• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 3 |OT| Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

I don't mind the Jones trade despite how amazing he looks. Frankly we needed the picks. I think the Weeden pick was a waste though. Holmgren knew he had to win now to have any chance to stay in his job and thought Weeden in his rookie year would fare better than McCoy starting - highly debatable.

I'd have much preferred that pick spent on a WR or OL. Instead we gave up our second rounder next year on a project to cover our WR deficiencies and our guards are woeful.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if we had the No. 1 pick next year that Barkley or whoever refuses to play for us and we trade that pick away to the likes of the Jets/Chiefs/Eagles.

The fact that Holmgren traded up to the Vikes for Richardson is reason enough to get canned,

Dragon

Banned
Everyone expected the scabs to be bad, they have been, and now the players and coaches are giving them zero respect. Even if a deal isn't brokered with the real officials, Goodell has to come out and say something. He can't have coaches grabbing officials. And he can't have outcomes being skewed. And he can't have games continue to take longer and longer.

Justin Houston looked pretty fucking badass yesterday. Any Chiefs fan (or somebody else) here who can tell me more about how he has played since he got drafted?

I liked him in the pre-draft process when he came out, but seems like he hasn't made a large impact before this game.

And he can't have games continue to take longer and longer.

This is also a thing, that game took forever yesterday, it was fucking 6 AM when it ended.

Fox318

This is first place in the AFC East. Are you kidding me.

df1d445ee5e26a3314a5f9f82b55fb0a_large
Thats half my quarterback!

Wes

venison crêpe
WTF? Are you really this upset over the Eagles winning in week 1? Even if the Eagles do decide to part ways with Vick in the offseason, which seems very unlikely they would definitely give Foles a shot next year and bring in an experienced backup. No way would they draft the next bust out of USC.

Take it easy. I genuinely thought the Eagles would be looking for a QB next year in the draft if Vick didn't work. I had completely forgotten about Foles. Didn't mean anything by it.

NH Apache

Banned
It's always fun after a Pats loss. The shit talkers shake their fist and proclaim. "Next week!" then disappear like a cart in the wind. Leaving behind the 3-4 actual fans that have been here all year to stick around. Worst fanbase in football.

Just because people don't post in this this thread every day/month doesn't mean that you aren't a true fan.
There are many better reasons to call us the worst fanbase.

Take it easy. I genuinely thought the Eagles would be looking for a QB next year in the draft if Vick didn't work. I had completely forgotten about Foles. Didn't mean anything by it.

No problem just seemed weird to see you take 2 shots at him today. I just heard that the Card were credited with 22 hits. I really am amazed that Vick survived that game. A few more weeks of that and it will b Foles future for sure.

Quikies83

Justin Houston looked pretty fucking badass yesterday. Any Chiefs fan (or somebody else) here who can tell me more about how he has played since he got drafted?

I liked him in the pre-draft process when he came out, but seems like he hasn't made a large impact before this game.

This is also a thing, that game took forever yesterday, it was fucking 6 AM when it ended.

He started the final 6 games of last season -- had a bit of a slow start but finished really, really strong - 5 sacks in final 2 games. He's really stepping up big in the run defense and has had great success at getting after the QB - especially when Tamba Hali is lined up on the opposite side.
Yesterday Houston had 3 sacks and safety. Huge up-side for this kid.

NH Apache

Banned
And he's not a wideout. He's a fullback, dammit.

Know how I know you're new? Because hurt feelings.

I was posting in this thread before you thought about joining gaf. The off you go comment was unnecessary.

The guy isn't new. I remember when I had the Pat the Patriot avatar he bitched to me about stealing his.

Haha well I don't know about bitching but it was the exact same avvy.

Anyways, carry on, I guess.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The guy isn't new. I remember when I had the Pat the Patriot avatar he bitched to me about stealing his.

So, he just pops in to bitch about stupid stuff? Lifelongs are so cute that way. It's okay, at least you know your heart is true.

Black and shriveled for supporting New England filth, but true, nonetheless.

WanderingWind

Guys, come on, this isn't a Foxconn plant.

I mean, seriously. Everybody gives everybody shit. How many times have we seen the Wide Right pic? Getting hurt feelings about trash talking ITT is just...not good.

It's all in good fun. No need to get all "strawman/ad hominem/social commentary" up in this banned word.

He started the final 6 games of last season -- had a bit of a slow start but finished really, really strong - 5 sacks in final 2 games. He's really stepping up big in the run defense and has had great success at getting after the QB - especially when Tamba Hali is lined up on the opposite side.
Yesterday Houston had 3 sacks and safety. Huge up-side for this kid.

Great, dude looked amazing when he came out. Really wanted the Pats to draft him. Always cool to see a young guy step up like this. You got 2 great LBs in Hali and Houston.

Thanks for the info.

Milchjon

I get hurt by trash talking in this thread all the time. Fuck you Eli, fuck you Tyree, fuck everyone, fuck the refs, fuck the Ravens fuckfuckfuck

squicken

I've only been following the league for a few years so I'm wondering what kind of precedence there is for sacking a manager early during the season?
?

The history for interim coaches replacing fired ones isn't good, but then usually coaches that get fired are coaching bad teams. I kind of think that if he fires Holmgren then he probably has to fire Shurmur at the same time. But the Rams had this problem last year when everyone knew Spags would be gone. Who on the staff takes over? The Rams had no one so Spags had to finish it out.

WanderingWind

I get hurt by trash talking in this thread all the time. Fuck you Eli, fuck you Tyree, fuck everyone, fuck the refs, fuck the Ravens fuckfuckfuck

It's okay. You have 3* Lombardi trophies to comfort you.

*will be stricken from the record books as soon as BB is out of the league.

Dragon

Banned
So, he just pops in to bitch about stupid stuff? Lifelongs are so cute that way. It's okay, at least you know your heart is true.

Black and shriveled for supporting New England filth, but true, nonetheless.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has made you more bitter than I thought possible.

Fucking Ravens

The supposed better New England defense gave up 500 yards to the Ravens. Including an inconceivable 392 yards to Joe Flacco. Any balanced team will destroy this defense. Yay they stopped Chris Johnson, like every other team out there.

bionic77

I feel like a broken record complaining about the scabs, but the ones that did the Eagles Cards game didnt know basic rules and they totally fucked up 1 play. They had no effect on the outcome though, no refs on Earth could have gotten the Eagles a win in that game, but it still sucks to see the refs bungle rules that I know and the announcers know. It was clear that the guy from the league office had to explain the rules to the head ref a few times. I really hope they reach n agreement soon. The old refs sucked big time but at least it seemed like the knew the rules, and they didnt take 10 minutes to spot the ball.
I am with you brother, at least until the Eagles come to Pittsburgh in 2 weeks when we will be enemies.

I think the Steelers game took more than 4 hours. WTF is this, baseball?

Fuck this shit. And fuck the Steelers defense. That was one of the most pathetic displays I have seen in a long time. This is worse than the time we got Grabowskied (which hurt pretty bad, I won't lie, dude scored like 3 TDs in the 4th quarter). Tomlin needs to work some fucking magic during this bye week and we need to get a health Harrison back to save us. God I hope that roided up monster is going to be 100%.

The fumble recovery for a TD has just been stuck in my head. I didn't see enough of the Patriots game to make more jokes about BB.

Man that fumble was one of the worst plays ever. Eagles get the touched down there and the 3rd quarter plays out the same as it did they could have been down 17-13 to a vastly superior team on the road. Vick said in his press conference he saw #25 on the line and he knew he was going to blitz and they had no one over there to cover him, and yet he still tried to hold the ball for ever. His not giving up on plays is his best quality and his worst.

Quikies83

Great, dude looked amazing when he came out. Really wanted the Pats to draft him. Always cool to see a young guy step up like this. You got 2 great LBs in Hali and Houston.

Thanks for the info.

No problem. The guy really did us a favor by smoking up before the combine -- no way he should have fallen that far to us in the 3rd round.

KingKong

what in the world got into Christian Ponder, does this guy actually have potential? This is only his second year (and he only played 11 games in the first) after all

eznark

Banned
Ended his career didn't he? So he was justified. The Cheat? Not so much. Should be harsher that whatever the Browns player got.

LET'S GO SEAHAWKS! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!

Are you finally starting to believe me on Ponder you cynical fuck, you?

Milchjon

It's okay. You have 3* Lombardi trophies to comfort you.

*will be stricken from the record books as soon as BB is out of the league.

They were before my time. I just wanted to see Brady win another to shut you haters up. But I guess time is running out now. Oh well, Mallett future.

Wrayfield

I've only been following the league for a few years so I'm wondering what kind of precedence there is for sacking a manager early during the season?

I think Shurmur will be 0-7 (@Ravens, @Giants, Bengals, @Colts) when Haslam takes over. We already know Joe Banner is likely coming in as an executive (probably to replace Holmgren?) and is quoted as saying he wants to work somewhere that requires a complete turnaround... well that's the Browns.

I think Haslam will blow it up. Get rid of Shurmur and Holmgren, possibly Heckert but I wouldn't mind if he stayed - he has hit more than he has missed in the draft (McCoy and Weeden were Holmgren overruling him)

But would an owner, a new owner at that, do this during the middle of the season?

I'm gonna go ahead and assume by 'manager' you mean 'coach', what with you being a Brit. To me it really depends on the owner. You don't really have the same pressure as in euro footie leagues where you might end up in a lower division, lose lots of money. In fact, sucking can get you a decent pick sometimes, that is if you can draft for shit.

There aren't that many in-season changes like there used to be, or maybe it's just my perception, but there is always remaining contract length of a coach and gm, paired with current-season success. I find that coaches in their penultimate year are often a target. First-year coaches are usually given at least another chance, unless they are absolutely inept, or work for the Raiders. New GM likely will go with his own candidate, for obvious reasons. Most coaches don't play on the last year of their contract as this is regarded as a good excuse for players to slack off to get rid off a coach. That's an interesting aspect about the NFL, compared to euro football.

For your team, if Holmgren goes, so does the coach. Even if he was decent, I'd expect a complete overhaul.

Btw, I think they should have a draft lottery similar to the NBA so that teams don't suck for the first overall.

Milchjon

Are there any comparisons of total INTs in the league over the years? It seemed like there were a lot of those over the first few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom