• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 3 |OT| Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to be a Steelers/Pirates/Penguins/Lakers fan since Pittsburgh never had a basketball team, and I moved to Long Beach from Pittsburgh around the time I started watching basketball, but now I consider myself a fan of basketball without a team.

Coming so late onto such a cookie cutter team just felt so dirty for some reason. Now I pray for the day that Pittsburgh lands a basketball team, a day that will likely never come :(

I've always thought the Grizzlies would end up in Pittsburgh. You never know it could happen.

Serious time, why do you day that? When I was in Boston (06-09) the Bruins were not even remotely a thing that I encountered every day. I worked in Copley Square, spent time all over town, etc. so it's not like I was outside the Boston "scene" and I wouldn't say either the Celts or Bruins were terribly important?

Lockout killed a lot of it, and getting back into the playoffs helped then regain some popularity, but then 2007 happened with 16-0, Sox world series win, and the new Big 3 for the Celtics pretty much dominated the landscape for the next couple years.

harSon

Banned
I've always thought the Grizzlies would end up in Pittsburgh. You never know it could happen.

It's probably not going to happen, or not until the city begins to swell up. Our city already has a history of not supporting its ABA team, and Pittsburgh doesn't really have the population to support a Football, Hockey, Baseball and Basketball team, especially considering Pitt is already soaking up a lot of potential fans within the sport.

Sanjuro

The Patriots are the only pro team I really follow.

Though if hockey ever comes back I would like to follow the Lightning.

iuLRwmJi7oBKD.gif

Jeff-DSA

I honestly believe you wouldve beaten the Jets if Bush didn't get hurt.

Yeah, for sure, but all we needed was to move the ball a few more yards on that last drive instead of throwing deep. A couple of easy slants or something. Carpenter generally makes that FG, but I'm sure 5-6 yards closer would have mattered a big deal.

Dragon

Banned
Serious time, why do you day that? When I was in Boston (06-09) the Bruins were not even remotely a thing that I encountered every day. I worked in Copley Square, spent time all over town, etc. so it's not like I was outside the Boston "scene" and I wouldn't say either the Celts or Bruins were terribly important?

I just am going based on what I experienced growing up. I went to high school in Boston and it was always more of a hockey town than basketball. Even though the Celtics had been more successful in the past and the Bruins had fallen down. Historically I think the Bruins mean more to the city of Boston. My opinion is probably skewed because I don't like pro basketball but there it is.

Cagey

Banned
In terms of fan combinations...

There's always the NY metro area douche bag combination of Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers/Celtics/Bulls, and to top off this shitshow, Notre Dame football. Die in a fire.

Keeping it local, I find the people who are Yanks/Rangers/Knicks (any football team, it's irrelevant for this) fans allow their Yankees success to seep into the arrogance accompanying everything else, and it's so damn obnoxious given how terrible the Rangers and Knicks historically are. I don't like baseball and I'm a Knicks fan, no less.

Then again, it might be because the Rangers are in there.

harSon

Banned
I think the worst are Bay Area fans. Giants and As fans, and to a lesser extent, Niners and Raiders fans, love to shift back and fourth between teams depending on who's doing better that particular season.

Sooooo shady.

Sanjuro

The truthful Boston power rankings are,

Red Sox
Bruins
Patriots
Celtics

Patriots are far last prior to the St. Louis move debacle.

Update:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

The NFL fined Broncos HC John Fox $30,000 and Denver DC Jack Del Rio $25,000 for their behavior during last Monday night’s loss to Atlanta.

Bill's fine should be fun for actually putting hands on the guy.

DHB was also released from the hospital today and is expected to make a full recovery after the Steelers hit yesterday.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
In terms of fan combinations...

There's always the NY metro area douche bag combination of Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers/Celtics/Bulls, and to top off this shitshow, Notre Dame football. Die in a fire.

Keeping it local, I find the people who are Yanks/Rangers/Knicks (any football team, it's irrelevant for this) fans allow their Yankees success to seep into the arrogance accompanying everything else, and it's so damn obnoxious given how terrible the Rangers and Knicks historically are. I don't like baseball and I'm a Knicks fan, no less.

Then again, it might be because the Rangers are in there.

Yankee success? Can we really say that anymore? '09 was glorious but you're going back over a decade now for the real success.

I just am going based on what I experienced growing up. I went to high school in Boston and it was always more of a hockey town than basketball. Even though the Celtics had been more successful in the past and the Bruins had fallen down. Historically I think the Bruins mean more to the city of Boston. My opinion is probably skewed because I don't like pro basketball but there it is.

The main MA schools are big hockey schools. UMass Amherst and Lowell, BC and BU. When I played junior hockey most of the teams we played against were in MA. Asides from Minnesota, that state churns out great talent.

Cagey

Banned
Yankee success? Can we really say that anymore? '09 was glorious but you're going back over a decade now for the real success.

A few points.

1) Those types generally grew up watching four World Series and six pennants total. That's a good haul.

2) The Yankees make the playoffs every year since 1996 save for the one season; in a sport with so few playoff spots, that's a pretty big deal.

3) The 27 or 28 total World Series rings, given that at least 5 of them occurred during these people's lifetimes, get paraded around with a level of arrogance far beyond the Canadiens.

4) The success and importance of the Yankees to baseball then gets translated into this weird, stupid arrogance about how important New York City sports teams are.

Update:

Bill's fine should be fun for actually putting hands on the guy.

DHB was also released from the hospital today and is expected to make a full recovery after the Steelers hit yesterday.

They'll hit him for $40,000, which Kraft will pay for anyway. And then talks with the regular refs will suddenly heat up.

Good news on DHB. Wonder who's fine will be larger, Mundy's or Bill's.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Hmmm (from the video with a quick photoshop addition of an extended goal post)

1_zps7bf7a294.jpg

No clue where the ball actually crossed over thought, but every frame I see the ball is just slightly right of the end of the pylon, meaning no good by NFL Rules.

Giants fan only, too much time involved following other sports, can't do it, plus i rather be letdown by one team, than 4 every year, don't know how some fans can be crushed 4 times a year...

Hmmm (from the video with a quick photoshop addition of an extended goal post)

1_zps7bf7a294.jpg

No clue where the ball actually crossed over thought, but every frame I see the ball is just slightly right of the end of the pylon, meaning no good by NFL Rules.

The ball in that shot is already past the uprights. People really think that kick wasn't good?

Pagusas

Elden Member
The ball in that shot is already past the uprights. People really think that kick wasn't good?

I have no vested inteest in it one way or that other honestly, though when it was shown on TV i thought it missed. Its way too close to call, so I'll always defer to the guy standing right under the pylon. but its still fun to dissect it

More Frames from earlier in the video:

Capture2.jpg

3.jpg

Again, doesnt mean a think as we cant (or at least i cant) messure the angle and perspective to tell exactly where the ball is at)

I have no vested inteest in it one way or that other honestly, though when it was shown on TV i thought it missed. Its way too close to call, so I'll always defer to the guy standing right under the pylon. but its still fun to dissect it

This. People can look at the replays all they want but the fact of the matter is, no replay angle will beat the view of the dude standing right under the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom