• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 3 |OT| Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yeah, Cam got too emotional and he needs to work on that, but you gotta remember, he's a 23 year old kid really. I'm a little over 2 years removed from graduation and still feel like a kid, and he's younger than I am. Hopefully he matures as the season goes on.
I think that's a pretty fair assessment. Honestly I see it as kind of a good thing, the fact that he gets this emotional about the game shows that he is very serious about winning. The key for him I think is to take that emotion and turn it into determination as opposed to letting tough losses eat away at his confidence. That should come with time, hopefully.

Milchjon

So it seems like the S3 is the best non-iPhone on the market? Is there not another Android or W8 phone that will challenge it this fall?

Well, "best compromise" I'd say. Too me, the 920 is more attractive in every way. The 8X probably comes closest to a compromise on WP8. Samsung also offers the ATIV S, which is a bit like the S3 on WP.

I'm not aware of any other big Android phones launching this year, apart from some Motorola stuff (supposedly big on battery and screen, but no one considers it a real rival to the S3, as far as I can tell).

But most people seem to be content with the S3. You could take a look at the One X, which probably still has a better screen than the S3.

I got in pretty late last night, so I didn't get a chance to respond to the game.
But that was...terrible.

The Giants showed us just how far we have to go to get a contending level.

-We've somehow reverted back to the 2010 (2-14) Panthers:
The thing is, the defense didn't actually play that terribly, not nearly as poorly as the scoreline would indicate. They contained the Giants offense as well as I think they could considering that they had to deal with a Panthers offense that was actively trying to sabotage them. If you give Eli Manning and that offense that much time of possession and consistently great field position (Thanks Joe Adams), they're going to put up points. I blame giving up 36 points less on the Panthers D and more on...

-...the Panthers' anemic offense:
I'll keep this simple. We couldn't run the ball for shit. We couldn't consistently pass the ball for shit. Cam's still making rookie mistakes (I'll blame the last two of his three INTS squarely on him for making poor decisions and even worse throws), and we suffered big time for it. The lack of J Stew was evident in both our inability to run (D-Will, smh) and losing his ability to catch off the screen, a big pressure release for Cam. Greg Olsen played well and Smitty made a nice catch or two, but other than that the offense was piss poor. I'd like to give full credit to the Giants and say that their defense just played an absolute monster game, but this is the same offense that got shut down by the Bucs. When we've played poorly on that side of the ball in two out of our first three games, I'd say it's more representative of the quality of our offense than of the opposing defenses.

-Joe Adams:
smh
smh
smh

I'm going to hold off on the writing the season off as a total failure (it's way too early for that), but I'm thinking this game against the Falcons next week is going to be huge. It's a road game, against a division rival and a team that we haven't beaten in a couple of years. I don't want to go down at least two games (and more than likely three) in the division and be in that deep hole already in the season. But more importantly, the Panthers are a team that expected something of themselves (something something Kalil Super Bowl something) this season. I think they started hearing all of the buzz nationwide and got comfortable with themselves. Losing on the road to the Bucs (eww) and getting shellacked at home against the Giants shows that. If they want to be a contender, it's time to stop talking like champions and start playing like them.

Anecdotal:
-Andre Brown killed us this week in both real life and me in fantasy.

-Massive ups to the Giants fanbase. You guys showed up, both on the field and in the stands. I'd say that the stadium was probably 60-40 Panthers fans at kickoff (shitload of NY plants in North Carolina), by the third quarter that number was at least flipped in favor of Giants fans. I ended up sitting with a bunch of Giants fans (my friend's family was the one that got us the tickets, all Giants fans) and while the game was shittacular, I enjoyed talking shit with the enemy. You Giants fans are assholes, but you're assholes that are fun to be around, not belligerent degenerates that you would find in other fanbases. (Although if I have to hear "THA CHAMS AH HEAH" one more goddamn time, I swear to the good man Tebow....)

More apt to Week 2 than last night but I got a good laugh.

2012-09-20-Eliface.png

The thing is, the defense didn't actually play that terribly, not nearly as poorly as the scoreline would indicate. They contained the Giants offense as well as I think they could considering that they had to deal with a Panthers offense that was actively trying to sabotage them. If you give Eli Manning and that offense that much time of possession and consistently great field position (Thanks Joe Adams), they're going to put up points. I blame giving up 36 points less on the Panthers D and more on...
I have to disagree with you on this one, man. The Panthers D was getting absolutely gashed all night long by huge pass plays and runs. It wasn't like it was late in the game when the D was worn down either, it was like that from the very first drive of the game. The offense definitely didn't help them out any as the game went on but the defense looked dreadful at times in pass rushing, run stopping, and coverage.

Plus, the guys that hurt them the worst were two backups.

eznark

Banned
I got in pretty late last night, so I didn't get a chance to respond to the game.
But that was...terrible.

I'll keep this simple. We couldn't run the ball for shit. We couldn't consistently pass the ball for shit. Cam's still making rookie mistakes (I'll blame the last two of his three INTS squarely on him for making poor decisions and even worse throws), and we suffered big time for it. The lack of J Stew was evident in both our inability to run (D-Will, smh) and losing his ability to catch off the screen, a big pressure release for Cam. Greg Olsen played well and Smitty made a nice catch or two, but other than that the offense was piss poor. I'd like to give full credit to the Giants and say that their defense just played an absolute monster game, but this is the same offense that got shut down by the Bucs. When we've played poorly on that side of the ball in two out of our first three games, I'd say it's more representative of the quality of our offense than of the opposing defenses.

-Joe Adams:
smh
smh
smh

I'm going to hold off on the writing the season off as a total failure (it's way too early for that), but I'm thinking this game against the Falcons next week is going to be huge. It's a road game, against a division rival and a team that we haven't beaten in a couple of years. I don't want to go down at least two games (and more than likely three) in the division and be in that deep hole already in the season. But more importantly, the Panthers are a team that expected something of themselves (something something Kalil Super Bowl something) this season. I think they started hearing all of the buzz nationwide and got comfortable with themselves. Losing on the road to the Bucs (eww) and getting shellacked at home against the Giants shows that. If they want to be a contender, it's time to stop talking like champions and start playing like them.

Anecdotal:

-Massive ups to the Giants fanbase. You guys showed up, both on the field and in the stands. I'd say that the stadium was probably 60-40 Panthers fans at kickoff (shitload of NY plants in North Carolina), by the the third quarter that number was at least flipped in favor of Giants fans. I ended up sitting with a bunch of Giants fans (my friend's family was the one that got us the tickets, all Giants fans) and while the game was shittacular, I enjoyed talking shit with the enemy. You Giants fans are assholes, but you're assholes that are fun to be around, not belligerent degenerates that you would find in other fanbases. (Although if I have to hear "THA CHAMS AH HEAH" one more goddamn time, I swear to the good man Tebow....)

Kalilletter.jpg

Bowser

But that was...terrible.

Yeah, no. They played exactly as poorly as the scoreline would indicate. The Giants scored on all but two drives. Yeah, the offense wasn't that great, but the defense was absolutely horrendous.

ccbfan

But that was...terrible.

-Joe Adams:
smh
smh
smh

Anecdotal:

-Massive ups to the Giants fanbase. You guys showed up, both on the field and in the stands. I'd say that the stadium was probably 60-40 Panthers fans at kickoff (shitload of NY plants in North Carolina), by the third quarter that number was at least flipped in favor of Giants fans. I ended up sitting with a bunch of Giants fans (my friend's family was the one that got us the tickets, all Giants fans) and while the game was shittacular, I enjoyed talking shit with the enemy. You Giants fans are assholes, but you're assholes that are fun to be around, not belligerent degenerates that you would find in other fanbases. (Although if I have to hear "THA CHAMS AH HEAH" one more goddamn time, I swear to the good man Tebow....)

The running game would be a ton better if they actually you know ran the ball and not have hybrid "I'll have a 2nd year qb decide half way through the play whether he wants it to be a run play for not." Plus they have a 5 yard per run proven back that doesn't get to play short yardage or 3rd down. Seriously WTF.

squicken

Well, "best compromise" I'd say. Too me, the 920 is more attractive in every way. The 8X probably comes closest to a compromise on WP8. Samsung also offers the ATIV S, which is a bit like the S3 on WP.

I'm not aware of any other big Android phones launching this year, apart from some Motorola stuff (supposedly big on battery and screen, but no one considers it a real rival to the S3, as far as I can tell).

But most people seem to be content with the S3. You could take a look at the One X, which probably still has a better screen than the S3.

hmm the ATIV S would be my choice of a Windows phone. 920 I just don't see how you can carry around a phone that heavy in your pocket. Is there a release date related to anything W8 mobile?

sonicmj1

Well, that Giant game was nice to watch. I was worried that by starting Cam Newton on my fantasy team, I'd create a dangerous conflict of interest, but since the Giants pushed the game into garbage time by the end of the half, I could root for him to get yards and touchdowns without feeling guilty.

It was great to see Brown do well, but I'm the most shocked by Ramses Barden's performance. He made some great catches and got open a lot. I've never seen him play anywhere near that level. He really made the most of an opportunity that I didn't think he'd ever get.

I can't imagine many more of our games going that well, but this was a nice dose of optimism. If our pass protection can hold up like that in more games, we'll be a very scary team.

Cagey

Banned
I give no fucks if TWC wants to charge me extra. Take all my money to give me RedZone channel, pls. TWC PLS.

Well, that Giant game was nice to watch. I was worried that by starting Cam Newton on my fantasy team, I'd create a dangerous conflict of interest, but since the Giants pushed the game into garbage time by the end of the half, I could root for him to get yards and touchdowns without feeling guilty.

In a deep rosters league, a friend, also a Giants fan, had Cam Newton + Steve Smith + Brandon LeFell + David Wilson + Lawrence Tynes last night... against my Andre Brown, Victor Cruz, and Martellus Bennett.

Good times man.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
The biggest takeway I had from last night's game is that the Giant's pass-blocking is freaking incredible. Eli had a huge pocket and tons of time to pass all night last night. How much of that is the Panther's D, though?

A lot of it was. Panther D was atrocious.

To say that D-Will didn't run well is wrong too. He had a couple of pretty good runs in there. If they kept giving him the ball he'd easily have been over 100 yards.

Bowser

A lot of it was. Panther D was atrocious.

To say that D-Will didn't run well is wrong too. He had a couple of pretty good runs in there. If they kept giving him the ball he'd easily have been over 100 yards.

Yeah. Hard to keep running the ball when you're almost immediately in a 20 point hole.

browntd_medium.gif

Great blocking. The right tackle (#73 Locklear) holds his block well, Hynoski blows up the linebacker and Andre Brown just runs decisively behind his blocker. He doesn't try to be fancy or skip around - he just follows his block and hits the hole. Watching a good number of his runs, I'm most impressed with his vision and patience.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Rob Smith on First Take, explaining how Carolina lost the game instead of the Giants winning:

Rob: They turned over the ball over by turning it over!

Brilliant insight. He's dumber than Skip on a good day.

sonicmj1

browntd_medium.gif

Great blocking. The right tackle (#73 Locklear) holds his block well, Hynoski blows up the linebacker and Andre Brown just runs decisively behind his blocker. He doesn't try to be fancy or skip around - he just follows his block and hits the hole. Watching a good number of his runs, I'm most impressed with his vision and patience.

Me too. There was one run where you could see him wait behind his blocker for his hole to open, after which he hit it for a big gain. After seeing too many Giants running plays end with backs slamming into walls of bodies just past the line of scrimmage, something like that was really refreshing.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Me too. There was one run where you could see him wait behind his blocker for his hole to open, after which he hit it for a big gain. After seeing too many Giants running plays end with backs slamming into walls of bodies just past the line of scrimmage, something like that was really refreshing.
He seemslikenhe has good vision and patience, good desiciveness, and hits the hole hard.

Slo

Help me GAF. I ate a legendary bacon cheesesburger with 1lb+ of ground beef and 2 fried eggs last night, and now it's trying to seek it's revenge by tearing it's way out of my abdomen. I need first aid advice.

$8 worth of regret.

jmdajr

Help me GAF. I ate a legendary bacon cheesesburger with 1lb+ of ground beef and 2 fried eggs last night, and now it's trying to seek it's revenge by tearing it's way out of my abdomen. I need first aid advice.

$8 worth of regret.

Yuck. Well, hold on to something..and pray.

squicken

fxvEz.jpg

Towel the new brown bag?

Speaking of big babies

"That's coach Haley's call," Roethlisberger said of the Jets game. "He's the one that calls all of the plays. There was no no-huddle. Our no-huddle is usually when we have three wide receivers on the field. (The coaches) saw something and wanted to run the ball with multiple tight ends and keep (the media) and the fans happy, I guess."

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

$8 worth of regret.

Tum - Tum Tum Tum - Tums.

Fox318

$8 worth of regret.

gDaO5.png

Bowser said:
Smitty presser/media interview. Beginning seems to me like he's talking about Cam.
Saw this:

They are saying on The Fan 610 that apparently late in the game Steve Smith came up to a dejected and mopy Cam Newton on the bench and got in his face and absolutely BLASTED him with f'bombs for hanging his head and not stepping up as a leader. I guess he was yelling at him to "be a man" and "grow up" in front of the team.

Don't know if that's true or not though so take it with a grain of salt.

squicken

http://www.panthers.com/news/articl...tter-end/c1531be1-5712-4a5d-a9ba-089bcde1eb35

Smitty presser/media interview. Beginning seems to me like he's talking about Cam.

"Steve didn't want to come off the field. He's a competitor," Panthers head coach Ron Rivera said. "When a guy like that is playing hard to the bitter end, if that doesn't send a message to his teammates, I'm not sure what does.

"I hope those guys learn something from that. I brought it up when I spoke to them in the locker room. If you want to see how to compete for four quarters, till the whistle blows, watch Steve Smith."

Do you think Cam took himself out of the game? Those are odd quotes from Smith and Rivera

Bowser

Saw this:

Don't know if that's true or not though so take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah, I heard of something like that myself, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is true.

Do you think Cam took himself out of the game? Those are odd quotes from Smith and Rivera

No idea. Part of me thinks there's no way Cam would take himself out of the game, but with quotes like that, I can't help but think he did.

squicken

Yeah, I heard of something like that myself, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is true.

No idea. Part of me thinks there's no way Cam would take himself out of the game, but with quotes like that, I can't help but think he did.

Smith is right about that stupid towel thing he does but late in a blowout is probably not the time to make the point. Though it appears there was probably growing frustration with him and the coaches regarding Cam.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Just finished ME3. Don't know what everyone was complaining about. I thought the ending was good.
The extended cut made some significant strides in making the ending more palatable for folks. All of the dialogue added to the
space kid encounter explaining his motivations and connective tissue scenes like the team being extracted when harbinger attacks at the portal and the final scene of the crew adding Shepard's name to the plaque
were never there in the original ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom