• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 4 |OT| Dewey Beats Truman

squicken

how are they "strike breakers"? They were not part of the ref union. If the players went on strike and the NFL asked me to play you goddamn right I would say yes, suck fucking ass on national TV, collect a pay check, and feel ZERO sympathy for a union of players who I have no allegiance to.

Whatever sympathies I have towards the displaced American worker does not extend to people making 6 figures on a part time job. I hope they make all they can, but there needed to be accountability, and hopefully there will be.

Replacements refs had no chance b/c of the scrutiny and the understanding by fans and media that there was a readily available, superior alternative. I think they made like $10k per game. That's good money but I can't imagine they had fun doing it

Fox318

how are they "strike breakers"? They were not part of the ref union. If the players went on strike and the NFL asked me to play you goddamn right I would say yes, suck fucking ass on national TV, collect a pay check, and feel ZERO sympathy for a union of players who I have no allegiance to.

They were either part of the ref fraternity (college, whom many of the NFL advise or work in coordination with) or complete failures in substandard leagues. They knew they could not be good or were too old to ever had a shot at being an official with their lack of skill so they sold out. They compromised the integrity of everything that the league represented and what their profession represents. They went out their on national tv, put their names out their and basically sold out for a fucking check.

Whenever people look up their name or any of their kids there will always be:"Wow did you know that Pats father was a complete and utter failure and was part of the worst ref crew in the history of professional sports?"

You going out their as a replacement player trying to win a job is one thing but these scabs knew that their was never going to be a future after this. They may have sold out their brothers in stripes but had it not been for their ineptitude we would not value quality officials like we do today.

As opposed to feeling bad for guys that wanted pensions for part time jobs?

While I will agree that the money they make is crazy the scabs proved that it is worth it. 2-3 PSL will pay per team for the officials anyway.

Also if you are working knowing that you are going to have a pension that shouldn't be taken away from you regardless of the profession.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Does anyone else kind of feel bad for the replacement refs? Granted they were out of their league, but they took a paying job and for the most part I think tried their best, they were just out of their element.

They're adding developmental refs now right?

I'd imagine they'll keep the best performing refs for that.

cashman

Banned
All I know is, at least with McCoy the Browns would be a 1-3 football team right now instead of 0-4 and on their way to drafting Barkley.

Actually, there was no strike, the real refs were locked out by the league. So any animosity towards the fake refs should really be directed towards the owners.

squicken

They're adding developmental refs now right?

I'd imagine they'll keep the best performing refs for that.

The thing about the fake refs was that they couldn't pull from the D1 ranks b/c those guys weren't going to sell out their "brothers". But now that the development program has a clear path to membership in the union, they'll draw from a more talented pool. But it seems like that would be a couple of years away

Fox318

REBQl.jpg

edit:

also the south park episode on football

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s16e08-sarcastaball

bigosc2k

Banned
Crap I forgot to do this before the game

THURSDAY SEPT 27
CLE @ BAL

SUN SEPT 30
SD @ KC
SF @ NYJ
SEA @ STL
CAR @ ATL
MIN @ DET
NE @ BUF
TEN @ HOU

CIN @ JAC
MIA @ ARI
OAK @ DEN
WAS @ TB
NO @ GB

NY @ PHI

MONDAY OCT 1
CHI @ DAL

Nameless

Let's be honest. In this day & age the Browns will never be able to sell enough star players on Cleveland being the city where they can maximize their financial, professional, and recreational potential or even come close. Why? Because it isn't. So, the same ole' story will continue to play out until they're sold.....again: They'll continue to put too much stress too soon on their young players and wonder why draft pick after draft pick implodes in on himself after a being forced to shoulder the burden of a shit franchise.

I like Trent Richardson. I'm rooting that he overcomes the odds and makes it to free agency before the Browns run him completely into upper mantle.

Let's be honest. In this day & age the Browns will never be able to sell enough star players on Cleveland being the city where they can maximize their financial, professional, and recreational potential or even come close. Why? Because it isn't. So, the same ole' story will continue to play out until they're sold.....again: They'll continue to put too much stress too soon on their young players and wonder why draft pick after draft pick implodes in on himself after a being forced to shoulder the burden of a shit franchise.

I like Trent Richardson. I'm rooting that he overcomes the odds and makes it to free agency before the Browns run him completely into upper mantle.

Am I crazy to think that their name and uniforms, as "historic" as they might be, work against them in that sense? I know we'd like to think that potential free agents don't care about that sort of thing, but it might just add to the drab and dreary perception. Everything about them screams "Boring".

cajunator

Banned
Am I crazy to think that their name and uniforms, as "historic" as they might be, work against them in that sense? I know we'd like to think that potential free agents don't care about that sort of thing, but it might just add to the drab and dreary perception. Everything about them screams "Boring".

Not really. Its kind of true.
Historic as it may be, the idea of brown uniforms and an all orange helmet is pretty dull.
Im kind of hoping that the Browns eventually take some risks with their image and redesign everything. It will piss off traditionalists but if they ever want to improve the franchise they will have to start with how its perceived.

Nameless

No question. The away jerseys aren't that bad actually but those fecal brown home unis definitely don't do them any [desperately needed] favors.

No question. The away jerseys aren't that bad actually but those fecal brown home unis definitely don't do them any [desperately needed] favors.
As a browns fan I actually love the new Nike brown Jeresys and hate the all white look, alot of fans feel the same. Idk why Holmgren and co I insist on going all white

Nameless

As a browns fan I actually love the new Nike brown Jeresys and hate the all white look, alot of fans feel the same. Idk why Holmgren and co I insist on going all white

You guys played the real Browns tonight, breh. Let all that go. What if I told you I could deliver you to a land where victory is promised to us all? A land where excellence is demanded and respect is taken by force. What I'm willing to do for you, Black Ghost, is give you the opportunity to cast aside the shit-stained rags and adorn yourself as a God would... regal & mighty in the sacred Scarlet & Gold.

cajunator

Banned
You guys played the real Browns tonight, breh. Let all that go. What if I told you I could deliver you to a land where victory is promised to us all? A land where excellence is demanded and respect is taken by force. What I'm willing to do for you, Black Ghost, is give you the opportunity to cast aside the shit-stained rags and adorn yourself as a God would... regal & mighty in the sacred Scarlet & Gold.

But then he would have to root for the shitty 49ers.

Let's be honest. In this day & age the Browns will never be able to sell enough star players on Cleveland being the city where they can maximize their financial, professional, and recreational potential or even come close. Why? Because it isn't.

This is bullshit, just like it is when it's said about any NFL team.

All Cleveland needs to do is win, and people will want to go there. this isn't the NBA where all the superstars rally to play on the Lakers and Heat and the other 28 teams have to kick and claw for talent.

KingGondo

Banned
All I know is, at least with McCoy the Browns would be a 1-3 football team right now instead of 0-4 and on their way to drafting Barkley.
They might have beaten Philly, but they wouldn't have been nearly as close to winning the other 3 as they were with Weeden. He kept them in those games.

If Greg Little had the skills of an actual NFL WR they beat Baltimore going away.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Complete and utter bullshit.

You're talking about the San Francisco 49ers right? The same team that until last year hadn't made the playoffs since about 2002 right? Didn't one of the previous head coaches pull his pants down then berate his team for a poor effort?

Yup excellence was demanded and respect sure was taken by force then during all those years of non-playoffs.

Amazing how much you can forget once a legit head coach shows up.

I was pretty tired from work so I passed out at half-time last night. I don't know what happened in the second half but I'm surprised the final score was so close. Of course, no one on ESPN actually wants to talk about the game, they're all too busy talking about how incredible the refs are.

Top Bottom