• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 3 |OT| Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemax

Banned

Why is Jim Harbaugh getting credit for the 49ers defense? Wasn't virtually all of that talent in place before Harbaugh got there?

Edit: As far as I can tell the only starter on the defense Harbaugh drafted was Aldon Smith.

Looking at the rest:

Ray McDonald 2007 3rd round pick by Mike Nolan
Isaac Sopoaga 2004 4th round pick by Mike Nolan
Justin Smith 2008 Free Agent
Ahmad Brooks 2008 Free Agent
Navorro Bowman 2010 3rd round pick by Mike Nolan
Patrick Willis 2007 1st round pick by Steve Mariucci
Carlos Rodgers 2011 Free Agent
Donte Whitner 2011 Free Agent
Dashon Goldson 2007 4th round pick by Mike Nolan
Tarell Brown 2007 4th round pick by Mike Nolan

So I guess Harbaugh helped bring in 2 other guys through Free Agency, but most of the defense was drafted under Mike Nolan's watch. Look I think Harbaugh is a really good head coach, but crediting him with personnel moves is kind of extreme. I really don't think we've been able to see much of his ability to evaluate NFL personnel yet.

squicken

Why is Jim Harbaugh getting credit for the 49ers defense? Wasn't virtually all of that talent in place before Harbaugh got there?

Edit: As far as I can tell the only starter on the defense Harbaugh drafted was Aldon Smith.

Looking at the rest:

Ray McDonald 2007 3rd round pick by Mike Nolan
Isaac Sopoaga 2004 4th round pick by Mike Nolan
Justin Smith 2008 Free Agent
Ahmad Brooks 2008 Free Agent
Navorro Bowman 2010 3rd round pick by Mike Nolan
Patrick Willis 2007 1st round pick by Steve Mariucci
Carlos Rodgers 2011 Free Agent
Donte Whitner 2011 Free Agent
Dashon Goldson 2007 4th round pick by Mike Nolan
Tarell Brown 2007 4th round pick by Mike Nolan

So I guess Harbaugh helped bring in 2 other guys through Free Agency, but most of the defense was drafted under Mike Nolan's watch. Look I think Harbaugh is a really good head coach, but crediting him with personnel moves is kind of extreme. I really don't think we've been able to see much of his ability to evaluate NFL personnel yet.

Oh I agree he definitely hasn't really put his stamp on the team as far as personnel, but he's done quite a bit. He and Baalke added Rogers/Whitner/A. Smith: their defense never played like they have now. Harbs has taken those existing guys and maxed them out. Same with the offensive line and Alex

SEA hired the guy who played a large part in bringing in a lot of the players at SF. Scot McCloughan apparently had some weird behavior issues but was pretty good at finding talent.

Oh I agree he definitely hasn't really put his stamp on the team as far as personnel, with the biggest moves being Aldon Smith and the WRs they added this year. But their defense never played like they have now. He's taken those guys and maxed them out. Same with the offensive line and Alex

SEA hired the guy who played a large part in bringing in a lot of the players at SF. Scot McCloughan apparently had some weird behavior issues but was pretty good at finding talent.

Singletary's shittiness is making Harbaugh look better than I think he is. I think any halfway decent coach could have had the Niners D playing like this. They had the talent already.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Lol Panthers. The only thing I can take from the Giants' ass kicking of the future super bowl champs is our defense is pure ass and will make anyone look great. LOL at anyone using the Saints as a barometer for how good their team is. LOL indeed

cajunator

Banned
Lol Panthers. The only thing I can take from the Giants' ass kicking of the future super bowl champs is our defense is pure ass and will make anyone look great. LOL at anyone using the Saints as a barometer for how good their team is. LOL indeed

Right now we're not in any position to say jack shit about any team that isnt 0-2. Especially not the team that kicked our ass a week ago.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Right now we're not in any position to say jack shit about any team that isnt 0-2. Especially not the team that kicked our ass a week ago.

If the Panthers, Redskins or anyone thought they might be a good team just by scoring all over the Saints pop warner D, then yes LOL at ALL OF THEM. Cats out of the bag now and we've got one way tickets to fraudtown right now. My 7-9 prediction might have been too optimistic. We'll see how they respond against the Chiefs.

cajunator

Banned
Offense seems to be starting to click but the D is pretty awful. Really need to see if Spags can get it in line before its too late. Its still anyones guess whether they can turn it around.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Wasnt Carr the most sacked QB?
yes, until one year i think roethlisberger took the crown.

i74BvLkV6qfzx.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sunhi is indeed legend

lol where is this from?

squicken

He isn't wrong though. Everyone seems to discount that just because they want to say he is a rookie.

It's not a good thing that the Rams, who he won't play again this year and were 2-14 last year, are still in his head. He needs to get passed it and focus on the game that's 3 days away

As do the Pats. I have entered "we're fucked" mode.

You two guys are the resident Windows and Android phone guys, and I don't want to go into the phone wars thread, so what are good phones that will rival the iphone 5 in the weight/performance/battery life department? I don't really care about apps, but i do want a phone that browses faster and has a larger screen than the 4S, but I really dig how light Apple made the iphone5.

AT&T kind of screwed me on the delivery time, so if I can wait until mid/late Oct for a phone, I can wait until early Nov if new stuff is coming out

Milchjon

It's not a good thing that the Rams, who he won't play again this year and were 2-14 last year, are still in his head. He needs to get passed it and focus on the game that's 3 days away

You two guys are the resident Windows and Android phone guys, and I don't want to go into the phone wars thread, so what are good phones that will rival the iphone 5 in the weight/performance/battery life department? I don't really care about apps, but i do want a phone that browses faster and has a larger screen than the 4S, but I really dig how light Apple made the iphone5.

AT&T kind of screwed me on the delivery time, so if I can wait until mid/late Oct for a phone, I can wait until early Nov if new stuff is coming out

The HTC 8X will probably come closest to the iPhone in the weight department on WP. It's very colorful, though. If you want the full experience, take a look at the Lumia 920, it'll probably be the most full featured phone on the market on ANY OS in the near future. It's really heavy though, so it might not be what you're looking for.
As for performance, you probably won't fare much worse than with the iPhone with any top of the line Android/WP. They all have bigger screens than the iPhone, too.

squicken

The HTC 8X will probably come closest to the iPhone in the weight department on WP. It's very colorful, though. If you want the full experience, take a look at the Lumia 920, it'll probably be the most full featured phone on the market on ANY OS in the near future. It's really heavy though, so it might not be what you're looking for.
As for performance, you probably won't fare much worse than with the iPhone with any top of the line Android/WP. They all have bigger screens than the iPhone, too.

Yeah the 920 is cool but the weight makes it just a non-starter.

I thought the iphone 5 was winning all the benchmarks (lol) over every other phone?

Dragon

Banned

I thought the iphone 5 was winning all the benchmarks (lol) over every other phone?

What do you actually care about in regards to phones though? Are you more interested in OS or performance?

squicken

What do you actually care about in regards to phones though? Are you more interested in OS or performance?

Don't care much about which ecosystem I'm in. I want my apps and web pages to load as fast as possible. The iphone 5 screen is about as small as I'm willing to go, but the 920 is just way too heavy. I really liked the Galaxy S3 in the store but I've always read don't buy non-Nexus Android products

Dragon

Banned
Don't care much about which ecosystem I'm in. I want my apps and web pages to load as fast as possible. The iphone 5 screen is about as small as I'm willing to go, but the 920 is just way too heavy. I really liked the Galaxy S3 in the store but I've always read don't buy non-Nexus Android products

Yeah I actually bought an S3 about a month ago. I really enjoy it but I would really like to be able to upgrade to Jelly Bean without Verizon having to do it for me or having to root the phone. Performance wise the thing is a beast.

Milchjon

If weight is your main focus, it'll be hard to find something that fully matches the iPhone.

As for benchmarks, it's a battle on a high level. They're all way ahead of your current phone, and they all perform pretty well. Benchmarks also don't tell the whole story. WP7 phones for instance are ridiculously fast and fluid with very bad specs. And there are no benchmarks for WP8 phones yet.

The Windows Phone thread mostly consists of a small bunch of level headed guys, btw. They're very helpful, don't be afraid to ask there if you want any specifics. Some of the more prominent contributors there have jumped to Android in the past few months as a stop gap before WP8, so they won't be too fanboy-ish :)

ccbfan

First time I've ever seen Panthers play and WTF kind of Offense is that?

They let Cam decide everything so beating them you really only need to do one thing. Get to Cam. Plus all Cam does is throw 10+ yard passes which give him no safety net.

They have the weirdest running game I've ever seen. You have a back in Williams that average 5 yards a crazy but you don't play him at the goal line or 3rd down.

Yeah I'm bitter that I started DeAngelo Williams and he had no opportunity to do anything. It wasn't even like he played bad. They just didn't do anything with him. I was lucky he got those two catches at the end with the backup QB. Never starting DeAngelo Williams again in Fantasy again.

squicken

Weight isn't the biggest thing. The increase size of the S3 screen is worth the extra weight. It's still lighter than my iphone 4 I think. I've been month to moth since summer and was close to getting the S3, but just didn't want to commit until I knew what the competition would bring in the fall.

I'll probably end up just waiting the few extra weeks for my delivery to occur, but since I'm already waiting, I figured I could look again at what was coming this fall

Dragon

Banned
Weight isn't the biggest thing. The increase size of the S3 screen is worth the extra weight. It's still lighter than my iphone 4 I think. I've been month to moth since summer and was close to getting the S3, but just didn't want to commit until I knew what the competition would bring in the fall.

I'll probably end up just waiting the few extra weeks for my delivery to occur, but since I'm already waiting, I figured I could look again at what was coming this fall

Just so you know there are rumors of an S4 coming out in the first three months of 2013 if you want to wait that long.

effzee

hopefully people will finally get off cam newtons dick. he had a good rookie season but people were already calling him elite and he did not have an elite season last year unless you use the qualifier of "elite for a starting QB who is a rookie". that is why he reminds me of bradford so much. same shit was said about bradford his rookie year and sure enough it was only "good" by rookie standards. i don't think either one of them is very good at reading defenses

While all of this might be true, how is it any more true after last night? The crazy reactions after each game are well crazy. Everyone is elite or sucks based on a game or two.

Cam looked terrible but he played well the week before. He might play good next week.

Yeah I'm bitter that I started DeAngelo Williams and he had no opportunity to do anything. It wasn't even like he played bad. They just didn't do anything with him. I was lucky he got those two catches at the end with the backup QB. Never starting DeAngelo Williams again in Fantasy again.

He had just one chance but he got stopped at the goal-line and then Cam took it himself over the pile. I was in the same boat. Then again I thought the Panthers could score more than 7 against the Giants and that Williams would have at least 10 FF points.

Milchjon

Just so you know there are rumors of an S4 coming out in the first three months of 2013 if you want to wait that long.

If you go down that path, you'll never buy a new phone :D In early 2013, it's only 6 more months til the iPhone 5S with fixed maps and, incredibly, live icons!

effzee

Yeah I actually bought an S3 about a month ago. I really enjoy it but I would really like to be able to upgrade to Jelly Bean without Verizon having to do it for me or having to root the phone. Performance wise the thing is a beast.

I want the S3 and am deciding between carriers. Currently on T-mobile with Galaxy 1 but my contract is up.

Besides T-Mobile and Sprint I can't get unlimited data right? And are the S3 phones the same across the board for all carriers or is the T-mobile version gimped like the Galaxy 1 was?

I might stay with TM if they provide unlimited data.

While all of this might be true, how is it any more true after last night? The crazy reactions after each game are well crazy. Everyone is elite or sucks based on a game or two.

Cam looked terrible but he played well the week before. He might play good next week.

He had just one chance but he got stopped at the goal-line and then Cam took it himself over the pile. I was in the same boat. Then again I thought the Panthers could score more than 7 against the Giants and that Williams would have at least 10 FF points.

Cam isn't elite. Not even on his best day

Wrayfield

Yeah, I like the screen size and quality. Pretty fast on Jelly Bean. So far, it does what I want it, too. I'm just not an iOS guy, that's the only reason why I decided in favour of the S3. Also, bad experience with previous WP.

If you can wait, that is actually a good option :).

My main gripe with the S3 is its unbearable ugliness. I'd take the HTC One X over it any day of the week.

Yeah, I mean, it's not for everyone. I actually don't mind its squareness :).
I am not too fond of the HTCs, for some reason.

My next phone will be probably an Android as well. Didn't realise how much Google stuff I use so it's quite compatible with that content.

ccbfan

That one chance was an 8 yard run that got them to the 1. I have never seen such a good running back misused like Williams. This guys is a 100 yard per game back.

The biggest takeway I had from last night's game is that the Giant's pass-blocking is freaking incredible. Eli had a huge pocket and tons of time to pass all night last night. How much of that is the Panther's D, though?

squicken

So it seems like the S3 is the best non-iPhone on the market? Is there not another Android or W8 phone that will challenge it this fall?

Just watched the press conference since I didn't get a chance last night. That was just fucking weird.

Yeah it was really creepy that he just wouldn't open his eyes. Like I said last night he just over-reacted to the loss. You can't get that down as QB. Bradford has had the same problem. Gets bad body language and a very defeated look on his face.

The_Darkest_Red said:
The biggest takeway I had from last night's game is that the Giant's pass-blocking is freaking incredible. Eli had a huge pocket and tons of time to pass all night last night. How much of that is the Panther's D, though?
A good bit of it. See how they perform next week against a good Eagles pass rush before you crown them as a good offensive line.

Bowser

A lot of it is on the Panthers D. The only decent pass rushers we have are Charles Johnson, who has failed to live up to his $72m contract, and Frank Alexander, a 4th round rookie.

And yeah, Cam got too emotional and he needs to work on that, but you gotta remember, he's a 23 year old kid really. I'm a little over 2 years removed from graduation and still feel like a kid, and he's younger than I am. Hopefully he matures as the season goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom