• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 4 |OT| Dewey Beats Truman

Spinluck

In terms of iconic teams only the Cowboys, 49ers, Packers, Steelers, Bears, and maybe Broncos can compare with the Raiders.

But Johnny Unitas didn't play for any of those teams.

Also, the Giants are certainly on that list too, how dare you.

Lol.

Slo

But Johnny Unitas didn't play for any of those teams.

Also, the Giants are certainly on that list too, how dare you.

Lol.

The problem with the Giants is that even though they keep stacking up SB rings, they never really have had a dynasty. They keep coming out of nowhere 9-7 to snipe a SB ring with Jeff Hostetler's daughter playing QB.

Hardly iconic.

bionic77

I know it's common on GAF to discount anything before 1970 as having any relevance, but the NFC championship trophy is named after George Halas for a reason. And the reason is not the Bears sucking.

Though rumor has it that the Bears do, in fact, still suck.
Pre-SB counts, but not for much.

Currently I rate it as a valuable as a fan winning a Madden or Fantasy league but slightly below a pro bowl victory.

Slo

I know it's common on GAF to discount anything before 1970 as having any relevance, but the NFC championship trophy is named after George Halas for a reason. And the reason is not the Bears sucking.

Though rumor has it that the Bears do, in fact, still suck.

I don't know dude, I think everything Super Bowl I and beyond counts for a lot, but once you start getting into piano movers wearing leather helmets on their days off it starts getting hard to take them seriously.

Spinluck

The problem with the Giants is that even though they keep stacking up SB rings, they never really have had a dynasty. They keep coming out of nowhere 9-7 to snipe a SB ring with Jeff Hostetler's daughter playing QB.

Hardly iconic.

In the Superbowl era, they've won 4 yes, but technically they have a total of 8 Championships, and have been around since the start if Football.

Not to mention the city they represent, they're iconic.

EDIT: Not sure it matters that what record they've had win they won those titles though. They've accomplished some things that other franchises can only dream of.

Slo

In the Superbowl era, they've won 4 yes, but technically they have a total of 8 Championships, and have been around since the start if Football.

Not to mention the city they represent, they're iconic.

EDIT: Not sure it matters that what record they've had win they won those titles though. They've accomplished some things that other franchises can only dream of.

Okay, so now help me make the argument of why the Browns and the Jets aren't iconic.

From the 20s you have the Bears, Packers and Giants, I'd say they're all iconic. From the early 30s you have the Steelers, Eagles and Redskins. Steelers certainly didn't become iconic until the 70s...Eagles probably not, but Skins could be argued for, they won titles back then and SBs later. From the 50s you have the Browns, Colts and 49ers. Browns were iconic back then, that's for sure, not so much now. Colts were with Unitas and kind of became so again with Manning. And of course we know the Niners success. 60s you have the Cowboys and the AFL guys, of which the Raiders certainly became the most iconic. And that's my list.

Spinluck

From the 20s you have the Bears, Packers and Giants, I'd say they're all iconic. From the early 30s you have the Steelers, Eagles and Redskins. Steelers certainly didn't become iconic until the 70s...Eagles probably not, but Skins could be argued for, they won titles back then and SBs later. From the 50s you have the Browns, Colts and 49ers. Browns were iconic back then, that's for sure, not so much now. Colts were with Unitas and kind of became so again with Manning. And of course we know the Niners success. 60s you have the Cowboys and the AFL guys, of which the Raiders certainly became the most iconic. And that's my list.

I agree, and I'd put the Colts on there because of Unitas alone. Manning also helps.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
DID SOMEBODY SAY ICONIC?
oj-simpson-glove.jpg

WE WIN MOTHERFUCKERS

Okay, so now help me make the argument of why the Browns and the Jets aren't iconic.

Browns used to be, but aren't any longer. Losing the team and coming back with a shittier one dashed their icon status. Jets did something iconic, but I wouldn't call them an iconic team, if that makes any sense.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's easier to list the teams that aren't iconic....

Panthers
Bucs
Saints
Falcons
Titans
Texans
Jaguars
Chargers
Seahawks
Cardinals
Rams
Ravens
Bengals

WanderingWind

Domes suck.

Plus, dome teams rarely win it all. Thankfully Minnesota didn't get the memo!

To me football is muddy uniforms, snowy fields, the qb going to line, breath freezing in the air. Hard hits, and game clinching finales that drive the fans and players crazy.

We now have artificial turf, domes, fines for every hit, and every play is reviewed until it's no longer exciting. The game is still entertaining, but any fool can see that it's changed into something substantially different than 20 years ago. Like everything, I suppose. But football is definitely not the game of inches it used to be.

bionic77

To me football is muddy uniforms, snowy fields, the qb going to line, breath freezing in the air. Hard hits, and game clinching finales that drive the fans and players crazy.

We now have artificial turf, domes, fines for every hit, and every play is reviewed until it's no longer exciting. The game is still entertaining, but any fool can see that it's changed into something substantially different than 20 years ago. Like everything, I suppose. But football is definitely not the game of inches it used to be.
I kind of enjoyed the way the scab refs let defenders molest receivers. Wish we could get back to that without the helmet to helmet hits.

I kind of enjoyed the way the scab refs let defenders molest receivers. Wish we could get back to that without the helmet to helmet hits.
In general, I prefer the current playoff ruleset of letting teams get away with basically anything that isn't blatant. Wish the regular season games were officiated with the same leniency.

Barrage

We also have Superbowl MVPs who regret ever having played the game. Maybe some change isn't the end of the world.

And I'll be damned if I know what a catch is.

WanderingWind

We also have Superbowl MVPs who regret ever having played the game. Maybe some change isn't the end of the world.

And we have a black president from Hawaii. Maybe some posts aren't relevant to anything.

Nobody said it was the end of the world. Just that it has unequivacably changed. Which is fact. Don't read too much into it

And yeah. What the fuck is a catch any longer? That stuff needs unfucked immediately.

Drakeon

Texans is not going to be iconic after their first playoff last year.

So... Are we to judge every team by their first playoff loss? I don't understand your logic here. The texans playing with a 3rd string QB lost to a pretty good balitmore ravens team in baltimore and that means they'll never be iconic? what?

cajunator

Banned
I was bored today and went to every team website and did the 3D stadium tours. the Carolina Panthers surprisingly have the most impressive stadium in terms of club designs and shit. Some really cool stuff. Must cost a fucking fortune to rent these club suites.
The only suite I have been in in the Superdome was the normal ones on the 50 yard line. Its a nice way to watch a game though.

squicken

Top Bottom