• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 4 |OT| Dewey Beats Truman

Fox318

and of Sanchez makes it even worse.

WjZ10.jpg

Why is GAF such a magnet for manic depressives these days?

I cant read OT without coming across a handful of new threads about how people have no hope or want to kill themselves.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Honestly for the most part I just stay in Community.

NHL-GAF, NFL-GAF, Toronto-GAF and for the most part I'm good with just those three right there.

KaYotiX

Banned
Why is GAF such a magnet for manic depressives these days?

I cant read OT without coming across a handful of new threads about how people have no hope or want to kill themselves.

i stay away from that crap on the OT boards. I visit the gaming and NFL side of GaF ONLY (best sides)

LJ11

Heard a stat on a podcast but my brain is to mushy to remember which. Fitz has attempted ~85 passes, and only 3 attempts have gone 20+ yards in the air. Alex has attempted ~90 passes, and only 4 attempts have gone 20+ yards in the air.

Against Cleveland TJ Graham was wide open on two deep shots, Donald Jones was coming open on a deep post, Fitz took the short throw every time. Doesn't have to get rid of it quick either, OL has been great so far. Cleveland game was closer than it should have been, huge holes all of the place in the run game, receivers running open deep.

Yet the game was in doubt until late in the 4th. When your run and screen game are as strong as the Bills has been over the last two years, you're going to get shots downfield, there's just no way they cover you when you're putting constraints on D.

effzee

Just read about the injuries to the Giants secondary. Holy hell they are completely decimated. Of course the new back ups for them will have career days now.

squicken

Against Cleveland TJ Graham was wide open on two deep shots, Donald Jones was coming open on a deep post, Fitz took the short throw every time. Doesn't have to get rid of it quick either, OL has been great so far. Cleveland game was closer than it should have been, huge holes all of the place in the run game, receivers running open deep.

Yet the game was in doubt until late in the 4th. When your run and screen game are as strong as the Bills has been over the last two years, you're going to get shots downfield, there's just no way they cover you when you're putting constraints on D.

I don't know if I am remembering the wrong name but they mentioned a play where I think they said it was Stevie Johnson that broke open in the end zone and Fitz missed b/c of his recurring accuracy issues. They didn't give a distance on the throw so I don't know if it was a deep pass that he just can't throw accurately or a short pass that he back-footed

effzee said:
Just read about the injuries to the Giants secondary. Holy hell they are completely decimated. Of course the new back ups for them will have career days now.
At least Prince is healthy and Coe is coming back so we're in a better position than we were in the opener. Losing Hosely again sucks. Trel isn't a loss in coverage but we'll miss his tackling ability at the line. UDFA Will Hill will likely start in his place if he can't go and he just told one of the beat reporters his playing is not a definite.

LJ11

I don't know if I am remembering the wrong name but they mentioned a play where I think they said it was Stevie Johnson that broke open in the end zone and Fitz missed b/c of his recurring accuracy issues. They didn't give a distance on the throw so I don't know if it was a deep pass that he just can't throw accurately or a short pass that he back-footed

Had Stevie on a fade, didn't even need to be a good throw, just above average. Stevie looked upset to be honest, wasn't a first this season. Failure to execute. Has so much trouble with that throw.

Pats game will be interesting, hard to run against, but they're vulnerable deep and over the middle.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Unfortunate about Kellen, but good to hear Hernandez is on the quick road to recovery. Low ankle sprain not nearly as bad.

Nori Chan

THURSDAY SEPT 27
CLE @ BAL

SUN SEPT 30
SD @ KC
SF @ NYJ
SEA @ STL
CAR @ ATL
MIN @ DET
NE @ BUF
TEN @ HOU

CIN @ JAC
MIA @ ARI
OAK @ DEN
WAS @ TB
NO @ GB YOLO PICK OF THE WEEK

NY @ PHI

MONDAY OCT 1
CHI @ DAL

bionic77

Kind of goes hand in hand, gotta have the horses to run the more exotic stuff. Right now, the Steeler D doesn't. However, I'd argue that passing games have so improved over the years that more and more teams are no longer afraid to attack it. It's been 4 years since the Steeler D forced bunches of turnovers and intimidated opponents. Ever since Warner figured out how to carve it up at the end of SBXLIII things really haven't been the same.
The main reason our pass D has been sucking is that we are not able to generate a consistent pass rush. Last year before his injury when Woodley was beasting our defense looked great. As soon as he got hurt everything went to shit. Unlike the Giants our pass rush comes entirely from Woodley and Harrison, if that is not working we have to dial up blitzes but those don't usually work against vet qb's unless used very sparingly and have to be set up by the D stopping something the offense is doing.

Even against the Cards Warner was not doing shit for 1.9 quarters until the Cards adjusted to Harrison and gave the LT some help (and the refs let him hold like a mofo). Once he was taken out of the game Warner was not worried about the rush and he picked our 2ndary apart.

Now that defenses cannot deliver huge hits to the qb it is difficult to intimidate them. The only way to counteract that is to either just have a shitton of talent on D the way the Niners do or to create a great pass rush the way the Giants have. You kind of have to suck for a long time to build up the talent the way the Niners have so to me it seems like the way to move forward right now against these pass whacky offenses is to copy the Giants. The Steelers D tries to be too balanced but I think you have to give up good LBs (not like we have those anyways) and put the majority of your draft into the line. I feel like the 4-3 generates a more consistent pass rush anyways so that seems to be an advantage in today's NFL as well.

And as far a LeBeau's calls, offenses never seem to be prepared for his blitzes but as long as he is coaching up the players from Monday to Saturday (not sure he is) I think we overstate the importance of the game calls on Sunday. Like you said, when you have a bunch of pro-bowlers on defense whatever you call is pretty much going to work.

Since we can't draft good talent in the middle of the season unless 2008 Harrison comes back to life in 2 weeks I think we have to make some serious adjustments to how we play defense. We are going to have ditch the zone and start playing more man to man and take more chances on defense. Sitting back with your ass cheeks spread wide open doesn't seem to work on the offenses we have played against so far. It stopped Sanchez, but unfortunately not every qb is that bad.

TheFatOne

I wonder why Winslow wanted to be released. Seems like a strange thing to do. Especially since the Pats would actually use him in games once he got the offense.

verbum

I wonder why Winslow wanted to be released. Seems like a strange thing to do. Especially since the Pats would actually use him in games once he got the offense.

What I read was that he was up to speed on the offensive gameplan and he caught one ball against Baltimore. Maybe his agent called and said someone was offering more money.

bionic77

Pete is going to ruin Wilson.

His "coaching" seems to be way too conservative and Wilson will never learn how to run a pro offense that way. Let the kid off the leash. He doesn't need to throw the ball away if his first read is not open (that seems to be what Carroll is telling him from what I got from the GB game, look for the first read, look for a running lane, if neither is there then throw away).

Otherwise they should start Flynn and let Wilson learn on the bench.

What a horribly run franchise!

methodman said:
What's his career stats look like? Just from being an nfl fan, off the top I'd say yes hes a Hall of famer, but I'd need the career stats to see if he goes first ballot
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StraMi02.htm

Strahan's 14 Year Career Stats:

667 Tackles
141.5 Sacks
15 Forced Fumbles
4 Int

Hold the record for the most sacks in a season: 22.5
Defensive Player of the Year in 2001
7 Time Pro Bowler
4 time First Team All Pro

Top Bottom