• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 4 |OT| Dewey Beats Truman

Narag

It'd be legitimately shocking if he isn't suspended. He does something like that to Triplett and there is no question we are talking suspension.

Though, if he isn't suspended I really hope a coach tackles Triplett next year.

I don't think he'd been dumb enough to try that on a regular official but I'm also of the mind circumstances wouldn't have gotten to the point he felt the need to do so if the regular refs were around.

drew-carey-nfl.jpg

Unbelievable.

Gotta play better though...
Gotta coach better first.

The refs were maybe the worst ever (the game was already a mistrial before the final snap), but what still bugs me is McCarthy's goddamn ego.

6/7 in the box? Safeties running in the opposite direction at the snap? Small, quick defensive front 4 collapsing the pocket every play? LET'S KEEP PASSING!

Even when he made the adjustment to "maybe we should run sometimes" at halftime, he wouldn't go to the optimal solution of run the ball between the tackles every goddamn down. We'd run a few times, get 5-8 yards a pop, and then... go right back to passing. And half the runs were off tackle, where Seattle's defensive speed negated the whole idea. So, so frustrating. We have a great QB, and great receivers. But when the defense is giving you free yards, take them you fat asshole!

At this point our pass happy offense has been completely shut down for 4 games in a row. Hypotheses:

1) Rodgers suddenly sucks. The receivers suddenly suck! Cut everyone!
2) NFL defenses figured out how to stop the pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass offense.

jmdajr

Brandon Marshall on Warren Sapp-
(sorry if old)

That's really disappointing to hear that from an NFL legend, but I'm going to take this as a lesson, and I think we can all learn from this: Be very careful who you take advice from," Marshall said. "You want to surround yourself with good people, Godly people. When I look at Warren Sapp, I can't go to him and talk about finances because he filed for bankruptcy. I can't go to him and talk about my marriage because he filed for divorce. I can't go to him and talk to about being a great father when one day I have children because he's not active in his children's life. So the lesson we should all learn here is surround yourself with good people and be careful who you take counsel from. I'm not saying he's been there on my side giving me counsel, but that's not a guy that I can go to.

"You know, football doesn't make us. There's more to life than just playing football, so make sure you have a great balance in your life and surround yourself with good people. And guys like Warren Sapp, you know, I feel sorry for. Hopefully one day he'll change his life, we'll pray for him and instead of using words to destroy, he'll use words to uplift. So God bless you guys and have a great day."

Wes

venison crêpe
@BarackObama
NFL fans on both sides of the aisle hope the refs' lockout is settled soon. -bo

Wrayfield

2) NFL defenses figured out how to stop the pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass offense.

Ha, you might be onto something. All the contact by defenders that is not whistled in the backfield, that makes those pass-happy Os suffer a bit. It will take a while but everyone will adjust. I fully expect Pats and Packers to come back. Steelers prolly, too.

jmdajr

What started all this? Today is the first day I've read about a Sapp/Marshall issue. I've missed something.

During his appearance on "The Dan Patrick Show," Sapp opined that today's players have no respect for the past.

"These kids that play the game today have no relevance for the past, have no conscious of what it is," Sapp said. "I mean, Brandon Marshall talking about Shannon Sharpe, who is he to talk? He's the first 100-catch receiver, back-to-back, retard. What you just did in Denver for three years. You don't know this? No, of course he doesn't, because it's not about Brandon Marshall ... it ain't about the past, it's about me. It's about personal success, pay me, and now I'll think about being a team guy."

bionic77

I think it is a combo of things. First and foremost the protection is not there. Second, Rodgers seems to be looking downfield for the big play too much instead of checking off for the dumpoffs. Third, Rodgers doesn't seem to be as accurate as he was at the beginning of last year. He is not a bum, but he is slightly off on some throws (might be related to the protection) that were on point last year. Finally, bad coaching where the coaches show no willingness to adjust to the defense when things are not working.

From now on I just simplify this and say that Rodgers is just a system qb and can't succeed when the system breaks down. That is more fun to say and a lot less typing.

bionic77

Ha, you might be onto something. All the contact by defenders that is not whistled in the backfield, that makes those pass-happy Os suffer a bit. It will take a while but everyone will adjust. I fully expect Pats and Packers to come back. Steelers prolly, too.
The Steelers offense has not been the problem.

It is out defense.

Packers and Pats just suck on offense. Will take a lot of adjustments to fix that problem.

I don't think he'd been dumb enough to try that on a regular official but I'm also of the mind circumstances wouldn't have gotten to the point he felt the need to do so if the regular refs were around.

Bill says that he's tried to get the ref's attention to clarify whether or not the FG was going to get reviewed because he didn't have a great angle of the kick. Apparently none of the refs told him anything.

I can see at the very least a 50k fine, but I wouldn't be surprised either way whether he gets suspended or not.

cdyhybrid

Beautiful OP.

THURSDAY SEPT 27
CLE @ BAL

SUN SEPT 30
SD @ KC
SF @ NYJ
SEA @ STL
CAR @ ATL
MIN @ DET
NE @ BUF
TEN @ HOU

CIN @ JAC
MIA @ ARI
OAK @ DEN
WAS @ TB
NO @ GB

NY @ PHI

MONDAY OCT 1
CHI @ DAL

Go Hawks.

squicken

Pretty much sums up the Rams WR issues. Gibson is their outside guy and Tillman ragdolls him as he tries to get off the LoS. Just can't beat press as a team. That said, within five yards, can DBs shove WRs in the back?

iwrKiZxhB9HHi.gif

I think it is a combo of things. First and foremost the protection is not there. Second, Rodgers seems to be looking downfield for the big play too much instead of checking off for the dumpoffs. Third, Rodgers doesn't seem to be as accurate as he was at the beginning of last year. He is not a bum, but he is slightly off on some throws (might be related to the protection) that were on point last year. Finally, bad coaching where the coaches show no willingness to adjust to the defense when things are not working.

From now on I just simplify this and say that Rodgers is just a system qb and can't succeed when the system breaks down. That is more fun to say and a lot less typing.
Agreed on pass pro and coaching. I think the big play / accuracy issues are symptoms, not causes.

and agreed about fraudgers, we should swap in Harrell.

cdyhybrid

Pretty much sums up the Rams WR issues. Gibson is their outside guy and Tillman ragdolls him as he tries to get off the LoS. Just can't beat press as a team. That said, within five yards, can DBs shove WRs in the back?

iwrKiZxhB9HHi.gif

Look at that thuggish behavior. Tillman should be executed by firing squad for such an appalling display of dirty play.

I was just discussing this with my friend the other day. But how much do you think the officiating has affected passing in general this season? It seems like every game I've watched, refs are letting DB's get away with excessive holding and blatant contact down the field (whether you agree with it or not- this is stuff that regular refs would call). That's gotta really affect the timing of these passing offenses.

Bravo Bucket, Bravo! Your best one yet! Nice creativity with the implementation of the wii-u haha

THURSDAY SEPT 27
CLE @ BAL

SUN SEPT 30
SD @ KC
SF @ NYJ
SEA @ STL
CAR @ ATL
MIN @ DET (Contingent on Fatford playing)
NE @ BUF
TEN @ HOU

CIN @ JAC
MIA @ ARI
OAK @ DEN
WAS @ TB
NO @ GB

NY @ PHI

MONDAY OCT 1
CHI @ DAL

Slo

iwrKiZxhB9HHi.gif

Looks pretty clean to me.

I was just discussing this with my friend the other day. But how much do you think the officiating has affected passing in general this season? It seems like every game I've watched, refs are letting DB's get away with excessive holding and blatant contact down the field (whether you agree with it or not- this is stuff that regular refs would call). That's gotta really affect the timing of these passing offenses.
I don't think this was the case last week, at least. I'm guessing the refs got some very specific instruction from the league to focus on defensive secondary penalties because every game I watched on Sunday and last night was filled with defensive holding, PI, and illegal contact calls (and many of them were awful calls).

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Maybe the replacement refs aren't too bad.

effzee

Don't know if this was discussed but I caught of all people Snoop Lion on FirstTake and he made more sense than Reid did this past Sunday.

He mentioned how he coaches little league Football and he tells his players once you are within 5 yards of the endzone you run downhill and punch it in.

When fucking Snoop Lion can legitimately question your play calling you know you have a problem.

Also McCoy I love ya brah but STFU about Usi already. Fourth best DE on the Giants is like all-pro best DE on most teams. Not only that but they just won, ANOTHER, SB while you are getting 4 carries in the first half playing behind a baboon of a coach. Just please stfu and if anything go lobby for the ball so Reid doesn't forget you exist again.

Narag

Did we ever find out why the ref threw his hat in the Cowboys game or is that sonething that'll have to wait for coaches' film?

JABEE

@BarackObama
NFL fans on both sides of the aisle hope the refs' lockout is settled soon. -bo

Way to take a side Obama. Make it a stand. Either bust up that union like Theodore Roosevelt or take anti-trust action against the NFL. This is your job Mr. President.

Top Bottom