• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 3 |OT| Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
a 3rd for Finley

I would not even blink or bat an eye. He'd be gone faster than fuck.

Can't block, can't catch, can't run routes, can't hold on to the football, can't remember plays, can't remember down/distance and is a mouthy bitch?

And you'll compensate me for taking him off my hands?!

YES PLEASE

The guy is the absolute embodiment of wasted talent. And he doesn't even have the decency to be a drug addict or some other deviant which would make his failure easily attributable. He's just been given all of the talent in the entire world, molded into the perfect TE specimen, and been given the mental capacity of a retarded barnacle with downs syndrome.

I'd prefer a 2nd.

I wonder how dealing Finley'd effect the Jennings situation. Although shaving 7.5m off the cap isn't much.

We'll see how the rest of this season goes. I think Ted'll seriously consider it unless he stops dropping and taking plays off.
Both Williams and Quarless strike me as Jordy types, workers who'll keep at it because they want to be great and love the game.

Losing both Finley and Jennings wouldn't be good though.

Also :jnc. Well done.

Cagey

Banned

Can't block, can't catch, can't run routes, can't hold on to the football, can't remember plays, can't remember down/distance and is a mouthy bitch?

YES PLEASE

The guy is the absolute embodiment of wasted talent. And he doesn't even have the decency to be a drug addict or some other deviant which would make his failure easily attributable. He's just been given all of the talent in the entire world, molded into the perfect TE specimen, and been given the mental capacity of a retarded barnacle with downs syndrome.

He's a overhyped, overdiscussed, overdrafted in fantasy football, too much sand in the vag version of Martellus Bennett. The same guy that Cowboys let walk and the Giants (...perhaps the only team) were only willing to pay a meager $1 million to.

A 3rd would be robbery.

eznark

Banned
He's a overhyped, overdiscussed, overdrafted in fantasy football, too much sand in the vag version of Martellus Bennett. The same guy that Cowboys let walk and the Giants (...perhaps the only team) were only willing to pay a meager $1 million to.

A 3rd would be robbery.

Don't get me wrong I hate Finley, but this is a reaaaaaally terrible comparison.

jmdajr

Story please brah.

QB Vince Young out of the game and out of money
s-VINCE-YOUNG-large.jpg

(a link was posted a few pages back as well..)

DALLAS (AP) — Six years after entering the NFL as the third player taken in the draft, Vince Young finds himself without a team and with just a fraction of the money he received from a contract that guaranteed him $26 million.

The question is, where did it all go?

In an increasingly caustic war of words, attorneys have been arguing for months over whether Young is an out-of-control spender who put himself deeply in the hole or simply a victim of inexperienced advisers, one of whom was his own uncle.

Either way, the quarterback whose future seemed unlimited after he led Texas to a Rose Bowl victory in 2006 is now back home in Houston and in a tenuous financial condition.

"I would just say that Vince needs a job," said Trey Dolezal, Young's attorney, when asked to give a general assessment of his client's finances.

more...

YES PLEASE

Bravo, sir. Well put. Every year is the year he finally puts it together. Rodgers apparently doesn't like him and if you can't produce on the field then your bullshit off it can't be ignored.

Only problem I have is that its not like the rest of the offense has performed much better thus far this season. Everyone has had huge drops, sloppy routes etc. Finley has the fumble though.

No way Ted will do anything with him until the end of the season though, and probably rightfully so.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yes that's true. I've never seen a safety bite so hard on a fake end-around

With the playcalls the Skins were making, I almost cant blame him too much. If that was actually handed off, it could have been a big gain.

In Pats news, Branch is coming back! Yay. Also, Brian Waters refused a pay raise to come back.

eznark

Banned
Bravo, sir. Well put. Every year is the year he finally puts it together. Rodgers apparently doesn't like him and if you can't produce on the field then your bullshit off it can't be ignored.

Only problem I have is that its not like the rest of the offense has performed much better thus far this season. Everyone has had huge drops, sloppy routes etc. Finley has the fumble though.

No way Ted will do anything with him until the end of the season though, and probably rightfully so.

Oh for sure. I don't disagree with you. But to be fair, they've played the 49ers and Bears (on a short schedule no less), not exactly defenses you expect to torch easily. Seattle has a good defense, but if the Packers can't move the ball against a Seattle defense that will likely be on the field a whole lot after a long week then I will be worried.

And no, the Packers are stuck with Finley for the remainder of the season (at least) but I do think McCarthy and Clements are starting to phase him out of the game plans and this past weeks performance will just accelerate that.

I don't actually have a huge issue with the fumble, that kind of stuff can happen. The drops make me mad but again some of those are tough catches in traffic and you can see a few drops here and there. It's the inability to read defenses on combo routes, the terrible blitz recognition and most egregiously his complete lack of give-a-fuck when blocking.

Oh for sure. I don't disagree with you. But to be fair, they've played the 49ers and Bears (on a short schedule no less), not exactly defenses you expect to torch easily. Seattle has a good defense, but if the Packers can't move the ball against a Seattle defense that will likely be on the field a whole lot after a long week then I will be worried.

And no, the Packers are stuck with Finley for the remainder of the season (at least) but I do think McCarthy and Clements are starting to phase him out of the game plans and this past weeks performance will just accelerate that.

I don't actually have a huge issue with the fumble, that kind of stuff can happen. The drops make me mad but again some of those are tough catches in traffic and you can see a few drops here and there. It's the inability to read defenses on combo routes, the terrible blitz recognition and most egregiously his complete lack of give-a-fuck when blocking.

Should have posted the gif of his "block" on the flats pass to Cobb against the bears

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
From that Vince Young article

Ronnie Peoples is the finance guy VY is suing, here's a respone from Peoples
Peoples claims in the countersuit that every decision he made was approved by Keith Young. And he calls Vince Young's unwillingness to accept responsibility "a common occurrence ... as (former Titans coach) Jeff Fisher, (Texas coach) Mack Brown, numerous NFL executives, coaches, teammates, scouts, girlfriends and illegitimate children will attest."

:lol at the low blows in the countersuit.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's weird how my hate for Jermichael Finley went from sort of ironic and half-hearted last season to full blown disgust this season.

I'm thinking that Green Bay keeps him for the rest of this season and will only keep him around if he plays like the player he claims to be. Which won't happen.

Alternatively, if he keeps running his mouth off, he'll ride the bench.

squicken

http://www.hogshaven.com/2012/9/19/...led-the-defensive-plays-in-the-fourth-quarter

Supposedly Shanahan took play-calling duties away from Haslett and gave them to Raheem. The two were seen arguing on the sidelines at one point

r. After an argument between Jim Haslett and Raheem on the sidelines during the game--ostensibly due to the lack of adjustment made by the defense against Sam Bradford's dissection of our zone scheme--Morris emerged with play-calling duties. This decision was made by head coach Mike Shanahan.

It gets worse. Players are starting to take sides.

Morris wanted to play more man coverage to respond to what the Rams were doing with Danny Amendola, specifically. It seems that Haslett was bent on employing his zone schemes. We have to be fair here and speculate that he was reeling from the losses of Carriker and Orakpo, and was trying to cover up other deficiencies in our defense. That said, even the announcers calling the game commented on the lack of adjustment made by our defense against the St. Louis offense. Members of the secondary were begging to go man on the opposing receivers.

We all saw that play where Perry Riley (an inside linebacker) had coverage responsibility on Steve Smith out of the slot. We all saw how fast Sam Bradford recognized it and got the ball to Smith. We all saw how much cushion Danny Amendola was given by our corners in the first half. I'm told that our own players were upset that playcalls like these were essentially setting them up to fail (and look bad). You can't expect Perry Riley to run with a guy like Steve Smith, yet that was exactly what that play called for Riley to do.
[/quote]

squicken said:
Supposedly Shanahan took play-calling duties away from Haslett and gave them to Raheem. The two were seen arguing on the sidelines at one point
Reading that article, that sounds bad for a defense that already has taken some major blows with the loss of two big name players. It seems to be the Skins luck though. They seem to finally get a playmaker at QB and the offense is somewhat clicking and now the defense (which has been solid for years now) is falling apart.

The Giants are going through a bit of this right now without the seemingly public coordinator spat. Corey Webster specifically came out and said he wanted the Giants CB's to play more press and he wasn't a fan of the soft zones he's being asked to play. Fewell came out and agreed with him more aggressiveness may be called for moving forward. I guess we'll see how the Giants CB's deal with the Panthers WR's on Thursday as to whether that's the case or not.

Article on that here with some gifs showing Corey in zone and the plays given up to Jackson:

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/9/1...ants-secondary-perry-fewell-carolina-panthers

The funny (or less funny if you're a Giants fan) part is that even when he's lined up to play press, Jackson blows by him like he's not even there.

giants2_medium.gif

He doesn't redirect him at the line or even get a hand on him until he's already taken the outside position. Even worse, he does an awful job of contesting the catch. It looks he trips and just goes for Jackson's legs once the catch is made. (and oh hey, Antrel Rolle is late and takes a poor angle! SHOCK!)

Striker

He knows the corners around the league are getting away with lots of interference calls you would normally see called with regular refs, and they (d-coordinating) aren't taking advantage of it.

this_guy

wut?!

90% of his sacks were when he was unblocked or against a TE. What he is and should be is a 3-4 DE. He simply lacks pass rushing skills

This right there. The Texans move him around to put him in position 'to win' - meaning they try to give him easier match ups and what not. Otherwise his go to move is to run a big circle around the quarterback and not be in the play. Antonio Smith doesn't get the big sack numbers, but the last few years he's the one that creates the most pressure. Now JJ Watt is coming in and disrupting everything.

Striker

Aren't PI calls up?
Not sure. I've only watched primarily the Giants games so far (did see the GB/SF and GB/CHI games too) but both it felt like they're letting a lot of it slide.

Talib was aggressive as all hell and only got called, if I recall, twice for interference.

Striker said:
Talib was aggressive as all hell and only got called, if I recall, twice for interference.
Defensive holding is what's being under called and I think that's just the refs being gunshy about having accusations lobbed their way that they are calling holding in general TOO much. I don't particularly mind it or care to be honest. Despite Talib having a handful of jersey every play, it's not like it did much to stop Nicks from rattling off 200 yards receiving. If it's downright blatant it should be called, sure but I'm on the side of letting them play for the most part.

overcast

Thursday, September 20th
NYG @ CAR

Sunday, September 23th
TB @ DAL
JAC @ IND
BUF @ CLE
NYJ @ MIA
KC @ NO
CIN @ WAS
STL @ CHI I really think this game will be close, hopefully we pull it out.
SF @ MIN Blowout
DET @ TEN Will be a close game, Detroit will win either way.

ATL @ SD Good game, but ATL looks really good right now.
PHI @ ARI I almost went with the Cards, all depends on Vick.
PIT @ OAK Blowout
HOU @ DEN Possibly the game of the week, if Denver from week 1 shows up.

NE @ BAL Very good game, I feel like the Patriots will show up this week.

Monday, September 24th
GB @ SEA Will be closer than most think.

squicken

ez scoll to the bottom for some stat breakdown on penalties

http://www.footballperspective.com/nyt-fifth-down-post-week-2/

Reading that article, that sounds bad for a defense that already has taken some major blows with the loss of two big name players. It seems to be the Skins luck though. They seem to finally get a playmaker at QB and the offense is somewhat clicking and now the defense (which has been solid for years now) is falling apart.

The Giants are going through a bit of this right now without the seemingly public coordinator spat. Corey Webster specifically came out and said he wanted the Giants CB's to play more press and he wasn't a fan of the soft zones he's being asked to play. Fewell came out and agreed with him more aggressiveness may be called for moving forward. I guess we'll see how the Giants CB's deal with the Panthers WR's on Thursday as to whether that's the case or not.

Article on that here with some gifs showing Corey in zone and the plays given up to Jackson:

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/9/1...ants-secondary-perry-fewell-carolina-panthers

The funny (or less funny if you're a Giants fan) part is that even when he's lined up to play press, Jackson blows by him like he's not even there.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1197449/giants2_medium.gif[/IG][/QUOTE]

The thing with the Skins though is that if you have a DL that is banged up, shouldn't you play more zone? Amendola's big reception came vs man. I said during and after the game that it was crazy for them to play so much zone against STL, but given WAS' injury situation I'm not sure that's true. Even Bradford and the Rams WRs can beat man if they have time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom