept better be out too.
It's the quickness of the release that surprised me. I mean sometimes the pick doesn't work out but most front offices give these players time to develop when they're taken so high. Apparently there wasn't any incentive to give him that time...

effzee said:
So now Vick can throw 70 times?
It was the scab refs, bro. They altered Andy's game plan.

don't hate me yankeehater!

MechDX

I tried explaining the underthrowing to captive and he called me an idiot. Anybody that follows the team can see it. Kubiak also leaves AJ out of the offense inside the 8 or so A LOT.

You dont think Schaubs passes this year look more sharp and have more velocity? Did you also notice he threw a fade route to AJ for a TD Sunday?

this_guy

After AJ made the long catch in the 3rd and got pushed out around the 4 yard line, he wasn't on the field at all for the next 3 plays. Even if they're dead set on giving Foster the ball, having AJ out there would at least make the defense account for AJ.

effzee

Maclin is banged up with a hip injury and may be out this week. The Gilyard pickup was necessary otherwise we'd go into a game with literally only 3 active WRs. Not surprised Jarrett was cut. The guy couldn't get on the field, not even as a special teamer. What a waste of a second round pick.

And what depth do we have at safety now? Why do we have 4RBs when we barely run the ball?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I can't see how someone could pick Miami. Miami looked terrible on both sides of the ball. If it wasn't for special teams, the Raiders might have won that game. The defense looked alright considering SD was starting on Raiders' territory every time. Raiders sucked, but Miami sucked way more.
how come they didnt go all TMQ and just not punt?

Did you know that Rams lost to AZ twice last year b/c of Patrick Peterson punt returns? Even after numerous long returns, and a TD return that had beat them the previous meeting, they kept kicking it to him. They asked Spags "hey retard, why keep kicking it to him? Why not kick it out of bounds?" And Spags said Donnie Jones wasn't good at directional punting, so all they could do was kick it down the middle.

Fisher didn't bring back Donnie Jones, but you know who signed him? The Houston Texans. You know who gave up a week one punt return TD? The Houston Texans

Do you know how many teams Peyton Manning rejected? Marino had to beg him to just take a meeting with Ross. Bud Adams offered him a blank check and he turned it down. Jim Harbaugh, the best coach since Bill Walsh, tried to get him to come to SF. AZ, SEA, and several others inquired. He said no to them all

Do you know the only team that Peyton called himself? So that he could fuck Jim Irsay twice a year and win another SB? The one team above all others he wanted to play for? The Houston Texans. And they said no. So that they could sign Matt Schaub to a contract extension.

I am not a Texans fan
lmao there's so much wrong with this post its not even funny.
Harbaugh is the best coach since Bill Walsh? Really?
He's a damn good coach, so far, but lets not crown his ass just yet.

you're not a fan of the Texans because they signed a punter that Fischer cut or didnt want and thats the sole reason they gave up a punt return TD against the dolphins, really? Had nothing to do with the horrible kick coverage on the punt, just maybe?

And lastly the texans are so terrible, that you jump off the band wagon during the first ever winning season, for the fucking Rams and the rams are somehow better off? They are currently providing you with more hope than one of the most balanced teams across the board in the NFL is? Yea ok.

Is this really true? I dont see how it could be. I would have taken a no necked Manning over Schaub. Hell I would take the crippled Manning brother over Schaub. That might be the stupidest decision ever if true.
No. I highly doubt this happened.
As fucking nice as it would be to have him and to wish, I just highly highly doubt this was the case.

Eagles had to cut someone to bring in a WR, sucks it was Jarret though. He looked good the last 2 pre-season games and then he didnt play on Sunday. Hopefully they can put him on the practice squad or something.

effzee

It's the quickness of the release that surprised me. I mean sometimes the pick doesn't work out but most front offices give these players time to develop when they're taken so high. Apparently there wasn't any incentive to give him time

Exactly when you would rather cut your backup safety over the #3 or #4 RB, it tells you how badly they drafted. Since Dawkins and Mickell, the Eagles FO has mismanaged both safety positions spectacularly whether through the draft or FA signings.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
You dont think Schaubs passes this year look more sharp and have more velocity? Did you also notice he threw a fade route to AJ for a TD Sunday?
it doesnt matter, schaub is trash and we should just cut him. We don't need a strong competent QB we have Case Keenum and TJ Yates! And Vince young is available as well. Freaking awesome trifecta.

hey, jackass, I never called you an idiot, nor any other name, until this post. get your shit straight.

cajunator

Banned
I was wondering how long until someone piked the Eagles who wasnt an Eagles fan. Well done. For a dirty front running cheats fan you are alright.

I did as well.

So I've been thinking about this, and I've come to the only conclusion possible.
The Bucs cheated.
Think about it, Greg Schiano's hero is Bill Belichick, the Panthers had to practice in Florida.
The only logical explanation for them beating us is them spying on our practices.
Their defense sucks, and everyone knows college coaches never amount to anything in the NFL.
Martin is a bum compared to our RBs, and that lazy fuck Blount faked an injury just so he wouldn't have to play.
We should have won, Freeman is a fat fuck that throws picks, not TDs.
That bastard Barron should have been flagged for hitting Steve Smith like that, where were the refs?
Ah yes, the refs. Another guilty party, throwing bogus PI flags and giving the cheating Bucs more chances to score.
The cheating Bucs were roughing Cam all game, were they trying to hurt him like the scumbag Aints? I bet they have a bounty program, scumbags.

This game was rigged!
There is no other reason for this loss, we're the better team.
We got Belicheated, I demand an investigation!

Now, on to this week's picks.
THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 13TH

CHI @ GB

SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 16TH

TB @ NYG Your cheating won't work on Eli, Greg "Belicheat" Schiano!

OAK @ MIA

HOU @ JAC

CLE @ CIN

KC @ BUF

BAL @ PHI

NO @ CAR Fuck the Aints.

ARI @ NE

MIN @ IND

WAS @ STL

DAL @ SEA

NYJ @ PIT They played the Bills, it was a fluke.

TEN @ SD

DET @ SF

MONDAY SEPTEMBER 17TH

DEN @ ATL Manning > Cowardly

I like you. You have an avatar of Steve Guttenberg from Short Circuit and you're completely delusional.

squicken

It's the quickness of the release that surprised me. I mean sometimes the pick doesn't work out but most front offices give these players time to develop when they're taken so high.

Are you a fan of Pro Football Focus? Just read their writeup of the Rams game, and they credit Wayne Hunter with no pressures allowed. I'm not sure what "pressures" are in their eyes, but in mine, he sure as hell did

MechDX

it doesnt matter, schaub is trash and we should just cut him. We don't need a strong competent QB we have Case Keenum and TJ Yates! And Vince young is available as well. Freaking awesome trifecta.

hey, jackass, I never called you an idiot, nor any other name, until this post. get your shit straight.

Wut?? Why not just trade for Colt McCoy as well! Orange bloods and Red bloods could just have a giant circle jerk inside Relant on game day.

Off this topic:
A2in2hKCMAIYvqR.png

From the soundbite furing MNF halftime

Top Bottom