• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 3 |OT| Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

So how bout them refs. I didn't see all of the game yesterday but man, what a clusterfuck. Seems they're getting worse as they go on. I honestly thought they did OK week 1, they kept out of the way for the most part and let them play. But it's been a mess recently. Easily the worst game yet I'd say.
I didn't see the whole game yesterday, but the worst thing I have seen so far was when they were convinced by the Ravens that Vick's forward pass was a fumble.

Ez do you still think there is no difference?

gutshot

I didn't see the whole game yesterday, but the worst thing I have seen so far was when they were convinced by the Ravens that Vick's forward pass was a fumble.

The funny thing about that is that if the Ravens had petitioned for intentional grounding, they probably would have gotten it. By petitioning for the fumble instead, they pretty much ruined their chances of the refs going back, after reviewing and overturning the play, and ruling intentional grounding.

eznark

Banned

There is certainly a difference but it's in administration and perception more than anything, not things that actually affect outcomes so I still continue to not care.

The biggest complaints this year have been defensive holding and PI. What have been the biggest complaints the last decade of football?

I desperately hope you guys all continue to have aneurysms over the officiating though because I am going to be tapdancing through this thread the first weekend the refs come back and blow all the same exact calls. At least they do it faster, though!

The funny thing about that is that if the Ravens had petitioned for intentional grounding, they probably would have gotten it. By petitioning for the fumble instead, they pretty much ruined their chances of the refs going back, after reviewing and overturning the play, and ruling intentional grounding.

I thought that there cant be intentional grounding if the QB is hit in the act of throwing? Not that it would matter since I am sure the scabs wouldnt have known that rule.

eznark said:
I desperately hope you guys all continue to have aneurysms over the officiating though because I am going to be tapdancing through this thread the first weekend the refs come back and blow all the same exact calls. At least they do it faster, though!
Pretty much. Blown calls are going to happen and it's why I don't bother with going crazy about it one way or the other but the speed and flow of the games does wear on me. Especially when you're just sitting there waiting 5-10 minutes for these guys to consult the ref on the sideline who's supposed to be the expert and then have a meeting in the middle of the field, etc.

I'll take non-calls/missed calls over the game just grinding to a halt.

gutshot

There is certainly a difference but it's in administration and perception more than anything, not things that actually affect outcomes so I still continue to not care.

The biggest complaints this year have been defensive holding and PI. What have been the biggest complaints the last decade of football?

It's mostly the lack of control and inability to keep the game moving that people seem to be on the scab refs for. Not missed calls.

I thought that there cant be intentional grounding if the QB is hit in the act of throwing? Not that it would matter since I am sure the scabs wouldnt have known that rule.

Exactly. It seems like if you are persistent enough, you can get the refs to call something in your favor.

Wrayfield

Pretty much. Blown calls are going to happen and it's why I don't bother with going crazy about it one way or the other but the speed and flow of the games does wear on me. Especially when you're just sitting there waiting 5-10 minutes for these guys to consult the ref on the sideline who's supposed to be the expert and then have a meeting in the middle of the field, etc.

I just drink more. Haven't really noticed the difference as I am watching Red Zone during all breaks.

The worst thing about how long it takes them to spot the ball is that even after their 10 minute meeting they still mis-spot it a lot of the time.

eznark

Banned

Yeah, that's why I preferred them in week 1 and have preferred them in most of the games I've focused on. They let the guys play. It sucks that last night and some of the other big games this week got bogged down by flag nazis, but I don't think an inordinate number of the calls were bad.

I think the most humorous consistent complaint I have heard so far is "why did he wait so long to throw the flag!!!!!!?????" Seriously, what's the fucking rush? If they throw the flag the nano-second the play happens or after the whistle the result is identical.

It's mostly the lack of control and inability to keep the game moving that people seem to be on the scab refs for.

So they aren't throwing enough flags but are also throwing too many flags. Got it.

gutshot said:
It's mostly the lack of control and inability to keep the game moving that people seem to be on the scab refs for. Not missed calls.
Oh no there's plenty of bitching about missed calls in here. Plenty.

andthebeatgoeson

So how bout them refs. I didn't see all of the game yesterday but man, what a clusterfuck. Seems they're getting worse as they go on. I honestly thought they did OK week 1, they kept out of the way for the most part and let them play. But it's been a mess recently. Easily the worst game yet I'd say.

The players are getting away with things because of the replacements. Fighting, throwing punches, holding and PI. All because the refs don't know shit.

Godslay

Banned
Slept the game off.

Thinking about the game last night, and I can't say that I am that upset with it. Peyton threw some floaters, and effectively put the game out of reach. Even with that said, Denver's defense looked stout enough to keep us in the game. The offense started to hit it's stride, and hung some points on the board. I'm for certain that given another shot, Peyton would have won the game. Atlanta's defense was virtually non-existent late in the 4th. The refs were bad, but I'm not going to blame the loss on them. The running game was much better than I thought it would be, and McGahee looked pretty good, but slow.I still think they are some positives to take out of the loss.

Manning has to be better, and I'm positive he will be back to form with the deeper throws to the right this season. It seems like it's the only toss that is bothering him, as that is where most of the ints have been (including preseason versus the Seahawks). Just have to see progression as the games go on. I'm still positive, and will still be even if we lose to the Texans. Champs aren't crowned in September. I'll be happy if we get 3-3 at the bye.

That is pretty much all the thread was last night in the first half.

I complained about the sheer amount of flags. Some of the calls were bad, but they weren't game breakers imo.

The players are getting away with things because of the replacements. Fighting, throwing punches, holding and PI. All because the refs don't know shit.

Yeah there was so much shit after every play in the Eagles game. I really do worry that someone is going to get hurt since the scabs dont want to call penalties on that stuff.

methodman

Banned
Slept the game off.

Thinking about the game last night, and I can't say that I am that upset with it. Peyton threw some floaters, and effectively put the game out of reach. Even with that said, Denver's defense looked stout enough to keep us in the game. The offense started to hit it's stride, and hung some points on the board. I'm for certain that given another shot, Peyton would have won the game. Atlanta's defense was virtually non-existent late in the 4th. The refs were bad, but I'm not going to blame the loss on them. The running game was much better than I thought it would be, and McGahee looked pretty good, but slow.I still think they are some positives to take out of the loss.

Manning has to be better, and I'm positive he will be back to form with the deeper throws to the right this season. It seems like it's the only toss that is bothering him, as that is where most of the ints have been (including preseason versus the Seahawks). Just have to see progression as the games go on. I'm still positive, and will still be even if we lose to the Texans. Champs aren't crowned in September. I'll be happy if we get 3-3 at the bye.

I complained about the sheer amount of flags. Some of the calls were bad, but they weren't game breakers imo.

I think they should put in way more intermediate routes, and just take a few shots down the field a game. He's late like by 1 second or more on each of his deep throws because he has to add more to his release just to get the ball out there. He's used to having one of the quickest releases in NFL history, and now he has to put more force in his arm to get those passes out. Let him to rebuild the arm strength before challenging him IMO

squicken

Fuck you.

Yes, he did

I think Young is mostly right. We will all keep watching. But at some point I will probably give up on night games if this continues. With Sunday and RZ, I can just watch a different game while they bungle around. But with the primetime games, and I have to watch 10 minutes of nothing to get an obvious call right, surrounded by 10 minutes of commercials, then I think I'll just do other things and catch the highlights later

Smokey

Why NFL-GAF hate on da Texans

I could understand if we had a rapist, a dog murderer, a taco loving QB or something like that but there's nobody to even hate on the squad?!

gutshot

So they aren't throwing enough flags but are also throwing too many flags. Got it.

It's not a matter of throwing too many or too little flags, it's just that the players feel like they can get away with too much and have influence over what the refs call. They need to stamp that out either by being more resolute in their calls or, if necessary, ejecting players. Also, the general lack of professionalism is disconcerting.

Oh no there's plenty of bitching about missed calls in here. Plenty.

Oh, I realize that. I'm just talking about the general reaction in the media, not on here. Of course, there will always be bitching about the refs on here. Especially when it's in-game commentary type stuff.

eznark

Banned
Why NFL-GAF hate on da Texans

I could understand if we had a rapist, a dog murderer, a taco loving QB or something like that but there's nobody to even hate on the squad?!

I think most of GAF is completely apathetic to the Texans. Most of the time everyone just forgets they exist, unless Houston superfan Squicken posts some Watt pics.

Smokey

HOU @ DEN - Game of the week. Will come close but Manning is going to do what he does to the Texans.

You realize he hasn't beaten the Texans in quite some time right? And the last time he did play them he got wacked and the defense wasn't NEARLY where it is now.

bionic77

Slept the game off.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure I have never in my life seen someone who sucked massive balls at throwing it deep somehow getting better at it as the season went along.

That is your qb. He isn't changing this year and if we are being honest probably not next year either. He is a really smart player who can see the coverage and pressure prior to the snap and get the ball to the right player. That alone is better than 80% of the players in the league. What he is not going to do anytime soon is beat you with his arms (though he did beat the Steelers with his legs on one play, but I am pretty sure you can only do that against our defense and he won't be able to make a living out of it).

eznark

Banned
Refs need to start ejecting idiots to get the point across.

I've yet to see a game where an ejection was warranted. I really, really hope they don't start ejecting guys just to prove a point.

Plus, throwing a punch isn't even an auto-eject, just ask Charles Woodson!

bionic77

Speaking of punches what are the odds that the Raiders punch Ben in the face again after he throws his 5th TD pass of the game? These replacement refs are pretty lenient with late hits and stuff so this game might turn into a real life version of Blades of Steel.

Fucking Raider trash...

I have survived another week thanks to Houston. Better use up your Survival picks on them soon before the next stage of the Cycle begins...

eznark

Banned
Somehow its the fault of the replacement refs.

tumblr_m1oc46HQyN1r7kz9v.gif

andthebeatgoeson

Even the Packers - Bears game which has been competitive but cordial the last few years became very chippy very early on.

Next week will even be worse. All the punches this week that didn't result in a flag? What's the likelihood Ray Lewis shoots someone? I'm not sure if Pouncy wants to bend over to hike the balkl, I'm pretty sure he'll be raped. He's kinda handsome, overweight. He needs to stay out of every bathroom and just pee outside. Maybe give his QB some glasses so he doesn't misinterpret his jersey for saying 'pussy'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom