• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 4 |OT| Dewey Beats Truman

cajunator

Banned
Cut Gator some slack, he's watched less football than Cajun.

Oakland is perfect for the Raiders. They should/will never move.

Actually to clarify a bit, I have watched quite a bit of football since childhood. I wasn't aware of the rules enough to appreciate it until 2004, when I decided to start following it to the level I do now.
I have been to LSU and ULL games as a kid for example, but I didnt appreciate it back then. Still rooted for LSU and the Saints, but as a family thing. I had no choice but to be exposed to football from an early age because all of my relatives are diehard fans of the Louisiana teams. Personally I was more into doing stuff like building models and legos and videogames than football.

squicken

The Raiders brand is iconic to anyone who knows anything about football

I know this looks like I'm trolling you guys but I'm not. But the league doesn't care about informed sports fans. It cares about people who buy tickets, regardless of how informed they are. They struggled to draw in LA, and they struggled to draw in Oakland, twice

Who knows? Supposedly Al had a secret plan to make sure that on his wife's passing (she technically owns the team) that the estate taxes could be paid and Mark would keep controlling interest

I'll stop now

cajunator

Banned
I know this looks like I'm trolling you guys but I'm not. But the league doesn't care about informed sports fans. It cares about people who buy tickets, regardless of how informed they are. They struggled to draw in LA, and they struggled to draw in Oakland, twice

Who knows? Supposedly Al had a secret plan to make sure that on his wife's passing (she technically owns the team) that the estate taxes could be paid and Mark would keep controlling interest

I'll stop now

I would normally discount this as a myth and stupid lies because of legendary things like the classic uniform and the song autumn wind, but then I remembered this is a league that is replacing Steve Sabol's legacy with NFL TOP TEN FACTS NOBODY GIVES A FUCK ABOUT. Its a sad transition but the Raiders lore doesn't fit in it anymore.

beast786

In terms of iconic teams only the Cowboys, 49ers, Packers, Steelers, Bears, and maybe Broncos can compare with the Raiders.

bears... What's so iconic about bears? 1 Super Bowl?

no way in Super Bowl era. he'll I say Vikings over bears. at least Viking had Brett favre.

cajunator

Banned
I seriously hope they don't get away from the Raiders name or identity. It fits the rough edged Oakland, whether anyone likes it or not. Its absolutely perfect.
Actually the league right now is as perfect as it could ever be. Just the right amount of teams and the right cities. the only exception might be Tampa or Jacksonville but the fans that are there are no doubt resentful of moving the team. The problem is that just not enough of them seem to care.

NFL playbook on nfln is brilliant.

Shannon Sharpe: You dont get to see the videos we do, but there was a play last week where shonne greene had a HUGE hole on the left, but instead takes it up the middle for no gain!

but they don't show any video of this play. thumbs up

cajunator

Banned
NFL playbook on nfln is brilliant.

Shannon Sharpe: You dont get to see the videos we do, but there was a play last week where shonne greene had a HUGE hole on the left, but instead takes it up the middle for no gain!

but they don't show any video of this play. thumbs up

I do like when they go over big plays in games and stuff like that.
NFL Network is getting pretty insufferable lately though.

beast786

I seriously hope they don't get away from the Raiders name or identity. It fits the rough edged Oakland, whether anyone likes it or not. Its absolutely perfect.
Actually the league right now is as perfect as it could ever be. Just the right amount of teams and the right cities. the only exception might be Tampa or Jacksonville but the fans that are there are no doubt resentful of moving the team. The problem is that just not enough of them seem to care.

What about Nebraska Omaha ? They have one in Tennessee .

Ugh. How does that even happen?
When I puke, I at least realize it in advance.

I don't even know man! I pas just partying, it was late so I picked up my jacked and it was all disgusting and stuff. It smelled like old milk. Pretty horrible.

Keith Urban is one of the most amazing artists out there today.

Wrayfield

in his defense, he is a lions fan. he probably considers championships in the 40's or 50's or whenever the lions last won to be meaningful (which they are not)

Yeah, well... didn't wanna rub it in. Last time the Dolphins won something relevant I was like -3. It's just, I'm defensively-minded, I really appreciate superior Ds (except Jets, that's another story, douchiness offsets good D :p).......

I'll stop now

If you're just talking about ticket sales, the Raiders do alright, it's been a tough decade, but they usually sell out their home games (last year and this year, so far) and they've always done alright in that regard.

In LA they played at the rose bowl along with the Rams and rarely sold out because it's a 90k seat stadium. Al moved them back to Oakland, because Oakland renovated the stadium and the NFL charged him no relocation fee on top of that, they lured the team back, just like LA lured him to move there with a new stadium deal in 83.

The Raiders are up there with the Packers, Cowboys and Steelers and Bears in terms of brand, and they don't have as much negative gangsta stigma attached to them as they did back in the early 90s. And their hardcore fans aren't any worse than any other team enthusiasts.

They just need a new stadium, the move wouldn't be about drawing fans or ticket sales.

WedgeX

Banned

no way in Super Bowl era. he'll I say Vikings over bears. at least Viking had Brett favre.

SNL made the Bears iconic.

ibitYYKH9oYRj6.jpg

Al Davis' senility drove the Raiders into the ground so badly that people forget they really are an iconic team. Most of the biggest teams (Steelers, Cowboys, Dolphins, Raiders) that have nationwide fan bases were the ones that had the most success in the 60s and 70s, when the NFL really exploded. Whoever buys that team will strike oil.

Drakeon

I love to laugh at the bears misfortune as much as anyone, but there is no way in hell the Vikings are more iconic than the bears. Bears are, and have been, iconic since 85.

I know it's common on GAF to discount anything before 1970 as having any relevance, but the NFC championship trophy is named after George Halas for a reason. And the reason is not the Bears sucking.

Though rumor has it that the Bears do, in fact, still suck.

cdyhybrid

I'll stop now

It's all about merchandise man. Hats, t-shirts, jerseys, etc. The Raiders sell a SHITLOAD and people buy their shit no matter how bad the team is.

I'll stop now

They don't draw because their stadium is a complete dump in a shitty area. Even Raider fans don't like going there.

eznark

Banned
^ My guess is because the Podcacst app is a flaming pile of shit.

Looks like I need my AGod avatar starting tomorrow. Bucket? buuuuuuuuuuuuucket??

Slo

In terms of iconic teams only the Cowboys, 49ers, Packers, Steelers, Bears, and maybe Broncos can compare with the Raiders.

Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders

That's the NFL Mount Rushmore. The only team you could really argue for is the 49ers. Everybody else is a pretender.

JaMarco

Patriots DE Chandler Jones second quarter forced fumble of Kolb in Week 2 has been changed to a strip-sack. He now has 2.0 sacks on season.
Good, even though I'm not sure that one was a sack, he got robbed of one by those shitty refs in the Balt game anyway.

Top Bottom