• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 4 |OT| Dewey Beats Truman

No fine for Jennings for throwing a punch. But no one cares about that little detail.
Right, hard to end somebody's career with a punch (when they're wearing a helmet).
Pretty sure he didn't throw a punch, anyway.

Launching helmet to helmet when the other guy's not involved with the play? No 15 yarder for that was the worst call of the game. Browner is trash. Doesn't even qualify as a cheap shot artist -- there was no artistry there.

A true Seahawks fan (like jakncoke!) would be ashamed, not scrambling to defend the clown!

squicken

I don't think they could ever kill off the Raiders brand. Its too iconic.

It's obviously loaded from a PR perspective, but the NFL isn't interested in people attracted to the Raiders image. They want a corporate crowd and an atmosphere that is family friendly. I don't have kids, but would people that do rather take their kids to a Raiders game in Oakland, or a Chiefs game in KC?

edit: The Browner fine is inexplicable. There has to be something else going on. Maybe the owners did some horse trading to get the refs deal done. I refuse to think they consider that an $8k penalty. Especially since he clearly did it to not only injure Jennings, but to bait him into a fight

It's obviously loaded from a PR perspective, but the NFL isn't interested in people attracted to the Raiders image. They want a corporate crowd and an atmosphere that is family friendly. I don't have kids, but would people that do rather take their kids to a Raiders game in Oakland, or a Chiefs game in KC?
Killing off the Raiders brand would be a mind-bogglingly stupid move, even for Goodell & co. There are 31 other "wholesome" teams (I'm being generous and including the Patriots), and the Raiders are an iconic and popular franchise.

It might be a valid reason to keep them out of LA, though. Give LA a harmless, loveable team that no one cares about, like the Bucs or Vikings!

e: That said, they should tighten up stadium security a bit, for obvious reasons.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Killing off the Raiders? That's the most absurd thing I've heard today since the amount of Browner's fine.

However!

It would not be surprised if they moved two teams to LA.

And I can imagine scrapping the Jaguars and starting with a fresh mascot there. I don't think that would ruffle too many feathers as would killing off the Raiders legacy.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Bold statement coming from a Pats fan. I may hate them, but at least they earned their Superbowl wins in a legitimate manner.

Weren't they known for a fairly dirty playing style when they were on top?

Cut Gator some slack, he's watched less football than Cajun.

Oakland is perfect for the Raiders. They should/will never move.

Actually I could see them in Detroit. Or the south side of Chicago. Pretty much the same place though.

blowncall.jpg
Exactly, without pictures to tell us the true story we'd have to trust the refs. Even the real refs make mistakes. Clearly the Pats just take this one step further, and perform the valuable public service of recording every opposing team's practices just in case the practice refs make a mistake.

Thank you Bill Belichick!

Rorschach

The NFL writer for the LAT has talked about the issue with the LA thing lots of times

1. It's so far off, though maybe that doctor guy gets it done fast

2. League loves having LA open as leverage for teams seeking new stadiums

3. League will control the process, and whoever moves will pay a huge relocation fee

I've also read that the league doesn't like Davis as an owner. They worry about his cash flow. Also, with falling attendance, the league doesn't want NFL games perceived as something you can't take your kids to. They view the Raider brand as a liability.

It's partly why there's a holdup on any serious plans to share the 49ers stadium. The league wants Davis to sell the team and have the Raiders brand killed off, with the new team essentially an expansion team that inherits the Raiders players and staff
League has always hated Al Davis, but they were hoping they could shape Mark. As for point 2, that's blatantly true, but it doesn't outweigh the possible revenue, a free stadium, and a market ripe for the pickin'. Look at what we pay for Lakers tickets!

I think the whole "league's trying to kill the Raiders brand" thing is conspiracy shit.

squicken

So do I! But by the time they move there Harbs will have signed Bradford off the scrap heap and they'll be hoisting their 2nd or 3rd SB trophy

KingGondo

Banned
Sitting on the porch of some log cabin near Acadia National Park while rain is falling, drinking Narragansett (actually not that bad) and reading GAF. I fucking love this future we're living in.
Lucky! Acadia is absolutely beautiful. Went a couple summers ago with my wife's family (who live in Maine).

NawidA

Banned
In terms of iconic teams only the Cowboys, 49ers, Packers, Steelers, Bears, and maybe Broncos can compare with the Raiders.

Top Bottom